Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That's why I mentioned stretch goals. I use my PoBs as notes of sorts. I'd rather record useful items and affixes(note the main 6L has disabled supports) now while working on the build then try to remember them when I actually get to the point of incorporating them into my build. If I find an item too expensive, drop the weakest affix or dial them all down a tier. The DPS certainly has some wiggle room.

What other items are too ambitious? Not saying you're wrong, genuinely curious. This circles back to my original question: if this build is too expensive(and it might be), what were you expecting in terms of investment to reach "smash the endgame"?

The wand is the only real questionable rare slot mostly. A dual skill wand with room for trigger craft has been consistently 15+ ex all week, and I've never even seen one that has skill/spell damage/dot multi for sale I don't think.

Dual skill amulets are easy to smash together given how cheap awakener orbs are right now, but I've tried like 6 now and couldn't hit a single life roll or open prefix on them so far. Good news on the amulets though is that basically any dual skill amulet sells for basically what it cost to craft, so they are a bit of a free roll to attempt.

You'll probably want %life on block on the shield, which means likely giving up one of the other key mods on it, but these are relatively easily spammable with life fossils. ES shield bases are expensive as all hell though still.

Using your leech source as that timeless corrupted node seems a bit sketch as well, but maybe it's more common there than I think it is? Watchers eye with the generic vitality leech is probably preferable to trying to divine that, just means giving up a single damage jewel someplace.

Is there reliable numbers someplace on cruelty support? I swapped mine out as soon as I could get an empower and it felt way way better, but maybe cruelty catches back up later on as your overall damage increases?

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider

Took that guy to 97. Tankiest version of exsanguinate IMO, at the cost of DPS of course. I still manage about 4-5m shaper DPS. I swap to 30% more dot dmg gloves/a. swift affliction for hard bosses. Lemme know whatcha think.

Edit: Doesn't seem to update very well on PoE ninja, but I swapped my sulphur flask for a Sorrow of the Divine, combined with my panicked healing flask, heals 2.2k on both my life(which is effectively 40% better here due to petrified blood) and energy shield. It's pretty insane how well that keeps you alive inside of shit you shouldn't survive.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for a div card and not getting some hoodie bros on it.

1619489487433.png

For those that don't get the reference(shame!):
Those the flavor text on the div card makes me think they do? IDK, I can't decide, some serious Poe's Law shit.
1619499649125.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Got a weird texture streaming(I think?) issue tonight. Veritania's barrage projectiles were invisible while her wings were in the storm. I could rotate one of her wings out of the storm and I would get projectiles! Not a huge deal because every reaction to a Veritania voice line is "move", but made me think how that would happen even within the context of texture streaming. I *really* hope they didn't program it such that they determine something is occluded and thus the texture can be dynamically unloaded mid boss fight.

I desperately want to hear the gorey details on how this feature went out the door and has been live for 1-2 leagues without so much as an on/off switch.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I tried applying updates last night and rebooting.

upshot is that now I can see my projectiles, but now I can’t see a lot of mobs. I had the Hunter dude’s snakes disappear and had the projectiles from them disappear. Oh and the bosses in in some maps are invisible.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So because of league launch servers being what they were, it turns out i forgot to complete 5 passive points worth of quests. I'm level 97, oops. I only noticed cause when i imported my character into PoB it said my level was 92.

Spammed 5 chaos on a large cluster and arguably got the perfect 3 notable one too.

• 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
So because of league launch servers being what they were, it turns out i forgot to complete 5 passive points worth of quests. I'm level 97, oops. I only noticed cause when i imported my character into PoB it said my level was 92.

Spammed 5 chaos on a large cluster and arguably got the perfect 3 notable one too.
That's like finding $60 in an old pair of pants. Niiice.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Got to the endgame for the first time ever and fought sirus today. The first three phases are easy as fuck for a character that can stay moving at range. Phase 4 got me good though and I bricked it. My build is ED and so painful for bosses. I need to figure out what is going on when he has the circle of dudes attack with the Death beam right after in phase 4. I don’t know if I need to adjust my monitor setting but that fight is so dark. I couldn’t see where the exits were for the maze part most of the time.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Got to the endgame for the first time ever and fought sirus today. The first three phases are easy as fuck for a character that can stay moving at range. Phase 4 got me good though and I bricked it. My build is ED and so painful for bosses. I need to figure out what is going on when he has the circle of dudes attack with the Death beam right after in phase 4. I don’t know if I need to adjust my monitor setting but that fight is so dark. I couldn’t see where the exits were for the maze part most of the time.

I'm a shitter and watching guides on YouTube helped me quite. It made a real difference being able to see all the mechanics and audio queues with some explanation as to what is going on.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Got as far as red maps before I decided it was time to buy some gear. I was playing SSF-in-trade Exsanguinate Spellslinger Scion. I could keep playing, but dps was starting to lag behind map progression. The cast speed needed to switch out of Spellslinger was just not happening with gear I was finding or crafting. I know the game isn't designed for SSF, would have been nice to get farther. And I consider Exsanguinate friendlier for SSF than most builds.

On that note, the amount of people bitching about nothing to do in the end game because they don't have juiced fractured deli maps to run....mmm, delicious tears. Go play an MMO if you want some mindless endgame economy farming.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
On that note, the amount of people bitching about nothing to do in the end game because they don't have juiced fractured deli maps to run....mmm, delicious tears. Go play an MMO if you want some mindless endgame economy farming.

Hence why a ton of people were angry at the Harvest nerf; why farm endgame content for currency to buy upgrades when we had the joy of farming upgrades for ourselves?

Caeden

I don’t get the fractured map bitching. I’m bitching because getting to endgame is too tedious now. But yeah, harvest should have been made non-tradable. I don’t know how you’d do it or if it is even capable with how they manage data, but do that.

So I’ll probably knock out Sirus a couple times and maybe do some heist but I’m over BF/BB I think. I could do some more scaling from my 3-4M dps build I have, but I need to farm some currency. I guess the obvious things would be a herald ring, enlighten to help with mana, a bottled faith or cinderswallow, better belt, frenzy chest, maybe a cluster jewel, etc. Still not sure on mana even with a lvl 1 BF. I feel like I chew my mana up. Mana on hit I guess. I went glancing blows and it’s possible I stacked more defense than I need.

Was looking at the meta right now. Burning arrow doesn’t appeal to me. CoC ice nova...yeah, not again. I guess maybe do it on inquis for shits n giggles, but I did CoC mjolnir and it’s about the same fucking build. BF/BB is fading.

so now I’m looking at maybe a champion or something.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don’t get the fractured map bitching. I’m bitching because getting to endgame is too tedious now. But yeah, harvest should have been made non-tradable. I don’t know how you’d do it or if it is even capable with how they manage data, but do that.
Players with too much free time misconstrue economy farming for character investment. There is certainly a gear level you need to get your build to in order to farm fractured deli maps, but it was only worthwhile because of the economy. No one in SSF farmed those maps because there's no one to sell your miscellaneous drops to.

You didn't gear up your character to defeat some difficult content. You geared him up to farm. It's MF with many more steps. And MF has to be one of the most boring stats in an ARPG.

I'm not even sure what fundamental gameplay an economy adds to an ARPG aside from "this is an awesome piece of gear...for someone else". Even then, the amount of effort GGG has and continues to put into support an economy and balancing around it...that can't be worth it?

This is why PoE, or any game really, needs competition. Here's your game without the archaic bullshit you can't seem to let go of.

• 1Ding!

Caeden

Players with too much free time misconstrue economy farming for character investment. There is certainly a gear level you need to get your build to in order to farm fractured deli maps, but it was only worthwhile because of the economy. No one in SSF farmed those maps because there's no one to sell your miscellaneous drops to.

You didn't gear up your character to defeat some difficult content. You geared him up to farm. It's MF with many more steps. And MF has to be one of the most boring stats in an ARPG.

I'm not even sure what fundamental gameplay an economy adds to an ARPG aside from "this is an awesome piece of gear...for someone else". Even then, the amount of effort GGG has and continues to put into support an economy and balancing around it...that can't be worth it?

This is why PoE, or any game really, needs competition. Here's your game without the archaic bullshit you can't seem to let go of.
Granted it’s been years and years since D2 but I don’t recall “enjoying” the economy or even basing my play or enjoyment around it. It’s easily my least favorite part of PoE.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Granted it’s been years and years since D2 but I don’t recall “enjoying” the economy or even basing my play or enjoyment around it. It’s easily my least favorite part of PoE.
I never participated in d2jsp either. I was much more of a "oh, this looks cool", boots up item editor. Perhaps a self indictment, perhaps an indictment of D2's endgame, idk, I was a dumb teenager. And now I'm a slightly less dumb adult. But I think in both scenarios, endgame economy grinding is a poor excuse for character investment. As is the "it's a hallmark of arpgs!".

• 1Like

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Hence why a ton of people were angry at the Harvest nerf; why farm endgame content for currency to buy upgrades when we had the joy of farming upgrades for ourselves?
That really depends on how you approach the game. As it was, self-crafting was not the optimal choice - a third party trade community was. Last league, you either got involved in trade discord, invested a LOT more time on your own for a similar result to being active on discord, or simply missed out. Truly the last thing I want is more "mandatory" things to deal with outside the game. I'm barely ok with the trade site, adding discord is the one step too much for me.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Their tradesite is complete shit. Buying low end items or recently listed items is the biggest crapshoot there is in this game. I'd rather fucking ex slam for explosion mod chests than try and buy fusings for chaos. I never touched that Discord trading shit, but a lot of people did and made a lot of exalts from it. We even had a guy who basically farmed rep and whored peoples harvest crafts. He got the rep and they got the money.

That said, a lot of it wasn't so bad if you were in a guild of non-shitlords. We'd always do a "anyone have aug X or a remove Y" and of course 35% of the time it'd come back with "Yes, but I want it for me, eat a dick." But most of the time we'd work something out. Or we'd have a watch list for people making GGG items looking for their lightning slams for their HOWA jugg god builds and whatever. When used like this the Harvest crafts were retardedly overpowered. Like, I don't think I ever bought a piece of gear that wasn't then Harvest crafted on. And I ran like 6 builds last league and probably like 9 builds in Harvest. It was just too much.

BUT

If you're a casual player without a poopsock guild or SSF, Harvest was the way. We had people play SSF during Harvest league because everything was possible. We had motherfuckers going to 100 as Raider Spec Throw 2handed Maces. Just say that out loud. Ridiculous. It was great. I wanted to test all sorts of bonk builds where I needed life gain on hit for spells on double curse rings to kill any Guardian, and by golly, I fucking got them. And with the resists and life I needed!

This is the problem with Harvest. On one end it trivializes the entire gearing and RNG system of the game when you use Discords or mega guilds for trading. On the other end it makes the game MUCH MUCH more enjoyable and playable for casual people. Honestly I think Harvest is still better than 95% of people give it credit for, but I've seen 1 6-link recipe, 0 augs, and not much else special in the close to 50-100 Harvests I've already done. It's at a weird balance point right now. I think the occurence rate of Harvest, especially in Haework/Proxima is fucking spot on. I get them all the time and they're worthwhile for the most part for cluster jewels, influenced jewelry, etc. However the big ticket crafts are basically non-existant. There are so many people who'd kill for that one Aug attack for their 3 notable cluster jewel or Aug life for their neck to be worthwhile. It sucks knowing they're out there, but even if you target farm them you'll have more pieces queued up for a craft than you'll ever get the crafts for. I'm sitting on a Devastator/Overlord cluster jewel I just need an aug attack or aug phys on to make a 10-20ex cluster that I want to USE, but at this rate I wouldn't see an aug that would work for probably 2-3 more weeks.

TL:DR Harvest is still omega good, but the changes are fucking the low end/casual guys more than they're punishing the high end/poopsocker guys. Not sure what they do about it, honestly, I'm guessing they look at aug values and up them a bit. They could do a whole bunch of weird shit like convert Oshabi drops to a random Aug when you get enough or allow you to save up reforges 50:1 for an aug or something, but in the end they just need to put augs in at acceptable level.

If they do that and reddit still QQs that it's not good enough and they need to slam influenced items to make their mandatory explodey chests, well, fuck em. Leave it as is. PoE Reddit is the whinest bunch of bleeding pussies I've ever met in a video game community.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
TL:DR Harvest is still omega good, but the changes are fucking the low end/casual guys more than they're punishing the high end/poopsocker guys.

The problem is that there are 100x more low end/casuals that they are screwing over to punish a few thousand too level players.

I used the trade site far less in leagues with Harvest; how could that possibly be a bad thing?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

The problem with explodey is that half the skills in the game or more feel like shit without it. I’d rather that mod go away and add better supports.

or better yet...get the new gem system in so I can run clear and ST links easier.
I also think the “everything can be a 6L” style they showed was stupid. I think actives that are used to attack mobs should be 6L, but they need to limit other skills in terms of links. Maybe it showed that. But you do not need a 6L shield charge. There’s gotta be some trade offs.