Path of Exile

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is exactly what Im saying, everything scales the same couple ways. Any summoner could be run off the same build and still be viable, so much so that you only need to swap a handful of points between the builds.
PoE for the most part doesn't punish you for taking a sub 40exalt build. Where it does punish you is in races, challenges, maps, speed runs, time spent leveling, IIQ/IIR, special bosses/exiles and hardcore if you think you can get away with generic build #0134 just because it worked fine that way for the first 35 levels.

If youre playing an armor version of anything, youre doing it wrong. Same thing with crit. Very few skills scale well without going crit.
Do you have any experience in hardcore?

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
With new announcement - guess who bought a Mj?lner 'cheaply' last week. This guy. Gonna see if I can snag a windripper tonight as well before prices go up to bazillions

10th July can't come soon enough. I will start my summer vacation one week after, but that's ok as I'd rather just get to play the new stuff than wait for it so I can poopsock in peace.

I think they want to make arctic armor a skill rangers use really, as it promotes kiting and gives the defense effect when you stand still turreting (that and they seem to get all other cold aspects of the tree any way). I wouldn't say it was 'easy' to get to work, though. You needed a shitton of mana reg on gear and the tree unless you took EB

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you have any experience in hardcore?
Likely more than anyone here. Armor will help survive a bunch of small hits in a low time frame but even in beta the .6 duration of IC on cwdt is better for that. It wont however save you from the stuff thats going to one shot you just because of the shitty armor mechanics in the game. You just cant get armor to a point high enough for it to matter without putting in far to much effort for it compared to wearing something like coil or taste of hate.

Krag

Peasant
New challenge leagues have been announced. To me these sound like the most interesting leagues there have been for quite a while.

Warbands League

In Warbands League, the new temporary standard league, warring clans are spread throughout Wraeclast. As you explore the world, you'll occasionally encounter one of these three Warbands, a tough group of enemies who will work together to try and take you down.

Each of these three Warbands were designed by a different designer at Grinding Gear Games, giving them each a distinct personality.

These Warbands are made up of distinct warriors, who use a combination of skills with the aim of bringing you down. From regular warriors who will attack you directly to support members who will buff their allies and powerful leaders who can drop very rare unique rings. It has also been rumoured that warbands can sometimes drop magic items with a new mod exclusive to that particular warband.

The location of these Warbands will change as players encounter and defeat them, providing a good reason for players to continue to explore areas of Wraeclast that they might not normally return to.

Tempest League

The new temporary hardcore league is the Tempest League. Wraeclast has become affected by magical Tempests which cause a wide variety of effects that have an influence both on monsters and players. These effects range from altering drop rates, changing player or monster sizes or even automatically animating any weapons that drop.

Areas affected by a Tempest will occasionally spawn markers on the ground, indicating that the Tempest is about to strike that area. When the Tempest strikes, anything caught in the area will be affected, including any monsters or players. With both positive and negative buffs, it's possible to kite enemies to negative Tempest markers to make them easier to kill, or position yourself to benefit from a powerful mod.

One example, the Shining Tempest affect causes you to find better items and affected monsters to drop better items. Positioning yourself and monsters in a marker will ensure that these effects work together to give you even better drops.

Much like other systems in Path of Exile, these Tempests have both prefixes and suffixes, with the prefix dictating the effect of the Tempest strikes and the suffix causing the entire area affected by a Tempest to exhibit a new behaviour. For example, an area affected by a Tempest of Living Weapons causes all of the weapons dropped by monsters to animate and fight you, you will need to fight them off if you wish to claim them for yourself.

Tempests affecting zones will change every hour and will be visible on the world map, not only that, but maps will also be subject to Tempest effects. Players will have to work with one another to know which maps to run at any given time to benefit from the best Tempest affects.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Tempest looks nice, mostly because it's avoidable if you get a shit one and it's not just "harder and harderer" shit on mobs, with one mod being super rare that gives better rewards.

Warband looks like exiles/invasion, so not too interested.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well anything for the standard league will be better than torment/rampage at this point. What a waste those two were. And it will be nice to finally have a hardcore league that isn't landing instagib mechanics in your face. Ok beyond wasn't that bad, but the release of invasion and bloodlines were completely overtuned or untested and required several nerfs.

Havent played this in like 8 months, any hardcore, on a budget builds to suggest? Maximum survivability, something to farm with? ill probably die soon after 60 but would be nice to put the odds in my favor a bit.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Havent played this in like 8 months, any hardcore, on a budget builds to suggest? Maximum survivability, something to farm with? ill probably die soon after 60 but would be nice to put the odds in my favor a bit.
damage is high in 2.0, easiest thing is to have meat shields. Summoners or totems. Other than that melee is in a good spot with the fortify support gem. Cyclone in particular is strong even with mediocre weapons.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If youre playing an armor version of anything, youre doing it wrong. Same thing with crit. Very few skills scale well without going crit.
Oh, I see. You're one of those guys who can only play the flavor of the month popular build aka the global hype train aka whatever the streamers have made popular recently and if you're not doing that then you're doomed to farm cruel docks forever because your build sucks.

I'd be willing to bet that my armor based double strike duelist (holy shit I can just imagine how terrible you must think my build was after listing off the triple-whammy of totally unplayable armor along with the totally unviable double strike and the completely trash duelist who gets outclassed at every build by multiple other classes) was more viable and got farther than anything you played during the 1m HC flashback (assuming you even bothered playing it).

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Never played this. Can anyone give me a quick rundown:

Is it like D3?
Is it P2W?
Is it difficult?
No. Aside from the broad theme of kill many monsters + get loot with isometric view. D3 is what I'd play with my wife; she is a casual through-and-through and the green arrows on the gear help her a ton figuring out what to equip. She'd never play PoE.

No. Closest would be $ used to expand your stash space, which does help for trading. It's just a small time-saver though; you get a decent initial space and totally F2P players can just roll some mules up like the old days.

I have a friend whose tastes run similar to yours: hates all modern MMOs, longs for a return to EQ classic era, clocked many many hours on 1999. He thinks PoE is admirably difficult. He's been a hardcore player in the genre ever since D2 and hes talking about rolling softcore for 2.0 launch to practice the high-end game. His last stab at PoE he quit before progressing too far into endgame; was too afraid to lose his character. He has grudgingly admitted that he might need to scrubcore it up to actually get the mechanical practice in.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, I see. You're one of those guys who can only play the flavor of the month popular build aka the global hype train aka whatever the streamers have made popular recently and if you're not doing that then you're doomed to farm cruel docks forever because your build sucks.

I'd be willing to bet that my armor based double strike duelist (holy shit I can just imagine how terrible you must think my build was after listing off the triple-whammy of totally unplayable armor along with the totally unviable double strike and the completely trash duelist who gets outclassed at every build by multiple other classes) was more viable and got farther than anything you played during the 1m HC flashback (assuming you even bothered playing it).
Its no secret that the armor formula in PoE is broken. Going armor isnt worth the investment by the time your doing high level maps and have the retarded uniques available to you. In 2.0 nothing about that has changed. Supports and uniques like fortify, lightning coil, taste of hate give much more mitigation than armor actually does at a much lower cost.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Armor is in a better place than it used to be. They buffed and/or rolled in a lot of armor increases together with other nodes. I think they also tweaked the formula itself though I could be wrong or at least no one has figured it out yet in beta. So combined with endurance charges and fortify it can help to ease the pain of the bigger hits, especially the ones in beta.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Armor is in a better place than it used to be. They buffed and/or rolled in a lot of armor increases together with other nodes. I think they also tweaked the formula itself though I could be wrong or at least no one has figured it out yet in beta. So combined with endurance charges and fortify it can help to ease the pain of the bigger hits, especially the ones in beta.
Armor is in a better place than it used to be and your right that they adjusted the formula, they just didnt go far enough. After 77-78 maps you really start to see armor failing you again and realize you can wear a lightning coil and gain more real mitigation at 0 skill point cost.