Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Minion build is boring but autobomber isn't?

I'm trying to find a second build since as I mentioned last night it seems quite likely this is my last run at PoE. Looked at a whole bunch of stuff but I keep coming back to Ghazzy's spectre build (which was my league starter, but it got sidelined in A10 because I realized that his "budget/starter" version was actually around 10-15ex worth of gear at the time). The gear is somewhat cheaper now though, except that he has just about single-handedly ruined the market for Harbinger belts with his video talking about how the upgraded version is superior to HH. The character is already L66 and since I despise leveling in this game that alone is a huge plus in the Pro column. I never got to the point of actually using Redemption Sentries, but I don't think I've seen another build that combines insane clear speed with very high single target damage and the survivability that comes from a minion build. At least not at that budget anyway. It just looks like fun too.

Autobomber has superior clear, popping whole screens in a way dom blow nor hop can. Plus, you have more control due to only 50% of your dps coming from HoT. I often feel like I'm dragging my minions around like a distracted dog on a leash. Autobomber can feel that way if HoT decides to ping some meaty targets without killing them, but that's rare. Also solvable by getting more dps.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I enjoyed champ flicker in metamorph so i made a raider cold flicker striker after i wasnt too happy with spellslinger vd and chief tec slam... And alltough the dps isn't just boom and dead it's enough to kill guardians in a few seconds so they usually don't have time to do anything anyway. I also get to move fast and have some survivability with Freezes, dodge chance, flesh and stone blind, insta enduring cry on sub 4 sec recharge and overleech, also permanent ele ailment immunity, phasing and onslaught. I suppose having some scaling on phys explosion damage is a good thing too. Bad is going in cold with no frenzy charges, especially if i somehow interrupt the attack, can have a 2 second cooldown in that case.

most things between 100% to 50% or so self made alltough i still have some anul+aug work to do and i want to + culling strike - strength on another pair of gloves, but that would need a shaper ring with t1 strenght, also wanna upgrade some jewels. It wouldn't be very cheap just buying all this though and the power level would be a whole lot less in any other league.

Xevy

Log Wizard
A8 just dropped Awakened GMP, Awakener orb, small -11 thread of hope, and an 86 hunter's reaver sword that rolled Merciless (T1 %phys). That's a good one.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Whoa nice

So swapped Ash for running detonate dead. I’ll try to math out dps this weekend. My head hurt from doing math at work today, but it FELT like more damage on bosses.

Also picked up divine flesh.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are you still doing Spellslinger VD/DD?

If so, use Vaal DD. It's very nice for an extra nuke on bosses.

Caeden

Are you still doing Spellslinger VD/DD?

If so, use Vaal DD. It's very nice for an extra nuke on bosses.

Added it last night. It does help. I think my goal is to craft a sweet 15% res reduction helm and add in herald of ash again if I can. May need a res reduction shield though.

Fairly puny on conquerors. A7 drox took me a minute or two which seems pitiful.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Shroud of Eternity Ngahamu's Cyclone Trickster: Very underwhelming
Shroud of Eternity Oro's Sacrifice Flicker Trickster: Worse except for clear

Think the Shroud builds need multiple double dipping and I'll be fucked if I'm going to shape a fucking Pyre and Brotherstone. I watched Mathil do it in like 3000 scour chances. No thanks. Divine Ire Totems with it are supposed to fuck, but I'm not super into totems.

Tried fucking around with Arcanist Brand. Don't. I wanted to do something fun like Magma Orb or EK with my Awakened GMP. The problem is Arcanist brand starts at the center of the branded mob and goes outwards. That means projectiles basically don't hit it. Super problematic for most spells. Great for stuff like Ice Nova or Firestorm or Icestorm. Didn't want to fuck with it anymore so I respecced.

Currently a Storm Call Heiro with Kitava's Thirst with Arc in it. Only 45ish but definitely some real ass potential with some max mana archmage shenanigans. Storm Call is one of the hardest hitting spells in game and Arc just passively clears bullshit. Pretty neat.

Caeden

Shroud of Eternity Ngahamu's Cyclone Trickster: Very underwhelming
Shroud of Eternity Oro's Sacrifice Flicker Trickster: Worse except for clear

Think the Shroud builds need multiple double dipping and I'll be fucked if I'm going to shape a fucking Pyre and Brotherstone. I watched Mathil do it in like 3000 scour chances. No thanks. Divine Ire Totems with it are supposed to fuck, but I'm not super into totems.

Tried fucking around with Arcanist Brand. Don't. I wanted to do something fun like Magma Orb or EK with my Awakened GMP. The problem is Arcanist brand starts at the center of the branded mob and goes outwards. That means projectiles basically don't hit it. Super problematic for most spells. Great for stuff like Ice Nova or Firestorm or Icestorm. Didn't want to fuck with it anymore so I respecced.

Currently a Storm Call Heiro with Kitava's Thirst with Arc in it. Only 45ish but definitely some real ass potential with some max mana archmage shenanigans. Storm Call is one of the hardest hitting spells in game and Arc just passively clears bullshit. Pretty neat.

I wanted to try Eternity Shroud and penance brand.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah, divine ire/wave of convinction/pennance brand are the way to go. Double dip on the multiple conversions for up to double damage with full chaos pen. Like I said though, if you're wanting to do that you're looking at shaper Pyre and Call of the brotherhoods. You could just use normal ones and forgo the Chaos pen, which is probably still pretty worth it. Just remember conversions go phys-->Lightning--->Cold---->Fire--->Chaos in that order for conversion stuff.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
unless/before you get 2 call of the brotherhoods you could also consider a phys to cold conversion skill and just slap on a cold to fire support and you're halfway there and would only need one shaper pyre ring. Haven't looked much into it just thought i'd mention cold to fire anyway.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I’ve never really understood why dmg conversion is so great.

let’s say you have a hit that does 2k lightning. Let’s say you have 10% non chaos as chaos.
So that’s 2200 total dmg

now let’s say you have 50% lightning converted to cold and 50% to fire. And you have 10% non chaos as chaos again.
So that’s
1k cold hit + 100 chaos = 1100
1k fire hit + 100 chaos = 1100
That’s 2200 dmg total again. How does the conversion add more damage? I’m missing something

Xevy

Log Wizard
So it double dips if you're converting from x to y. So for instance, let's say you got "10% of non-chaos damage as chaos damage". Then let's say you have a skill that is 100% phys that you convert to 80% lightning then convert 40% of lightning to cold then 40% of cold to fire.

You hit for 1000 damage physical. You get:

1000(phys) x .1(chaos) = 100 chaos damage
800(lightning) x .1(chaos) = 80 chaos damage
(0.4[cold] x 800[lightning]) x .1(chaos) = 32 chaos damage
320(cold) x 0.4(fire) x 0.1(chaos) = 14 chaos damage

Total: 1306 total damage

So you're gaining 306 chaos damage from a 1000 damage hit, or roughly 30% extra damage, from converting it multiple times over. It does the added calculation at each conversion point.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I’ve never really understood why dmg conversion is so great.

let’s say you have a hit that does 2k lightning. Let’s say you have 10% non chaos as chaos.
So that’s 2200 total dmg

now let’s say you have 50% lightning converted to cold and 50% to fire. And you have 10% non chaos as chaos again.
So that’s
1k cold hit + 100 chaos = 1100
1k fire hit + 100 chaos = 1100
That’s 2200 dmg total again. How does the conversion add more damage? I’m missing something

It's 2000 lightning damage converted 50% to cold and 50% fire, so it first gives you 10% of the 2k lightning damage. Then you get 10% of the 1k cold damage, and 1k fire damage. So ends up being 200 + 100 + 100.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
On that topic, has one pob'd a TES+Witchhunter's judgement build? Brandsurge gets 100% conversion to w/e the dmg type of the brand it's detonating is. With the base dmg it should have some great single target potential. Too bad a weapon swap is 6-9 fewer slots to level skills in.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
oh interesting, so something like, an eternity shroud build could have ridiculous xtra dmg if you have multiple conversion steps because youre getting that 50% more damage at each step. thats nuts, and not intuitive to me atleast (when something is converted, i dont think of its damage existing anymore so why would 'non chaos as chaos' even apply)

Jox

Molten Core Raider
PSA for us casuals, the harvest boss spawns without warning the next time you enter your grove after finishing the collect 100. Blood pressure was definitely up being 80% into a level and fighting a never before seen boss. It was relatively easy but seemed very unrewarding.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Whenever damage is converted, it is converted in this order: Physical → Lightning → Cold → Fire → Chaos . Its unintuitive, but that is how it is. Like you said, the non chaos to chaos applies at each step of conversion