Path of Exile

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Love the constant content updates PoE gets. D3 is such a fucking joke compared to this game now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another pic of the Atlas making some logical guesses at tiers

0GFUvOW.jpg

0GFUvOW.jpg

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Is there any good beginner guides to this game? I played maybe 5-6 hours a few months ago. Any advice on a finding a good skill build for a beginner? I would rather not spend a lot of time building a worthless character without knowing how to skill properly.

Caliane

Two schools of thought.

one, pick a guide at random from the class forums. Follow it. learn the game by mimicing one by the streamers, etc. the biggest thing to look for is a "start of a league build". This is key, since many of the builds in the forums are "end game" builds, which depend on currency to be viable. these suck for new players.
An example of a good guide is, Forum - Ranger - [2.3] NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ Beginner friendly ♣ Rapid clear ♣ Uber Atzir - Path of Exile
Gives you a run down on Bow mechanics, and no less then 5 variant skills you can use and build for.

Second, is no. go ahead and make a character, and make it trash, because that will happen no matter what. You will fuck up your first 7 characters no matter what you do.

If you do use a guide, try to learn from the guide, not just copy it without understanding the why of the choices they made. One of the main issues with guides, often they do not explain the whys or whens of choices.

• 1Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And if you have any questions, drop em here and we'll figure it out with ya!

• 1Like

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Fucking up a character is a waste of time, guides exist for a reason and anything except your skill tree can be unfucked. Stick to ranged, I personally recommend a spellcaster since they scale decently without upgrading your gear too often beyond links. If you ask nicely somebody will literally shower you with gear, since right now there's a lull between seasons and very few items are valuable in standard.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I like to go to the big POE youtubers / streamers (ziggy I think?). They always pick out and make a few guides for what they believe to be in the top tier of builds for the upcoming season. Nice thing is they'll typically have play videos ect so you can at least get sort of an idea if the endgame play is something that interests you.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ZiggyD has some good starting guides and stuff too, explains basics like vendor recipes, links and what not. They're kinda old I think but still up to date, other than Ascendencies(but he might have done a new guide after Ascendency). Look him up on youtube.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I second just playing and fucking up for the first character somewhere in the 30-60s, but take a look at guides if you like the core gameplay and actually want to play up to 70+ and mapping. Considering the new expansion they are lining up right now I'd dabble with starting a few archetypes for the next weeks and then pick a build to take to endgame in the new league.

Bonus hint: You can never have enough resists/hp - neglecting those stats is the most common early mistake.

Caliane

yeah, and to give the FAQ.

1. when planning passive tree, assume 90-95 points. the "123" skill points is level 100, all quests, AND 3 bandit quests all +1 skill point.
long term players like myself, rarely hit level 90, nevermind 100.

2. On the passive tree, +hp is usually the most important stat. Damage comes from alot of places, and very few builds focus on getting +damage. only, dedicated crit builds really make effort to get +damage, (in the form of crit). After, that move speed, and defense buffs (aka block, or +eva/ar %) Use gear for resistance. +30 stat blocks are often great or required for leveling, and speced out of end game, when gear or later passive points remove the need for the +30 stat.

3. Gearing priority is usually, hp>resist>>stats>>>all else. move speed on boots. And then, maintain sockets to use proper skills and links. its not uncommon to be running an item 50 levels under level, solo self found early, due to it being the only proper 4-5l you have for your attack.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Thats a bit misleading as other ARPGs dont have a cap on resist like Path of Exile.

Well ok, I should've said max resists. PoE is firmly in the same memory slot as D2 for me, so resist caps are a given.

• 1Like

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't played in 8 months or more, and the talent changes seem to have made my caustic arrow Scion stronger. Leveling seems faster too (maybe cause I'm killing faster?)

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I started leveling the build linked above. I decided to follow a build instead of winging it to at least have a somewhat viable character to farm with for any future characters I want to start.

I just figured out that some gems are drop only and not quest rewards so that's my biggest hurdle at the moment. I really need Chain and GMP to make some abilities work and haven't been lucky with drops. Currently level 37ish in act 4 normal. All in all I'm really enjoying the game and steep learning curve.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Chain and GMP are quest rewards. Duellist gets both(well, they're on the vendor after you complete the corresponding quest). There's only a handful of drop only gems left, notably Added Chaos Damage, not too sure about others. Maybe Temp Chains? You get GMP/chain just before the end of act IV, after doing The Eternal Nightmare. They used to be drop only but that was a long time ago, they remade the gem system so it's less of a fucking pain in the dick, so you can buy a lot of gems from vendors now and get most of the good gems directly without trading.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Chain and GMP are quest rewards. Duellist gets both(well, they're on the vendor after you complete the corresponding quest). There's only a handful of drop only gems left, notably Added Chaos Damage, not too sure about others. Maybe Temp Chains? You get GMP/chain just before the end of act IV, after doing The Eternal Nightmare. They used to be drop only but that was a long time ago, they remade the gem system so it's less of a fucking pain in the dick, so you can buy a lot of gems from vendors now and get most of the good gems directly without trading.
Thanks for clearing that up. I read some outdated info.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Added chaos, and the three Empower/Enlighten/E-something, that are high lvl drops and take shitton of xp until they actually do something and your build shouldn't require them. That said, not every class can buy every gem - it depends on the class you are playing, but asking in local chat where the vendor is will usually get you what you want. Or somebody will throw it at you in the guild.