Path of Exile

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
If you have the support gems and sockets for it, Spark is great linked with fork and faster projectiles, both of which are easy to get early quest rewards. It loses a bit of it's power in big open fields, but it wrecks indoors or enclosed areas.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got one shottesd by cruel vaal's hammer on my 50 templar. Underestimated its range. 2100 life and good resists and armor, sort of surprised. Just got eldritch battery too; definitely dissapointing.

Btw, temporal chains + unlimited curse is so OP. The unlimited curse is literally that; even if you leave a game and come back, the shit is still cursed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Got one shottesd by cruel vaal's hammer on my 50 templar. Underestimated its range. 2100 life and good resists and armor, sort of surprised. Just got eldritch battery too; definitely dissapointing.

Btw, temporal chains + unlimited curse is so OP. The unlimited curse is literally that; even if you leave a game and come back, the shit is still cursed.
Get the 2nd curse and add enfeeble, then pretty much nothing is a threat anymore unless you're like not using any health items. Enfeeble makes Vaal's punch tankable on cruel pretty easily too(on merci you need fairly insane stats to tank it though, when it hits in its high range).

Playing a crazy new build atm, a 1h+shield melee ranger with Dominating Blow. Shit's fairly hilarious, probably not the most efficient but it's fun as hell. Big mana issues(haven't lvled Dominating Blow yet and it still costs like 34mana with only +65% from supports) so I'm gonna have to itemize accordingly to sustain it, but otherwise it's hilarious. The thing about Dominating Blow that makes it that much better than Spectre is what you dominate is what you get. No "base type mob" type of thing, if you dominate a rare with an ES aura, you get a rare with an ES aura on your team. I dominated one in like act2 normal and it gave me 850 ES ^^. They have a fairly limited duration(currently about 30secs with the rank1 but that's gonna be up to like 1:30min or so eventually) so you have to keep getting new shit and the build is noticeably weaker/stronger depending on what you fought recently, but it's still alright, non nerfed mobs(unlike spectres) are actually pretty beastly. Just slow as shit, I'm gonna have to 5L a minion speed, or I could 4L it, but basically there's no way I can run it mana wise. Maybe on a 5L with reduced mana with quality, but that's like super far since that's expensive as shit.

Rest of the skills are to kill shit without minions, bosses and what not. I use fire trap for aoe because it's just a great skill without any DPS passives, viper strike for killing bosses since it also doesn't care about your DPS, Molten Shell for defensive purposes and also for more damage when no minion, Enfeeble to tank shit when no minions/bosses and whilring blades to run around without a quicksilver and just mobility/aoe.

Reason for Ranger is to get IR+US+Duellist health regen/armor as well as being close to the skill duration passives(vital to this build), could have done witch and get more regen but it would have taken longer to be ready since the skill duration shit is super far and without it you lose a large bunch of the build's power.

muiy

Molten Core Raider
I rolled up a caster-centric templar just because i had no idea what i was doing. I'm feeling pretty papery in A3 and am a bit at a loss on how to up my damage output. everything resists most my spells and i just feel like the mob health has scaled dramatically faster than my dmg output. Had my first headache on the A2 boss, and then the first time you run into piety. Basically couldn't survive enough hits and had to corpse hump my way through. Not sure what i need to be doing but all i've found for DD spells is Fireball and Spark. I have Firestorm, Ice Nova for AOE's.
Not sure if this directly relates to your build, but I've heard Kripp say that Wand Templar is one of the hardest builds in the game because it is so gear-dependent. On the other hand, it is an extremely strong end-game group build when you finally do "get there".

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Kripp says that because he likes to toot his own horn and because he was pushing the limits of mana with ~6 auras. You can cut 4 of those auras and it is still a great build. Also, anyone who tells you "mid game is going to be tough because you need great gear" is really saying "mid game is going to be boring and you're going to have to grind out levels in cruel instead of just linearly completing quests". This is because your wand will still kill stuff in 3 shots, but you run out of mana pretty fast so you kind of need to studder step and shoot. Get mana regen, health, and resists and don't worry about faster cast speed or + all stats or anything and definitely don't worry about running 6 auras until you can afford the gear.

To Squiggoth, the easiest way to combat that is to just grind areas until you outlevel the normal exp gain. Levelling up your gems is the single best way to get damage upgrades until about level 67 to be honest. That and stack +life on gear and get as many %life passive nodes as you can. There are a ton of those passive nodes and they are awesome.

In other news I think my favorite part of this game has to be the fact that I can use currency items... as currency. I hated trying to trade items with someone who had something I needed but had some off the wall build and needed nothing I had to offer.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Couldn't resist and started playing again. Anybody know what a good price for a reduced mana cost and lightning warp gem is? I'm looking to buy one of each, so if you want to sell that is just as well.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Reduced Mana is pretty expensive, I think I sold all of the ones I picked up from leveling for a couple of Chaos each, maybe more sometimes. Lightning Warp you can probably get for next to nothing I'm sure.

So right now I'm still stuck on Merciless Vaal. I ran up there early on, maybe around level 63 and tried him and decided it was best to wait after that attempt so I went to grind more levels, then I did the same thing at around level 67, now I'm level 70 and just tried him again. My minions are still getting rocked, they are even weaker than they were in my first attempt just higher level. Everytime rocks come I have to Granite, or go to town, when my Granites run out I have to recharge them, if I lag and get hit by lightning it has taken over half of my health even using Purity and having 77 Lightning Resist. It's ridiculous. This is with pretty good gear also, I don't have much Armor but my resists are all maxed and I have over 3000 Life and pretty good damage with wands and minions (when they aren't dead...).

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I guess just make a new character.

How did you guys not die to Merciless Vaal? I've come so close to dying simply from rocks that it's ridiculous.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Reduced Mana is pretty expensive, I think I sold all of the ones I picked up from leveling for a couple of Chaos each, maybe more sometimes. Lightning Warp you can probably get for next to nothing I'm sure.

So right now I'm still stuck on Merciless Vaal. I ran up there early on, maybe around level 63 and tried him and decided it was best to wait after that attempt so I went to grind more levels, then I did the same thing at around level 67, now I'm level 70 and just tried him again. My minions are still getting rocked, they are even weaker than they were in my first attempt just higher level. Everytime rocks come I have to Granite, or go to town, when my Granites run out I have to recharge them, if I lag and get hit by lightning it has taken over half of my health even using Purity and having 77 Lightning Resist. It's ridiculous. This is with pretty good gear also, I don't have much Armor but my resists are all maxed and I have over 3000 Life and pretty good damage with wands and minions (when they aren't dead...).

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I guess just make a new character.

How did you guys not die to Merciless Vaal? I've come so close to dying simply from rocks that it's ridiculous.
Get in a group -- preferably a full one and play frogger. If there's another summoner there you should be ok. Skeleton totems really come in handy, same with temp chains and/or enfeeble like Pyros mentioned before.

Try standing on top of a portal when rocks start and pray you can click pots/the TP before you get hit by a 2nd or 3rd.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Get in a group -- preferably a full one and play frogger. If there's another summoner there you should be ok. Skeleton totems really come in handy, same with temp chains and/or enfeeble like Pyros mentioned before.

Try standing on top of a portal when rocks start and pray you can click pots/the TP before you get hit by a 2nd or 3rd.
Yeah a group would definitely make things easier, the main difficulty is that I'm the only target lots of times considering how squishy the minions are. I think I'm going to spec into more life and run more Armor then try again. I have about 6 Life nodes in fairly easy reach atm I believe.

That Enfeeble is a good tip too, I was using it but I doubt it had more than 70-80% up time.

Khane

I have a question... not that Vaal Oversoul is easy but... people seem to have a lot of trouble with him in Merciless. Does anyone even attempt/kill Piety in Merciless in HC? She is way more brutal than Vaal in my opinion. And Lunaris Temple level 3 absolutely sucks.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have a question... not that Vaal Oversoul is easy but... people seem to have a lot of trouble with him in Merciless. Does anyone even attempt/kill Piety in Merciless in HC? She is way more brutal than Vaal in my opinion. And Lunaris Temple level 3 absolutely sucks.
Yeah Piety is pretty stupid too I assume, I haven't actually got a char to her yet, my explo arrow died on vaal and I can't be bothered progressing on my dagger melee witch anymore. Her Ice arrow hurt like a bitch even on cruel though, I guess because it's part physical and part cold so you need to granite AND sapphire for safety, they're avoidable most of the time but if she lightning warps right before running into a cold portal she can move while shooting arrows and the angle shift can be quite dangerous. Worst case scenario though you can contact morsexier and pay a GCP(I think it is) to get him and Kripp to kill it for you without her doing anything. Check the hardcore forums for that.

Khane

There doesn't seem to be much of a point in doing it. I assumed you needed to kill her to do maps but I never killed her in merciless on my shadow and can still get to the laboratory and do maps.

And where do granites even drop? I have yet to see one.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Granites are just random drops, they are level 27 so I assume they can drop in any 27+ zone or from any level 27+ monster. I don't think they are available as quest rewards or anything like that unless they are in Merciless Act 3 as that's the only place that I haven't been.

Khane

Trading in softcore is a hassle and a half. So many people trying to buy stuff for absurdly low amounts. Had a guy offer 3 chromatic for a 8% qual LMP. When I said 2 low he said 1 chaos take it or leave it... then 2 more people tried to offer 1 chaos each and laughed and said GL when I told them too low. Sheesh. I thought it would be easier to sell these qual gems that are used in so many good builds.

Are there any good pricing guides anywhere?

kemuel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Trading in softcore is a hassle and a half. So many people trying to buy stuff for absurdly low amounts. Had a guy offer 3 chromatic for a 8% qual LMP. When I said 2 low he said 1 chaos take it or leave it... then 2 more people tried to offer 1 chaos each and laughed and said GL when I told them too low. Sheesh. I thought it would be easier to sell these qual gems that are used in so many good builds.

Are there any good pricing guides anywhere?
Just posting this link in case you haven't seen it, or maybe this will help another person.http://www.poeex.info/
On your situation it's really hard to trade in softcore as you can just zerg anything that you die too, which obviously isn't the case in hardcore, so people can just "hold" out till it's cheaper or they out level it.

Khane

Thanks Kem, that's perfect.

Also, I meant to say GMP not LMP. I know it's gotta be worth quite a bit more than 1 chaos even without qual.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks Kem, that's perfect.

Also, I meant to say GMP not LMP. I know it's gotta be worth quite a bit more than 1 chaos even without qual.
On HC a GMP is worth 2-3GCP, with no qual. With 8% it'd probably be worth an exalted. Maybe softcore prices are lower or maybe you're just not finding the right people I don't know. Friend of mine who plays softcore seems to be getting a lot of really good deals though so I think it's just way more clueless people on softcore. He bought a 17% freezing pulse for 1GCP. He told me that and I was like, you mean 7% right, but nope he got a 17%, and FP is hardly a niche spell or anything, I got a 18% dominating blow for a single GCP for example but that's because who the fuck wants dominating blow to begin with so the guy was probably happy to sell it at all.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've been one of those people trying to get LMP cheap, since it's a lv12 quest reward for Rangers I assumed it'd be cheap and lots of people would have them going spare... apparently not.