Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Memory game feels antithetical to the design of PoE. Boss design has been slowly creeping as they run of ways to make you run in circles.

I'm going to have to start adding "visual clarity" as a build choice from now on. I'm playing a LL Poet's Pen Blade Blast character right now and it's quite literally can't see shit captain. DPS and sustain are quite good, but light on EHP. Thus, dodging shit I can't see is paramount.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't heard anyone complain about this in a while, I think it was Nugiyen on Baeclast a few years ago. He disliked how so many facets of a build revolved around completely eliminating a threat. Die to bleeds? Staunching. Die to being frozen? Heat. Die to monster? Kill them first. That last one is somewhat exaggerated but you get the point.

I was thinking about my above post and how I could improve the flimsy EHP(seriously, 30k in PoB...). The thought of having to trade with people( Caeden Caeden ) made my stomach turn that I just dropped the idea.

Die to visual clutter? Use different skill. Die to boredom in HO waiting for responses? Play build heavy with uniques. Die to anything? Stack aura effectiveness until at least 90% DR across the board(this is still alive, btw).

It's amazing how much the player base compensates for rough game design.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't heard anyone complain about this in a while, I think it was Nugiyen on Baeclast a few years ago. He disliked how so many facets of a build revolved around completely eliminating a threat. Die to bleeds? Staunching. Die to being frozen? Heat. Die to monster? Kill them first. That last one is somewhat exaggerated but you get the point.

I was thinking about my above post and how I could improve the flimsy EHP(seriously, 30k in PoB...). The thought of having to trade with people( Caeden Caeden ) made my stomach turn that I just dropped the idea.

Die to visual clutter? Use different skill. Die to boredom in HO waiting for responses? Play build heavy with uniques. Die to anything? Stack aura effectiveness until at least 90% DR across the board(this is still alive, btw).

It's amazing how much the player base compensates for rough game design.
Somewhat related discussion on Reddit that I thought was reasonable.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Somewhat related discussion on Reddit that I thought was reasonable.

I've said it for a while now, but I flat refuse to touch PoE until they add some form of an auction house. Or otherwise completely redesign item acquisition, which we know is very unlikely. Trading is absolutely integral to about 90% of builds out there and just the game as a whole. The fact that it's such a timesink at best and a massive, frustrating pain in the ass at worst is really what stops me from enjoying what is otherwise probably the best ARPG out there.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I think I saw that thread this morning. It was decent even just considering how much shitlordery that subreddit has devolved into recently. Not to say Chris doesn't doesn't deserve most of that. I seriously don't understand how that got posted with those comments regarding exalt slamming left in.

Sometimes I wonder if it's my obsessive compulsive(no insult to those with actual OCD, just don't know else to describe this) nature that leads me to spending lots of time in PoB planning a better build. I mean, it probably is that.

But sometimes I think this game's mishmash of systems and "difficulty" design is straining to a point where so many builds are failing to reach an arbitrary goal like 36 challenges before needing to heavily interact with some of the distasteful points from my previous post.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
They could clean up by selling offline auction stash tabs, they'd sell so many of them. I've seen streamers with 20+ quad tabs of shit like 5c,10c, 20c, 50, 1ex etc. There's literally no downside at all to anyone, but hey we'd all miss the social aspect of trading according to Chris.

I honestly feel like the game would probably be better without him at the helm now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Player interaction is probably just an excuse for "this tangled ball of yarn is too expensive to fix".

Think of how many systems become non-functional with an offline AH(i.e. cheap items). Harvest was starting to do that in a minor and niche way. TFT was just the start. If Harvest stayed as is, a trustworthy 3rd party system would have eventually formed because Harvest crafting was that good. Just like the myriad of tradeable items eventually shat out poe.ninja.

They can't fix trading on their release schedule. Given their lack of talk of even acknowledging the problem, I pessimistically think they're somewhere between realizing it's a problem or denying it.

WoW killed itself. PoE likely will too.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Player interaction is probably just an excuse for "this tangled ball of yarn is too expensive to fix".

Think of how many systems become non-functional with an offline AH(i.e. cheap items). Harvest was starting to do that in a minor and niche way. TFT was just the start. If Harvest stayed as is, a trustworthy 3rd party system would have eventually formed because Harvest crafting was that good. Just like the myriad of tradeable items eventually shat out poe.ninja.

They can't fix trading on their release schedule. Given their lack of talk of even acknowledging the problem, I pessimistically think they're somewhere between realizing it's a problem or denying it.

Yeah WoW killed itself, but it killed itself going after the money. Blizzard knew that if they kept everything hardcore then they'd lose the majority of their subscribers after a while and so they kept dumbing things down. I hated the decision, but at least you can understand it for what it was.

I have no idea why PoE is killing itself for the streamer class. I can only imagine that it is because the whales are reliable enough, even through all of these bullshit manifestos, but damn if it doesn't feel like if they could just make things a bit smoother then they would fucking clean up from the not-whales.

• 1Solidarity

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
jesus everyone should check out lighty's maven kill in the gauntlet. this guy is the best poe player bar none

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

It is possible they're keeping larger trading system changes for PoE2 launch, basically wipe the slate clean and start over, rather than just fuck around with big systems when there's a fair bit of ppl playing standard and overall as you said it's too much work with their release schedule. I'm like only maybe 10-15% convinced by that argument mind you, I think they'll probably sweep it under the rug and keep making the same game until it dies out, then they'll knee jerk some shit and it'll still keep dying, that's generally how it goes. The fact they're improving their player count over time(with some leagues failling to improve, but some doing better than all previous leagues) means they currently have little incentive to do large changes though. Only once they start bleeding players like wow did they might react but I can't really fault them for not doing anything when they're making more money every league(presumably).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If I start a league in SSF, decide to port to trade, haven't play any characters in trade, what happens to any atlas progression I made in SSF?

Considering trying SSF next league. Or maybe as far as SSF as I can stomach.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
If I start a league in SSF, decide to port to trade, haven't play any characters in trade, what happens to any atlas progression I made in SSF?

Considering trying SSF next league. Or maybe as far as SSF as I can stomach.
You'll keep your atlas progression in SSF if you port. A new char can come in and pick it up. Anything you leave in the stash will also remain so dump all your shit like goldrims and tabulas in the stash before you port in case you start a new char.

Edit, sorry I'm a dumb fuck and misread the question.

I'm not sure what happens if you port under those circumstances tbh, never tried it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I think they really want to keep the human interaction there at any cost.

The QOL obsessed ppl will never get over it.

Shit's OG.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If they truly cared about human interaction, party play would be a fully supported feature and not meme fodder, GPU sadism, or quant farming abuse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You're confusing retarded with unwavering in the face of constant QOL demands.

POE2 might be different. The suits own them now. There's "hope".

I get the asking 20 ppl for a yellow map shit and all. But have done some haggling and human element etc stuff that would be gone otherwise.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Predict people are really going to be disappointed with PoE2 just from what they said earlier. They're really getting mileage out of calling it "2" instead of just an expanion or rework or whatever.

• 1Solidarity