Path of Exile

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Eastern version's the same as the western version isn't it? Apart from a few items and mechanics with trading? They have the same leagues as we do.

Guessing that if 2-3 leagues repeatedly see a large drop in players and sales then his head would be on the chopping block. Fuck knows who they'd replace him with, probably someone from within the NZ studio. Tencent would have left themselves a million ways to oust anybody they wanted from the OG GGG team, shareholders or not, that's just the smart business play.

Whilst it's a good move to get rid of Chris, it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Imagine lobbying to replace the head of the game studio with someone from Tencent, a company known for bad p2w practices. Even if you think Chris is killing the game, you managed to just find a way to do it 100x faster.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

oh ambush sounds neat... 5s cd.... why would you do this?

Defiance banner sounds cool. armor/eva aura, and decoy totem on plant? nice.
blade trap, and explosive conc sound really good.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Is there actual demographic data available to the public with regard to things such as "How many unique players kill Shaper this league?" or "How many unique players get their 5th map device slot activated?" and "how many kill Maven or that Brain boss whatever the hell its name is?".

I know a lot of people say they do not want PoE to turn into D3. However, I have always been a proponent of making the game easier to basically 100% by more of the player base. I may just be wrong with thinking those types of things are done by an overall low % of the player base each league. D2 while slower than PoE still made the entire game 'doable' for everyone. They just did it more times farming the gear rather than using the crafting system like PoE does. I know I'm casual compared to prolly everyone here but it just feels kind of bad that I never seem to be able to actually 'complete' the game each league. I mean I've only killed Shaper one single solitary time out of all the leagues I have ever played.

Making things slower kind of makes it feel like they are probably making this feeling even worse. (or maybe I just suck terribly... entirely possible) Oh well.. back to my ballista totem build or maybe an ice trapper I've yet to try. (now lets see how many play traps/totems)

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Is there actual demographic data available to the public with regard to things such as "How many unique players kill Shaper this league?" or "How many unique players get their 5th map device slot activated?" and "how many kill Maven or that Brain boss whatever the hell its name is?".

I know a lot of people say they do not want PoE to turn into D3. However, I have always been a proponent of making the game easier to basically 100% by more of the player base. I may just be wrong with thinking those types of things are done by an overall low % of the player base each league. D2 while slower than PoE still made the entire game 'doable' for everyone. They just did it more times farming the gear rather than using the crafting system like PoE does. I know I'm casual compared to prolly everyone here but it just feels kind of bad that I never seem to be able to actually 'complete' the game each league. I mean I've only killed Shaper one single solitary time out of all the leagues I have ever played.

Making things slower kind of makes it feel like they are probably making this feeling even worse. (or maybe I just suck terribly... entirely possible) Oh well.. back to my ballista totem build or maybe an ice trapper I've yet to try. (now lets see how many play traps/totems)

Ice trapper could be decent, nice choice! Always good to freeze the mobs.

They have those statistics sure, they've been posted on reddit and on the GGG forums and discussed a number of times. Although it was ages ago when I read them, a shaper kill easily puts you in the top 5% of players and I think UE had under 1% of players killing it at the time I read about it. The problem isn't even the bosses themselves, it's the fact they are cockblocked behind currency and time for most casual players so your chances to practice are rare. If we could keep zoning in and trying then 99% of people would kill Maven cause given practice you can do anything. Best thing to do if you want to practice bosses is post here in this thread and just ask for shaper and elder frags on standard and just practice the mob there.

These boards don't reflect the reality of the playerbase as most people have been playing years. But people will help you out if you ask.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Imagine lobbying to replace the head of the game studio with someone from Tencent, a company known for bad p2w practices. Even if you think Chris is killing the game, you managed to just find a way to do it 100x faster.
Considering the recent lawsuit, J. Allen Brack might be looking for a new job soon!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
It is not the fail/success rate of the boss fights. It is the fact that by the end of the league I am barely even getting to T-16 maps.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is not the fail/success rate of the boss fights. It is the fact that by the end of the league I am barely even getting to T-16 maps.

The Atlas grind has become a bit much. I havn't been a fan of it ever since they removed Shaped maps.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Atlas grind is indeed a problem. And that's not just a casual player sentiment. Where certain players decided "this is too much" might differ, but even streamers have been commonly griping about it since Maven passives were added.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I didn't mind the initial implementation of the conqueror system. The problem currently though is conqueror progression is almost entirely at odds with maven progression for passives.

Run a lot of different maps for completion and watchstone unlocks, but also run 80 fucking maps in the same region to get your maven passives!

Bleh

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kythik

Molten Core Raider

AFAIK they haven't released hard numbers for old content such as Shaper kills in quite some time. The last information--I don't recall the league--was a GGG dev saying that too many people were killing bosses and they didn't like that.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
IMO, the maven points made the already long Atlas progression a little more rewarding through the slog. I only had to go back and do a few sets in certain regions to finish them. Since I wasn't going to farm in more than a few regions it felt fine. I wasn't a fan of it the first round in 3.13 but my impression changed the second time. Granted, I don't go for 36 challenges.

Xevy

Log Wizard
A lot of the issues with the community is some of these systems aren't meant to be mandatory. They're supposed to be rewarding if you just keep playing, but the playerbase has warped it to "grind this ASAP". The Maven shit for example is just an example of bonuses you got for running the same regions multiple times if you hadn't stocked up on all of one region red maps. But people don't see it like that, they see it as "I need to get these 4 Maven passives to REALLY get ____ and ____". It's just a gap between the design intention and player mindset.

A lot of this FOMO stuff people have is the reason I find Reddit so insufferable. Almost everyone on there is comparing themselves to some one else. Whether it's a youtuber, streamer, some other Reddit poster that have some build or strat that isn't something they can easily attain. This is one of the few MMO's that isn't time gated hardcore so people who play 60 hours a week are absolutely going to have a massive power boost and wealth boost to people who play 15 hours a week. Like people comparing themselves to Ziz or Mathil or other people who PoE is their job and they crank out more playtime in a month than most people do in two weeks is just insane. The other half of the argument is then there's people like Lightee who can beat the game, on harder than usual settings, starting from scratch, in 2 days. Obviously there's min max and meta exploitation, but for everyone else saying "I can't kill Maven!" or "Sirus impossible for me!" it's just obviously not true.

This game community would be a lot more tolerable if the most vocal people weren't just comparing themselves to the top end players and poopsockers and then saying "Why no me do that?!?!?"

Want to get rid of FOMO? Play the game yourself, stop watching streamers and youtubers and reddit "LOOK AT MY 80M DPS BUILD" posts. Play the game for you and if you don't like it, honestly, you probably should move on or come back when you think you would.

• 3Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Sirus is legit impossible for some players cause of colour blindness and their absolutely dogshit colour pallette.

• 3Like

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
A lot of the issues with the community is some of these systems aren't meant to be mandatory. They're supposed to be rewarding if you just keep playing, but the playerbase has warped it to "grind this ASAP". The Maven shit for example is just an example of bonuses you got for running the same regions multiple times if you hadn't stocked up on all of one region red maps. But people don't see it like that, they see it as "I need to get these 4 Maven passives to REALLY get ____ and ____". It's just a gap between the design intention and player mindset.

A lot of this FOMO stuff people have is the reason I find Reddit so insufferable. Almost everyone on there is comparing themselves to some one else. Whether it's a youtuber, streamer, some other Reddit poster that have some build or strat that isn't something they can easily attain. This is one of the few MMO's that isn't time gated hardcore so people who play 60 hours a week are absolutely going to have a massive power boost and wealth boost to people who play 15 hours a week. Like people comparing themselves to Ziz or Mathil or other people who PoE is their job and they crank out more playtime in a month than most people do in two weeks is just insane. The other half of the argument is then there's people like Lightee who can beat the game, on harder than usual settings, starting from scratch, in 2 days. Obviously there's min max and meta exploitation, but for everyone else saying "I can't kill Maven!" or "Sirus impossible for me!" it's just obviously not true.

This game community would be a lot more tolerable if the most vocal people weren't just comparing themselves to the top end players and poopsockers and then saying "Why no me do that?!?!?"

Want to get rid of FOMO? Play the game yourself, stop watching streamers and youtubers and reddit "LOOK AT MY 80M DPS BUILD" posts. Play the game for you and if you don't like it, honestly, you probably should move on or come back when you think you would.
FOMO builds and farming strats are generally efficient. Efficiency is even more important if one has limited time. This is an economy-based game, where one get can price locked from upgrades let alone entire builds. While I am not in that demographic I can completely understand their point.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
FOMO builds and farming strats are generally efficient. Efficiency is even more important if one has limited time. This is an economy-based game, where one get can price locked from upgrades let alone entire builds. While I am not in that demographic I can completely understand their point.
Yeah, I 100% understand that. But there's some builds that ALWAYS clear. ALWAYS boss. And they're gearing is incredibly easy and require no god cluster jewels or chase uniques. Chieftain Cyclone, Summoner ANYTHING, Bleed Block Glad anything, etc. A lot of it isn't "I can't kill Maven, how can I?" It's more "I can't kill Maven with (this meta build half baked half geared). Help!" They kind of invent their own problems by trying to mimic other people. It's like the herald stackers. EVERYONE wanted to do it because it was a mega dps unkillable God and reddit lost their shit because at first they couldn't get the items because cluster jewels were $$$, then they lost their shit because they nerfed the clusters they couldn't get. However all the time they put half making a shit god build could've been invested in an earthshatter slammer with all rares clearing the entire game.

I'm not saying everyone should play the same 5 builds, but if it's content issues those builds are ALWAYS there. Look at SSFHC. People are lvl 98 and clearing red maps in 5 links full rare gear and still will be. I checked DSLily at lvl 98 with a five link chest, all rares, with a 500pdps axe. A lot of, definitely not all, is people wanting to have what other people can without the means personally to achieve that. Whether the means is skill, TIME, or game knowledge, they just don't have it. I get shit for complaining about complaining, but this is a game. It's one of the best games out there, imho. You play it if it's fun and if it isn't you don't. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse. But trying to copycay the poopsockers who play 5-10x more in a given week than you is not going to make you like the game.

I can tell you right now if you need a build go Chieftain Cyclone. Even with the nerfs it doesn't matter, you'll clear the entire game and do great damage with all rares. If you watch streamers/youtube/redditors and you go "OH THIS IS THE BEST NOW" you're going to be stuck trying to buy 4 medium cluster jewels at 3ex each like all the Burning Arrow Elementalist people last league and then complaining about how it's too expensive to play so the game is unplayable for casual players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Drunkfinder explosive concoction here!

Finished solasta, was dicking around in last epoch, leveling a new character last couple days. without diving into a new big bannerlord, kenshi, etc type playthough. so looks like a nicely timed POE league. ill be back for this one. (did start a new rimworld game last night though..)

man, those patch notes. haha. flask nerfs. pathfinder elem damage nerf. wtf on that one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not only efficiency but speed too which are kinda hand in hand. Those that get to and can farm the good items fastest profit the most. Especially at league starts before the economy has a chance to settle.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I 100% understand that. But there's some builds that ALWAYS clear. ALWAYS boss. And they're gearing is incredibly easy and require no god cluster jewels or chase uniques. Chieftain Cyclone, Summoner ANYTHING, Bleed Block Glad anything, etc. A lot of it isn't "I can't kill Maven, how can I?" It's more "I can't kill Maven with (this meta build half baked half geared). Help!" They kind of invent their own problems by trying to mimic other people. It's like the herald stackers. EVERYONE wanted to do it because it was a mega dps unkillable God and reddit lost their shit because at first they couldn't get the items because cluster jewels were $$$, then they lost their shit because they nerfed the clusters they couldn't get. However all the time they put half making a shit god build could've been invested in an earthshatter slammer with all rares clearing the entire game.

I'm not saying everyone should play the same 5 builds, but if it's content issues those builds are ALWAYS there. Look at SSFHC. People are lvl 98 and clearing red maps in 5 links full rare gear and still will be. I checked DSLily at lvl 98 with a five link chest, all rares, with a 500pdps axe. A lot of, definitely not all, is people wanting to have what other people can without the means personally to achieve that. Whether the means is skill, TIME, or game knowledge, they just don't have it. I get shit for complaining about complaining, but this is a game. It's one of the best games out there, imho. You play it if it's fun and if it isn't you don't. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse. But trying to copycay the poopsockers who play 5-10x more in a given week than you is not going to make you like the game.

I can tell you right now if you need a build go Chieftain Cyclone. Even with the nerfs it doesn't matter, you'll clear the entire game and do great damage with all rares. If you watch streamers/youtube/redditors and you go "OH THIS IS THE BEST NOW" you're going to be stuck trying to buy 4 medium cluster jewels at 3ex each like all the Burning Arrow Elementalist people last league and then complaining about how it's too expensive to play so the game is unplayable for casual players.
And the players with less time investment will mostly be exposed to the main builds streamers/content creators are playing. Each time the build they play gets nerfed they will turn to the same sources. GGG's development choices to not slightly nerf and bring others up, but to usually decimate builds is part of the FOMO problem.

It sounds like you've identified a gap in available content. Make some off-meta build guides for league start. My experience, I look at a lot of YT/twitch for build ideas, is that most are bad. Those that aren't often blow up fast. Which, leads to the same problem...

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
I found the Asmongold interview to be mostly fluff. They even fell for the Chris meme of being honest when he doesn't know the answer. But, Chris did mention that some part of the loot rework is due this year. Are we getting smart loot and/or loot dropping in stacks next league?