Path of Exile

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The more time I've been putting into the character, the more I'm enjoying this game. There are so many builds that I want to try out, esp in hardcore cutthroat. They did confirm that it makes all zones public. It's going to be a nuthouse day 1. I hope this league goes in during open beta (Jan 23rd).

Legendaries are what they are supposed to be out of the bag here. Some even give you the chance to spec around the entire item. Submitted for your approval, this low level bow has the fastest attack speed in the game. There is a spec based on just adding tons of elemental damage to your attacks that you can go that makes this thing crazy. See about 2:15 intothis.

Picked this one up for my summoner, inb4 any boots I've seen have a chance to have extra movespeed as a random stat:
2chn76o.jpg

You can summon dead enemies that previously gave auras or cast curses for you as spectres and their summoned versions provide their auras to you and your minions.

For 10$ give this one a chance (give it a few nights of playing to get into it) if you're bored. Anyone who enjoys character building can trace around the passives tree and come up with fun yet viable ideas.

Also, if your char does die in any of the hardcore modes, it gets transferred to the default league. A great way to encourage getting players into at least trying hardcore if you ask me.

Will try to answer any Q's to the best of my ability if anyone's stuck.

2chn76o.jpg

I believe that cutthroat leagues will be an event only thing, but I do know that you can pay to make your own league and make it whatever you want to, and invite whoever you want to said league.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
As of right now the cut throat league is event only. But that, I believe Chris said, is only until they can figure out a good way to implement it fully. As of right now they just want to finish the 3rd act and the balance/test the current skillsets and gear. They still have to see how the servers are going to perform once it goes into open beta. They have been throwing bots at the servers to stress test them, but that only goes so far.

A ton of people are loving the cut throat events. And I think most of us would love to see it made public ladder. But they would need to address many issues to properly implement it and I think it is wise of them to focus on the rest of the game first. The development team's sense of priority is awesome. I wish more teams would take that outlook and focus on polishing needed things rather than splitting their focus and trying to implement too much at once, often times resulting in half assed portions of the game.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
As of right now the cut throat league is event only. But that, I believe Chris said, is only until they can figure out a good way to implement it fully. As of right now they just want to finish the 3rd act and the balance/test the current skillsets and gear. They still have to see how the servers are going to perform once it goes into open beta. They have been throwing bots at the servers to stress test them, but that only goes so far.

A ton of people are loving the cut throat events. And I think most of us would love to see it made public ladder. But they would need to address many issues to properly implement it and I think it is wise of them to focus on the rest of the game first. The development team's sense of priority is awesome. I wish more teams would take that outlook and focus on polishing needed things rather than splitting their focus and trying to implement too much at once, often times resulting in half assed portions of the game.
yeah, the game seems imbalanced as fuck for pvp but it also looks pretty hilarious, in a good way, the way it is now. only reason i`d play this game is cutthroat.

Flank_sl

shitlord
People are fairly good at these races now. If you have no practice or cannot put in 8 hours a day you wont rank high enough to get the good rewards. To give you an idea, people will be hitting level 40 in 3 hours or so.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I've just started playing and god damn! So many builds. Have done some reading up on + friends explaining a few things to me. I can sit and make builds all day.. can't wait for this game to release. Glad I got some time to dick around before then, though

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just got this and 5-6 hours later I'm 25 (on default server).

I don't see how someone could get 40 in 3 hours. Is there some OP build? I played a marauder the whole time and melee does not seem like the win; the stupid crabs/bugs walk under you all the time, not to mention abilities firing at the air and not the mob infront of you.

I can definitely see what people were saying about sweep. With all the targetting issues I get lazy and spam it sometimes, even with just 2 mobs.

Playing this game just makes me sad that D3 couldn't have been more creative with the classes / skill trees.

Caliane

I think any D3 defenders clearly did not play this or Torchlight. Trying them first, really highlighted just how devoid of any creativity, or understanding of the genre D3 was.

Flank_sl

shitlord
There are many builds that can level quickly, a ground slam marauder has a slight edge early on, but other builds compete with it.

You are level 25 in 6 hours because you just got the game and probably played through the zones sequentially. Levelling fast requires knowledge and practice. You run straight through some zones to arrive under levelled at the good zones (xp/minute) and run those ones several times (ctrl click to reset instance). You dont waste time looting etc, as you only need a few key items.

I am not even good at levelling fast, but I can get to 25 in two hours. Some people have been running these race events for a year, and they are very good at them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also important to mention but 3hours races good players will use builds you generally wouldn't use to maximize killing speed. While you could recover with some to a decent build, some are pretty much fucked for endgame.

Been playing this these past few days, I still wish there were a lot more skills as I feel I'm pretty limited in my choices at the moment, sure you can modify the skills with support gems and run many different variation of the same main skill build based on how you do defenses or wether or not you stack auras and so on but for example, there's only a handful if that of fire spells and most of them are inadequate to spam/use on a caster so you either spam fireball(which sucks but that's a balance issue) or firestorm. And because fireball sucks, there's only really one major fire witch build which is firestorm spam then you have variations of that. It's a bit similar for cold and lightning, each have 2 main builds(spark and arc, freezing blast and ice spear). Wish there were more spells for each category. The cool thing about their systems is it's very easy to add new skills without fucking people over, just hope they'll add a bunch in the open beta patch.

I like the new passive tree though, it feels a lot better than it used to, you don't need too many points to go all around the grid and grab major passives on the other side if you want to do a weird build, so you can really do cool stuff, as long as you use certain paths. Also a large amount of passives have a unique which has the property so you can instead use gear to make fun builds so that's great.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Never played this before, but Ive checked out a few videos, and holy shit, Im throwing my wallet at my screen.
Well "launch", which they decided to call open beta is next month but you can spend 10$ right now to get into the closed beta and play. Those 10$ will give you 10$ worth of F2P money once the game launches, which you can use to buy stash tabs, so it's not wasted money even if closed beta is over soon. You could try finding an invite but I don't think they give invites much anymore, don't know though. Playing on a friend's account and he only ever got one invite a long time ago, and he's been in beta in a while.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Ah, well thanks for the heads up. I may just pay now, only 10 dollars, I haven't bought anything on the Steam sales and fuck I threw 60 at D3. Plus I'm a student on holiday break so now is the time to game.

Ill hold out for a few hours just incase anyone sees this and wants to throw out an invite
biggrin.png

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty much same as Lemmi. This game looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

Nirgon, I saw you post about HC D2 PVP and wanted to echo what you had said about it. I had dueling barbs for the first few ladders of 1.10 and the feeling in your gut when you were in combat with someone worthwhile has never been surpassed in a game before or after. There was also that classic noise that accompanied somebody going hostile that would always send a chill down my spine. You'd be leveling some alt in a Baal game and you'd hear that noise and for a split second you'd just have to just pray you weren't about to get pelted with TPPK.

Flank_sl

shitlord
The game was worth $10 a year ago. You wont regret spending that on it now. It is not perfect, but you will get at least a few hours out of it, if not a lot more.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I signed up for beta access almost a year ago and they finally sent me an invite about a week ago. I'm still interested, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time it takes to download the (4 gig) installer. I can see in the FAQ that they're pretty vague about hardware requirements. They say that it runs on everyday laptops. They don't say what exactly they consider an everyday laptop though.

tl;dr: Has anyone found PoE to be playable on a shitty laptop, and if so, what were your system specs?

Ryanz

<Banned>
To new players...just remember that when you first start out...things are going to feel a little weird. The animations and movement take a little bit of time to get used to...not to mention when you first start the game, combat and the entire pace of the game is really slow. I was put off at first like many others have been, but if you stick with it the game it really starts to shine as you dive into the complexities of the passive tree, and combat starts to accelerate as you get higher level. So don't give up on it early...at least get to level 30ish before passing judgement imo.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I signed up for beta access almost a year ago and they finally sent me an invite about a week ago. I'm still interested, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time it takes to download the (4 gig) installer. I can see in the FAQ that they're pretty vague about hardware requirements. They say that it runs on everyday laptops. They don't say what exactly they consider an everyday laptop though.

tl;dr: Has anyone found PoE to be playable on a shitty laptop, and if so, what were your system specs?
It will run like absolute shit without a decent graphics card. I can run it at a steady 60 fps on a 560, but some zones are pretty unplayable on an old 7950.