Path of Exile

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'm just getting to act 8 and starting to regret my decision to go melee now. There are a couple mods, not sure what they are cause I don't read names, that shoot out approximately 80 (exaggeration) volatile flameblood style projectiles. The problem is they are pretty small which makes them really hard to see and they come from the boss so when you're in melee range you just explode before you even realize what is going on.

One of these ball attacks is black and virtually impossible to see because fucking everything on the screen is black and spewing shit everywhere. The other is blueish (probably an ice version, maybe there are ones for fire/lightning too that I just haven't seen yet) and easier to see but still has the issue of them spawning right on top of you in the middle of a clusterfuck when you're melee.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
My guess is the p2w crap that gets offloaded to the Chinese version keeps ten cent happy and provides ggg with the deep pockets they can use to make the game however they want. Kind of a dream gig for chris Wilson and any hardcore game devs/gamers really. I’m definitely in the ‘don’t really have a grasp on 80% of endgame but appreciate its there’ category. Hope it stays complicated because there’s plenty of simple shit other games to turn to if you want it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Still some bugs:

I believe that's the classic one most people have experienced now. Probably just an invisible black pool under me that exploded. You can see the black stuff hit and poison me, but it directly targetted me out of line of sight. Neat!

This one is more interesting. A mob with "allies cannot die" spawned at the Meta pod. I ran the meta way, died, and then this happened. Not anywhere CLOSE to the meta, but still cannot die. Have to run all the way back and clear adds to finally kill it. I'm very thankful it just stood there at least instead of just owning me over and over.

Also the adds you spawn during Meta can drop maps. I killed a meta then went back for adds and they dropped a few maps. Nice they have their own loot table.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yes it is worth doing Metamorphs lol. First zone in act 3 I did today when I logged did metamorphs. Got 3 uniques and some other stuff.

One jewel sold for 75c.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
My guess is the p2w crap that gets offloaded to the Chinese version keeps ten cent happy and provides ggg with the deep pockets they can use to make the game however they want. Kind of a dream gig for chris Wilson and any hardcore game devs/gamers really. I’m definitely in the ‘don’t really have a grasp on 80% of endgame but appreciate its there’ category. Hope it stays complicated because there’s plenty of simple shit other games to turn to if you want it.

I'd pay a bit of money for the "p2w" currency-pickup pets China gets.

• 1Blown
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'd pay a bit of money for the "p2w" currency-pickup pets China gets.

You wouldn't pay the amount they charge for it. They've got that shit down to some kind of Machiavellia-science. You can get a pet for 10$! But the pet only picks up transmutations! But you can upgrade it to pick up alchs as well for 10$! You can get a second pet, but he's a rare drop out of a loot box, then you need to breed him with the first pet and now the baby can pick up only transmutations again, but he does it slightly faster!

Go look at how it works in something like Black Desert. It's a fucking wasteland.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
... sign me up for the would-pay-stupid-money for a pet that looted shit, even if its just alts/chances/trans/scrolls.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Still some bugs:

I believe that's the classic one most people have experienced now. Probably just an invisible black pool under me that exploded. You can see the black stuff hit and poison me, but it directly targetted me out of line of sight. Neat!

This one is more interesting. A mob with "allies cannot die" spawned at the Meta pod. I ran the meta way, died, and then this happened. Not anywhere CLOSE to the meta, but still cannot die. Have to run all the way back and clear adds to finally kill it. I'm very thankful it just stood there at least instead of just owning me over and over.

Also the adds you spawn during Meta can drop maps. I killed a meta then went back for adds and they dropped a few maps. Nice they have their own loot table.
Gotta be carefull with the black explosions, that shit can go off like 20 seconds after you kill the boss. I always sit away for a few seconds to see if stuff starts to bubble before I move in and loot.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
One of the big issues(IMO)is that people go into a new league(especially if they haven't played in a league or two)thinking they need to do everything. You don't, at all. A lot of prior league mechanics can just be flat out ignored. Hell, even current league mechanics can be ignored, honestly. GGG has a very noticeable "choose your own adventure" approach to endgame and its mechanics.

For instance: I still don't really fully comprehend Betrayal mechanics. Intelligence took way too fucking long to gather when it was the actual league and it's even worse now that it isn't. Not to mention the whole capture, bargain, kill, etc. bullshit. So, I just flat out ignore Jun missions/betrayal mechanics. A lot of people find Incursions to be a waste of time and while I agree the loot often isn't worth the time investment, there's just something I absolutely fucking love about Incursion(probably my favorite league of all-time, but Metamorph might surpass that once they add auto-pickup). So, I spend extra time doing Alva's missions, even though other people find it inefficient. Delve is another one that is a fan favorite but I'm just not a fan of the whole "darkness" mechanic/gameplay, so I mostly ignore it as well. Don't even get me started on Blight. I'm here to play an ARPG, fuck off with your tower defense bullshit..(but I still recognize that some people like that kind of stuff for the variety it brings).

I will agree with you that GGG probably needs to do a better job of tutorials/explanations, but I think a lot of companies are moving away from that with how popular Twitch and YouTube have become. There's so many fucking sources of information now that if you don't really comprehend something, you either don't care enough to learn, or don't feel that it's worth your time. There is a huge amount of complexity to the game and a lot of it might seem daunting to a new player but you honestly will waste a ton of time and remain very inefficient if you try to do "all the things"(I do think GGG needs to do a better job explaining this part, specifically). You're far better off just flat out ignoring the shit you don't really understand/doesn't make sense and focusing your efforts on the mechanics/gameplay that are fun/make sense.

One of my little issues is how this whole mob buffing went - Hey, let's make everything take a little longer to kill so that the players have to actually deal with mechanics. Okay, that sounds great - cut and paste an increase across the board.

Then you take your fledgling build into an Incursion and good luck with that timer as you grind down on that rare hoping for a stone to drop. And have to walk past all the Delve rares because they take too long to kill unless you kite them all to the end.

I have not had a hard time with dying leveling up a generic dual wield cyclone build. I know enough about defense in this game that dying isn't an issue - but when I am sitting there grinding away slowly at a Metamorph boss or a Einhar red or an Incursion rare I have found myself rolling my eyes at the TIME it takes. It will ease once I min/max the build, but as you are building to a goal it is fucking annoying and is killing the fun.

Also, to the point of complexity - it's just too much. Those of us who have played forever, we don't even notice. But the very first map I ran this league had a breach, a Lab trial, and at least one other objective I cannot remember, on top of the Metamorph, to the point it felt like busy-work before I could "complete the map".

• 1Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Game started hard crashing to desktop all of the sudden. I get about half way through a zone just fine then I’ll engage a pack of mobs and the game just nopes out. No idea what it could possibly be, it just started happening in the middle of a game session and has persisted since then. It’s not really bothering me enough to try and fix it, I should probably be taking a break from the game anyway. Could be time to try grim dawn.

Caliane

incursion doesnt start till end of act 7 to be fair. level 54. its no accident its well into the game now. your build should be able to handle it.

Too much shit going on. That 100%. its about pacing in a map. Way too much stop and go. Leaving the map, to do mini-zones.. I can't believe they put vaal zones into maps. yeah, they are neat while leveling. but that is exactly the kind of shit thats killing running maps.

Borzak

Pretty sure they really wanted to slow the game down. Vaal areas. Having to see what parts to put into the metamorph and such.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Also, to the point of complexity - it's just too much. Those of us who have played forever, we don't even notice. But the very first map I ran this league had a breach, a Lab trial, and at least one other objective I cannot remember, on top of the Metamorph, to the point it felt like busy-work before I could "complete the map".

It's only "busy work" if you're approaching it from a "completionist" mindset/standpoint. Literally all of the stuff you claim you had to do was entirely optional, sans maybe the lab trial (which are fucking awful and need to change, I agree). There's nothing preventing you from rushing to the boss, killing him, and moving on to the next map. Hell, in many ways, that's actually the most currency efficient way to do it.

In terms of bosses/rares seemingly taking longer to kill, that's mostly a product of your build. There's some builds that have a very high floor but their ceiling is relatively low - these are mostly the builds that people consider "starter" builds. Great at the beginning to get some initial currency and farming in, but a lot of them start to peter out toward higher tier maps/bosses. Then there are builds which take fucking forever to ramp up because of gear requirements but are absolute monsters once you've gathered all the necessary items. These are those builds that you'd see move Shaper phases in 2-3 seconds.

Now, with that said, it's very obvious they've ramped up a lot of bosses and rares across the board. However, players have been scaling for months/years without any of these values being touched. So, we were at a point where player power had gotten so insane that you were able to mostly just flat out ignore boss mechanics (Shaper is a great example of this). Whether or not you think that's a good thing is up for you to decide. Personally, I'm a fan of the increased difficulty, but I really think GGG needs to implement either a combat log or at least some sort of death "recap" situation where you can see exactly what mechanic did you in.

• 1Like

Borzak

That is something I've heard everal people in this thread talk about when they start playing. What killed me?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
3 Awakeners down now, not to the big boy 32 one yet and here is my luck vs gaunts lol

1576696079966.png

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I leveled cyclone and it was fine, but I had to buy some actual unique weapons that were somewhat relevant to my level. I think that's the issue with leveling that I've found, spells scale so much easier?

Pre cyclone, god did it take 5-10 minutes of perforating the act 1 boss to death. Balls it was awful