Path of Exile

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
In some hours well get the development manifesto which will go over the broader changes overall for the meta shift. Tomorrow well get the specific patch notes with numbers etc.

TLDR - Today is everyone basically praying their shit doesnt get killed or nerfed. We'll also get massive spoilers, reveals, and the winter orb #'s everyone is dying to want to be OP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The pessimist in me is suspecting that stat sticks and poet's pen will be nerfed. I don't know how hard, most stat stick builds are probably fine, they will just take more gear to feel the same. Poet's Pen, regardless of how fair the nerf is, will likely be replaced by Cospri's Malice as the layman's all-round autobomber. Even something requiring PP to hit, which makes sense, will still gut the item. I don't think people realize, even if you do account for accuracy, there's a HUGE playstyle difference in the spells triggering when you attack(i.e. immediately) and when they hit.

I think it's this difference as to why I can never fully get behind a Cospri's Malice CoC build. I tried gearing one up this last week, feels so much worse than PP. Maybe it's the Shield Charge too, but I have no reliable way to test that.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't matter. It's inconsistent so you'll never plan your clearing strategy around the 35% chance, thus it's almost a complete waste.

I think it absolutely matters, if the base damage is as good as it was before with the endurance charge consumption, the 35% chance for extra damage is just gravy on top. The increased area I agree is insignificant, so if the base damage ISN'T upped accordingly it's gonna suck.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think it absolutely matters, if the base damage is as good as it was before with the endurance charge consumption, the 35% chance for extra damage is just gravy on top. The increased area I agree is insignificant, so if the base damage ISN'T upped accordingly it's gonna suck.
So, we're in agreement? The 35% chance is bullshit that no one will plan their build/clearing around. Thus, you have to play with base Tectonic Slam. It could be ok, if the damage numbers justify it. But I doubt they'll juice it enough that it will be justified over something like Ground Slam or Sunder.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Can't cast on crit from ranged attack totem

Guess I hafta manually shoot things but ok

Phantasm thing is cool

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
ACA52BE2-F917-437E-9F20-73E497E0A148.png

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ranged attack totem has always been bottom of the barrel

Admittedly didn't stick anything into POB in my browsing because I didn't really like anything I saw.

The quill rain, lightning volkur, barrage/tornado shot trickster looked good enough. But meh, I don't feel right even 5 linking a quill rain.

Just lookin for somethin diff.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Admittedly didn't stick anything into POB in my browsing because I didn't really like anything I saw.

The quill rain, lightning volkur, barrage/tornado shot trickster looked good enough. But meh, I don't feel right even 5 linking a quill rain.

Just lookin for somethin diff.

Lot of people just get the Porcupine card set, get the 6 link short bow, then chance it into a 6l quill rain fairly easily.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I think it's just to apply the minor update patch that was posted. Balance manifesto should be later today.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You see that the "summon phantasm on kill" gem makes all attack abilities count as minion abilities? Pretty ridiculous. Stack up on minion nodes for pure flat damage, go multi elemental stat stick or whatever the fuck, and throw a phantasm on there! EZ.
Phantasms seem entirely pointless without Soulwrest. Downside is that Soulwrest probably won't be so common next league.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Phantasms seem entirely pointless without Soulwrest. Downside is that Soulwrest probably won't be so common next league.
Not how the gem is being used there. It's purely just to gimmick to give the minion tag to an ability.

Lowball

Trakanon Raider
Only thing I can think of for that interaction is charged dash cwc srs speedclearing summoner meme. stopping to cast minions is the big speed barrier, and the hit from charged dash triggers your necromancer minion passives with the minion tag. Throw it in a soulwrest and run cwdt offerings.

Caliane

yeah. it doesn't add the "minion" tag to the gem. it adds, the minion passive to the skill as its activated.
A super obscure interaction, and there are many others like it.

In this case, summon phantasm on kills, causes the ability, to summon phantasms on kill.

so when you have "minion and totem element resistance support"...
"Supports minion or totem skills. "
"Totems and Minions summoned by Supported Skills have +0.5% Fire Resistance"

in order for that support to support the phantasms, the active skill, summon phantasms on kill is supporting, MUST act as a minion skill.

Null's Inclination
"Trigger Socketed Minion Spells on Kill with this Weapon "
But null's inclination, won't suddenly start spamming a spell linked with "summon phantasms on kill" because it doesn't actually give the supported skillgem, the minion tag.

Practical applications for the minion tag, on non-minion skills... not much.
Minion damage support, minion life support, minion speed support, minion and totem resist support..., and summon phantasm support.
Minion damages MORE minion damage does not effect your skills, even with that one passive. minion life, does not effect you. minion speed, minion attack speed will with that one passive, but as noted, is less then plain old faster attacks. minion cast speed will not effect you..

The Duration tag being applied to skills is a bigger deal. A number of threshold gems are known for doing this kind of thing as well.

Burning arrow gains "area", when pitch darkness threshold is used, allowing it to be supported by area supports.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Forum - Development Manifesto - Balance Changes in Path of Exile: Betrayal - Path of Exile

Balance Changes in Path of Exile: Betrayal

Every release, we choose some specific game balance issues and gameplay limitations to address and adjust. The patch notes tomorrow will provide the comprehensive list of changes but today we'd like to cover some specific changes and the reasons for them.

Stat Sticks
The use of "stat sticks" has been a feature of Path of Exile for a very long time.

A stat stick is an off-hand weapon that is not valid to use with a skill you are using when dual wielding. You get all the benefits of the stats on the weapon, while not having any limitations it might have affecting the use of the skill. You can use a weapon that has the attack speed and/or damage you want for the skill, while the off-hand weapon provides excellent stats without its speed or base damage limiting you.

This use started off as an interesting gameplay element to use as part of a build, but over many releases, as more powerful modifiers on unique and rare weapons have been added, the power of stat sticks cannot be ignored when planning builds and is stifling other choices including genuine dual-wielding.

In 3.5.0 we are removing the ability to use stat sticks, through the following changes:
  • You will no longer be able to use skills that require a specific weapon equipped if you are dual-wielding and one of your equipped weapons is unsuitable for that skill.
  • Skills that could be used with two weapons, but were main-hand-only when used, now use both weapons when dual wielding.

We found that with this change it was important to make skillbinds specific to your weapon set. You can now have an entirely different set of skills bound to your main set of weapons and your second set of weapons.

Energy Shield Recharge
Energy Shield Recharge is no longer interrupted by non-damage changes to your Life or Energy Shield.

(For context, we announced last week that Eldritch Battery now causes you to have 50% less Energy Shield Recharge Rate.)

Initially this change was explored as a way to make it easier for casters to use Eldritch Battery to solve mana issues. One major issue standing in the way Eldritch Battery being effective is that it doesn't work very well on it's own, needing something like Zealot's Oath to go along with it.

While there were concerns that this might introduce issues with other builds, when tested it was a justified change and was beneficial for a variety of cases.

As a further support for Eldritch Battery and Energy-Shield-based builds in general, more flat Energy shield has been added on the tree.

Cap on slowing effects:
The total amount that you can slow the expiration of an effect on a character through a time-slowing mechanism (such as Temporal Chains) is now capped at 75% from all sources.

Time-slowing effects are very powerful defensive tools. Limiting time-slowing to a cap allows us more flexibility in making content, as well allowing us to provide more options for giving players time-slowing effects.

Unique rebalance
The patch-notes tomorrow will cover a large number of unique item rebalances. Some of these are simple numerical changes, while others are closer to redesigns.

The following principles were applied in looking at rebalancing unique items:
  • Any item that drops very rarely should be justified in being that hard-to-find. Many very rare items have been improved, while a few were made more common.
  • Unique items that are acquired through specific high-tier bosses (for example, Elder and Shaper Guardians) should be balanced upwards where they were not up to par.
  • Unique items that dramatically affected diversity in an item slot would be addressed, either by nerfing excessive power, or by looking at what else was available in that item slot.
  • Items which were relatively very strong, but did not damage diversity could be made more rare.

While many unique items were adjusted, this is an ongoing process, and some items that may have deserved a change by the above principles might not yet be addressed.

Cast on …
When looking at unique item balance, some items that offered triggered effects had their cooldowns reduced. It was difficult to do this without also looking at other triggered effects. As a result, the Cast on Critical Strike Support and Cast on Melee Kill Support will also have their cooldowns reduced.

Archetypes
One of the approaches we use in patches in developing skills and making changes around some specific play styles. This is centred around the concept of having some build archetypes. We make a specific build, and add features and balance changes around that build. While some players are expected to end up in the archetype, we also want the tools to be useful in existing builds, and to allow and change other builds that share elements with it.

The three archetypes for 3.5.0 were a cold-based DOT spell caster, a Hierophant-based caster based on a new skill type (Brands), and the Champion based melee character based on new Axe and Sword "Steel" skills with a new effect Impale, supported by a new skill type, Banners.

The cold-based caster has led to the new skill Winter Orb, rework of Arctic Breath and Ice Spear and adjustments to Ice Nova and Vortex. This caster archetype has led to a number of changes on items, the passive tree, and the Occultist tree in particular. Added Cold Damage Over Time Multiplier and non-ailment Chaos Damage Over Time Multiplier is on new item modifiers, on the passive tree and on the Occultist. The values on various cold and chaos nodes were modified.

As well as the new Brand skills, the archetype based on them has led to changes on the Hierophant, and also had knock on effect for totems. A number of totem nodes now also offer benefits for Brands. The Hierophant node Ritual of Awakening no longer grants +1 to maximum number of Summoned Totems. Instead it now causes skills that would Summon a Totem to summon two Totems instead, and grants 3% more Damage per Totem.

Additional totems are now available from other sources, and players will have a number of options for totem builds, as well as being able to explore the new Brand skills.

The Champion now has a strong Impale based way to play, and has had changes to support it. Tectonic Slam has been adjusted for it, while Shattering Steel, Lancing Steel, War Banner and Dread Banner have been added as new skills.

But what about Self-Casting?
In the last few days the community has been very keen for news for casters who don't rely on totems or triggers, which is often referred to as self-casting.

Self-casting has not been a specific focus of the set of balance changes for 3.5.0, and we don't want to try rush in further big changes without extensive testing.

Betrayal does include some changes for various things associated with self-casting. We have designed the new cold skills to be aimed at self-casters, for example.

We are sure you'll find interesting builds and choices of many kinds in Betrayal. There are already some balance changes planned and underway for 3.6.0. We expect to keep a good eye on gameplay during Betrayal to see how our plans need adjustment, and to develop a picture of the balance roadmap for next year.