Path of Exile

DMK_sl

shitlord
Ah I see. I must just be really unlucky because I haven't upgraded a thing for at least 5 levels. Does anyone have any idea when the Cuthroat mode will be implemented?

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I've pretty much invested all my points into strength and specialized in 2h with a few accuracy points and a few points in +life. Damn that sucks you don't really find upgrades that often. That's why I enjoy playing these games for the constant loot dropping and feel of progression that way as well as leveling. Kind of put a dampener on things for me with PoE. I get bored if I'm not finding new cool items.
your passive points should be planned toward specific builds. I guarantee if you're just picking up things as you go that seem good or helpful, your build is likely shit.going off your description, I'm certain that's the case. The early game isn't balanced around strong passives because you don't have them yet. I'm gonna guess that's the wall you're hitting. What skill do you use primarily? Is it linked with any support gems? Auras?

This game has lots of upgrades. The bottleneck is when you need links AND good gear. My first char, EK witch tank, is in the garage at lvl 47 as I play other guys until I can get a proper 4L chest for her.

Post your build. The sooner you do that, the sooner people can tell you your char is garbage and to reroll based on published builds from people who know how to make one

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I've pretty much only been doing the races so far, my highest character outside of those is like 33. With the season winding down I might actually level some more so before I run intto the same problem, is there any way to make Rain of Arrows work? Havent found a good write up for it on their forum but I dont find it particularly easy to navigate so I might have missed it.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
For all of Normal and Cruel up until it stops being faceroll you should be running with as much IIR as you can. You don't really need any upgrades til then, plus you'll find quite a bit more rares. Whenever I start a new character I run with my leveling uniques, IIR, and a decent weapon. It's all you need.

I've pretty much only been doing the races so far, my highest character outside of those is like 33. With the season winding down I might actually level some more so before I run intto the same problem, is there any way to make Rain of Arrows work? Havent found a good write up for it on their forum but I dont find it particularly easy to navigate so I might have missed it.
Check exilepro.com , there is a maruader rain of arrows build on there. But of course you start out using ground slam till the later levels and you would need good amount of DEX from items which can be rough at times when you get a nice piece of gear and it replaces an item that has the DEX you need.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Teaser from next week's patch
life_bars.jpg

life_bars.jpg

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you are trying to avoid cookie cutter builds, I can definitely vouch for my current setup, a hybrid incinerate/firetrap/molten shell build, which you can read about more on the poe witch forums. Uses ghost reaver passive with incinerate/ gmp/ lifeleech/ manaleech (4L), two fire traps with increased AoE (3L), and molten shell. It's definitely more challenging than something like a summoner or dual spork build, but it requires different abilities for different situations, which makes gameplay way more fun in a game that otherwise seems boringly built around spamming a single skill.

Pros:
- All you really need are a 4L and a 3L. I have a 5L and use an item rarity gem as the fifth.
- You become essentially indestructible against big melee hitters. This is by far the biggest perk of this build. Once my incinerate has hit 4th stage, I am basically invincible (unless something freezes me - dream fragments wru). I comfortably tank endgame maps versions of kole and brutus, while wearing farming gear and basically sucking (dont bother popping granite flasks or other sensible things)
- Keep a couple firetrap gems linked to increased area of effect and you should be fine against casters, and elemental reflecters. As a witch, its nice to have zombies out to keep melee elemental reflect mobs busy while you lay down traps.
- Build allows you to reserve easily half your mana pool or more, without needing to invest into many mana nodes (important, as clarity and purity are essentially requirements). Incinerate linked to mana leech means you almost never have mana issues. The exception would be a 'smothering/stasis' map with high fire resist mobs that refuse to swarm near you. However, firetrap is one of the best dps/mana ratio abilities there are, and with some patience and accuracy these maps should also not be an issue
- Requires a lot of movement and some situational awareness. Depending on who you are, this could be considered a Con. IMO, makes the game a lot more fun than say a dual spork or summoner build where you go afk, come back and collect loot. Makes fighting otherwise annoying mobs (like undying alchemists and puncture archers) fun and skill based, since you alternate weaving around and tossing fire traps at a free moment.

Cons:
- Requires eye of chayula, which is getting cheaper, around 5-6gcp if you're patient. As a plus, if youre CI the downside of chayula doesnt effect you.
- Clarity aura is basically required. Purity too depending on where you are at and what your other gear is like
- Not the best in parties because of the slow ramp up on damage and the fact mobs tend to scatter
- Requires a lot of movement and some situational awareness.
- Archers sometimes cause me a problem (Fuck burning/explosive arrows and puncture) but as long as you're pro with the dodges and pop a quicksilver it's usually easy to take them out with a couple firetraps at most.

Nodes:
You can find the trees at the poe forums pretty easily, but the main nodes include some basic fire nodes, lots of ES, and CI.

Naturally, like any spec that largely skips life nodes, This build requires CI. The exception would be if you have shavronne's wrappings. The main advantage to shavronne's with respect to this build is pain attunement, which is pretty huge. Without pain attunement, an emphasis on maximizing spell dmg is also important.
It's also fairly easy to find someone selling a chest with more ES than shavronne's as well - since all you need is a 4L you can probably find a 700-800 ES tri-res chest for a few gcp, maybe an exalt at most. With the amount of ES you get with a CI build and the ES node past CI, it is pretty easy to reach 8k ES without disc aura, and if your mana pool is big enough, 9k+ ES with disc up.
- Personally, I run with all farming gear all the time. I am pretty sure my highest resist is around 35%, with purity up! I could easily get to 8k ES but don't because of the gimped farming gear I use. I don't mind because I enjoy the challenge and its fun seeing loot explosions on the screen. Even with this shitty setup, I am surviving up thru lvl 72 maps so far, with my few deaths being entirely avoidable (usually involving me not backtracking when I should have). If someone actually geared sensibily, their survivability with this spec should be excellent.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/400347

Preview of all the new features they're adding next week, new leagues, rebalance, free respec etc. Pretty cool stuff I think I might start playing again on one of these leagues, most likely the one with "fake" players. Wanna see the entire patch notes but one of the details they mentionned was pretty big, Acrobatics will only reduce armor/ES by 50% instead of removing them entirely, that makes evasion A LOT more viable.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Changes are all pretty awesome, especially the eternal orbs. From description on "how to use" I'm guessing they'll be very rare but at least it gives the ability to remove a little of the "all or nothing" luck in the current system.

I'm thinking the Anarchy League is where I'll be going once the patch hits.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Wow... those patch notes... just wow

Stopped for 2 weeks and now I think I'm gonna jump in again. The new leagues and additional features sounds amazing.

D3/Blizzard should hang it's head in shame

Caliane

wow. crazy good additions.

Yeah, I dont understand how anyone can still give D3 the time of day. how is that tread even alive still? its not even worth talking about as a joke, or comedy of errors.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I like the idea of new leagues, but all those special rules about item availability could become a royal pain in the ass. Though on the other hand chances of me ever seeing any of those items is pretty close to zero
biggrin.png
4 month league is weird, top 10 will definitely be mostly no-lifers, good groups, so there doesn't seem to be a point for the average human unless he likes the ruleset.

biggrin.png

Raes

Vyemm Raider
wow. crazy good additions.

Yeah, I dont understand how anyone can still give D3 the time of day. how is that tread even alive still? its not even worth talking about as a joke, or comedy of errors.
It's mostly still active due to stupid fuck-ups, like the recent RMAH exploit that let people generate hundreds of billions of gold.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I like the idea of new leagues, but all those special rules about item availability could become a royal pain in the ass. Though on the other hand chances of me ever seeing any of those items is pretty close to zero
biggrin.png
4 month league is weird, top 10 will definitely be mostly no-lifers, good groups, so there doesn't seem to be a point for the average human unless he likes the ruleset.
4months leagues act like ladder resets in Diablo2. Everyone starts from 0 again, new economy and shit. Eventually it all remerges into the older league. It's not necessarily intended as a race even though people will take it as such. There's also the achievement shit to do that everyone can do pretty much, especially since one of the league uses the standard ruleset, so if you die you don't get sent to default, you can keep going(it's the one with the fake players, didn't bother learning the difference but I wanna say anarchy one). Means it's not only for the hardcore lovers like most other races.

biggrin.png

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
I'm still stunned that a tiny company in New Zealand can listen to their playerbase and implement good changes like this faster than Blizzard. There is really no excuse for Blizzard to fail like they do.