Path of Exile

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guessing weapon swap for totem buffs and blood rage is out of the question yea? It wouldn't be that easy?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Totem buffs may stay on with the lingering mastery, which he has, but bloodrage should fall off. Bloodrage is like 4% dps for him in his build if he's getting frenzies elsewhere, which tbh, I'm not sure if he is or not.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It gets better when you look at Carn's PoB and turn off Ancestral Cry completely.
I don't follow. I haven't looked as his pob, but I can't imagine Ancestral Cry making much of a difference...in pob. It's a qol with some amount of unreliable armor.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They really could have left that keystone in place while also offering an alternative for people far away from it's location.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Got Sirius on my 4th (i think?) Try, last phase is pretty lame but overall seems to be pretty controllable. I did have a few times where I escaped the 3-layer maze, and as I was standing outside it, the meteor didnt drop right away and then when it did it killed me.

Plus the ground degen is sometimes hard to judge if I'm going to be landing on it when I dash. Probably mostly a noob problem, but it did feel good to beat it.

My DPS is still way low obviously, but I had fun learning it. 1 portal left I believe.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The grey/red color scheme combined with all the shit going on gets pretty rough. I didn't even know there was shocking ground until three leagues after my first kill.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
The grey/red color scheme combined with all the shit going on gets pretty rough. I didn't even know there was shocking ground until three leagues after my first kill.
Yeah if I had better DPS I think it would've been super easy, almost like that I got to learn it though. Hopefully I'll have a better understanding/build this coming weekend when the new league starts.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I went on my summoner this league and forwent the wisp forest and it's amazing how much simpler the game feels when the mobs aren't wisped up. Just cruising through shit at mach 1 on my starter with like 5D in gear who I never optimized. Hopefully it's more of a return to that this league.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I went on my summoner this league and forwent the wisp forest and it's amazing how much simpler the game feels when the mobs aren't wisped up. Just cruising through shit at mach 1 on my starter with like 5D in gear who I never optimized. Hopefully it's more of a return to that this league.

It basically has to. They set up this league mechanic such that you can't ever pretend it doesn't exist or otherwise not interact with it. If going through the campaign with haunted mobs is like putting a bunch of wisp juice on top of everything they'll be emergency nerfing in the first hour. The difficulty has to scale up later and even then if people get to white or yellow maps and the difficulty bricks their character that won't work either.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think this has a MUCH more favorable scaling factor. It seems like there is tiers to the haunted modifiers and you only get so many at sub map level. Wisps were bad because it was the same modifier at all levels across the board, just the number of mobs that got affected changed.

So I'm thinking this will be much smoother as they learned from not adjusting mechanics for early game. Also they have a corpse tier system so it'd make sense to have modifier tiers on the haunting as well.

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
It basically has to. They set up this league mechanic such that you can't ever pretend it doesn't exist or otherwise not interact with it. If going through the campaign with haunted mobs is like putting a bunch of wisp juice on top of everything they'll be emergency nerfing in the first hour. The difficulty has to scale up later and even then if people get to white or yellow maps and the difficulty bricks their character that won't work either.
I feel like they probably will end up giving an option to disable it, only because it seems like itll become annoying pretty quickly. I also don't really know how stubborn GGG is though, so they may just say deal with it.

I'm sure some people will craft some insane gear though!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think this has a MUCH more favorable scaling factor. It seems like there is tiers to the haunted modifiers and you only get so many at sub map level. Wisps were bad because it was the same modifier at all levels across the board, just the number of mobs that got affected changed.

So I'm thinking this will be much smoother as they learned from not adjusting mechanics for early game. Also they have a corpse tier system so it'd make sense to have modifier tiers on the haunting as well.

I assume when you see something that's a total dick punch that you know you can't handle you slot that ghost down to a pack of two mobs and just run from them if they show up.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The more I stare at archmage the crazier it looks.

Not having to keep the mana cost so high opens up a ton of options for just spamming spells. You can get what, 70? 80%? reduced cost from just the tree+inspiration? Plenty enough that the mana regen you'll get naturally from the mana nodes should cover it just fine.

That just means finding the best way to repeat apply the damage. Ball lightning is the easy/obvious answer, but that skill sucks and no one wants to play it. DD is still two hits right, one corpse explode + one added fire explosion? Could be huge with the chaining variant for 8 corpses per cast each applying archmage damage twice.

Otherwise maybe frost nova is back on the menu finally? 4 novas per cast on icebolts + spell echo repeat is a lot of fucking big novas applying archmage damage.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Meta's already on DD archmage. I've tried a lot of variants of it over the years, never been quite satisfied with a solution to the 1-2 combo. The corpse requirement almost always adds an unsatisfactory delay to clearing.

Ice nova and Frostbolt have always been strong, it's the clunk that has kept it out of meta. Since DD has the same clunk but scales even better off shit gear, nobody really talks about it. Heirophant, Archmage, Ivory Tower, Kitava's Thirst, scaling strength and int, it looks like ~20M DPS on what I call "starter" gear. "starter" mean nothing over 10s of chaos per slot unless you absolutely need it for the build to function.

There were a few things I couldn't solve that kept me from investing further:
  • The "nearby" targeting on Ice Nova is extremely liberal. I could have Frostbolts travelling in the opposite direction, approximately half a screen away, and the Ice Nova would attach to them. It was really frustrating for killing stragglers.
  • The 50% proc rate meant sometimes you were stuck casting(and repeating) an Ice Nova on yourself. This would happen occasionally in indoor maps as Frostbolt from the previous pack were likely to not travel around corner or into the next room. Automation support might actually help here as you could put something with a short cooldown and jack up its cost to 100 in order to spew out as many Frostbolts as possible. Vortex used to fill this role in these types of builds back when it was instant. But it was also kinda shit at it since it ate Frostbolts.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I like what duder here is on to with Pinpoint Ball Lightning. When you're clearing it's got extra projectiles and when something if fat you naturally lose the extra proj in favor of more damage. No swaps or clumsy 1-2.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Meta's already on DD archmage. I've tried a lot of variants of it over the years, never been quite satisfied with a solution to the 1-2 combo. The corpse requirement almost always adds an unsatisfactory delay to clearing.

Ice nova and Frostbolt have always been strong, it's the clunk that has kept it out of meta. Since DD has the same clunk but scales even better off shit gear, nobody really talks about it. Heirophant, Archmage, Ivory Tower, Kitava's Thirst, scaling strength and int, it looks like ~20M DPS on what I call "starter" gear. "starter" mean nothing over 10s of chaos per slot unless you absolutely need it for the build to function.

There were a few things I couldn't solve that kept me from investing further:
  • The "nearby" targeting on Ice Nova is extremely liberal. I could have Frostbolts travelling in the opposite direction, approximately half a screen away, and the Ice Nova would attach to them. It was really frustrating for killing stragglers.
  • The 50% proc rate meant sometimes you were stuck casting(and repeating) an Ice Nova on yourself. This would happen occasionally in indoor maps as Frostbolt from the previous pack were likely to not travel around corner or into the next room. Automation support might actually help here as you could put something with a short cooldown and jack up its cost to 100 in order to spew out as many Frostbolts as possible. Vortex used to fill this role in these types of builds back when it was instant. But it was also kinda shit at it since it ate Frostbolts.

hmmm automating the frostbolts is sorta interesting

I was just gonna shove them in arcanist brand with return to keep them in a pretty tight area due to arcanists capped projectile distance, but that's definitely still gonna be in the 1-2 button playstyle like DD/bladeblast etc.