Path of Exile

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Hating Beyond I can understand, that's at minimum a pain to deal with constantly and can really quickly escalate. Perandus and the others not so much, technical issues aside. I don't really like when you basically ignore the league-specific content and play standard, like now in prophecy - it started nice but faded into the background or forced you intro pointless low areas too much. I would have liked it more if PoE matched area level to player level at least somewhat (without making maps pointless).

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
what I recall from beyond at the start was that it was terrible. I had never played any league before it (I played original hardcore then quit for a while) so I wasn't sure what to expect, suddenly these super duper strong mobs spawned and the only recourse was to... run away. It did get better as the league went on though but beyond was for sure, and still is, the most 'taxing' league in that it overshadows all other mods when they run ruckus leagues. I do like it though, I think for those leagues you really should play something super fotm that can handle it (last time I did block incinerate and it worked well, for the golden seraph set league)

Probably won't play essence league as legion launches at the same time but am definitely gonna tinker around in Standard a bit to try and make some nifty summoner build. Hoping some of those essences that affect minions will make it into standard eventually so I can incorporate them somehow

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People complaining about beyond forgetting invasion launch with bosses that would off screen one shot you.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Invasion was ridiculous and in need of a nerf, now theyve been nerfed so hard they might as well not exist in the ruckus leagues. Beyond is still my favorite league. Ill never forget the first day leveling where my group had to be aware of spawning the packs. They were only too strong at low levels but they were something you had to be aware of throughout.

More lately, Ive been trying to find a build I enjoy playing over the last few days and havnt had much luck.

Caliane

yeah, this entire part:

"Map Drops
For the most part, the map drop system works the same as before. The new rule is that the maps that can drop are from the following groups:

• Maps you've previously completed in this league (including on other characters).
  • Maps that are connected to the one you're playing on the Atlas.
  • Tier 1 maps.
When a map drops, its tier is entirely unchanged by the choice of which maps you have unlocked so far. Unlocking more maps doesn't change how many of a specific tier you receive (but increases the number of different maps that you see at that tier).

Unique maps work the same as other maps. They only drop in maps they are connected to on the Atlas until you have completed them once. Then they drop as normal. As missions, Zana can offer you unique maps that you haven't unlocked yet. These may be lower level than the level of the actual unique map is now.
"

Objectively worse, as you say. so... we only get maps in line... no longer random/efficient mapping, avoiding the shit maps no one likes.
No longer get +3 tiers from bosses? allowing skipping of tiers? Uniques ONLY drop in their linked map? lol. so.. no one will ever do unique maps again?
Presumably, we are now forced to trade for nonshit maps. Its like skillgem trading all over. Trading white maps, just to unlock the ones that arent shit.

The +5 tiers is nice.
t12 tropical island? ok! t10 dunes? ok.
t13 mountain ledge/shore? ok. t15/16 gorge? ok.

Caliane

one of my first thoughts was also this though.
Seems like there will be an optimal path. Trade for key maps. unlock THOSE maps only. complete no other maps, (go ahead and farm.. just don't kill the boss.) now only the "good maps" will drop for you.

This seems abusable, and poorly planned.
Incentive to not kill bosses. forced to trade for white maps. And, "oops I unlocked a shit map, league ruined.".

Last edited:

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's convoluted for little benefit, and has obscure consequences that fuck over regular players that don't know them (no-lifers will be fine). What are the odds of GGG unfucking this before next week? If it was Blizzard I'd say we are stuck with it for at least 2 seasons, but the kiwis might be less lethargic when it comes to changing their vision I think?

Either way, there will be 2-5 atlas-related challenges that shatter all the carefully laid plans people theory-craft up right now.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think these changes, once unfucked from obvious exploits, should be good for the game. Right now the game desperately needs some more motivation and direction for doing maps. Some more goals to push you to do maps over dried lake until 80 and a bit of easing on the difficulty of getting to the higher tiers should be nice.

If on the other hand they leave in the obvious exploits and the changes don't change the difficulty of getting into the highest tier of maps, then I think it will be a disaster.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The "exploiting" is really only maximizing map xp, which unless you're racing for something, is pretty pointless. I could see it as being an issue in 48h-2weeks races type of events where you'd absolutely want to maximize your atlas, but otherwise for most people, it's not gonna be a terribly big issue I'd say, since I'd bet most people don't bother leveling past 80-90 anyway, which is the only real time xp efficiency becomes a big concern. Although I'm sure a lot of people who aren't concerned by this will still bitch about it.

It was pretty much all expected stuff from the videos interviews they had given, no real surprise but I did expect the Atlas to be char based instead of account wide though.

Progress through the atlas will also be slower than the current acquisition of all the different maps due to the restrictions, meaning it's likely people will end up running more of the same maps than they do currently, which could be boring to some. The higher map drop rate might help a bit though.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The "exploiting" is really only maximizing map xp, which unless you're racing for something, is pretty pointless. I could see it as being an issue in 48h-2weeks races type of events where you'd absolutely want to maximize your atlas, but otherwise for most people, it's not gonna be a terribly big issue I'd say, since I'd bet most people don't bother leveling past 80-90 anyway, which is the only real time xp efficiency becomes a big concern. Although I'm sure a lot of people who aren't concerned by this will still bitch about it.

It was pretty much all expected stuff from the videos interviews they had given, no real surprise but I did expect the Atlas to be char based instead of account wide though.

Progress through the atlas will also be slower than the current acquisition of all the different maps due to the restrictions, meaning it's likely people will end up running more of the same maps than they do currently, which could be boring to some. The higher map drop rate might help a bit though.

That's a good point, in the long run I won't really be be hindered by the atlas. I plan to "just play" and unlock what I can anyway. It will probably suck for people that feel the need to follow the meta and/or group with strangers often.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I got to act 4 merciless last night. What should I do next? My plan was going to be to farm dried lakes for gear and currency before finishing quests for act 4 skill books and finishing Cruel trial of ascendency. Then on to fucking around with mapping. I did get an exalted orb to drop last night and I'm desperately in need of a good bow so I was thinking of seeing what I can get on Poe trade.

Caliane

They did respond, and are adding a "remove a map" currency.

its more then just exp though. clear speed=drop rate.
And, targeted map drop, means targeted map upgrades.
like, lets say you want to farm gorge still.
t13 gorge. attached to t14 shrine, t12 necropolis, t12? (next to t11 underground sea and torture chambers.

If ALL you have unlocked when running gorge is t12 necropolis. EVERY t12 drop will be necropolis. So you can 3 necroplis-upgrade with ease.
But if you have other t12's.. residence, plateau, shipyard, wasteland. suddenly your t12 drops are all split. And, each individually upgrading to, waterways, sulphur wastes, gorge, lighthouse, and the other new ones.

As it stands, the atlas seems to heavily encourage 4 man groups... each clears a quadrant path. They then share the t16 bosses, and any super high efficient map like gorge, as well as one tier below it, for the efficient upgrading as noted.

Map location and sextants is interesting for balance, not noted by most.
Poecraft Atlas of Worlds
notice Gorge is not near anything but shrine. So gorge can only get 2 sextants. gorge and shrine.
Waterways on the other hand. Bazaar, Waterways, palace, and dark forest. 4sextants.
Sulfur wastes, same deal. 4.
new t13 by plaza. plateau, plaza, ?, and coloseum. also 4.

So gorge might not be the "best" anymore. but, theres still a very real possibly one is. And the 4 person split, seems highly ideal.

Just found a reddit thread also talking about this. not 100% accurate, but they counted up what they thought would be sextant counts.
http://i.imgur.com/QCdHFKz.png

Last edited:

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Is this game actually F2P meaning can I experience the whole game without dropping money just to use inventory space and chat channels, etc.?