Path of Exile

Flank_sl

shitlord
Ledge is the best act 1 zone. It is easy and there are usually a few big packs to aoe down. I use topaz rings when I do it so I can kill the boss also, but I have no experience of grinding it in a group. The problem with act 1 is that the other zones are all worse than the ledge. The coves had a lot of monsters but you have to deal with tar and vulnerability.

Suicide mobs give xp when they blow up. The western forest has good mob density and is fairly safe (use ruby rings). The problem with fellshrine for melee is that the monsters move slow so you can only kill a few at a time. The reason I would replace western with felshrine in merciless is that western is hard when you first hit merci, so you need to keep charges up to be safe. Felshrine is much easier.

Thi is useless info now, but back in the 9.7 patch Coves and Felshrine were awesome, but they both got nerfed so we are now left with ledge and western forest for fast xp.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So this is still in beta? You can't play unless you donate?
Like I said a little bit upthread, I made an account on the PoE website and requested beta access on Jan 3 2012, and they finally sent me an invitation to actually download and play the beta a couple weeks ago. So it's theoretically possible to play without donating, but it also sounds like donating the $10 will speed up the process quite a bit.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Like I said a little bit upthread, I made an account on the PoE website and requested beta access on Jan 3 2012, and they finally sent me an invitation to actually download and play the beta a couple weeks ago. So it's theoretically possible to play without donating, but it also sounds like donating the $10 will speed up the process quite a bit.
Every 5 minutes a person who is signed up to the POE website will get beta access. $10 doesn't just "speed up" the process, it gets you in instantly.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thi is useless info now, but back in the 9.7 patch Coves and Felshrine were awesome, but they both got nerfed so we are now left with ledge and western forest for fast xp.
I think Coves is still good, but mostly as a range char, if you start walking into the tar it slows down quite a lot. Also getting swarmed by vuln crabs can be bad so need to be a bit careful at least.

My summoner kinda mows through shit though so I don't really care which zone is "easier" cause everything is easy. The first 25levels or so are pretty rough, especially Merveil, Butcher(or whatever) and Oak are hard to do early on, Oak was way harder than Vaal in normal, asshole just leaps around non stop one shotting my skeletons and not taking any dmg. As you level however it becomes easier and easier until the point only certain specific abilities can kill my zombies at all and everything just dies without ever getting close.

Now I have 2 Ice Spear totems too for added insurance, need to find a 4L b b g r to get GMP on it but even with just fast cast it's awesome, I spam firestorm with flammability which also increase minion instability dmg A LOT so that's great so I actually do a lot of damage and then yeah just the bunch of minions. I'm hesitating to go CI soonish, I'm at almost 1k ES at lvl 45, so I probably wouldn't die at that point but I'm not entirely sure plus it kinda limits my armor choices to pure ES otherwise it's a big hit to survivability. Atm I'm gonna get the mana nodes so I can 2 more auras(purity and a dmg one, so far I only have wrath though) then the +30% effect on buffs and +50% aura radius so they hit my zombie nicely.

I find casters fairly interesting because there's a lot of options with totems, curses and auras to configure your setup, also body and soul nodes+health or CI with full ES nodes, nice choice. I wish there was a bit more variety for offensive skills for melees, especially DW. I wanted to make a DW ranger but I really don't want to be spamming cleave all games, I had hoped Whirling Blades would be a good alternative but since it only hits with one hand it's pretty terrible. The only 2 DW abilities(specifically DW I mean) are dual strike and cleave so you kinda end up taking both in every build which sucks.

Open beta massive changes soon though, so that's cool.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Just to make sure that you know: Inner Force (30% buff effect) only applies to all buffs affecting you. It will not buff your minions.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just to make sure that you know: Inner Force (30% buff effect) only applies to all buffs affecting you. It will not buff your minions.
Yeah I'm getting it because I'm running 3 auras atm, Discipline Clarity and Purity and it's a pretty large buff to these, especially Discipline which adds to your base ES which is then multiplied by your ES% nodes(and eventually all of that is further multiplied by CI once I take it). I get like 70ES from it which is more than any other pieces besides a chest can give me, so that's pretty nice.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It will run like absolute shit without a decent graphics card. I can run it at a steady 60 fps on a 560, but some zones are pretty unplayable on an old 7950.
I never had any issues running PoE on my old crossfired 4870s, at max settings at 1920x1200. those video cards are still going to be better than what you would find in any low to midrange laptop though. It's probably going to take a pretty decent laptop to run the game well. I find it hard to believe that the game was unplayable on a 7950, that card is way the hell better than my old 4870s before I upgraded. I have a 660Ti now which is pretty comparable to a 7950 and it's just flawless.

I assume that has to be a typo on the 7950? Because that "old 7950" is a much more powerful card than your new 560

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This cut throat league needs to just be created. Bout ta get back on D3.
Doubt they'll run a league while still doing the 1week HC race, so probably won't be until next week. They said they'll run concurent leagues for open beta though. Imo still worth playing over D3 at the moment and that's while missing a large part of the content. I just find the depth of itemization/spell customization/builds a lot better than D3. Haven't played since launch though and heard the last couple patches did some good for D3, still not a big fan of the RMAH and balance implications in terms of loot and itemization in general was a lot worse, 99% of the rare loot was still trash due to shit stats and what not. At least in PoE, if you find a white with good links, you can make it a rare, then reroll the stats until you get a perfect item assuming you have enough consumables or if you find a rare that's almost perfect but not quite, you can try to change that.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I never had any issues running PoE on my old crossfired 4870s, at max settings at 1920x1200. those video cards are still going to be better than what you would find in any low to midrange laptop though. It's probably going to take a pretty decent laptop to run the game well. I find it hard to believe that the game was unplayable on a 7950, that card is way the hell better than my old 4870s before I upgraded. I have a 660Ti now which is pretty comparable to a 7950 and it's just flawless.

I assume that has to be a typo on the 7950? Because that "old 7950" is a much more powerful card than your new 560
It was actually a 7950 GTX, which I believe is the best 7x series card they made. Only 256mb of memory on it though. It literally runs at <3fps in forest zones, and that is after i customized the settings for the app to really reduce the quality.

With a 560 GTX with 4 gb of memory it runs perfectly on the highest settings.

I do not know a great deal about graphics cards. I know that while the 7950 GTX was a powerful beast in it's day, it was designed for dx9 and it has big problems with path of exile. That card would run Starcraft 2 just fine, but as soon as you played PoE on it the GPU temperature would increase by 40 degrees C. A lot of other people also had temperature and quality problems with old nvidia cards (check the PoE support forum from the start of this year), while ATI cards seemed to no have the temperature problems.

----

Every game I have runs a lot better on the 560. The 7950 is like 8 years old though, and has been used a lot. I think you might be underrating the 560 a bit, while it is not a top end card it is actually pretty good. According to a quick hierachy chart, the 7950 is a lot worse than a 560 or 4870s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

---

Found the mixup, I was talking about na old nvidia 7950. You are talking about ATI. Sorry, I did not know ATI had a card called 7950.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ah yep...damn confusing numbering systems. Kinda funny that ATI/AMD is now using number sytems similar to what Nvidia did a decade ago, 7000 series, 8000 series coming next year, etc. confusing as hell.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I definitely enjoy the build possibilities in this game much more than D3.

I'm just saying, given the incoming wipe, I'll play D3 until the wipe and hopefully the CT league is a permanent fixture by then.

Prime_sl

shitlord
Thinking about picking it up.

Also, I don't know how you can believe other people will out level Kripp. He plays a stupid amount and actually understands the game.

Flank_sl

shitlord
But he isn't the only one. There are a few guys that will play for 16 hours a day, and they actually have experience. They just are not racing this time. Panda has won hundreds of races. And there are a few guys like Mouze and Inva who are also very fast. Kripp is 75 now after 3 days. That's good, but he hasn't hit the wall yet. I don't know how much experience he has with the high level maps, and whether he knows how to best use them (he may of wasted good ones already, etc). I am sure he will learn, but he just has not been playing for that long. I was also put off when someone recommended that I watch his videos, and he was using a stupid build doing easy content, that would not of worked on the hard content. Maybe he was just messing around, though.

Bear in mind that going from level 80 to 81 takes about as long as going from level 1 to 60.

I just had a quick look at the ladders, and Kripp has never had a character this high before. Bearing in mind that it is a hardcore race, he is at a serious disadvantage. There are a few bosses that are no joke.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
he has had chars this high before. when he was talking to Chris, they talked about one of his previous HC chars that was lvl 83. So I am not sure where all of your info is coming from.

edit: Tried to look up the race. I believe it was held in August where he got low 80's. But my search only brought up one thread and it didn't have the results in it anymore.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
I want this game, but theres not really much point toward dropping $10 to get into the beta, because its going into open beta in a month, right?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
His current build seems really strong, but it has to be the most boring build ever. Even dual spork totems is more fun I think, it's basically a full autoattack build with extremely defensive stats but it does alright damage due to siphon scaling.

Anyway almost 60 on my summoner, I'll stop once I reach that don't really care about grinding. First Hardcore char ever, including Diablo and Torchlight, hadn't killed Vaal before even and cleared the whole thing already, it's a pretty easy build to play but it's also pretty fun. Merciless and Ruthless Vaal gave me a scare though because of some stupid shit(Ruthless landed like 3rocks in a row on me and Merciless hit me for 50% of my "health" with one laser since I only have like 25%lightning) but other than that and almost dying just before taking CI to poison arrow archers in Sins Merciless(400hp only, luckily I noticed and ran the fuck out of the invisible cloud shit), it went well. I changed it to a lightning heavy build to speed up killing, dual spork totems and replaced firestorm with arc then conductivity to increase the totem dmg a lot, most of the mobs die instantly even lightning resist bosses if I drop the 2 totems on them and curse them.

Spell totems are crazy retarded though, I'm sure they'll be nerfed heavily for the open beta. They should do like 30% dmg instead of 60%, maybe even 20%.