Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"faster npcs"

This is something that I had been thinking about. In particular in regards to Wolcen, its soldier of fortune mode, and Vermintide.
I've mentioned before, I think the 4 player co-op of Vermintide would work very well in an ARPG. Wolcens soldier of fortune is sortof like that.. but still miles away.

But like, play a Vermintide, and think about the hordes and specials. Then imagine playing a Path of exile, and its hordes.. and bosses.
But there is a major difference, and I think it something PoE has moved away from to its flaw.

In Vermintide, the monsters hunt you. in PoE, you hunt monsters. FFS, they have garbage spawns in PoE boss fights just to refill flasks. Trash is just loot pinatas, not threats.
This is something that I would address in design. Choke points in maps. hordes of trash that slow you down, get in your way, and whittle down your resources. Low loot drops from them.
Rare bosses hunt you down, during this. and they full on do the L4d/vermintide thing of teleporting around. attacking you while you are surrounded by the trash mobs, etc.
you should feel hunted, and overwhelmed. Esp 1v1. (loot at the end, as temple, and delve do)

Hotjoin parties would be good for PoE in this as well.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Making the link system simpler and making it so only gems that work fit = winning for newer players, smart moves.

Framing it so we can focus on end game crafting instead of rolling on gems / sockets

This is going to fuck with leveling gems you want to vaal on the weapon switch, isn't it?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I haven't watched any of the stream stuff but from what's been posted in this thread it just sounds like all the 'game is confusing for new people, lots of stuff, hard to get the basics' is going to be multiplied exponentially.

Is all this new stuff only for the 'campaign 2' characters? If not, how are they going to roll this into standard? If they don't roll it to standard, how would interactions between campaign 1 and campaign 2 characters work?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So it looks like all armor shields and weapons will have 2 sockets, jewerly and stuff will have 1. Then on the gems themselves, you'll have sockets to slot supports for that specific gem. Those can drop as 6 link, or certain color combos, etc.
I think I get you. So 1-2 gem slots for actives. Then up to 5 supports on an active.

My question is can you fuse up a 6L gem or is that purely a drop. If it’s purely drop that’s going to be fucking expensive.

Back watching and holy shit. Shots fired all around.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
New bosses will be difficult because we havent done them 1k times like Uber Atziri and Uber Elder used to be. Would be insane if they added something tuned to the level of Uber Atziri when she was added vs the power levels.

Would be even cooler if they brought back the first 50 to kill get unique MTX

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So gems will drop with varying sockets, so you'll need to find 6 link sockets for the *gems* for the skill gems. That seems rather interesting.

From the gameplay demo Kripp is playing, it seems like the gems have as many linked sockets as the item you put them in has sockets. When he picked up a 4 socket Maul all the skills in his weapon slot suddenly became 4 linked.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn, there is going to be such a huge spike for PoE coming in December, maybe the biggest league/xpac.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
From the gameplay demo Kripp is playing, it seems like the gems have as many linked sockets as the item you put them in has sockets. When he picked up a 4 socket Maul all the skills in his weapon slot suddenly became 4 linked.

That was because the gem had those sockets. they said you would have to "build" the 6 link gems, so I assume that's what jewlers and fusings will be for.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

That would make more sense to me than just moving the socket/link system from gear to gems. Just a change in the interface basically, and maybe makes it easier to do gem-swapping by having 2 pre-set 6link setups on your piece of gear instead of having to swap out 1-3 supports each time?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They said on stream there's an ascendancy focused on the new shapeshifting so yeah.

Also on the 8x6L thing, have to remember that you actually need to make/buy them, it's not automatic. So you're not gonna get super powers right away it'll take a while to build and I assume good gems with 6L are gonna be expensive as fuck, even if they're situational. Interesting how they'll make Tabula with this new system, maybe only have one gem slot but the slot has 6links automatically? I also assume jewellers going away? That or fusings whichever, since from what they've shown all the sockets are just linked apparently so there's no need for both currencies.

Anyway lots of interesting changes. Also Chris said some stuff isn't done yet that's why it hasn't changed(flasks I assume, he mentionned skill tree specifically though).

Might play the next league though it looks neat, the league itself looks meh but all the changes added to the core games might be worth playing on their own anyway.
Yea, no more fusings needed. The gems will drop with up to 6 sockets, all of which will be linked by default. I think the RNG comes in for the number / color, and I am sure they said you can change colors. Haven't heard of how you might be able to add sockets to gems.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yea, no more fusings needed. The gems will drop with up to 6 sockets, all of which will be linked by default. I think the RNG comes in for the number / color, and I am sure they said you can change colors. Haven't heard of how you might be able to add sockets to gems.

I heard someone say that the 6 link/5 socket gems had to be "built". I assume this is what jewlers and fusings are for.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So essentially 6L gems are drop only. I like that the difficulty is going back up some.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe. I'd swear Jonathon was asked by Tarke about the need for fusings, and he said they wouldn't be needed and ppl will need to migrate off them or something. I'm sure we'll find out later.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I heard someone say that the 6 link/5 socket gems had to be "built". I assume this is what jewlers and fusings are for.
Well everything is linked by default on everything they've shown so I don't think fusings will be a thing, but jewellers will probably become rarer since they're basically both jeweler and fusing now. 6S most likely won't turn into 7jews anymore.

An interesting side consequence is assuming chroms still work the same way, it'll be pretty hard to get the right colors for certain skills when the gem color doesn't correspond to its main supports. For example say Ice Golems are green, but you'll need a bunch of blue sockets to slot in all the minion shit. Blade Vortex has similar issues where it's green but a lot of the right supports are red and blue. Maybe they will abolish or reduce the penalty for that though, not sure.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well, I am not going to lie, that trailer made me hard.

I said they need to do a lot to bring me back after my last exit, I think that just did it.

I may still not play 3.9, but I am definitely going to be in on the 2 launch.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its going to be like original PoE where some skill gems were the chase. JR did say you can modify skill gems with PoE2 so you can use currency to make 1s skill into 6s.