Path of Exile

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I totally understand what you guys are saying, but you are missing the biggest problem with the game for non-hardcore gamers.

It is entirely infeasible, through all operations in the game, to determine when just going with a 5L is fine and exactly which gems will be fine as well. For all but the most dedicated time-wise, any wandering off the beaten path of a build guide might as well be into nothing. This is not to say that it is impossible, it is to say that I am simply too bored and pissed-off to take the time and energy to do it. I'd rather just go do something else.

Like Vorph Vorph said, I like 95% of this game but that last 5% is just too painful right now. I mean, the fact that I have to read a build guide to figure out what the fuck a skill actually does and all the secrets behind it is a gigantic problem and the tool-tips are basically fucking worthless in that regard.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game for sure is not designed for casual game play and 10 hours a week of effort. It sounds like honestly this just isnt the right ARPG for some of you guys.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Take a break then, come back when you feel like that last 5% will be less painful. I can't count how many times I've rage quit this game in frustration only to be back later. That may not be the best way to learn, but it did get me to the point where I'm at now. For example, that realization on 5L and 6L might have actually come this league, maybe last. I was downing fusings on crab chests and getting mad. This league, I decided I will just save up the fusings and pay Vorici. Then, I realized that poe.ninja has currency prices and I could probably buy in exalts what I wanted cheaper than what it would cost in fusings.

So much of this game is third party websites and tools. I agree that too much of it obfuscated but at the same time, I don't know how to solve that without information overload.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can’t decide what to shape n run this league. Generally I liked to farm ilvl 82+ shaper/elder bases to make money but without an mf char it doesn’t seem like they are dropping enuf. What are the best t5-10 maps to shape right now?

Edit - I also get frustrated because the economy is outpacing the casual players ability to make currency right now. I’m not really sitting on that much more chaos than I usually do in league but because of ex prices I wasn’t able to buy any like I usually do. There’s gotta be a break point where ur better off chaos spamming shaped or elder based for selling rather than trying to buy ex with pure chaos. Just have to decide what to try n make , shaper stat sticks, quivers or something else

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been playing the game since beta, I gave up on the 5% changing long ago. Only real hope is Chris jumping ship post-Tencent.

And I've got somewhere in the 150-200 hour range in the league, is that not enough to graduate from "casual"?

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I change my haemophilias with other gloves for boss/single target just like the 2 other gems in my body armor. Sucks but I like the bleed explosions while mapping, especially doing incursions. Only change it for the higher end maps just like the gems. Otherwise it's normal gloves all the time. Only stuff that I think the boss fight might be "close". So as of right now tier 14 and up.

Alright, yeah that makes sense. I'm going to swap back to haemos for clearing and then use spiked gloves for bosses and such, thanks.

What is your 6L for clearing vs single target? As you saw I use: DS + Maim + Weapon Phys + Multistrike + Melee Splash + Ancestral Call for clearing. Single target I go: DS + Maim + Weapon Phys + Multistrike + Ruthless + Elemental Damage. Not sure about the ele damage as I can't think of another support I'd use other than maybe +damage on full life?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's less than 8 hours/day, you casual scrub.

IDK, you guys are probably right but I haven't had the same problems. In the thread for probably my favorite build so far(lw/arc pp), there's a guy that comes in every few pages and is like "no, you should play this". It's the same guy that payed to create Inpulsa's, so people listen to him. But the build is ridiculous, requiring Indigon, Watcher's Eye, and Zerphi's Last Breath.

The build looks clunky, putting two spells in one PP, and one spell in the other. But I don't doubt his claims that it can wreck bosses. But, rather than getting pissed that I can't play that build, I just don't get excited for it.

For you, Vorph Vorph , if a build requires a 25ex item, I just won't play that build. Is it shitty that the economy is walling off builds from most players? Fuck yes! How many builds are affected in such a manner? I'm fine with some builds creme de la creme, and I will never experience them. But it has to be a few. That balance is very important.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Alright, yeah that makes sense. I'm going to swap back to haemos for clearing and then use spiked gloves for bosses and such, thanks.

What is your 6L for clearing vs single target? As you saw I use: DS + Maim + Weapon Phys + Multistrike + Melee Splash + Ancestral Call for clearing. Single target I go: DS + Maim + Weapon Phys + Multistrike + Ruthless + Elemental Damage. Not sure about the ele damage as I can't think of another support I'd use other than maybe +damage on full life?
Tombfists for bosses, unless you really need those gem slots.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I totally understand what you guys are saying, but you are missing the biggest problem with the game for non-hardcore gamers.

It is entirely infeasible, through all operations in the game, to determine when just going with a 5L is fine and exactly which gems will be fine as well. For all but the most dedicated time-wise, any wandering off the beaten path of a build guide might as well be into nothing. This is not to say that it is impossible, it is to say that I am simply too bored and pissed-off to take the time and energy to do it. I'd rather just go do something else.

Like Vorph Vorph said, I like 95% of this game but that last 5% is just too painful right now. I mean, the fact that I have to read a build guide to figure out what the fuck a skill actually does and all the secrets behind it is a gigantic problem and the tool-tips are basically fucking worthless in that regard.
Generally speaking, figuring 5L/6L concern is pretty easy with path of building. You can just input all the shit and it'll spit out the stats and you can compare how much damage you get with the various things. The 6th link is mostly going to be a ~30% more modifier support anyway, so you can assume that's what it is, 30% more damage. So you can compare for example a basic 6L like a tabula(which even early in the league is pretty cheap and is one of the few uniques you can actually farm yourself by farming Humility cards before doing maps) versus a good unique 5L by comparing what the unique gives you. For stuff like inpulsa, the power gains are hard to quantify directly, but general clear speed QoL is going to be better than just a raw 30% damage in pretty much every case. This sort of additional damage only becomes relevant in later maps imo too, with all the power creep over the years, any basic build with merc lab can generally do until late yellow maps with a 5L, hell even a 4L pretty often and some cheap unique weapons if it's an attack build.

But yeah you have to rely on 3rd party stuff a lot to figure out things. The wiki is near vital to figure out mechanics, PoB is way too useful to compare gear upgrades since you can compare gear you don't have AND the tooltips are actually non retarded(unless using minions, then it's pretty fucked too). And obviously you need poe ninja+trade sites to figure out the value of things to compare upgrades based on their value. A 5ex jewel will only give you a marginal upgrade over getting some specific unique for your build for example.

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Tombfists for bosses, unless you really need those gem slots.

Tombfists are a good idea, the only gems in my gloves are for leap slam or whirling blades. I could get rid of ancestral warchief as i only pop him for bosses/ST and have movement skill/support in boots.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For you, Vorph Vorph , if a build requires a 25ex item, I just won't play that build. Is it shitty that the economy is walling off builds from most players? Fuck yes! How many builds are affected in such a manner? I'm fine with some builds creme de la creme, and I will never experience them. But it has to be a few. That balance is very important.
That's the thing though. I feel I put FAR more than enough time into the game such that something like Atziri's Reflection shouldn't be out of my reach, yet someone who by my definition of the word doesn't even really play the game can have a dozen of them because he sits there all day exploiting the shit economy.

Hell, I'm not even saying I should have a Headhunter and a Rigwald's quiver and a Watcher's Eye that hit the perfect 1:57000 or whatever it is trifecta and the other stuff people would consider 'creme de la creme'. I'd have settled for just one of those things in close to 200 hours even if that's still bullshit compared to flippers. And a lab enchant. I'm pretty salty about that at this point too. Never got a single one even worth trying to sell, and ~2 weeks of running live search never had a single hit on a 3-ball Vertex.

I did make one mistake starting out though; I thought that the shield was actually farmable and didn't realize it was pure RNG faggotry to get a prophecy that's ungodly more rare than even Fated Connections. That said, it's also not really required to make the build work, I just get bored out of mind if I know I'm playing something with literally zero hope for further progression beyond a couple more skill points.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shaper down bois!!!! I have upgraded myself from pleb to semi-pleb.

Would've deathless'd it too if I hadn't gotten 1shot by the second of the mini bosses half circle FB spam (he was in the forest map and I whirling blades right into him before I even knew what happened).

Can still make some relatively cheap (1 ex jewels) upgrades on this BV to squeeze out some easy extra damage, plus I can respec into phase acrobatics which takes me through a bunch of global phys nodes that will most definitely increase my damage for bosses I just have to sacrifice duration nodes. I'm thinking Uber Elder isn't out of the realm of possibility. Plus I think BV damage enchants aren't too bad compared to duration. Might look into that.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also to chime in on the things said previously. I love that there are "God tier" items. Will I ever see a Headhunter? Probably not. But I love that there is an item like that out there. Vanilla WOW had that, BDO had that, D2 to some extent had that. There are certain items that are mystical and some that are even fabled (still waiting for the video of somebody losing their Legacy Kaoms to Corruption chamber).

Although I do think a lot of the complaints about the curve for casual are completely legit. I don't think that the solution is to lower the curve, but straighten it out. Just recently I got a WR and have building my MF mapping char. I think the system is great that you can comfortably target certain maps and go endless or at least near endless on them. However it isn't intuitive at all. Orb of Horizons should be base line and there should be additional recipes to target maps. Red maps need to be more rewarding and ping ponging elder/shaper probably needs to be toned down a bit in some way.

Masters also need a huge overall.

Somebody said that crafting needs to be more accessible and I agree. Once again, I don't think we should lower the curve here, just straighten it out. Maybe Orb of Annulment should be a more common drop? Just thinking shit off the top of my head.

Economy changes would be nice, but it's honestly something I can live without. I just don't know of any solution that doesn't include some sort of automated store/AH.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Single target -
Double Strike
Maim
Physical Damage
Ruthless
Multistrike
Increased Critical Strikes

Multi taget -
Double Strike
Maim
Physical Damage
Ancesteral Call
Melee Splash
Increased Critical Strikes

I put your sword into my build in PoB, single target dps came within a very few dps and multi target was a bit lower. I keep looking but even at 1ex or more I can't beat the cheap ass Dreadbeak for pure dps lol. This so far has been an incredibly cheap build. Probably one of the cheapest I've done. I've done up to T15 maps, only need the guardians. Haven't done elder/shaper obviously. I'm incredibly lazy when shopping. Most of my gear was bought based on resist to plug holes and life. Then if something else fit and was relatively cheap I grabbed it heh. Oddly enough I have more Ex one month into league than any other time. 5ex in the bank trying to decide what to buy.

PoB - configuration - bleeding, taunted, intimidated, only stuff checked all stuff that comes auto from the ascendancy except bleeding which is 50% with gloves, 25% without. Effective dps.

5,830 life. Crap jewels I think I paid 25c for one, the other 2 maybe 10c and the 3rd I got from my elementalist that has staff stuff on it.

I played around in PoB switching out critical with elemental and other stuff and it came out ahead each time.

Single target DPS - 1,454,373
Multi target/clear - 680,540

Crit 78%
Multi is kinda low 3.77

Bleed 25/50%
Poison 20%
Accuracy 100%
Ignite 78%
Chance to Freeze 78%

If you did the Mathil build at one point he updated it and I downloaded it from his character deal in PoB. Kind of helped. I need a bunch of upgrades. Still using a chest piece with 95life and +chaos resist and that's it. Other than a 50c stat stick no other item cost more than 5-10c. I think I paid 3c for the sword. Oh and Taste of Hate which I looted before I started this build.

According to Mathil it's all about attack speed. I think he's at 11attacks per second on his build, I'm at 7ish. I have more dps than he does but he has more tank.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Also to chime in on the things said previously. I love that there are "God tier" items. Will I ever see a Headhunter? Probably not. But I love that there is an item like that out there. Vanilla WOW had that, BDO had that, D2 to some extent had that. There are certain items that are mystical and some that are even fabled (still waiting for the video of somebody losing their Legacy Kaoms to Corruption chamber).

You might be waiting a while for that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone know how Flicker Strike and Multistrike interacts with frenzy charges generated by hits? For example, I know if you crit your Flicker Strike while wielding a Terminus Est, you only get 1 frenzy charge. But I'm somewhat certain that restriction is only for crits.

Borzak

I'm not holding out any hope for a headhunter, or a mirror heh. Feel pretty lucky I got a bisco's and a windripper in back to back days. League downhill ever since. But at least now I look up my prophecies on poe.ninja to see how much hey are worth instead of just having them now. Pretty lucky I ever got the windripper, didn't know I had the prophecy till it dropped.

But if I got a headhunter I'm not sure what I would even do with it other than sell it.

Anyone have a suggestion for a spell oriented build that clears faster than the double strike champion? I have a 87 elementalist that would need some rework so possibly something there I can work with. It was a self cast arc league starter which has really topped out now.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Does Damage on Full Life not calculate properly in PoB? I can't get it to calculate a difference on Barrage when I have it enabled or not. I'm trying to find the DPS difference between a 5L QotF and a 6L.

Also, I'm starting to get tired of my Tornado Shot build. It's stuck somewhere between a "decent" bosskiller and a "decent" mapper, but it isn't really all that great at either one. What's the most faceroll build currently? Is it still RoF? My goal is to be able to map while not having to pay much attention so that I can catch up on some TV shows.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think everything in this game is achievable by anyone that plays a decent amount. You just need a solid plan and commit to it 110%. You want a headhunter? MF the fuck out of burial chambers. Kill shaper? Make a boss killer and aim for atlas progression ASAP(this is the route I went, I managed to go from league start to uber elder down in 7 days). Want to just make lots of money? MF other maps or make a good lab runner. I think a lot of peeps are trying to find a char/build that does everything. No, your arc trapper with 0 quant gear isn't going to find the Doctor cause you've ran 40 burial chambers over the last few days.

Anyone have a suggestion for a spell oriented build that clears faster than the double strike champion? I have a 87 elementalist that would need some rework so possibly something there I can work with. It was a self cast arc league starter which has really topped out now.

Deathwing's Poet's Pen Arc/LW is pretty fast at clearing maps.

Borzak

Does Damage on Full Life not calculate properly in PoB? I can't get it to calculate a difference on Barrage when I have it enabled or not. I'm trying to find the DPS difference between a 5L QotF and a 6L.

Also, I'm starting to get tired of my Tornado Shot build. It's stuck somewhere between a "decent" bosskiller and a "decent" mapper, but it isn't really all that great at either one. What's the most faceroll build currently? Is it still RoF? My goal is to be able to map while not having to pay much attention so that I can catch up on some TV shows.

On the configuration page check "always at full life" to get it figure in. Just like the always on low life would add a tremendous amount of dps on my build, but I'm not that brave.

You broke it, just did it and it's not changing. I did it earlier in the week and it worked. Just updated it a few days ago and I guess it's broken now.

Odd, if I check "have adrenaline" it figures the dps right. But if I click always low life which triggers my adrenaline it doesn't change. It worked correctly a few days ago when I was playing around with it.

Last edited: