Path of Exile

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I'm a lvl 38ish hardcore witch now. It's my first play through, and I can't believe I haven't died yet. I'm really playing hardcore just to see how far I can go, then I'll continue the char on default. I'm following the EK tank buildhere, but I'm still using freezing pulse with LMP gem because it's simply better than EK right now. I'm not sure when that's supposed to change.

The passive skill tree is simply amazing. Biggest appeal of the game for me. A close 2nd is the gem & crafting aspect. Lots of cool things to do, lots of different routes to take to create & modify gear. I'm really impressed with this game, and its cleverness makes it even more apparent how vapid and uninspired D3 is.

The one worry I have is I'm already struggling to find gear that both isn't terrible and has proper links for my gems. At the moment I only have 2 separate required links. That's such a low criteria, yet I've burned all my chromatics and lots of augments just trying to get gear that's useable. It seems like the game is pretty unforgiving on the 1st char. It seems like it benefits hugely from saving all decent gear & making alts. I know I should save my currency as much as possible, but sometimes I have to use it or I can't progress.

Loyang_sl

shitlord
So i just started playing this again. Highest char I ever had is lvl 31.

I can't seem to decide which build to use. I've probably started 6 different chars so far. Is there a general idea to follow since you can't do a total respec if you figure out you've put too many passives points in the wrong spot?

DMK_sl

shitlord
I never enjoyed following builds from forums/fan sites on the first play through of a class. I feel like I'm not actually 'playing' the game. I'd rather get a feel for things myself and enjoy the game that way even if I am a bit underpowered. Obviously that changes when priorities change from enjoying the game to trying to down bosses etc.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I really like the mechanics of this game, and the tam has some great ideas. I played todays race with blood magic, totems and increased mob damage all at once, was great fun. I wish it had better graphics or Style, and was more fluid... the only thing D3 did right.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I really like the mechanics of this game, and the tam has some great ideas. I played todays race with blood magic, totems and increased mob damage all at once, was great fun. I wish it had better graphics or Style, and was more fluid... the only thing D3 did right.
That was fun, until I died twice at lvl 4 to charging Rhoa that came from off screen and killed me in single hit
smile.png

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never enjoyed following builds from forums/fan sites on the first play through of a class. I feel like I'm not actually 'playing' the game. I'd rather get a feel for things myself and enjoy the game that way even if I am a bit underpowered. Obviously that changes when priorities change from enjoying the game to trying to down bosses etc.
rerolled brethren - I have an iq 60% WITH 40% increased rare monsters lvl 68 spider lair map - not that exciting if you are way into endgame maybe but pretty sweet for me. the end boss is a flicker striker, and with the map buff of 25% faster attacks and damage will rape. but the iq is sweet so msg kazoraa in game if interested. I'd like to have 3-4 people for it. loot is ffa (good luck with that if tuco is there) but trying to get maps atleast please.

oh also - I run pretty high iq/iir (100/240) so unless you top that let me cull strike the bosses/rares down when we do it.

So i just started playing this again. Highest char I ever had is lvl 31.

I can't seem to decide which build to use. I've probably started 6 different chars so far. Is there a general idea to follow since you can't do a total respec if you figure out you've put too many passives points in the wrong spot?
i only have a lvl 54 marauder, but i don't believe you ought to be speccing too far out of your main attributes until later on.

for example, i wouldn't dream of taking any weapon type dependent skills (2h, axe, staff, dual wield etc) until I'm done with Merciless and consistently using that weapon type.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Having played a Ranger to 71, the rule of thumb I use for specs is: dps comes with level and gear, survivabilty comes from the skill tree.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having played a Ranger to 71, the rule of thumb I use for specs is: dps comes with level and gear, survivabilty comes from the skill tree.
They come from both... Most armor is rolled hoping for resists, +armor/dodge/ES and health. And most builds have tons of points specced in dps in the skill tree.

The build order is the question, and I think it's best to boost dps in the first 20-30 levels then boost survivability until you've got all the survivability traits you want and you can start working on dps.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
That's the beauty of this game, if you can make it work and have fun doing it, then you are doing something right.

Baraz_sl

shitlord
Died in HC at lvl 47 from being an idiot last night. Kinda glad I did though. It solidified the decision to play in default for me. I love the execution of the Hardcore/Race leagues in this game, but I'm just so limited in my playtime now, that I don't want the majority of my game time being rolling through A1-3 of Normal and Cruel over and over.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
I wish it had better graphics or Style, and was more fluid... the only thing D3 did right.
I actually really like the graphics and style of the game. The armor and weapons are awesome when equipped and high in detail. In terms of being more fluid, I agree that sometimes the gameplay feels a little clunky or delayed. It's not detrimental enough to be a complaint for myself, as its simply something you adjust to and it doesn't hinder the mechanics in any way.

Found my first unique today in fetid pool cruel mode. And a 4L pair of boots but they are pretty low in armor.. Like 11. Still using cleave with loh and 30% more damage on full life. Also heavy strike with perm 30% more damage. Shield bash and leap for movement purposes. There are a lot of buffs in this game and I'm having trouble picking which ones to use. I have a flame shield, an endurance charge shout, a fury charge thing, warlords mark..

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Really loving the game design but the clunkiness and lag are killing me. There's this really shitty delay after I cast spells where I have to click 3 or 4 times before I move to wherever I'm clicking, is there any fix for this?

Falmer_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I just started playing again and the rubberbanding and prolonged periods of super high ping are still there. Very annoying, especially as a melee.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Call me a fanboy, but I played PoE for about 3 months straight, and I never experienced any of the clunkiness or rubberbanding that people seem to mention/complain about.

Did someone seriously take a shot at the graphics? A d3 player that is? Wtf is this shit?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It slipped kinda out of context, I mentioned I'm not to fond of the PoE graphics style,and wished it was more fluid (the thing D3 did right - I do something my character does it immediately, PoE isnt as smooth). But to fanboy D3 while at the same time being dissapointed to no end by it, environments and monsters are spot on in that game and the only complaint I'd have about D3 graphics is the character models arent detailed enough and the armor is mostly WoWish.

PoE, I feel the models are just ever so slightly off, maybe its the camera angle (it feels just a little bit too top-down for me). Also I want to cash shop different character models, not sure if thats something they might do eventually.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
So this game interests me but when is it actually getting released? I don't really want to play open beta/whatever version it is even though it's pretty much release version. Do they have a release date for the final game?

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
What's your reason for not wanting to play the "beta?" It has been confirmed there will be no reset, it will still be free. Try it out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe this summer once they finish act3, but it's basically a full game, no wipe, as much content as D3 and more due to maps endgame, all classes, everything is available. The open beta tag is just the shit F2P games do when they don't want to call it a release in case shit crashes, but it's been open beta for what 3-4months already so yeah, that's just release.