Path of Exile

dizzie

Triggered Happy
a simple death message is all that’s needed. Surely they can suavely program that without showing the entire wizard behind the curtain. We just want the head projection.

Shit like this is why I think Chris is a tosser. It's so simple to code this in as a message after death, not something parsable. That's all people want but no, fuck you players.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Shit like this is why I think Chris is a tosser. It's so simple to code this in as a message after death, not something parsable. That's all people want but no, fuck you players.
Yep. And I start to think the people that defend some of his shit lack the capability of advanced reasoning. Chris is a very smart guy. I personally like him a lot, but he’s a stubborn asshat about things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ask anyone that put big time into d2. You took years to get perfect items.

Did you even to stop to think why it took 'years' in D2? Maybe the fact that your trading was limited to spamming a channel with a max of 40 people in it? Or the rare unique being the main trading currency even once you finally found someone selling the item you wanted? Once D2JSP was out with a better trading system and easier to use currency, people were making perfect items/rolled characters inside the first month every single ladder season The big obstacle was never the rarity of the items, they were in fact rather common, it was the trading system used to acquire them.

Last edited:

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Shrug do it league of legend style.

after a death you can look at a quick pie chart recap of what killed you that include the type of damage and who did it.

it doesnt have to be complicated.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like alteration spamming up to a point. It gets stupid if you're lookin for 1 specific super rare mod, like explodey when it first came out took me like 3000+ alts to get. But if you're rolling a phys weapon for example you'll see one of the mods you're looking for not too seldomly, even if the regal is ultimately useless.

Fusings suck though because they are like alterations at their worst and it feels like crap if you spend 1k+ fusings and have nothing to show for it.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shrug do it league of legend style.

after a death you can look at a quick pie chart recap of what killed you that include the type of damage and who did it.

it doesnt have to be complicated.

Not complicated for you but for them its a lot to take on for the server. Keeping a 15-30 second log for a million players, in which players can be hit hundreds of times, then parsing it out to damage types, etc. League of Legends can do it because there isn't a lot going on server wise but PoE servers already have trouble handling traffic as is.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I heard about this video and decided to watch it. It really makes me think that POE is a poorly designed game for attracting new players since every one of his points could be talking about POE directly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Not complicated for you but for them its a lot to take on for the server. Keeping a 15-30 second log for a million players, in which players can be hit hundreds of times, then parsing it out to damage types, etc. League of Legends can do it because there isn't a lot going on server wise but PoE servers already have trouble handling traffic as is.

You only have to parse the killshot, not 15-30 fucking seconds. So hard to code, it's in basically every online game ever made. The information's already fucking there, they just need to visualise it for us.

Leon

<Silver Donator>

Small indie company he?

Stop making excuses for them, you don't even need a 15-30 seconds log, 2 seconds would be enough to understand wtf just happened in most situations where people get one shot.

It's literally just the info that is already there, that's literally jack shit resources wise on a server, just a visual queue.

edit: Dizzie gets it.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Oh look, more community problem solving on Reddit that will get no GGG comment even though this is almost exactly what the trade sites are but in game and not a fucking struggle. Gotta feel that 'weight' to trading (i.e. - it cannot be enjoyable or efficient).

• 2Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You only have to parse the killshot, not 15-30 fucking seconds. So hard to code, it's in basically every online game ever made. The information's already fucking there, they just need to visualise it for us.

Anything where you only need to parse the killshot, you probably already know what killed you. There are not many 1 shots leaving you wondering what hit you. To have an effective death log, you'd need to have the combination of hits, effects on you, etc. If they introduced a log where only the kill shot was listed it wouldn't be enough for anyone. People would instantly complain every time the kill shot wasn't enough, or you know most deaths. Waste of time.

• 1Faggotry

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That's such hogwash. Telling the player wtf happened to them when they exploded is some really basic functionality. I got popped once last night and once the day before and while I was pretty sure what I was doing was a bad idea (looking at you, metamorph) I have no idea how much damage I took or of what kind. All I know is "metamorphs can fuck ass." Did I die by just a little? Was there 1000000 points of overkill? Telling me what the fuck happened (ability name, damage taken, types taken) lets me better understand implication of my choices that got me to where I ended up.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Anything where you only need to parse the killshot, you probably already know what killed you. There are not many 1 shots leaving you wondering what hit you. To have an effective death log, you'd need to have the combination of hits, effects on you, etc. If they introduced a log where only the kill shot was listed, it wouldn't be enough for anyone and you'd still complain. Waste of time.

When I die in PoE it isn't because my health is slowly fading over a period of time, it's due to the fact that it goes from 7k or whatever to 0 in less than a second in 90% of cases. Sometimes it's a crit, sometimes it's a bunch of shit all hitting me at once or in succession very fast. Sometimes it's difficult to know exactly what killed you too if you are playing full on juiced stuff. Just a pop-up saying "You were killed by Harbringer Worshipper's Ice Trap - Damage Type Cold (Critical)" would help.

It would be especially helpful for new players.

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In the Chinese client they literally show you the name of the mob that killed you with all its affixes. I mean I'd even take that...

• 1Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I die in PoE it isn't because my health is slowly fading over a period of time, it's due to the fact that it goes from 7k or whatever to 0 in less than a second in 90% of cases. Sometimes it's a crit, sometimes it's a bunch of shit all hitting me at once or in succession very fast. Sometimes it's difficult to know exactly what killed you too if you are playing full on juiced stuff. Just a pop-up saying "You were killed by Harbringer Worshipper's Ice Trap - Damage Type Cold (Critical)" would help.

It would be especially helpful for new players.

You illustrated the problem yourself. Usually when you are wondering what hit you, its not because you got crit, its because a bunch of shit all hitting you at once and very quickly. Imagine the experience from a players point of view when they get hit for 6k damage from something but its the skeleton that hit you for 750 that killed you. Thats something that a 'this hit kill you' death log will tell you nothing about and you'll still have a bad experience with a vast majority of the time. To have a true death log for it, you need the servers to have a running log of everything that hits you which is an incredible strain on the server given the large playerbase at league launches. It doesn't matter if the log is 15 seconds long or 2 seconds, its still logging everything that happens to your character at all times because you can die at any time. The only difference there is what it displays to you once you've died. The 'this hit killed you' log is just a bandaid on the problem, its not a solution, and you'll still wind up here complaining its not more in depth after it tells you little about most of your deaths.

Leon made a joke about 'small indie company' and while they might not be that small indie company anymore, the game still runs off the engine that was designed by 3 guys in a garage office who had never made a video game before. A real solution to this problem will have to wait for the new engine in PoE2.

Last edited:

dizzie

Triggered Happy
You illustrated the problem yourself. Usually when you are wondering what hit you, its not because you got crit, its because a bunch of shit all hitting you at once and very quickly. Thats something that a 'this hit kill you' death log will tell you nothing about and you'll still have a bad experience with a vast majority of the time. To have a true death log for it, you need the servers to have a running log of everything that hits you which is an incredible strain on the server given the large playerbase at league launches. It doesn't matter if the log is 15 seconds long or 2 seconds, its still logging everything that happens to your character at all times because you can die at any time. The only difference there is what it displays to you once you've died. The 'this hit killed you' log is just a bandaid on the problem, its not a solution, and you'll still wind up here complaining its not more in depth after it tells you little about most of your deaths.

Leon made a joke about 'small indie company' and while they might not be that small indie company anymore, the game still runs off the engine that was designed by 3 guys in a garage office who had never made a video game before. A real solution to this problem will have to wait for the new engine in PoE2.

That death information will give me a mob type, this allows me to know where it was on the screen, what damage type it was that killed me and whether on not that hit was a critical strike. Not completely useless information overall.

They don't need to log everyone all the time to show you this information, it can be a quick query right after death with a pop-up box that shows you the damage that took you to 0.

This is a company that paid 70 million dollars out to their shareholders in dividends last year and this is a job an intern could do on their lunchbreak.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That death information will give me a mob type, this allows me to know where it was on the screen, what damage type it was that killed me and whether on not that hit was a critical strike. Not completely useless information overall.

Its completely useless information when the hit that killed you was for 750 of your 7k life pool and part of a lot of hits in quick succession. Even worse is thats a worse player experience than not knowing at all. 'Hey, were going to show you the kill shot but not what you actually want to know, what killed you.' The PoE playerbase can't even handle skills getting nerfed, to think this would go over well just shows a complete lack of foresight.

Last edited:
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Picard

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I heard about this video and decided to watch it. It really makes me think that POE is a poorly designed game for attracting new players since every one of his points could be talking about POE directly.

I posted this a few pages back, it's a great video that most certainly applies to poe.

• 1Like

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Oh look, more community problem solving on Reddit that will get no GGG comment even though this is almost exactly what the trade sites are but in game and not a fucking struggle. Gotta feel that 'weight' to trading (i.e. - it cannot be enjoyable or efficient).

Are we expecting them to go into each topic with a suggestion they already rejected and repeat that they're not going to do it?