Path of Exile

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That was hilarious. Everyone pretty much went WTF. That was a huge amount of dmg at once.
I was watching nugiyen's stream today and one of the developers was in his mumble server talking about it. He said he was going to check what the exact damage was when he got back into the office but he suspects it wasn't very much more than kripp's hp count. He estimated the damage was probably about 7k from it.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Yeah you don't run a twinned springs map when you have negative fire resistance
tongue.png

I am amazed they were not pissed off when they died.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
I enjoy watching Kripp theorycraft. He can be a little narrow in his thinking (always going for certain paths/talents) but he does get creative at times when he pulls out the spreadsheets.

Anyone catch the new build he is going for? Looks like something a bit new (not wand).

Caliane

Man, some CRAZY uniques being added.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/12056
Saffells frame, and taryns shiver. wow.
The covenant pretty cool too.

The Diamond Unique section is fun too. as you can see who made what.
Notch's Infractem (minecraft anagram)

Haven't heard anyone talk about any unique specific builds. Should be possible though.

Khane

Haven't heard anyone talk about any unique specific builds. Should be possible though.
I'm sure we will see a ton of cool builds that focus around specific uniques. Kind of like runeword builds in D2 but way more fun since the passive tree is so wide open.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm sure we will see a ton of cool builds that focus around specific uniques. Kind of like runeword builds in D2 but way more fun since the passive tree is so wide open.
The problem is that uniques have a fixed level. I'd love to make a build around Reaper's Pursuit, but since it's a level 33 item... what's the point?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I went with my axe ranger, finished act 3 normal yesterday and got to level 35. All things considered, i'm taking another break from the game. The loot system in groups is just stupid, there's no excuse for it. I'm not just complaining about items i may have lost, but it's just disruptive and causes everyone to stop fighting so they can frantically mash the mouse, while trying to grab the rares.

The spell effects are just ridiculous right now, as a melee character in a full group i have absolutely no idea what's going on, i'm buried somewhere beneath firestorms, arrows, poison clouds and a ton of lightning sparks, but i can neither see myself, nor the enemies. I usually went with holding down rightclick in hopes of just hitting something, eventually. The performance is pretty bad aswell, and i've got a fairly decent system right now. It should easily be able to handle a game like PoE, but apparently it isn't.

The whole performance/desynch aspect is pretty weird in any case. If you hit F1 you can see fps, latency and whatnot, so i made it a habit to keep an eye on that. And every couple of minutes my fps suddenly drops from a steady 60 down to almost zero and my ping skyrockets. Then my character desynchs, my abilities hit thin air and either me or the monsters warp around for a bit. Caused me to die a few times aswell, because you don't even know you've been hit already and can't react to it.

I know it's still considered open beta, guess i went in with hopes too high. But overall the closed beta felt almost better and delivered performance way above what i'm getting right now. If they can get a hold of these issues, it's a really solid game (but please get rid of the stupid D2 map while you're at it GGG).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The problem is that uniques have a fixed level. I'd love to make a build around Reaper's Pursuit, but since it's a level 33 item... what's the point?
That's a problem for some of them, not all of them. Specifically, it's an issue for builds that rely on weapon damage and unique weapons, since then it won't scale. To a similar extent a build that "relies" on tanking stats would have trouble running low stats uniques. But not every build needs to do that. Particularily spell based builds rarely care if the weapon damage is 1-6, as long as it has good stats. For example the Searing touch, the pretty common fire staff, has insane fire damage stats. It kinda sucks for an Infernal Blow build cause the dmg on it is static, and fairly low(it's lvl 13 or something like that). On the other hand, a fireball build? Don't care if it hits for 7dmg when you melee swing with it anyway.

So yeah some uniques don't scale well. For example a lot of the 2H swords/axes/maces, since they're generally aimed at attack builds, they only are useful for certain level range.

As for unique centric builds, there's a few. Quill Rain for example has a few builds including explo arrow, flame totem, EK. Darkscorn is another bow that converts 25% of physical dmg taken as chaos, have CI? 25% physical dmg reduction.

I think overall, uniques are nice. Some are shitty as fuck, but a lot are interesting enough, or fit specific builds, even if not forever. There's a few BiS uniques for specific builds too(conduit endurance want 2 kaom's sign, magnate belt for EK build, kaom's chest for a lot of 2H melee builds, the unique karui maul for sweep builds etc).

Vorph

Yeah, I know. I just have three particular builds I'm focusing on at the moment and other than Magnate for my EK shadow, none of them benefit (edit: long term) from anything other than highest-level uniques. 2H weapons are especially disappointing, but hopefully those lists just aren't complete yet.

satael

Silver Squire
Man, some CRAZY uniques being added.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/12056
Saffells frame, and taryns shiver. wow.
The covenant pretty cool too.

The Diamond Unique section is fun too. as you can see who made what.
Notch's Infractem (minecraft anagram)

Guess who has the unique bastardsword (Shiversting) in HC (EU)?
redface.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Guess who has the unique bastardsword (Shiversting) in HC (EU)?
redface.png
Unique is just a quality, it's not really unique, people sell Shiversting all day even on HC, it's one of the common uniques. It's a great one though for leveling melees, or anything really, give them lightning strike, weapon elemental dmg and shiversting and you mow through everything until lvl 30 in 1 or 2 shots, even with 0 points in anything melee. The +2 bow on Silverbranch is probably better for that though with poison arrow. Searing Touch is nice too with like fire traps. Good twinking items.

And vorph the list is complete, or well was before open beta but they only added like 2 uniques or something. There's a lot more coming but so far that's "all they have". That's 110 uniques already though so it's not that little. They have about 150 more from diamond supporters coming though, people who bought diamond in the last few weeks of closed beta so they didn't get time to make the uniques yet. I really like that uniques aren't just stuff they think of but stuff supporters gave them idea of. Supposedly there's a 2H shield coming for example, cool stuff.

Vorph

Wasn't really referring to the quantity, but rather that the highest level 2H weapons--which are all based around weapon/physical damage--are not all that high level at all, relatively speaking. The distribution is pretty off too; did all the diamond supporters make bows or what?

Personally, I'd have made a wand, since there's only two unique ones and neither has projectile speed.

Khane

I went with my axe ranger, finished act 3 normal yesterday and got to level 35. All things considered, i'm taking another break from the game. The loot system in groups is just stupid, there's no excuse for it. I'm not just complaining about items i may have lost, but it's just disruptive and causes everyone to stop fighting so they can frantically mash the mouse, while trying to grab the rares.

The spell effects are just ridiculous right now, as a melee character in a full group i have absolutely no idea what's going on, i'm buried somewhere beneath firestorms, arrows, poison clouds and a ton of lightning sparks, but i can neither see myself, nor the enemies. I usually went with holding down rightclick in hopes of just hitting something, eventually. The performance is pretty bad aswell, and i've got a fairly decent system right now. It should easily be able to handle a game like PoE, but apparently it isn't.

The whole performance/desynch aspect is pretty weird in any case. If you hit F1 you can see fps, latency and whatnot, so i made it a habit to keep an eye on that. And every couple of minutes my fps suddenly drops from a steady 60 down to almost zero and my ping skyrockets. Then my character desynchs, my abilities hit thin air and either me or the monsters warp around for a bit. Caused me to die a few times aswell, because you don't even know you've been hit already and can't react to it.

I know it's still considered open beta, guess i went in with hopes too high. But overall the closed beta felt almost better and delivered performance way above what i'm getting right now. If they can get a hold of these issues, it's a really solid game (but please get rid of the stupid D2 map while you're at it GGG).
I don't agree with your stance on loot in the game but the general confusion that occurs in group play is problematic. They need to do a few things in my opinion. Make rare and champion pack mobs more noticeable. Right now they are slightly differently colored (tinted blue or yellow) but it's still very hard to tell, especially with all the elemental damage that hits mobs). The other huge problem is how similar minions look. They need to stand out more. Diablo 2 did it perfectly in my opinion and spectres are done decently enough in this game but skeletons and zombies are just too hard to tell apart. Skills like Lightning strike need to be tweaked too... when you have 2 or more people spamming you can't see shit.

I think the loot system is perfect. This style of game is all about the loot farm and grind. There is no reason to guarantee each person in the group loot. It makes the game lose all it's flare. Who cares if people stop fighting? The game has been in open beta for what... a week or so and people are already mowing through stuff. It's not like these are MMO style fights that require preparation and teamwork, you spam your highest damage AE ability for packs and single target ability for bosses and rares. You have a certain amount of time to grab "your" items and if you aren't fast enough other people can take it. This is better for the overall health of the game. As the game gets older and people just leave stuff on the ground newer players that might be in the group can pick up the items to do what they will instead of them just going to waste. Also, the farther away from something you are that drops for you the longer the timer lasts, so ranged don't get completely screwed like some people have claimed. You will miss some items, and you will get some that other people missed. And if you play long enough you will get whatever it is you want. This game doesn't have any absurdly rare drop rate items that are "required" for end game builds... like Jo Ber El Um.... well not El but you get the idea.

Vorph

I don't really care much one way or the other because I only play the game solo or duo with a friend I've been playing MMOs with since the beginning of EQ, but I still think their loot system was one of the only truly idiotic decisions they made in their design. If I had any interest in playing with randoms, the loot would absolutely keep me from doing so.

I agree with the rest though. Minions are a goddamn headache even with just two people, to the point where I dumped my witch before completing A2 normal. I've also seen videos of what the game looks like in a 6-man group; I wouldn't last 5 minutes of that regardless of the loot issue.

It's a great single player game though, so I certainly wouldn't let any of that sour my opinion of the game as a whole.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm running a nice fire witch build atm. I'm currently level 51, hardcore. The basic idea is EP on fireball, basically giving you dps that's in the range of single-target attacks but on multiple mobs (ie, very high aoe damage). The nice thing about increased burning damage is that it's multiplicative with increased spell/fire damage because burning is based on the amount of damage done. This is also a disadvantage because it means burning damage essentially gets reduced by resistances twice. But burning doesn't reflect, either.

I can post more details if people are curious. TST is a must.

Caliane

I'm running a nice fire witch build atm. I'm currently level 51, hardcore. The basic idea is EP on fireball, basically giving you dps that's in the range of single-target attacks but on multiple mobs (ie, very high aoe damage). The nice thing about increased burning damage is that it's multiplicative with increased spell/fire damage because burning is based on the amount of damage done. This is also a disadvantage because it means burning damage essentially gets reduced by resistances twice. But burning doesn't reflect, either.

I can post more details if people are curious. TST is a must.
Do you know the full mechanics of fireball?
LMP, chain, pierce, concentrated effects, fork, and how these interact?