Path of Exile

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can't you use Facebreaker uniques to make some kind of hand 2 hand combat class?

Tuco you might want to check out a "Flicker" build shadow, sounds like what youre describing.

Elerion

N00b
To clarify: You can make any kind of character. The system is extremely flexible, there's a fuckton of skills you can combine in thousands of ways, and new ones are added every other week. You can make a high mobility, high dps, low defense melee character. It will, however, be a character that dies very easily unless you have access to top-of-the-line gear.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thanks bros. This is in my queue after bioshock infinite which means I'll prob start it tomorrow based on how short I hear bioshock is.

Do you guys meet up in an IRC/vent or anything or is the ingame social stuff good enough?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can make a claw weapon dual wield shadow/ranger with whirlding blades and/or flickerstrike and do something very similar, however as pointed out, it will require very very good gear to be even remotely viable because of the current mechanics.

While the game is great and has a lot of depth in how you build your char, the current balance and mechanics are such that there's a certain main trend to make chars viable, at least for HC, which involves stacking very large amount of health and having as many defensive options as possible. Being melee already removes the best defense in the game, not getting hit, so you can't skimp on the others at all, which is partly why Acrobatics is pretty shitty.

However one plus compared to D3, at least unless it was changed, is you can physically avoid any attack or spells(besides a few exceptions like Arc) by just moving out of the way, so a whirling blade with very fast attack speed can generally get your out of trouble instantly and without fail, unless you're spamming it then you desync(your position server side gets desynced with your client side position and you start rubberbanding around and you don't actually move which isn't very fun). In D3 as far as I remember, once a mob initiates an attack on you, you're getting hit regardless. One downside of PoE however is you can't cancel whatever you're doing to move away, you have to finish your animation, which is why if you want extreme mobility you also need extreme attack speed(dual wield, fast weapons, attack speed gear/passives, frenzy charges).

Assuming you play SC and you don't mind making a char that might be optimal for endgame to test stuff out however, you could probably just make a dual wield claw build from the start and go with that. You'll die every now and then but it's good practice to see what is truly dangerous or not, which safer builds won't prepare you for. Also for at least until merciless act2, even with crappy gear melees tend to be extremely viable if you spend an alch buying decent weapons every 10levels.

If you want to play that, decide on a class(mostly cosmetics, preferably shadow or ranger for claws/daggers, duellist/ranger/marauder/templar for swords/axes) and I can link you a build based on that that should be work for a new player as well as gems you need and how to get them quickly.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Playing an agile melee dps class isn't really a requirement of mine, just a preference. If it's not a good class for end-game I don't want to play it. Really I guess I'd rather play one of the current fotm builds and if I want to have a less-powerful alt class I'll make that sometime.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Playing an agile melee dps class isn't really a requirement of mine, just a preference. If it's not a good class for end-game I don't want to play it. Really I guess I'd rather play one of the current fotm builds and if I want to have a less-powerful alt class I'll make that sometime.
The current fotm strongest specs would be ultra tanky freezing pulse or ethereal knives caster(FP is better imo, safer against reflect, safer in general due to freeze/chill), dual spark totem variations(summoner and traps mixed in) and lightning arrow archers builds. Melees are simply at a big disadvantage in endgame at the moment because of the huge damage the mobs do in general, it's more gear reliant and even with good gear it's still a much riskier play. I wouldn't recommend a melee as first char, besides maybe a pseudo ranged like a ground slam marauder, but really that's like a freezing pulse build, only with a shittier skill and requiring better weapons.

They're adding melee supports though and they have plans to make melees better soon so it'll get better. Also it's not like unplayable, and imo a lot better than D3 at launch as a melee in inferno for example. You just need to be more careful, more aware of all the little details both mechanics and mob behaviour/content and it's generally a lot less efficient at killing shit because of that(and also because well it's melee). I like playing melees, but once you reach maps it gets a bit painful, and especially if you group you feel fairly useless. Since I mostly reroll once I reach maps though I don't quite care.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
For longevity I found making my first character by the seat of my pants to be fun. Just using whatever came my way with little knowledge of the game. Then once I got around lvl 40 and things became pretty tough I rerolled and made a "strong" freezing pulse build that didn't require much gear.

I will say for leveling almost any character Leap slam + high damage 2h'er +Life on hit gem is pretty fun and easy lvl'ing for getting up to lvl 40 ish.

If you want quick and fairly useful knowledge about the game without having to dig, kripparion's channel on youtube has a ton of informative videos.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
What Pyros said about reflect is so true I dont know how you HC guys do it. One moment of lapse of not hovering over a named = one shot from reflect physical mobs. Thats the real bad side to high dps physical builds.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You can definitely make a high DPS, low armor(but high evasion, or energy shield) character that is totally viable in the default(softcore) league. Dying there isn't much of a setback, just exp loss(once you are past normal difficulty).

Hardcore is way more restrictive, it's all about survivability, which is all about health and defense.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What Pyros said about reflect is so true I dont know how you HC guys do it. One moment of lapse of not hovering over a named = one shot from reflect physical mobs. Thats the real bad side to high dps physical builds.
I find reflect to be mostly an issue when you play EK which can creates super large amount of burst due to the aoe factor and high base dmg per cast. As a melee for example I don't find it to be much of an issue because it's unlikely you'll be hitting as many targets anyway. I guess it could happen though especially if you're going glass canon melee type build but as a melee you probably wouldn't do that anyway so it tends to be less of an issue. Maybe Leap slam physical builds I don't know I don't play these, but never been an issue with a physical cleave for example because it's a lot of smaller hits so even if you hit a lot of mobs it doesn't reflect that much. Also you can evade/block reflected attacks, which you can't do on reflected spells, so that adds an extra layer of defense against reflects as a melee.

Oh and LoH which heals instantly and works on attacks but not spells.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am finding the Explosive Arrow build based off of the unique Quill Rain to be a hell of a lot of fun. Plus it only costs alchemy or chaos to get and it's pretty much all you need.

I'll add a YouTube of the build later on when I am home but you essentially stack 5 explosive arrow shows on mobs per second then watch the explosions.

Throw in stuff like LMP, Life on Hit (Blood Magic to), increased conc effect and lots of fire damage and HP nodes and let the good times roll.

Cons:
1. Requires Quill Rain unique but still appears to be cheap to get
2. Single Target Damage sucks (I use bear trap + elemental hit to kill bosses)
3. Elemental Reflect: You have 80% FR and 4K health yet when your explosions go off you can still do enough damage to one shot yourself.....FUN

People using this build in hardcore actually take less fire damage nodes so this doesn't happen. I am currently 37 in softcore but with 0 deaths.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I posted videos of that build, well my variation which is single arrow with prolif/chance to ignite spreading burns, but the build is pretty fun and very strong.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'm really liking Hardcore more than I thought I would, after months of playing default league. I'm on my second character(first died at like lvl 15 to my own stupidity), and up to about lvl 47 or so with only a couple close calls so far. So far the only downside seems to be that by farming/outleveling areas to ensure survival, it kills your drop rates for gear and currency when you're pretty far above a zone level. Hell, I didn't get a single yellow item off of Vaal or Piety when I killed them on normal. I'm at Act 2 Cruel now, and I think I've seen a total of 1 alchemy orb drop so far(and I made 1 from shards/scraps), I usually have half a dozen by this point on default league, hitting zones when I'm actually around their level.
A little IIR goes a long way. It doesn't help so much with currency drops, but if you have like even 30 IIR you should see a decent amount of yellow drops. Well, a decent amount compared to having none. If I was starting HC, I would level a ranged character and stack IIR as much as possible to get some drops, at least for Normal and Cruel, maybe switch out for some of the tougher bosses on Cruel. Normal is pretty easy.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I find reflect to be mostly an issue when you play EK which can creates super large amount of burst due to the aoe factor and high base dmg per cast. As a melee for example I don't find it to be much of an issue because it's unlikely you'll be hitting as many targets anyway. I guess it could happen though especially if you're going glass canon melee type build but as a melee you probably wouldn't do that anyway so it tends to be less of an issue. Maybe Leap slam physical builds I don't know I don't play these, but never been an issue with a physical cleave for example because it's a lot of smaller hits so even if you hit a lot of mobs it doesn't reflect that much. Also you can evade/block reflected attacks, which you can't do on reflected spells, so that adds an extra layer of defense against reflects as a melee.

Oh and LoH which heals instantly and works on attacks but not spells.
Im a 100% physical ranger using RoA build + Conc Effect @9k dps but my hps are low in the mid 3's and armor around 6k, might be why.

Allies reflect physical damage is the one that gets me. Might be from my RoA hitting them all at once.

Thishttp://www.exilepro.comis a good place to find a build to start the game with and then once you get a hang of it , you can make your own killing machine. Game is fun , loving it again. Played in the closed beta way back , and just started up again and really enjoying it. The builds on that site are rather cool , check it out if you want a good starting point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I posted videos of that build, well my variation which is single arrow with prolif/chance to ignite spreading burns, but the build is pretty fun and very strong.
Is this similar to what you posted? I looked in the thread but couldn't find the video you posted.

Honestly that video makes the game look boring. Right now I'm just trying to find a fun looking but effective build.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I also watched a few freezing pulse vids, ex:
It seems like the guy only uses 4 abilities, the two totems, some AE debuff and his freezing pulse. That shit looks really basic, am I missing something?

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I also watched a few freezing pulse vids, ex:
It seems like the guy only uses 4 abilities, the two totems, some AE debuff and his freezing pulse. That shit looks really basic, am I missing something?
The game is really basic. The character planning and currency (sort-of) are the only things that are sorta complicated to a new player, but everything has been plotted for the most part already by other people.

EK (Ethereal Knives) > FP for raw dps. FP might be a decent choice to level with, because it's a little more defensive with frost/freeze.

If you start on hardcore I can give you some gems & misc gear.

In short, I stopped playing very much once I got to the end game of release, after playing quite a bit during CB. It's just grinding at the end game, with a tiny bit of variety (different map tile-sets) just like D3; the only redeeming part is the currency vs. gold / AH nonsense.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Once you know the game well, you can level to 30+ in a couple of hours, and 50 in a day.
30 in a couple hours, really? I must be missing some critical technique here. I'm lucky if I'm significantly out of act 1 by that time, and I'm not even especially close to 20. Care to fill in the apparently uninformed/noob/stupid on how that's done?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
30 in a couple hours, really? I must be missing some critical technique here. I'm lucky if I'm significantly out of act 1 by that time, and I'm not even especially close to 20. Care to fill in the apparently uninformed/noob/stupid on how that's done?
I'm not that fast, but I can make 40+ in a day. It helps when you've done it already a dozen times, and having a stash full of good leveling rares/uniques make a big difference too. You tend to race through some areas, grind in high mob density areas when you need to, etc. With the race season going on I'm sure there are guides around somewhere.