Path of Exile

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ok, it's kinda impossible to gauge what's outdated in the official forums and what's not; guess i should have played a bit before the OB. So, dual wield axe ranger, can it be done?
Absolutely anything in this game can be done. It is amazing how well the passive tree is set up. It's daunting at first but they have a lot of great skills that can make so many builds viable, not only that but the itemization is top notch.

They did a lot of the game the right way, remember being sick of seeing items that were useless in the Diablo games (even before that shit show of an MMO knock off D3)? Well since you can traverse the passive tree as any character and make some pretty interesting builds you won't see wands with crit strike or daggers with spell damage going to waste because guess what... there's a build for that!

It's so simple yet so elegant.

In other news, what are the good grinding spots in this game post normal, cruel, merciless? I'm level 45 and practically done with Cruel but I'm gonna need to grind out some levels here so I'm not so underpowered.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sounds like you weren't smart enough to figure that one out. Having fun on default?
don't kid yourself mate, this is a bitch thing to do. I'm soon 50 on hardcore and would never consider playing default

The game lets you TP out if it's in a pinch, why not settle for that? Seems to me like you're playing hardcore because you want the bragging rights of being max level there but none of the real risks associated with it

Skrigg

Golden Squire
In other news, what are the good grinding spots in this game post normal, cruel, merciless? I'm level 45 and practically done with Cruel but I'm gonna need to grind out some levels here so I'm not so underpowered.
Act 1 - The Ledge
Act 2 - Western Forest, Fellshrine Ruins, Waterfall Cave
Act 3 - City of Sarn, The Docks

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've decided I'm not going to even bother trying HC until the servers are a bit more stable. GGG has been doing great, but it's kinda bad right now.
It's kinda the same situation D3 was in, the servers are really shitty during euro primetime and early US EST, but the rest of the time it's fine. I currently play like euro day time and I never have an issue.

Khane on the grinding spots, generally people grind The Ledge in act1, Western Forest and Felshrine Ruins in act2(felshrine is lower lvl but mobs tend to be a lot easier, they massively buffed the golems there though so if you only get rare golems it takes forever) and the first area and the Docks in act3(first area you stick to the water side to avoid the beartrap EK puncture crazy ass named).

Silence_sl

shitlord
don't kid yourself mate, this is a bitch thing to do. I'm soon 50 on hardcore and would never consider playing default

The game lets you TP out if it's in a pinch, why not settle for that? Seems to me like you're playing hardcore because you want the bragging rights of being max level there but none of the real risks associated with it
Why in hell would someone play hardcore, yet pussy out when shit gets remotely hard?

Weird people on this planet.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I alt-f4ed once on a hardcore character and it logged out instantly. However, I only did this due to an old bug that made you unable to move or use skills (except flasks).

I haven't bothered to be honest, when I need alchs/chaos, I reduce my graphics, launch 3 additional clients with trash gmail accounts I had from lol IP farming, makes 3 shadows(or sometimes 2shadows and 1witch), run them to town, then group everyone,do mudflats glyph wall on my high lvlthen loot the glyphs/click wall on newbs, run to brutus, TP everyone outside brutus room, then TP everyone to cavern of wrath. Run takes 5-10mins depending on my luck with brutus, gives 3 clarity 1fork 1cold dmg 1critical strike dmg(or 1lightning dmg if I run the witch). I sell them all for an alch each, the clarities usually sell within 5mins, rest kinda depends but sells eventually.
Can you clarify this? You make new Shadows and run them through all of the quests until A Caged Brute? Seems like that would take longer than 5-10 minutes. I'd like to get a couple of extra gems that I've been missing for my main.

Caliane

Can you clarify this? You make new Shadows and run them through all of the quests until A Caged Brute? Seems like that would take longer than 5-10 minutes. I'd like to get a couple of extra gems that I've been missing for my main.
3 quests.
Mudflats glyph wall is a gate. a player can not use a TP past it, until they do that quest. After they do, they can TP all the way to brutus or prison. But do need to do that, before tehy can do merveil.

Brutus gives really good skill gems as quests. clarity/fork for witches/shadows. lesser multi for rangers.

He did ignore mentioning hillockx3 time.

1:30x 3 for each hillock probably. 2:30 for mudflats can running each char to wall. 1:30 for brutus and turning in quests. 8-10 sounds about right.

Note, I mentioned running alts to brutus for some of the key skill gems. Witch and ranger I think have some amazing ones, that are really key for each other. Fork, lmp.
Using multi-box allows really abusing it.

His idea is basically providing a service. It is REALLY worth running an alt to get those gems. Or by boxing he can speed it up and sell the gems for orbs. Where its cheaper for everyone.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Never play in windowed mode on HC?I learned a painful lesson in Cruel.

I?ve never liked playing HC in any game I?ve played in the past but now I find I can?t get enough of it in PoE. My character that died was a beast and I?m torn about still playing him in default or rolling a new toon in HC. Default just doesn?t seem like it will be as fun.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Er, Brutus only gets you Clarity. You'd have to do the graveyard, allflame, and cove to complete the quest for Fork/Faster Projectiles (not LMP)/LoH/Weapon Elemental. The first LMP quest is Weaver's Needle in Act 2 for Shadow/Ranger. Thespreadsheetis up to date now, by the way.

And I'm curious, why no windowed HC? I always play the game in either a 25:10 desktop window (ranged characters) or fake fullscreen window.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I was fighting a unique near the top of my screen and for whatever reason I caused the window to freeze and I had to reselect the window to unfreeze it, in all the confusion I died. It was stupid of me but I don't want it to happen again even if it is a low probability event.

I would have been fine if I wasn't fighting a unique.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Why do developers think its fun getting stunlocked? At this point, I'm going to have to build every character around Unwavering. Because being stunlocked is so fucking fun!

At least put in a small delay after getting stunned where you can't get stunned again, even if only for a half second. I want to be able to fucking react, not just sit there like a Tyen and get fucked in the ass.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I have a 4L pair of white zealot boots (str/int helm, 4 reds), a 5L white Labrys (str/dex 2h axe, 4 reds 1 blue) and a 4L finned helmed (str/dex 2red, 2 green). What can I get for these? I figure I should trade em early rather than later, probably get a better price for em

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Er, Brutus only gets you Clarity. You'd have to do the graveyard, allflame, and cove to complete the quest for Fork/Faster Projectiles (not LMP)/LoH/Weapon Elemental. The first LMP quest is Weaver's Needle in Act 2 for Shadow/Ranger. Thespreadsheetis up to date now, by the way.

And I'm curious, why no windowed HC? I always play the game in either a 25:10 desktop window (ranged characters) or fake fullscreen window.
No you don't need to do anything for the support but zone in cavern of wrath, which you can do from a direct TP once you've killed Brutus. I do it multiboxing 3 accounts and I explained exactly how I do it but I guess I should have been clearer, you need a higher lvl to make this quick

Make the newbs, run to town(killing Hillock, checking chests but not killing anything else). Group up. Use high lvl, go to Mud flats. Find the 3 glyphs, clear around them. TP at one of them, zone in all the newbs, run them to all 3 glyphs to pick it up. Take the high lvl, find the wall to click, clear the way, open a TP back to town and go to town. Run the newbs the same way to complete the glyph wall quest and take the TP to town. Take high level, waypoint to Lower Prison, run around to find upper then brutus. TP at the door to brutus room, zone in all the newbs. Kill Brutus with high level, all the newbs zone out, TP out(or run outside and use the waypoint) with the high level, take the waypoint to Cavern of Wrath, open a TP, zone in all the newbs, zone out, turn in your quests. You get hillock quest, brutus quest and the support quest. 1clarity+1support per newb you ran. To do it again, you need to reset all the zones but lower prison which I believe you can keep open and only reset Upper Prison to reset brutus(haven't really bothered though).

It's a very easy process once you're lvl 25-30 only(higher means quicker usually, can run faster and kill brutus faster), creating accounts is very quick since you don't need to verify them, just need to be able to run multiple clients.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ah right, I forgot about opening a portal to cheese the way into cavern of wrath.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Why do developers think its fun getting stunlocked? At this point, I'm going to have to build every character around Unwavering. Because being stunlocked is so fucking fun!

At least put in a small delay after getting stunned where you can't get stunned again, even if only for a half second. I want to be able to fucking react, not just sit there like a Tyen and get fucked in the ass.
There's 2 other mechanics to prevent/reduce stuns. First the obvious one, there's a stat for it(as well as passives that gives you a chance to avoid that are not Unwavering, most of them in the ranger area). Second, you get stunned when the hit does too much damage compared to your health. If you have a high health pool, you don't get stunned often/at all and if you do it's so short it's basically just an interupt. Stun is a mechanic meant to fuck glass canons who actually get hit and haven't prepared for it. Unwavering, the unique neck, the stat, there's quite a few ways to deal with it. Also you have a 50% chance to avoid stuns if you had any ES left when you got hit.

So I have a 4L pair of white zealot boots (str/int helm, 4 reds), a 5L white Labrys (str/dex 2h axe, 4 reds 1 blue) and a 4L finned helmed (str/dex 2red, 2 green). What can I get for these? I figure I should trade em early rather than later, probably get a better price for em
4Ls are only worth 1alch unless they happen to also have stats. Might get 2 from a desperate person but not likely. A 5L axe though can net you a pretty good price, but I wouldn't know exactly how much. I'd sell at 6-10alchs value but I don't know, a 5L chest would sell for a lot more cause everyone can use it, 5L axe means only specific builds(mostly basically sweep builds) can use so yeah. I'd say 6alch might be the best you could get for it, but you can always try to auction it during prime time and see.

Troll_sl

shitlord
There's 2 other mechanics to prevent/reduce stuns. First the obvious one, there's a stat for it(as well as passives that gives you a chance to avoid that are not Unwavering, most of them in the ranger area). Second, you get stunned when the hit does too much damage compared to your health. If you have a high health pool, you don't get stunned often/at all and if you do it's so short it's basically just an interupt. Stun is a mechanic meant to fuck glass canons who actually get hit and haven't prepared for it. Unwavering, the unique neck, the stat, there's quite a few ways to deal with it. Also you have a 50% chance to avoid stuns if you had any ES left when you got hit.
Stunlocking is still a shit mechanic, no matter which way you cut it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Stunlocking is still a shit mechanic, no matter which way you cut it.
Well sure it sucks but it's a bit like saying getting one shot is a shitty mechanic because you ran into vaal's slam with no health item or passives or into a frost mob with negative cold resists. It does happen more frequently though so I guess it does suck a 1sec stun immunity after a stun probably wouldn't hurt. But it's still a counterable mechanic in multiple ways. And I think it's the offset for being able to run out of range of attacks, unlike say D3 where once an attack is initiated, you better be able to tank the dmg cause you're getting hit regardless.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I've alt f4'd once in this game and it was to the bear trapper in Act 3 that threw a trap on me before I even saw him on screen stunning me for 6 seconds and proceeding to continue throwing bear traps keeping me stun locked. Call it a bitch move if u want but I feel that mob is not balanced very well. This is still beta for a reason....trying to poo poo on alt f4ing in an attempt to make yourself sound like a better or more skilled player is silly. Just dont come crying when you hit a bug or unbalanced encounter and lose your char.