Path of Exile

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Until level 90 I ran anything on the atlas and focused on spawning Uber Elder for the orb ASAP. Once I killed about 12 guardians and Uber Elder 4x to get some crafting bases I deleted all all T11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 besides the shaped maps. (UGS 11, Dune 12, Armoury 13, Waste Pool 14, Belfry 15). Mostly to sell the shaped maps to be able to afford level 97+. I kept this Atlas until 99.

At 99 I completed every red map again except this time no T15s. I deleted all completion of guardians so my default T16 is Underground Sea and my only T15 is Belfry. My atlas % is something like 148 now with the rework at 99. Basically I compelted all the red maps on the Atlas to get the % boost on T16's.

The hardest part honestly though is not dying at 98+ especially with maps with 40% pack size and quant. At 98 i completely stop doing sextants with +physical mobs or 30 dangerous barrels just in case they are the bearer type mobs. Even mitigating as much danger as I can and swapping heralds for purities at 99 I still died twice yesterday. I think at 98 I died a minimum of 7 times.

This post blew my tiny little mind. I never knew the currency and commitment going to 100 took. I mean I knew it was an insane grind, but yea. That's crazy.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This post blew my tiny little mind. I never knew the currency and commitment going to 100 took. I mean I knew it was an insane grind, but yea. That's crazy.
The truly insane part is where he said xp should be nerfed another 25%.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is Underground Sea the go to map for exp? I kinda prefer haunted mansion but I never changed my atlas to farm them non-stop. I probably will this league.

Vorph

It's a map for builds that can move really fast imo. There's dead ends that you need to backtrack out of all over the edges of the map; they may be short but over the course of the entire thing it still adds up. Lots of ledges in the middle too, so if you're using Shield Charge or Whirling Blades to move around, you'd better have something like Leap Slam or Lightning Warp as a backup or it gets real annoying.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Most people I see doing this shit have headhunters and are like 40meters high by the end, moving at 400% speed or whatever so yeah I guess it doesn't matter too much then but it was a pain in the dick to navigate when I did it for completion, and shield charge gets stuck literally every other use into some pebbles, stalagmytes, corners and whatever other shit. But I guess small closed maps have better density from when they rebalanced maps so that's the kind of map you'd be looking for. Still think it might be more efficient to do more open maps depending on your build, even if the map themselves are worse, by just completing them faster. Might be harder to sustain though.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've been messing around with the Apep Flicker Strike build that was posted a few pages back. Fun build, but still level 70 so haven't put it to the grinder at all yet.

I really don't like the way that player uses Blade Vortex - Curse On Hit to apply to curses mana reservation free. Maintaining a non-duration enhanced Blade Vortex is fucking annoying. Even at 10s, bleh. I was thinking of dropping Purity of Elements(I suspect he had it only because of the watcher's eye, which I'm not sure I'll ever get), and getting an enlighten and mana reservation reduction passives. Leaves me with 15% mana on a skill that usually mana hungry, so I'm not sure it will work. Any other ideas?

Also, I'm not sure why he's using a Voidheart. I mean, I know why he specifically needs it, to get a bleed. But why occupy a ring slot with such a shitty ring when you can use Chance to Bleed Support, which is a minor dps downgrade at best, that a good ring will more than make up for on top of gear flexibility?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
All servers went down for half an hour this morning.

Exalts up to 170c now, crazy. 155 on standard.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is Underground Sea the go to map for exp? I kinda prefer haunted mansion but I never changed my atlas to farm them non-stop. I probably will this league.

IMO its preference, for me I keep my elder bubble in the NW section of the Atlas so there is always influence @Belfry, UGS, Waste Pool, Armoury. After every round of sextants (3 maps) ill check the influence circle and move to another shaped or trim the Elders area to keep it tight in that section. Its super easy to keep perm influence now.

Most people I see doing this shit have headhunters and are like 40meters high by the end, moving at 400% speed or whatever so yeah I guess it doesn't matter too much then but it was a pain in the dick to navigate when I did it for completion, and shield charge gets stuck literally every other use into some pebbles, stalagmytes, corners and whatever other shit. But I guess small closed maps have better density from when they rebalanced maps so that's the kind of map you'd be looking for. Still think it might be more efficient to do more open maps depending on your build, even if the map themselves are worse, by just completing them faster. Might be harder to sustain though.

What it really depends on is what skill you are using. I don't need to goto every dead end because im CoC Arc so my skill goes around corners and with 11 chains sometimes goes 2+ screens away. Same thing with Wanders and Ele Hit they blast from very far as well. Its the density + indoor + double beyond people are after in such a tight space.

Also someone said Zerphis heart was bad here. After using it I am thinking they are going to make it legacy, that thing is broken beyond belief and i've only seen a couple of uses. Who knows what kind of hidden builds people are doing with it privately but there is no way they let that exist normally.

Vorph

Exalts up to 170c now, crazy. 155 on standard.
Yeah, and despite that Atziri's Reflection has gone up 40+% and the prophecy for getting your own 60+%. Good Watcher's Eyes have done the same. I've had a search running the whole time for The Vertex with 3 MS balls too, and haven't had a single hit there either. I managed to save up 10 exa since starting this character and I'm further away from buying the endgame items than when I started.

Good league mechanics-wise, but the PLAYER INTERACTION has once again ruined it. It's not just the gear, every experience I've had buying maps or currency has been vastly worse than any previous league.

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yeah, and despite that Atziri's Reflection has gone up 40+% and the prophecy for getting your own 60+%. Good Watcher's Eyes have done the same. I've had a search running the whole time for The Vertex with 3 MS balls too, and haven't had a single hit there either. I managed to save up 10 exa since starting this character and I'm further away from buying the endgame items than when I started.

Good league mechanics-wise, but the PLAYER INTERACTION has once again ruined it. It's not just the gear, every experience I've had buying maps or currency has been vastly worse than any previous league.

I wish they would make SSF specific changes so that it was less of a pain in the dick to get uniques to carry you to end game. I would vastly prefer playing alone, finding my own stuff, and crafting the shit out of gear with my currency rather than deal with trade league that only favors people who play 12+ hours a day every day from league start.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I thought about trying SSF. But the thought of just having to go with what you find kinda doesn't appeal. Might get a fantastic item early and be for a build you really don't want to play.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
GGG always talking about the economy and shit so I guess they'll be taking notes on this league's economy being super fucked especially for casual players. I don't know if it's just the Zana mods being shit that made chaos being complete garbage this league but it's pretty bad. I guess the temple also removes a bunch of items from the economy constantly by having people buy them up to double corrupt and have them go poof. I mean people always tried to corrupt shit, but probably not to this extent, now everybody's a corruption "crafter", run the temple, get that room in it, time to buy some good unique to throw in it and try to get big money. Before most people didn't bother with vaaling 6L uniques and shit.

I wonder if they're going to focus on the economy next expansion or what they're doing. They've already reworked the leveling and while it could use some trimming a bit maybe, it's in a pretty good spot overall and I don't feel they want to add more acts, and they just redid the mapping shit and it feels in a pretty alright spot now(no more sextant blocking shenanigans so the optimal atlas stuff is pretty easily done by any casual player and there's a few ways to go about it too, even just unlocking everything and doing random shit works fine). Side progression systems are already pretty saturated with pantheon and labyrinth and endgame fights are in a pretty good spot too now with uber atziri/shaper/red elder/uber elder. Doesn't leave all that much to work on, it seems they have some pvp reworks coming in 3.4 but I don't think you do an expansion on PvP.

Meanwhile people bitching about not being able to buy shit efficiently is the #1 complaint on reddit all the time it seems. While I can see a full blown AH being a potential problem for the game, that's debatable with how easy it is already to setup sales with a premium tab and the websites, and the situation of "your rares aren't worth enough if there's too many people selling" is already hapening where most rares don't even sell for a chaos unless they have high life and 2 resists and one useful other stats. Meanwhile buying common shit like fucking currency or white maps is a huge pain in the dick, especially if you're not looking into buying huge amounts but just a few. At the very least, an AH that accepts only items without modifiers(white items, currency, unid uniques maybe too?) would be pretty useful in relieving some of the stress of trading and would make map sustain less of a concern for casuals probably(people wouldn't mind listing all their low tier white maps if they didn't have to go back to their HO for a 2fusing sale and getting hundreds of tells per minute).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Ok, I have a temple with level 3 sacrificial chamber and level 3 double gem corrupter. What do I bring for the fortune hunting?

LiquidDeath

GGG always talking about the economy and shit so I guess they'll be taking notes on this league's economy being super fucked especially for casual players. I don't know if it's just the Zana mods being shit that made chaos being complete garbage this league but it's pretty bad. I guess the temple also removes a bunch of items from the economy constantly by having people buy them up to double corrupt and have them go poof. I mean people always tried to corrupt shit, but probably not to this extent, now everybody's a corruption "crafter", run the temple, get that room in it, time to buy some good unique to throw in it and try to get big money. Before most people didn't bother with vaaling 6L uniques and shit.

I wonder if they're going to focus on the economy next expansion or what they're doing. They've already reworked the leveling and while it could use some trimming a bit maybe, it's in a pretty good spot overall and I don't feel they want to add more acts, and they just redid the mapping shit and it feels in a pretty alright spot now(no more sextant blocking shenanigans so the optimal atlas stuff is pretty easily done by any casual player and there's a few ways to go about it too, even just unlocking everything and doing random shit works fine). Side progression systems are already pretty saturated with pantheon and labyrinth and endgame fights are in a pretty good spot too now with uber atziri/shaper/red elder/uber elder. Doesn't leave all that much to work on, it seems they have some pvp reworks coming in 3.4 but I don't think you do an expansion on PvP.

Meanwhile people bitching about not being able to buy shit efficiently is the #1 complaint on reddit all the time it seems. While I can see a full blown AH being a potential problem for the game, that's debatable with how easy it is already to setup sales with a premium tab and the websites, and the situation of "your rares aren't worth enough if there's too many people selling" is already hapening where most rares don't even sell for a chaos unless they have high life and 2 resists and one useful other stats. Meanwhile buying common shit like fucking currency or white maps is a huge pain in the dick, especially if you're not looking into buying huge amounts but just a few. At the very least, an AH that accepts only items without modifiers(white items, currency, unid uniques maybe too?) would be pretty useful in relieving some of the stress of trading and would make map sustain less of a concern for casuals probably(people wouldn't mind listing all their low tier white maps if they didn't have to go back to their HO for a 2fusing sale and getting hundreds of tells per minute).

Or they could make crafting more consistently rewarding instead of 99.99% shit and .01% jackpot?

Or they could make crafting recipes for more leveling/start of map uniques?

Or they could make farmable uniques that didn't take 50+ hours of farming?

I feel like there are a lot of solutions to the problem, but they are a lot like Blizzard of old with WoW. They spend too much time focusing the game around the players that play all the time when they are going to be constantly re-rolling, re-leveling, and farming anyways. Shit, put an ultra-HC mode in for them or something so that streamers have a super challenge. They are just actively fucking over the non-full time players at this point.

Case in point this league is loads better than bestiary, but I stopped playing already without ever making it out of starting maps. I tried a new build, it sucked and then I leveled a second build but by that point everything was too expensive to buy so I would need to hit the jackpot or farm constantly on characters that aren't really able to farm. I'd love to play more of this league, but it is super unfriendly to all but those who invest a shitload of time.

• 1Like

Vorph

I wouldn't say atlas is all that great at the moment. Sextant blocking was dumb simply because you drop somewhere between a tenth and a quarter of the amount you needed to use. Even nerfed I still highly doubt anyone is coming close to sustaining them without hitting the market. The only thing that really changed is that the up-front cost of setting up the block is now gone; you still use roughly the same amount while doing maps (probably more actually since you can't block the shitty mods anymore and will have to spend extra sextants getting rid of them). They're optional [until you actually play the game with them and see the difference it makes], but they drop so infrequently that serious players hang onto all of theirs and casuals who don't care about them only have a couple to sell at a time. I don't know how Korrupt does it, but I wasted a lot of time every day back in Harbinger trying to buy the damn things.

The real problem though is that shaped maps shit all over the vast majority of reds, and elder maps are even more ridiculous. It's fine if each player has maps they don't like and want to avoid having them drop, but it's another thing entirely when the best strategy is to make practically NONE of them drop. If people complained about it, they'd probably just make shaped/elder maps worse and leave reds and especially their retarded bosses the way they are.

They spend too much time focusing the game around the players that play all the time
I have never understood this mentality in game design, and I don't think I've ever seen a company embrace it to the extent that GGG does. The game is balanced around the 0.001% who 'play' 16 hours a day, aside from stash stuff the MTX shop is set up purely to draw in whales, and SSF is a sick joke because as bad as PLAYER INTERACTION is it's far worse still without it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Oh, I remember the days when Blizzard tried to balance end game around hard core raiding. It was only when they made all of it casual as fuck and accessible to everyone, while still including a set of challenges for the 1% to test themselves against, that it reached its heyday. The biggest revelation was that the hardcore are always going to churn content faster then you can make it, so it is a fool's errand to design around them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think there's obviously some improvements to be done to everything, but I don't think they'll go "lul expansion is about reworking maps, again". I think they can fix a lot of issues by just raising drop chances of sextants/adding some recipe to convert low level maps into sextants or some shit like that. Maybe also limited sextant overlapping but increasing their power in return? I find it a bit weird that finding maps that can be affected by 3 or 4 sextants is so important and some maps just get fucked due to bad placement on the atlas. And they definitely need to rework red maps, I mentionned that before I think. Especially the ones with retarded bosses, and most red maps have the most retarded bosses, like the full phases motherfuckers instead of "a random rogue exile disguised as a boss" and "a bigger version of a normal mob that maybe has one skill that it usually doesn't have". But I think that's the kind of thing they can slap onto any patch and be fine.

Similarily, I think leveling could use some streamlining potentially. Plenty of side systems could use some reworks too, pantheon feels a bit meh, they need a lot more gods in there, labyrinth is still a pain in the ass to run for enchants imo and I rarely want to bother running shit that takes a while and has a potential risk of killing you if you lag(more than usual I mean) just so I have a 1/225 chance of getting something good out of it. Masters are an outdated system that feels in dire need of reworking, they keep buffing them every few patches and granted it's not that bad to get to 7 nowadays for the most part, but the fact you still have to rely on rotations and some of the missions are still retarded(half of Catarina involves backtracking a stupid amount and half of Vorici is a pain in the ass for most builds) feels bad and pointless, and getting to 8 is still super retarded so most people have to rely on master services, which just opens the way for scammers and that sweet "player interaction". Oh and having pve crafts on fucking Leo. Luckily it's mostly Leo 3, but come the fuck on.

Divination cards should get a look at too. I get that Headhunter cards should be super rare because it's a headhunter, but it makes very little sense for so many of these cards to be as rare as they are, and many people don't bother target farming cards other than for selling them for money(in which cases only a handful of cards are worth farming) when the whole idea behind them was to offer target farming. Too many cards give random shit, and too many cards only drop in 1 or 2 maps, which conflicts heavily with the concept of farming whatever in the atlas, you can't target farm cards because you can't target farm the maps they drop in unless you setup your atlas to do just that.

It's just expansions tend to have larger specific goals I think, and I don't feel any of these systems on their own would be worth an expansion, while trading would. On the flipside, I guess they could do a "Renewal" expansion that works on all the old systems. Kinda like the vaal skill patch we got this patch, but for multiple things. That'd work too I guess.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I look at the obvious fake posts for items or currency, scroll down 1/2 a page or even a whole page and buy from people really selling for 1 chaos more. I think I must be the only person in the game or this forum who has figured this out and has barely any problems buying anything.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I look at the obvious fake posts for items or currency, scroll down 1/2 a page or even a whole page and buy from people really selling for 1 chaos more. I think I must be the only person in the game or this forum who has figured this out and has barely any problems buying anything.

this, honestly the only thing that's an asspain is buying maps. everythign else is easy peezy