Path of Exile

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I know when I was doing my SRS a while ago I just ditched standard skelly summon for Vaal Summon Skeleton. It felt like just summoning them normally they didn't do shit but I could Vaal summon them if I encountered a Warband or a treasure box and they'd actually be useful.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh yeah Vaal skel is nice but you can have both, vaal skeletons sometimes get melted against harder bosses and shit and since it's a vaal skill you can't recast it, while the good old skele totem still summons shit. That said last time I played SRS I didn't bother with skeletons either, I think it was more of a thing when I played spectres, cause you don't really have shit to do anyway since most of your damage is entirely passive. SRS you're just spamming SRS, don't have time to spam skeletons or even waste time dropping a totem when you could just be spawning more SRS.

Falmer_sl

shitlord
Trying to patch the game from 2.0.X, and it's been stuck on checking resources almost an hour. Tried restarting the launcher, but to no avail. Is there anything one can do against that, apart from simply waiting?

Welp, nevermind, we "allocating space" now.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Trying to patch the game from 2.0.X, and it's been stuck on checking resources almost an hour. Tried restarting the launcher, but to no avail. Is there anything one can do against that, apart from simply waiting?

Welp, nevermind, we "allocating space" now.
Buy an SSD, sadly

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think Ive finally hit the point where the leveling up isnt worth it anymore. Got to act 3 and I just didnt care anymore, going to pass on this league and maybe the expansion will make it more interesting.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I made an archer ranger, up to level 50 so far. Talismans have been kind of a letdown. I've found around 40+ talismans and theres only a pool of like 5 or so mods, most of which are very boring and generic +damage. I was thinking talismans were going to introduce a ton of wild and crazy modifiers that enabled unique builds. I'm hoping there's some endgame talismans that I just haven't seen yet that introduce new gameplay (and also aren't 0.001% drop uniques).

Siege ballista is kind of crap. It does poor damage, attacks slow as hell, and dies very easily. Shrapnel shot I didn't like but can't say I spent much time on it either.

Blast rain on the other hand is amazing. I used it at low levels and thought it was meh, so I stuck it in an empty slot to level. Later when I got a lot more attack speed, it's much smoother to use. It's great damage and can viably work as both your aoe and your single target.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Did they do something to unique droprate ? I have been running unique weapons only since I killed Merveil and got Carnage Heart on top in a3. Usually I get between 0 and 2 uniques in all of normal ...

Yeah, the talismans are weird, the fact that you can't fix them after they drop makes them really hit or miss, but it's nice change of pace. Is it worth it upgrading the talismans pre-endgame ? I did like one and the boss killed me twice before I got it down, so it seemed like a waste of time.

Both Bladefall and Blade vortex seem to be perfect for leveling

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it basically averages the ilvl of your talisman so if you don't do them at low level, then you're never gonna use those low level talismans for anything so kinda up to you.

I've spent the couple of hours I played just checking builds and stuff on old chars, I tried splash viper strike, it's alright but there doesn't seem to be a point either, like it seems to kill as fast as Reave but the aoe is way smaller. The dot aspect really only kicks in when fighting tough bosses and shit and even then it's debatable versus just reaving them from a screen away anyway. Hell from what I've checked most of my damage came from killing shit with physical crits rather than the dot, so that felt kinda underwhelming as a result.

Tried Bladefall, didn't like it at all. Though apparently it might be bugged with spell echo. Still the aoe is weird, I thought from the description and what I thought I remembered in the trailer it would be a cone with decent range, kinda like ground slam but in waves, but instead it's more like a wall extending slightly forward, so the aoe feels really clunky. Like you can't center it on yourself and get as good results as circle aoes like firestorm or line up stuff and hit them all like pulse or cascade. Feels like the aoe is basically the worst shape possible for general use somehow and the damage wasn't anything amazing(granted I didn't test with proper supports/gear/gem level).

Blade Vortex looks really solid but kinda weird to play, have to make a tanky ass caster to use appropriately. Iron will caster with a bunch of end charges and shit might be good for it, I don't think it's worth going all phys nodes shit for it though. Best part about the skill is precasting(similar to say SRS where you can spam while the bosses are spawning and shit and they die near instantly once they spawn) and the fact you can run around doing damage with it. Duration seems really good for it, cast speed surprisingly not really super necessary, seems easy to cap at 50stacks.

The chaos spells look pretty good but haven't tested them myself. Looks like damage is alright, does require to press more buttons than the usual build though.

Caliane

I made an archer ranger, up to level 50 so far. Talismans have been kind of a letdown. I've found around 40+ talismans and theres only a pool of like 5 or so mods, most of which are very boring and generic +damage. I was thinking talismans were going to introduce a ton of wild and crazy modifiers that enabled unique builds. I'm hoping there's some endgame talismans that I just haven't seen yet that introduce new gameplay (and also aren't 0.001% drop uniques).

Siege ballista is kind of crap. It does poor damage, attacks slow as hell, and dies very easily. Shrapnel shot I didn't like but can't say I spent much time on it either.

Blast rain on the other hand is amazing. I used it at low levels and thought it was meh, so I stuck it in an empty slot to level. Later when I got a lot more attack speed, it's much smoother to use. It's great damage and can viably work as both your aoe and your single target.
yeah, I was screwing around with ballista and shrapnel too. havent gotten a blast rain yet.
blast rain sounded good and easy. probably works with life/mana on hit. probably shotguns..

shrapnel I hated. its 100% pierce. which ok great pierce, but limits support options. I am not sure how the explosion works yet for proj. probably not. its probably aoe. probably doesnt point blank.

Ballista I think is ok. its +140% base attack damage, at level 1(scales up. mine is 144.8% at level 4), 50% less attack speed. also 100% pierce.
By default its not a primary skill. but does add decent damage.

I am totally looking into the idea of a ranger summoner. (Might swap to scion.)
Seige ballista x2. lmp/gmp+? and mirror arrow+chain?

PoE Builder: Build a Better Character for Path of Exile

Blade vortex seems like its screaming spell totem itself.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Played alittlein 2013 , just picked this up again.

Reading the last few pages, it looks like a necromancer is being released in the future? That's always my favorite class (or warlock). What can I build in the mean time that's similar? I really liked the warlock's seed of corruption style of DoT spreading in WoW. It looks like I would need to aim for Contagion, correct? What about adding blasphemy to it as well?

Caliane

witch has like always been curses and necromancer. They did add contagion now of course yes.

the specialization adding new "classes" is next expac/patch, too. not this one.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Caliane. I was leveling up the Archer I had in 2013, but he's in standard league (still dont really get leagues, but i'll go read up on those now).

I'm going to restart tonight with a witch. Is there a rerolled guild that still exists? Which league?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Played alittlein 2013 , just picked this up again.

Reading the last few pages, it looks like a necromancer is being released in the future? That's always my favorite class (or warlock). What can I build in the mean time that's similar? I really liked the warlock's seed of corruption style of DoT spreading in WoW. It looks like I would need to aim for Contagion, correct? What about adding blasphemy to it as well?
Things to understand about the new "classes" coming if you haven't followed is they're really just subclasses, and they add a bunch of passives similar to the skill tree but specialized. Necromancer is a Witch subclass with a focus on pet buffing stuff, but it won't change the current builds all that much, just make them better. If you want to play a summoner you can play one right now and, barring new skills, it'll play more or less exactly like Necromancer would, just less powerful(but obviously the game's balanced with the current power levels in mind, I assume Ascendency will rebalance most shit to take into account the power creep from subclasses).

For example Necromancer adds chaos clouds remaining when minions die, stronger spectres stats, reduced damage taken based on how many zombies you have and make the offering minion buff spells affect you also(which is pretty neat since they're strong buffs). Those are nice but it's not like new minions, new mechanics or an actual new class on the tree, it's just a witch focused on minion stuff.

As for the "future", it's in 3+months at least, so don't expect it soon either. It comes with the next expansion, probably a bunch of other stuff including the new daily labyrinth thing you get your subclass in.

So if you want to play summoner, you can do that. They also added chaos spells in this patch so you can do that, however it's not really like seed in wow. Seed kinda behaves the same as explosive arrow, you put a bunch of arrows on stuff and they explode on everything around, at least that's how I remember corrupting seed. The new chaos spells are really just dots, like a single target dot and an aoe dot that spreads the single target dot at the same time. Mixing stuff is possible but as usual it can be problematic due to straining yourself thin on the tree.

As for leagues, since a new league started, you probably want to play that, Talisman league, Standard and Hardcore are probably super dead at the moment. Unlike previous leagues, this one's the same for both hardcore and softcore(well minor differences in item drops and such), so you pick whatever you prefer, probably more people playing Talisman softcore though.

Ryanz

<Banned>
So my initial thought was to make a dual arc totem crit build, but playing with blade vortex it really makes me want to go AoE, Crit, Blade Vortex with assassins mark and warlords mark on Blasphemy. Blade Vortex just feels really nice, I kind of understand why people were so drawn to Cyclone (overlooking the fact it was OP). Luckily the pathing for my arc build pretty much goes right where I would go for the +AoE nodes I'd need to switch to blade vortex, so if the dual totem thing doesn't work out I'll just switch it out. Also wondering how a dual blade vortex totem build would work out. Hmmmmm....

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Don't know about vortex totems, sounds shit cause it takes a while to ramp up so your totems would probably die before getting it high and shit, plus you can't precast spam.

There's apparently a bug with Vortex too atm, you can snap shot increased aoe then swap conc effect instead and as long as you never lose your stack, it seems to apply conc effect damage but with the increased aoe radius.

I'm doing a Chaos Witch in the end, but I'm taking some pet passives on the way cause I don't feel it's worth taking EVERY chaos dmg node possible, and I feel having a bunch of zombies would be helpful since the chaos stuff lacks defenses(can't leech as much as normal builds and no stuns and shit). Don't know how much I'll play though, I'll see.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Pyros, that helped a lot. I ended up starting a witch and focusing on summons. The totems+flaming skull or totems+contagion is fun.

And seed of corruption could be modified with a talent point that would apply corruption to anyone hit with the blast, and the duration would refresh with each explosion. It doesn't look like the duration on contagion refreshes each time it spreads, so not as good as I thought it would be.

Oh, and not having a colorblind mode is super fucking annoying. I can't tell the difference between the red or green sockets/gems.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anyone have a link to a good loot filter? I'm using NeverSink but for some reason the 2.1 one doesn't seem to highlight chromatic vendor recipe items and I really need that

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Made a shadow to try out blade vortex, and wow it's strong. I'm doing a poison'ish vortex build and it's great. I just walk up to mobs and they die to the vortex, or they die shortly after from the poison dot. It's crazy and I wouldn't be surprised if vortex gets adjusted in a balance patch soon.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Made a shadow to try out blade vortex, and wow it's strong. I'm doing a poison'ish vortex build and it's great. I just walk up to mobs and they die to the vortex, or they die shortly after from the poison dot. It's crazy and I wouldn't be surprised if vortex gets adjusted in a balance patch soon.
They typically don't re balance skills in the middle of a league.