Path of Exile

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ruthless closed Beta is off NDA now, so streamers are streaming it. If you want to know what PoE was like about 9 years ago, here's your chance. I'd recommend watching moreso than playing probably. And don't watch a HC player because they're going to omega pussy so hard you'll never see them do anything interesting except clear Act zones in 15 minutes a piece.
got some links?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I didn't know they were gonna have regular SC trade leagues for ruthless

Now I kinda wanna play it

Xevy

Log Wizard
So this is "alpha" still, even though NDA is lifted, but you have to apply to get in. Streamers got mostly greenlit for obvious reason, but they're keeping it small. I think party play in softcore ruthless trade could actually be interesting. Trading found suppors and building members of your team to fill niches like old PoE. We used to have a single target guy, clear guy, and I was the utility guy with permafreeze freeze mines with ele prolif because map bosses were like 2-3 minute fights sometimes. Could be kinda fun to play it like a rogue-like in HC or play softcore and just play it as a really, really slow dungeon ARPG.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Now this looks interesting, maybe they pushed it too far with all the gimping, but I might give this a try. Started with POE in closed beta, my last xpak was Delve. Too fast (and no damage/recap log ), too much Michael Bay, too much color puke for me, but this slower pace could work.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Watching Kripp start Ruthless with melee because of an early two hander, get decimated, then switch to ranged spells and immediately clear like easy mode makes a good case that GGG is fucking retarded.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tale as old as time itself, melee can be the most satisfying but there's no mechanics to make it viable.

The entire game has been designed around one shot kills to be able to kill players and they know they would have to fundamentally change combat to have melee balance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been playing the Alpha a bit and its a lot of fun. It's a return of actual gear progression rather than just collecting a basic set in white maps then everything becomes currency farming for crafting. It really puts the problems with the base game into perspective. The problem isn't that end game gear became harder to get, it's that there's no transition step between the basic life/resist gear set that the game showers you with early on and the crafted gear.

The scarcity of loot isn't actually that bad in Ruthless. What really hits you is how much losing the crafting bench impacts a character.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Tale as old as time itself, melee can be the most satisfying but there's no mechanics to make it viable.

The entire game has been designed around one shot kills to be able to kill players and they know they would have to fundamentally change combat to have melee balance.

It just seems like a no-brainer to give melee skills innate stun and damage resistance. How hard could it possibly be?

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It just seems like a no-brainer to give melee skills innate stun and damage resistance. How hard could it possibly be?

Like fortify and hp based builds? The insane damage is just too much and they can't seem to give anything without giving it to "ranged" builds at the same time.

They have practically resorted to making all "melee" skills ranged, like helix and spectral throw/shield, give enough reduction to damage and melee becomes unkillable with leach and lgoh.

Fact is melee is viable it just doesn't come anywhere close to ranged when they can be glass cannons and still have innate survivability due to being ranged.

It's a fundamental problem where the line is so small between making melee god tier and garbage.

I think that's why they are wanting a slower game in poe2 where reactive defense is useful rather than non existent in poe1. At the current state you are either immortal or dead when it comes to defense because outside of boss fights you can't manually dodge Jack shit.

I can see the end game now where it's basically damage windows and then bullet hell simulator until the next damage window.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Watching Kripp start Ruthless with melee because of an early two hander, get decimated, then switch to ranged spells and immediately clear like easy mode makes a good case that GGG is fucking retarded.

When I popped in to his stream one of the "so and so is the first to whatever" was for maps. That's eight hours for someone who really knows what they're doing. It looks like the meta is to use a combination of skills that have some kind of lasting effect/duration or traps? Minion pile, cold dots, get a totem in there, a golem, etc. Looking at the end of Kripp's stream he's bailed on minions and has fully transitioned over to RF/Explosive Trap with Infernal Cry, Stone Golem, Holy Flame Totem, Flammability and Wave of Conviction. No support gems no problems.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard

Curse Manifesto

Literal balance. Shit buffed, shit nerfed. At least curses will be more effective on big bosses, which is what some builds needed. Having your -50 resist curse do -15 on an uber was just dumb when it's already taking 70% less damage. Occultist looks to be slightly nerfed (malediction removed) but profane bloom is still there so who gives a fuck. Also new unique ring they have looks pretty amazing for a Hexblaster. They also reworked Doom, but who the fuck ever understood how Doom worked anyways?

• 2Like

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
If i understood it right a Hexblast QoL buff even with a slight high end dmg nerf could be pretty cool.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I picked the wrong league to poison minions I guess. A fucking mountain of my damage is tied to curses and it mostly evaporates on ubers.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Removing curse scaling on bosses changes the entire landscape of bossing viability. What a wild fuckin change. Sirus might even be manageable with a big temp chains + chill.

Any random elemental build can gain like 50% more damage by annointing an extra curse for ele weakness+their chosen element, or weakness + assmark for trinity etc.

Very curious to see what the supposed scaling it going to look like for things like punishment or warlords mark.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Most bosses cannot have their action speed lowered below a certain percent of base. I think it's 70%, which you can hit on some cold or self chill builds with a little bit of investment, I doubt much will change there.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Most bosses cannot have their action speed lowered below a certain percent of base. I think it's 70%, which you can hit on some cold or self chill builds with a little bit of investment, I doubt much will change there.
Well not having to chill is pretty nice. It's not just temp chains either, Enfeeble getting the same treatment means you can reduce the damage they do a fair amount especially since they're buffing it on top of making it not suck on bosses to begin with. It's currently 15%less dmg but I guess they'll make it something like 20%less which should be pretty nice for a lot of things that would almost one shot you or barely one shot you and just in general. And then obviously you're gonna be doing a shit ton more damage to bosses.

Granted that part is a bit weird, are they gonna buff bosses hp in general or something to make up for that? Curses even with the stupid penalties added a fair bit of damage to bosses already but without the penalty the amounts are gonna be huge which would make curses basically mandatory for bosses damage wise, and also make bosses in general just a lot more squishy so I wonder if they're just gonna buff bosses overall to make up for this. It seems unlikely they wouldn't, as anyone running around with those triple curse new rings(which are likely to be pretty fucking expensive though) or just normal +1 curse somewhere with double offensive curses would melt bosses a ton faster than they do currently, at very little actual cost.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
1669654100007.png

Scion curse league is go!

I expect them to cut out the increased curse effect on them as well but also maybe not.

• 1Mother of God