Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
In Synthesis, we performed an extensive rebalance of Spellcasting throughout Path of Exile. A lot of this work focused on a numerical rebalance of most skills.

We have indicated that the June 3.7.0 expansion contains a similar rebalance of Melee skills, and while we certainly do intend to numerically adjust them to make sure they're viable, the actual scope of Melee changes planned is a lot larger than we have indicated so far.

Players from other Action RPGs have occasionally criticised Path of Exile's melee combat for being "clunky", especially early on before players get a lot of attack speed. We are making various experimental changes to the animation system that should help resolve these concerns and really tighten up the feel of melee combat.

In addition to animation system improvements and melee skill rebalances, we are experimenting with changes to systems such as accuracy, melee splash, leech, fortify, various Ascendancy classes, the passive tree, hit/miss feedback, melee base types, movement skills and melee damage availability on items.

This post has been intentionally light on specific details because all of the above potential changes are ongoing experiments that evolve as we try new stuff. We'll post more information in the news over the coming weeks (with the majority of it after 3.7.0's announcement in May). We are very excited about these changes and look forward to sharing more information with you.

tl;dr: hnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggh
I'm hoping that the hype train is already starting for race events and 3.7 means all of 3.6 will be forgotten.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In addition to animation system improvements and melee skill rebalances, we are experimenting with changes to systems such as accuracy, melee splash, leech, fortify, various Ascendancy classes, the passive tree, hit/miss feedback, melee base types, movement skills and melee damage availability on items.

Seriously why is accuracy still in the game? More importantly, why do spells completely bypass it? It's been the dumbest shit I can think of in the core mechanics of combat of this game.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Seriously why is accuracy still in the game? More importantly, why do spells completely bypass it? It's been the dumbest shit I can think of in the core mechanics of combat of this game.

Yeah accuracy should just be removed and everything should hit. It just adds to the overcomplication of what should be the simplest playstyle.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There was a reddit post yesterday about this on the front page, like how they shouldn't just tweak numbers for melee skills but look in depth into the melee mechanics and how a lot of this shit feels bad, so it's nice they are actually looking into it.

Honestly, besides a few really bad melee skills, most of it is fairly ok if they just fix a bunch of core melee issues, like name locking and missing. They should really just delete or rework entirely some of their older melee skills though. Heavy Strike, Glacial Strike, Sweep and such are so fucking bad from a pure design point of view, they were mostly bad even back in beta(sweep was ok early on, although ground slam was generally better) and the game has changed so much they're not up to date at all. Even "ok" skills from the past like lightning strike suffers a ton from comparison to new stuff. Like yeah you can technically range with it, but it's so much worse than frost blades for most purposes, due to the lightning being ground projectiles so they get cancelled by every little rock and shit, while the damage is less than good.

Considering what the past few leagues have shown, they really shouldn't be affraid to fuck it up and overbuff melee and make some shit OP. There's been OP shit for months/years now, every fucking time. You see builds killing Shaper from full hp in under 3seconds and doing Uber Elder in under 3mins(with all the summoning phases shit which take most of the time).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
They’re deathly afraid that melee might survive some of their gay ass kill you mechanics which is sort of what melee really needs. Every corpse explodes or shits out a fireball or a lightning golem or poison on the ground. The second anything takes more than one button press to kill and you don’t move half a screen away before attacking a second time you’re rolling the dice.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Need some help with ironing out a few kinks with my ED/Contagion character. The character is effectively "done", I can finish my 37 challenges easily since I've gotten the actual difficult ones done already except Cortex II(fuck that).

The contagion then ED playstyle is starting to hurt my wrist. Pinky for life flask, middle finger for movement flask, middle finger for contagion, right click for essence drain, pinky for flame dash, right thumb for flask macro. That's my common keybinds. Ring finger for blight, pointer finger for vaal blight. The extra assignment for middle finger, contrary to what I would have expected, is causing some issues. I'm considering macroing the contagion/ED combo, it really doesn't add anything interesting to the gameplay.

My contagion is almost TOO quick(under 0.2s). I could probably just take faster casting off it, but I was trying trying squeeze as much time as possible out of the really slow contagion + ED cast time. What ends up happening a lot is that I'll press contagion for too long, it'll cast twice, and I'll press ED while the second contagion is casting, ending up with 2 contagions and 0 EDs. Luckily my dude is tanky as fuck and this has not resulted in any deaths. But does make for a stilted gameplay flow, which is quite annoying.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, melee needs as much help on the defense/survivability side as the attack side. MS Jugg works because of high defense, high life on hit, high life and one billion balls hitting the mobs chin per second.

Half the issue is clearly surviving while (1) standing still, (2) in close proximity to the mob and (3) in the middle of so many effects and shit that it becomes impossible to react to specific tells.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dont know if it will be any good but i've got an itch to play trickster winter orb. Can build your power/frenzy stacks by channeling, and compared to other channeling skills you dont primarily deal the damage as you channel so you can still be mobile. So the way i see it Winter orb basically gets 3 out of 3 stars for trickster ascendacy. Channeling, conversion to chaos double dipping and mobility to keep your ghost shrouds up.

Obviously WO got nerfed, but dont think its killed...Its more a question of other skills overtaking it as they got buffed as well..

Can also go fast with queen of the forest and some other gear pieces that dont have to fight it out with ES occultist that i see being the fotm this league, and if WO is bad can still go with something else.

So im 36/40 challenges and done with this league pretty much. I did go with WO trickster like i said before the league start and no surprise if you have global chat on WO is strong and has become fotm again like last league. With the eternity shroud and all shaper gear (people do gear differently) i phase shaper in 1 of his beams so like 5 seconds / phase with just WO (dont use BV or any extra boss skill like that), POB says shaper dps is 477k x7 projectiles. I dont change gems or flasks normally so thats just with my normal mapping gems and flasks but not vaal RF, if i bothered changing my health pot for bottled faith before the fight i could pump that to 557k / projectile (322k per with no flasks).

Its the easiest time i've had in game so far, alltough i only have 3.5 elementalist storm brand and scion ele hit to compare with.

And Trickster just feels nice to play with all that cast speed.

Can recommend if you still play in this league..Alltough at some point if you take it all the way, even though its not required the helm enchant on shaper base is gonna set you back depending on Ilvl 15-30ex (if its not a mirrored random stat helm)

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can assume all projectiles from Winter Orb hit the target?

I honestly dont know. My aoe radius is 19 standard, 20 with dying sun running. I would say its unlikely all hit all the time though. On average my guess is more than half atleast do hit.
If anyone does know i'd be interested to hear whats what.

if anyone is interested here's my pob.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, rofl, they gave winter orb half the cast time of blade vortex. This whole time I'd been dismissing it because blade vortex is a pain to stop and charge. With the nutty cast speed a dual wield trickster can get, maybe it's time I got on the worb train.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I’m trying to 6L for my first time on a decent rolled and properly colored perfect form. I’m thinking I’ll get enough C and Ex to drop before I do this to buy a second 6L.

I’m swapping all my Chroms with players for Jewlers.

dizzie

Triggered Happy

So im 36/40 challenges and done with this league pretty much. I did go with WO trickster like i said before the league start and no surprise if you have global chat on WO is strong and has become fotm again like last league. With the eternity shroud and all shaper gear (people do gear differently) i phase shaper in 1 of his beams so like 5 seconds / phase with just WO (dont use BV or any extra boss skill like that), POB says shaper dps is 477k x7 projectiles. I dont change gems or flasks normally so thats just with my normal mapping gems and flasks but not vaal RF, if i bothered changing my health pot for bottled faith before the fight i could pump that to 557k / projectile (322k per with no flasks).

Its the easiest time i've had in game so far, alltough i only have 3.5 elementalist storm brand and scion ele hit to compare with.

And Trickster just feels nice to play with all that cast speed.

Can recommend if you still play in this league..Alltough at some point if you take it all the way, even though its not required the helm enchant on shaper base is gonna set you back depending on Ilvl 15-30ex (if its not a mirrored random stat helm)

Can you post your pob I've got a trickster at 80 and have no idea what to play as a main skill (didn't really like soulrend/bane so much ), i didn't like winter orb last league but might give it a punt again.

Cheers

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can you post your pob I've got a trickster at 80 and have no idea what to play as a main skill (didn't really like soulrend/bane so much ), i didn't like winter orb last league but might give it a punt again.

Cheers

Sure m8, actually belatedly had that thought but i posted it in a different post that you must've missed. Here it is again.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you guess the skill he's referring to, you have to play it next league.
Cyclone most likely? Not sure what tag though. There's also Blade Flurry which I think isn't technically channelled atm? Could be something else obviously. If they did make Cyclone into a channelled while moving skill instead of the D2 click to move system though, that shit would feel a lot better to play like D3 whirlwind or even Grim Dawn's EoR.

Speaking of Grim Dawn, playing this atm and rolled a melee to switch it up a bit(I played mostly summoners in that too) and it's interesting how a game that feels kinda clunky as shit for many other things feels so much better as a melee. I mean obviously, 1:1 wouldn't be good in poe, class is slow movement and aoe is pretty small, but I like that they have an option to toggle between normal name locking which is useful for kiting and stuff and I used it on my summoner, and their weird no name locking thing where you will basically attack anything around your cursor when you press the button so you can just press the melee button and kill shit without specific aiming.

Feels great to just wave the mouse at stuff to kill them instead of having to hold ground and attack in the direction and miss part of your hits because you didn't click right on top of the monster(and you need multistrike/ancestral call to actually hit shit if you do it this way, otherwise you just waved your stick at nothing and wasted time and mana for no reason).

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I may be crazy, but I think melee could benefit from a movement skill that pulls you around (but not a teleport like flicker strike) to mobs, sorta like a Mortal Kombat Scorpion spear that you can cast 3 times in succession maybe.

Like, cast spear > melee skill > cast spear to another pack > melee skill > cast spear to another pack > melee skill > spear skill cooldown for a bit.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
36 challenges done, feels good to get out of this league.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I may be crazy, but I think melee could benefit from a movement skill that pulls you around (but not a teleport like flicker strike) to mobs, sorta like a Mortal Kombat Scorpion spear that you can cast 3 times in succession maybe.

Like, cast spear > melee skill > cast spear to another pack > melee skill > cast spear to another pack > melee skill > spear skill cooldown for a bit.
Honestly not sure how useful that'd be versus just using a normal movement skill. Melee doesn't have issues in that regard, due to having high attack speed, they can use both leapslam and whirling blades and easily beat most ranged classes in terms of "movement" speed. The pull would be super situational, and you'd still want a movement skill to actually move close to the next pack to pull yourself to it, at which point you might as well just do one more leap/whirl and save a gem slot. You can also use QotF evasion builds with a bunch of melee builds and just run to places like you would normally with a quicksilver and shit.