Path of Exile

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How are you crafting your maps?

EDIT: I should also mention with Incurssion coming back temples should be a nice source of T15/16 maps.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Map sustain shouldn't be an issue. With all the currency you'll be getting from delve/incursion you can buy t15/16's. It's possible to sustain making sure you constantly use sextants/etc but that's too much effort for me. I'd rather just alc and go.

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is the early game in this just really hard to get into or is it just me? I keep hearing that the end game is great, but making it through the first few acts has been a slog.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Map sustain shouldn't be an issue. With all the currency you'll be getting from delve/incursion you can buy t15/16's. It's possible to sustain making sure you constantly use sextants/etc but that's too much effort for me. I'd rather just alc and go.

The problem that zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk has, and that I have experienced also, is that buying maps is not sustaining and it is a pain in the fucking ass when you cannot reliably get even 1 map to drop that is +/- 1 tier from your current map once you get into reds if you just alch and go. I am not complaining or even saying that it is a deal breaker, but if they tweaked their formula to have a greater than 50% chance to drop the first same tier map every time you went mapping then it would help a ton. That or have Zana offer 1 red map a day or have her daily be equal to the highest tier (white, yellow, red) that you have completed. At least then it wouldn't be like punching yourself in the dick when you run 10 red maps and get back 2 reds and a fuck ton of yellows.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is the early game in this just really hard to get into or is it just me? I keep hearing that the end game is great, but making it through the first few acts has been a slog.

It gets better when you can link more supports, but your base skill alone can make a huge difference early game, so try a few different ones and find something you enjoy playing.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

As cliche as it is, you honestly just need to stick with it. I've staunchly bashed the game for it's "beginner" experience. It was frustrating enough that I had sworn off the game after attempting to "get into" it 3-4 separate times. I'm honestly glad that I eventually endured sometime shortly after Bestiary league, because the game is insanely fun/rewarding once you tough through the beginning portions.

I'm not sure if you're a Diablo 3/ARPG player(I was), but if you are, understand that this game takes a lot of research to understand all the different mechanics and how they interact. I know that sounds stupid or way too steep of an entry cost(believe me, I had that exact same feeling - "Why the fuck should I have to do 20 hours of research/YouTube watching before playing a damn ARPG!?"). Just do yourself a favor and watch/listen to some beginner tips/tricks videos on YouTube while cooking, driving, traveling, etc. Trust me, it's worth it.

The largest thing that caused it all to "click" for me was coming to the realization that your "final" build is something you often won't have set until you're already done with Act 10(sometimes even later). There's all sorts of leveling skills and items which interact that make the leveling/story process a million times more intuitive. Once I understood how all those "beginner" skills/items interacted with each other, getting to the part of the game that's so deep/fun was a breeze.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem that zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk has, and that I have experienced also, is that buying maps is not sustaining and it is a pain in the fucking ass when you cannot reliably get even 1 map to drop that is +/- 1 tier from your current map once you get into reds if you just alch and go. I am not complaining or even saying that it is a deal breaker, but if they tweaked their formula to have a greater than 50% chance to drop the first same tier map every time you went mapping then it would help a ton. That or have Zana offer 1 red map a day or have her daily be equal to the highest tier (white, yellow, red) that you have completed. At least then it wouldn't be like punching yourself in the dick when you run 10 red maps and get back 2 reds and a fuck ton of yellows.

I totally agree. While I get that T15-16 maps are supposed to be rare "end game" items, dropping 15-20C on a map that takes only 3-5 minutes to run to sustain just doesn't feel good and is not fun. On the other hand with Delve/Incursions and general power creep currency is flowing free-er than ever so it's definitely much more palatable now. Prior to Delve, it must have been a major pain in the ass on how SSF players could even sustain higher tier maps.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I totally agree. While I get that T15-16 maps are supposed to be rare "end game" items, dropping 15-20C on a map that takes only 3-5 minutes to run to sustain just doesn't feel good and is not fun. On the other hand with Delve/Incursions and general power creep currency is flowing free-er than ever so it's definitely much more palatable now. Prior to Delve, it must have been a major pain in the ass on how SSF players could even sustain higher tier maps.
The expansion before that Incursion had a fuckton of maps too in the temple shit.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Agreed, but buying and selling maps cannot count as 'sustain' when it takes a ton of time to just go and search, then message, then party, then trade, then alch, then run. That is just a pain.

The expansion before that Incursion had a fuckton of maps too in the temple shit.

I agree, but to get the red maps to drop in temple you have to have a red level map Incursion to set the temple level; which means that if she offers red level incursions as daily quests then we are good, but if we just have to find her in red maps we have the Zana issue all over again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Agreed, but buying and selling maps cannot count as 'sustain' when it takes a ton of time to just go and search, then message, then party, then trade, then alch, then run. That is just a pain.

I agree, but to get the red maps to drop in temple you have to have a red level map Incursion to set the temple level; which means that if she offers red level incursions as daily quests then we are good, but if we just have to find her in red maps we have the Zana issue all over again.
Was just referring to the part about SSF and prior to Delve, was more like prior to Incursion. On the actual changes for next patch, we'll see how it goes, I don't expect miracles for high tier maps unless they change their philosophy though, they've been pretty set on making sure people can run red maps only overall, but T15-16 still being rare-ish so you can't sustain running only them, at least without trading for them(in which case it's pretty easy to sustain if you sell currency and shit constantly).

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys aren't going to sustain T16's easily unless you are doing influence + sextants + fragments + 100%/30% rolling your maps + shaping your atlas. If you do those things though not only will you sustain them you'll fill a quad tab of them weekly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I don't really chisel until I hit T14s with T16s unlocked, usually have around a hundred chisels when I get to that point just from picking them up throughout the game. You really need to spend a buttload of cash to sustain T16s, so if that's a goal you need to prepare accordingly by not having a character that dies all the time when running various mods, and enough currency to burn to reroll/chisel/sextant all of them.

• 1Like

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I don't really chisel until I hit T14s with T16s unlocked, usually have around a hundred chisels when I get to that point just from picking them up throughout the game. You really need to spend a buttload of cash to sustain T16s, so if that's a goal you need to prepare accordingly by not having a character that dies all the time when running various mods, and enough currency to burn to reroll/chisel/sextant all of them.

Exactly, I basically spend 1-98 new leagues just saving to run T15's into T16's. When you die at 98/99 it can easily cost you a thousand chaos.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Maps that have master missions will be indicated on the atlas with 3.5. With the new zana mods getting a t16 temple shouldn't be too bad.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
You guys aren't going to sustain T16's easily unless you are doing influence + sextants + fragments + 100%/30% rolling your maps + shaping your atlas. If you do those things though not only will you sustain them you'll fill a quad tab of them weekly.

I don't think any of us are talking about sustaining on 15s or 16s; we are talking about sustaining on reds in general. It is crazy how many times I will buy a dozen or so 14s and 13s and end up with fifty 8-10s and maybe a few 11s.

• 1Like

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think any of us are talking about sustaining on 15s or 16s; we are talking about sustaining on reds in general. It is crazy how many times I will buy a dozen or so 14s and 13s and end up with fifty 8-10s and maybe a few 11s.

Even basic red maps If you're doing over 100% quantity rolls w/ or w/o Zana you shouldnt be running into that problem. If you're talking about only running 40-50 maps which is a drop of water in a bucket also then you might be getting skewed results.

With Delve and the Zana mods no one should ever run out of red maps unless they are just totally new to the game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didn't find this league bad at all for sustain, and I barely got any maps from delving.

I bought a lot of reds to complete my atlas and, like all map trading it was fucking awful. I managed to finally find a couple people willing to sell 10-15 individual maps in bulk and got it over with though.

Once I had the atlas essentially complete I sustained reds easily just with alch & go (best part of mapping with agony/duo is there isn't a single map affix you can't do easily) and maybe some chisels if it was a map I like. T15-16 I made an effort to roll well, and they were still really annoying because you end up with lots of guardian maps and not that many elders, which means you're back to glorious PLAYER INTERACTION to get rid of the guardians and buy more EUGS.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends on build, and also you can roll the absolute worst mods ever on them once elder guardians are there to replace the normal ones. I was mostly talking about running elder maps and guardian maps being an inconvenience because they are bad xp no matter what you do though. I only run guardians when I absolutely have to.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Depends on build, and also you can roll the absolute worst mods ever on them once elder guardians are there to replace the normal ones. I was mostly talking about running elder maps and guardian maps being an inconvenience because they are bad xp no matter what you do though. I only run guardians when I absolutely have to.

you didn't scrub the guardian maps from your atlas to remove them from your drop pool?