Path of Exile

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't know how'd the build work out though, spells tend to not mix too good with attacks builds. Cold Snap is pretty decent, but the cooldown makes it annoying, you'll need to run multiple gems to bypass that, unless you plan on getting Voll's Protector for power charges. Could work but you lose a large amount of stats from the chest, including a lot of mana you don't have in this build. Could grab Eldritch Battery though I guess.
I think it'd be worth looking at EK instead of Cold Snap. It would be a significant change to the build, but EK is still a spell and you'd want to use dagger/shield, or maybe wand/shield in the long run. I linked one variant of it a page or so back, but I'm sure there's other things you can do with EK besides just combining it with Eldritch Battery, Bear Trap (this is skill is godly btw, for anyone who has never tried it), etc.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Another mistake is those 6% cold nodes. These are nodes you want to avoid. 6% isn't a good investment unless it leads to a bigger node. Cut most of these.
I'm playing a Lightning Witch (lvl 29 using Arc for 2+ mobs and Power Syphon for single target), so this may not be valid, but I did some calculations and a +6% base damage increase is good value for points. The problem with Crit chance and crit damage increase nodes is that you need a lot of them before they start paying off, and even then you're just in the range of a couple % damage per skill point.

Caliane

yeah the 6% nodes are pretty by themselves. especially to 1 element.
you have to remember all +damage are added.
Lets say you have a 200 damage skill. Pulse. +20% elemental, +10% spell power, +20% cold. Those all add for +50%. giving you a 300 damage pulse.

+176% in thathttp://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...wXVCKBwfOiow==build from passives alone.
Probably another +70% on weapon? And pulse/cold pen can have more +damage as well.
A single 6% difference is pretty tiny.
200*3.46= 692 or 680

Crit is directly related to how much crit multiplier you have of course.

Spell damage and crit scale of each other as well, obviously as well. If you have +300 spell damage, and only 10% crit. crit is going to be very useful. while if you have +200% crit, and 300% crit multi, and only +50% spell, then spell damage will be ideal.

This is my crit/cold witchs current.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...10VXzO6-RfKg==

No +damage passives yet. Relying on weapon/skill/gear so far for that.
My pulse is like 25% crit chance for +450 crit multiplier.
2 fitness give 54 str, for spell totem, purity. as well as life.
95% es recovery.
Deep thoughts wasn't part of my original plan, but I couldn't afford 3 auras, so grabbed it for more mana. Its still tight, more int nodes and better gear will allow, purity, disc, and clarity all the time.
I'm at like 55mana/s regen at level 46.
30ish evade, 900ish ES. dont remember exacts, changes as I swap gear of course.

next priority is shocking blows and divine toughness.
End gamish. alot of the obvious extras are up for grabs.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...-dFvMmPELD34Q=

Current skills.
Pulse/lmp/faster proj.
Spear/crit damage/cold pen(12%)
arc/spelltotem/faster cast (faster cast is really needed on spell totems now)
disc/clarity (cant afford purity realistically atm)
firestorm.
elem weakness.

Upgrades will be elem proliferation for arc totem. temporal chains+elem weakness.
added lit or faster cast for pulse. mana for all 3 auras.

High precedence on defense on gear. 75% elem resists, 25% chaos in cruel. life and life regen

Spear is good on totems, with LMP. I've considered it. the totem nerf, hurt arc totem pretty bad.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the help Pyros.
I was also considering if it was feasible to forgo blood magic, instead use blood magic support gems on the skills I want to use, then use my mana for purity and maybe some more auras if I can fit them.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Thanks for the help Pyros.
I was also considering if it was feasible to forgo blood magic, instead use blood magic support gems on the skills I want to use, then use my mana for purity and maybe some more auras if I can fit them.
How do auras like hatred work with blood magic? Do they reserve 30% of your hitpoints?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How do auras like hatred work with blood magic? Do they reserve 30% of your hitpoints?
40%, and yes. When you pick blood magic, you don't want to run any of the % based auras. On the other hand the flat auras are pretty cheap to run when you reserve them on your 4-5k health pool.

On Blood Magic support, sure it's viable but you have to remember it increases the cost by 150%(like the gem makes it 250% of the base cost) which can be problematic if you're also stacking other high % supports on your main skill, and obviously it eats a support, which is annoying before 5L. You'd probably want to run normal blood magic first, then once you find the right chest with 5L or 6L you could respec out of it and use the support instead. Kinda depends on the skill and stuff though.

Troll_sl

shitlord
The nice thing about Cold Snap is that it does complement a melee build, if used for that purpose. A fight typically goes: Round up monsters, get them packed together, then Cold Snap and then mop them up with Double Strike. It has pretty high damage and a high freeze rate, and it casts fast with no cast speed investment.

The only other two skills I think I'm going to need for the build are Phase Run (if it gets put back in) and Shield Charge, for closing distance on monsters.

And thanks for the pointers, Pyros. I'm incorporating a few of your suggestions.

Khane

Are 6S weapons and armors worth anything for trading or should I just vendor them for the 7 jeweler's orbs?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are 6S weapons and armors worth anything for trading or should I just vendor them for the 7 jeweler's orbs?
They used to be worth a bit on closed beta cause people had amassed a large amount of fusings and shit so they could actually bother trying, but atm I wouldn't say they're worth anything unless they happen to be rare with good stats too. It's possible to get a 5L out of a 6S without too many using but it could also take 100fusings, and at that price you could probably just buy a 5L. I haven't been keeping them, I sometimes see some ppl trying to sell them but not sure they do or for what price. I generally pop a fusing on them see if I get lucky, then sell them, 4jewelers is a fusing so it's still a gain of 3 jewelers even if you use a fusing, and who knows I could be lucky once.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Do the different vendors return different things when you "sell" them stuff?

Basically I'm wondering how one receives any of the blacksmith's whetstone type stuff to purchase his things.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Page 7 or 14 depending on how you have this forum displayed, I made a post that explains a lot of the basics, there's a link to the list of recipes and how to get every items you can get. It's called recipes, you sell specific stuff to get specific items back, any vendor works. You can also loot them or trade with players. For Whetstones specifically it's selling a 20% quality weapon or a bunch of quality weapons which sum is 40%+, iirc, never did that.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
So sad, lost a beast ass bow mara at 52 to that Brutus clone on the way to creul Piety. I was kiting him around the pillars and he chain hooked pulled me inside of a pillar and I got stuck and he 1 shot me haha.

Khane

They used to be worth a bit on closed beta cause people had amassed a large amount of fusings and shit so they could actually bother trying, but atm I wouldn't say they're worth anything unless they happen to be rare with good stats too. It's possible to get a 5L out of a 6S without too many using but it could also take 100fusings, and at that price you could probably just buy a 5L. I haven't been keeping them, I sometimes see some ppl trying to sell them but not sure they do or for what price. I generally pop a fusing on them see if I get lucky, then sell them, 4jewelers is a fusing so it's still a gain of 3 jewelers even if you use a fusing, and who knows I could be lucky once.
I went to trade chat with 2 level 50 6S armors just to see if I could get any bites. Was able to sell one of em for 2 chaos and 1 alch. Don't know if I found a sucker or what but I guess people are buying them already.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
So sad, lost a beast ass bow mara at 52 to that Brutus clone on the way to creul Piety. I was kiting him around the pillars and he chain hooked pulled me inside of a pillar and I got stuck and he 1 shot me haha.
The #1 ranked HC just died a few hours ago; supposedly he one-shotted himself on a reflect mob. If that makes you feel any better.

Edit: Kripp just died; RIP the top two haha.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The #1 ranked HC just died a few hours ago; supposedly he one-shotted himself on a reflect mob. If that makes you feel any better.

Edit: Kripp just died; RIP the top two haha.
Kripp death was a funny one apparently, one that happened already in closed beta to a 80+ though so he should have known. Double Alira, they kill one, the other one detonate dead on the corpse of first one, since the % is based on max health and alira is a boss, it does a billion and a half dmg, one shot. She one shot kripp and zoldick at the same time(zoldick was #4 or #5 something like that).

Funny that the top default is now HC chars that died.

And khane good to know I'll stop vendoring them then. I guess 6S isn't too bad if you just want a 5L, it has a decent % chance to fuse on a 6S vs trying to fuse 5L on a 5S(because there's 2 different ways it can fuse 5L on 6S, so double the chance). If you're lucky enough and get it quick you could sell the 5L for a solid amount I guess too.

xzi

Mouthbreather
That's cause Kripp get's so fucking greedy with loot. He died like that in Diablo like 3 times too. Wakandan needs to wait 5 seconds and not get 1shot from the most obvious shit. I'm sure his friends aren't going to steal his loot.

That said..
How does Evasion work in this game? Is it worth it looking into it, or is it just far too risky?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
That's cause Kripp get's so fucking greedy with loot. He died like that in Diablo like 3 times too. Wakandan needs to wait 5 seconds and not get 1shot from the most obvious shit. I'm sure his friends aren't going to steal his loot.

That said..
How does Evasion work in this game? Is it worth it looking into it, or is it just far too risky?
Evasion is fine with HP. Similar to armor is fine with HP.

Though most builds you'll see sticks to the tried and true armor over evasion, but as long as you have the HP to sustain it then either should work.

Khane

How does rushing/PLing in this game work? I haven't seen any info on what happens with exp in groups with people certain levels higher/lower than you.

I have a friend I'm trying to catch up, is it better to just rush him through quests and have him go group exp by himself or can I rush him in higher difficulties with him just sitting back?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How does rushing/PLing in this game work? I haven't seen any info on what happens with exp in groups with people certain levels higher/lower than you.

I have a friend I'm trying to catch up, is it better to just rush him through quests and have him go group exp by himself or can I rush him in higher difficulties with him just sitting back?
There's a huge xp penalty for grouping with a large lvl difference, like you get most of the xp and your friend gets shit. What you wanna do is give him the waypoints, have him grind at the most efficient xp places(the ledge, coves, western forest/felshrine, city of sarn, docks) while you run to the end of the various quest shit, then TP him directly to the boss so he gets credit and pick up whatever. This way while he's xping on his own getting full xp in an easy place, you do all the legwork needed. That said, it's pretty boring too since that means all he does is grind, but it does go pretty fast. He probably will want to grind other places inbetween though since that doesn't do all the levels.

I explained last page how I run newbs through act1 for easy gems that I sell for alch orbs, the concept is similar only with the added grinding for levels. You have to do specific quests for each act to be able to go further:
Act1, Glyph wall, kill Brutus, kill Merveil
Act2, Go to town(I think?), Gem in sins, Spear in Weaver, Open roots in river's crossing, Bandit quest, kill Vaal
Act3, Find the woman, find piety in crematorium, find the thingie in docks and bring it to gemling queen, put the explosive on the wall in the sewers, kill piety.

What would probably go faster though is play a new char with him. Use your high lvl to give him all the waypoints, then play with him(he TPs you to the waypoints). You can skip a bunch of stuff, but the game goes a lot faster with more people, assuming you don't do derp builds.