Path of Exile

khalid

Unelected Mod
Started playing this a few days ago, if someone can ginvite would be great.

IGN: Khalidra, 44 witch

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm away on vacation but everyone in the guild today got promoted to officer so if you're already in the guild please help by inviting people requesting invites in this thread.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Ok, I?m looking to get into this. What server/shard/world whatever should I play on? I like caster types so I guess I?ll create a witch? Any other pointers/things I should know?

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Ok, I?m looking to get into this. What server/shard/world whatever should I play on? I like caster types so I guess I?ll create a witch? Any other pointers/things I should know?
Same. Need a new guy primer. Viable builds, how to level, etc. Looking to play on hardcore.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Same. Need a new guy primer. Viable builds, how to level, etc. Looking to play on hardcore.
Marauder is good first choice.
Forum - Marauder - 1.0.0 [Newbie Friendly] MARAUDER MELEE BUILD v5.1 - Path of ExileResolute Technique is my favorite passive in the entire game.
Start out like thisPassive Skill Tree - Path of Exileor what I do isPassive Skill Tree - Path of Exiledown side of second option is end game your resists won't be where they need to be but if you plan on switching chars anyhow it won't matter.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I would highly recommend playing 1 character on non-hardcore(normal mode) through at least normal difficulty, if only to get down the basic mechanics of the game and see a wide variety of encounters and enemies.

At that point if you feel comfortable in what you are doing, switch over to Hardcore/Nemesis. Getting beat down and losing your character before you really even have the basics figured out would be quite frustrating.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I would highly recommend playing 1 character on non-hardcore(normal mode) through at least normal difficulty, if only to get down the basic mechanics of the game and see a wide variety of encounters and enemies.

At that point if you feel comfortable in what you are doing, switch over to Hardcore/Nemesis. Getting beat down and losing your character before you really even have the basics figured out would be quite frustrating.
If you die in Hardcore that char becomes standard, you don't actually lose anything besides higher chance of better loot or whatever the rule is.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
True, but you might as well just start there because you'll end up there pretty quick anyways, lol.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Marauder is good first choice.
Forum - Marauder - 1.0.0 [Newbie Friendly] MARAUDER MELEE BUILD v5.1 - Path of ExileResolute Technique is my favorite passive in the entire game.
Start out like thisPassive Skill Tree - Path of Exileor what I do isPassive Skill Tree - Path of Exiledown side of second option is end game your resists won't be where they need to be but if you plan on switching chars anyhow it won't matter.
Ok, I`ll try that and what's ideal way to level in hardcore? I'm guessing there are grind spots and you don't just plow your way through.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hardcore takes some careful balancing. You don't want to be under-leveled for an area and get killed, but if you over-level everything too far, your loot drops suffer.
There is a penalty to the chance of currency items (scrolls, orbs, etc.) dropping in areas with a monster level more than two levels lower than your character level. For each additional level that you have compared to the area's monster level+2, the chance of a currency item drop is reduced by 2.5%.

So if you are level 30 in a level 20 area, you will see 20% less currency item drops on average:
2.5*(30-(20+2))=20

A level 30 character in a level 28 area will see no penalty.

Currency item drops are not increased or decreased in this way when fighting in areas above your level.

For the purposes of this penalty, your level is never considered to be higher than 68[3][4]. Therefore a level 75 character receives no penalty in a level 66 area.
So in hardcore, I generally try to stay anywhere from 2-4 levels above the zones I'm in. I don't mind a little bit of a penalty, but I don't want to be losing out on double-digit percents in drops.

But generally speaking in hardcore, use almost all of your skill points in defensive skills (HP, energy shield bonuses, armor, evasion, + all resists, etc). You really don't need hardly any offensive skill points to keep your DPS up, your DPS is going to be more dependent on your gear than any skill points.

Goonsquad Officer
I've been playing as a curse, minion necro. i recently came to the realization that my gear is bad
smile.png

I have a lot of mixed gear, and a lot of % more energy shield passives, but don't have a ton of energy shield gear. So I'm slowly hunting out gear with teh slots i want. I'm a funny mix of strength and int. using spell totem and wanting to run more auras (pushing to get aura cost reductions so i can run vitality and clarity without a problem. vitality for my minions would be good, jerks keep slowly whittling down due to no healing.

I've kind of forsaken my damage spells and I may just pick up the 'two totems but no DPS from me' talent. does anyone know if that still allows me to double curse (even the damaging curses? like the punishment one?)

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
How do you guys play on hardcore? I desync at least three or four times an hour, despite usually having a sub 60 ping. Playing a leap attack marauder is like stabbing myself in the eye with a rusty fork.

Also, why can't I make a nemesis character then have it go to Domination if it dies? all my other characters are domination, why would I want one character to go to standard? Or can you still trade shit back and forth between them?

I want to play hardcore but I dunno if I can get past the desync. I died six or seven times going through normal and I bet 5 of them were due to that shit. How do most of you handle that on the harder difficulties?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How do you guys play on hardcore? I desync at least three or four times an hour, despite usually having a sub 60 ping. Playing a leap attack marauder is like stabbing myself in the eye with a rusty fork.
Movement skills desync more than everything else. I've played almost exclusively hardcore, and I have never died to desyn. I've desynced like everyone at some point, but I desync very rarely(even when I had to play on the US gateway due to my routing to euro one being fucked so I had 90-130ping). Part of it is understanding what cause desyncs, and not doing these things.

I never run through mobs unless absolutely necessary and even then I'll take the safest path possible(which is away from as many monsters as possible, since most desyncs are caused by pathing being blocked by mobs and rubberbanding back once the server sends the client a fuck you message). I always use Shift(technically space since rebound)+attack as a melee in tight places/buildings/doors/wherever a desync would matter, which ends up being almost everywhere unless I'm like powerlvling in full uniques and there's literally 0risks of dying. I don't spam movement abilities, I use them a few times then force a resync with /oos or by simply breaking jars/crates by clicking on them., unless I'm spamming them to navigate through an empty area or through a low level area(farming normal gems by running alts with my high lvl).

I've never done a leapslam or flicker build because of how unreliable they are, but did level as leap slam with 2H for a bit, mostly in normal, low risk to die to desync at that point, no point since Spectral Throw addition though. I always keep an eye for stuff that looks out of place, mobs not attacking me even though they're in melee range, traps not being thrown or being thrown from another location, these are a clear sign of desync and I'll /oos right away.

Oh and I don't fuck around with Brutus/Kole, I skip Kole almost always, or I facetank them. I will sometimes range kill them but I will always stay at long range, expect to get pulled even though I shouldn't, and definitely NEVER run around pillars or random shit as a way to kite them, as that will always desync them(especially brutus has a lot of walls like that in the room and if you start kiting around them, you're gonna get fucked, hell he can actually bodyblock you against a wall easily).

I didn't die often overall. I mostly died to playing recklessly while leveling and running into a bunch of shit that I shoudn't have ran into, or against bosses like merc vaal(low armor/health, got rocked three times in a row) or merc piety(including one death to her getting both ice and fireform at the same time, shooting arrows while moving at max speed, fun times). At the very least this game lets you log out/port out near instantly if there's a major fuckup, so it's not as easy to die to something out of your control. If you play D3 HC, you'll die anytime you lose your connection for example.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Movement skills desync more than everything else. I've played almost exclusively hardcore, and I have never died to desyn. I've desynced like everyone at some point, but I desync very rarely(even when I had to play on the US gateway due to my routing to euro one being fucked so I had 90-130ping). Part of it is understanding what cause desyncs, and not doing these things.

I never run through mobs unless absolutely necessary and even then I'll take the safest path possible(which is away from as many monsters as possible, since most desyncs are caused by pathing being blocked by mobs and rubberbanding back once the server sends the client a fuck you message). I always use Shift(technically space since rebound)+attack as a melee in tight places/buildings/doors/wherever a desync would matter, which ends up being almost everywhere unless I'm like powerlvling in full uniques and there's literally 0risks of dying. I don't spam movement abilities, I use them a few times then force a resync with /oos or by simply breaking jars/crates by clicking on them., unless I'm spamming them to navigate through an empty area or through a low level area(farming normal gems by running alts with my high lvl).

I've never done a leapslam or flicker build because of how unreliable they are, but did level as leap slam with 2H for a bit, mostly in normal, low risk to die to desync at that point, no point since Spectral Throw addition though. I always keep an eye for stuff that looks out of place, mobs not attacking me even though they're in melee range, traps not being thrown or being thrown from another location, these are a clear sign of desync and I'll /oos right away.

Oh and I don't fuck around with Brutus/Kole, I skip Kole almost always, or I facetank them. I will sometimes range kill them but I will always stay at long range, expect to get pulled even though I shouldn't, and definitely NEVER run around pillars or random shit as a way to kite them, as that will always desync them(especially brutus has a lot of walls like that in the room and if you start kiting around them, you're gonna get fucked, hell he can actually bodyblock you against a wall easily).

I didn't die often overall. I mostly died to playing recklessly while leveling and running into a bunch of shit that I shoudn't have ran into, or against bosses like merc vaal(low armor/health, got rocked three times in a row) or merc piety(including one death to her getting both ice and fireform at the same time, shooting arrows while moving at max speed, fun times). At the very least this game lets you log out/port out near instantly if there's a major fuckup, so it's not as easy to die to something out of your control. If you play D3 HC, you'll die anytime you lose your connection for example.
Preemptive use of granite flasks helps. Ground slam builds are nice because you can avoid getting hit in melee most of the time due to stun lock and you should know when you are about to get hit and pop a granite before hand.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I exclusively play hardcore, and I've never died to a desync. Then again, I tend to not play melee builds, and the few I do play definitely aren't fast-moving ones (flicker strike, ground slam, lightning warp, etc). I tend to lean towards ranged builds more than anything (casters and bow builds) and desync is not an issue with those at all.