Path of Exile

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
if you are just hitting rare maps you are probably not ready to start farming nem3 but if you want to try Empyrian has a good video on how to set it up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Someone explain what I'm missing.

I was looking into Animate Weapon builds. I generally dislike minion builds because, even if only rarely, they fight the wrong things or hold me back from clearing faster, I get really annoyed. Swarm minions builds like Dominating Blow and Arakaali's Dagger mostly smooths this out but have problems of their own. Fighting bosses with those builds is a giant pain in the dick.

Animate Weapon gets around this, you can summon them any time you want by creating lingering blades.

Which then lead me to remember they added Gravebind this patch. Arakaali's Fang is whole lot easier on bosses if you can just desecrate, writhing jar, and then not care what killed the worms. A lot of builds are using Hydrosphere though. WTF for? The internet says you can splash off hydrosphere onto a boss. Melee splash support, which you use for clearing anyway, becomes a 60% more with Hydrosphere, no more need to switch gems. Divergent 100% more.

I guess this makes sense. They changed strike skills to have tiny aoe. But why isn't this more wide spread. Shouldn't every strike build be doing this? Or is melee splash support that outdated that no one uses it in favor of extra strike targets and prolif?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What strike skills even exist that get played that could use melee splash? Ain't no one running around out there playing double strike or anything like that.

Lightning strike can't use it, flicker can and sometimes uses it but the hydrosphere interaction is irrelevant because you can't control it. Glacial hammer maybe could utilize it? But that tends to run the dual unique jewels for splash anyway, and also sucks.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough. ~75% of the people using melee splash support and hydrosphere are main skilling flicker strike ;)

Maybe this interaction is more niche than I thought. I don't understand your comment on control, you're only busting it out for single target.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Assuming flicker will target and teleport you to the hydrosphere that has to just be cancer right? On any boss that moves even slightly the sphere is just constantly gonna be out of range and sending you off to the middle of nowhere.

What the fuck do I know though, that's apparently what people like about flicker strike lol.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
What strike skills even exist that get played that could use melee splash? Ain't no one running around out there playing double strike or anything like that.

Lightning strike can't use it, flicker can and sometimes uses it but the hydrosphere interaction is irrelevant because you can't control it. Glacial hammer maybe could utilize it? But that tends to run the dual unique jewels for splash anyway, and also sucks.
Smite and boneshatter maybe? Static strike? Seen a few of those builds this league, but I wouldn't call them POPULAR by any stretch.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Divergent Melee Splash btw is a really good way to go if you HAVE to use it with a skill like Flicker or melee Frenzy. The quality on it reduces the penalty from it to 0. Was much more useful before they added a bunch of additional strike options, but still good for those who might need it.

It's funny seeing Flicker Strike come up as a big time ability. It's basically just braindead insane clear and if you're good geared it can burst bosses, but there's SO many downsides its kind of funny. I used to play them and get fucking owned on the Omnitect in Temple of Atzoatal because it has a degen ONLY in the dead center of it and that's where flicker takes you. Great times. I can't imagine flickering near Arc Bois and getting exploded too. At least most of them seem to be using Replical Farruls with Frenzy = Endurance ascendancy so they get mega leech and some nice mitigation.

GGG should be due for the 1 month QoL patch, but for Expedition they didn't seem to do much at that time. Wonder if they're happy with it or just putting all in resources into the Atlas Revamp and saying fuck it. Looking at Steam #'s it's got a big drop from the initial release, but higher retention for the people who stuck it out after the 2 week phase compared to Expedition. Still low numbers overall, but seems like the people invested in are sticking it out. Doesn't surprise me, early Scourge felt worse than Expedition for most characters who weren't built for defense. Once people figured "OH ARMOR, DUH" think it helped a lot of people tough it out, but early on I think everyone was trying to stack DPS because of the gem nerfs last season and were just setting themselves up for big hurt.

I burnt out early once I made a build (conc path chieftain totems) that could do everything. I even made it do more damage than my build last league by like 30%+. I just haven't had an experimental urge except some Energy Blade shenanigans, but I think most of the PoEBrainers are working on that so I may just see if a decently affordable build thats fun hits with those. Mathil seems like he saw big potential and may make at least one more EB character. I really, really want to see something with EB and Battlemage done by one of the pros.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Assuming flicker will target and teleport you to the hydrosphere that has to just be cancer right? On any boss that moves even slightly the sphere is just constantly gonna be out of range and sending you off to the middle of nowhere.

What the fuck do I know though, that's apparently what people like about flicker strike lol.
You can't auto target hydrosphere, it's not an enemy. The hydrosphere gets placed on top of the target and happens to get hit by the strike targeting the boss, splashing onto the boss. You are correct that if the boss moves so that the strike's cone doesn't also hit the hydrosphere, it's a waste.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Dumb question time. General's cry and shield crush. I see all the builds using corpsewalker boots. What are they using before they can use those in the 50's? I've never used either skill just saw a few videos, I did like the one that was listed as a good starter build, 50 to 75ex lol.

Last edited:

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
I finally hit red maps this league and have been following the typical leap frog Atlas guide collecting the watch stones. Still don't know what the fuck I am doing with them eventually but I am chasing them.

I am a Necromancer Skeleton Mage summoner and also learned how to use Path of Building and understand the difference between the various builds pulled from Reddit, POE forums, and POE ninja builds section. Holy fuck that program is amazing.

I've had three Exalted Orbs dropped, so I used Path of Building to find the biggest upgrade and spent some in trade to get a 6L chest for the build. I've worked my way back up to almost 2 exalted orbs (will try Exilence Next to make sure I am not missing something delicious to sell) and trying to decide if I want to keep investing in this summoner or make another build - that is my current challenging choice.

I didn't win the IRL lottery today so hopefully I get some more exalted orbs in game. Overall, I enjoy the game now that I am understanding it more - even when I press "V" and immediately get a large parking cone with spikes propelled by a rocket into my ass.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'll save you the $10:

A scourge mob on fucking crack hit you for 10,000 when you had 182 stacks

That seems to be about the only thing I die to now.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I was one bar from 91, came home after a month away and playing on my legion 5 laptop

Loaded it up on my desktop and died because it's 5 years old and suddenly I was noticing insane frame rate drops, said fuck this and loaded it on laptop

Kept dying and ended up back at 50% blaming out on not being used to playing on my ultra wide and being tired

I guess I've been lucky loot wise, got a 6l chest whilst leveling and an exalted orb, have got a few more since

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'll save you the $10:

A scourge mob on fucking crack hit you for 10,000 when you had 182 stacks

That seems to be about the only thing I die to now.

In an odd sort of way the stack counter is your death recap.

WHAT THE FUCK KILLED ME oh shit that was a lot of stacks this map had crit multi on it. Yeah, I probably deserved to die there.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Definetly need to keep an eye on your map mods and set a stack limit on yourself.

On another note this helmet was blessed. Getting accuracy raiting per strength with another influence mod with strenght essence was probably 1/100 or worse but i got on my 3d essence i think, Maven orb was 50/50 obviously. 1/3 for t1 crit multi, random T2 life and random T2 ele damage.

1637261697990.png

and then i fail a rougly 50/50 multiple times on my aisling reveal for my chest where i want life as ES

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Half my deaths are obvious. Generally those deaths are in 150+ scourge T16 maps. It's the other deaths I scratch my head over.

Couple days ago I died after an apparent ice nova from a blue box. Can those hit that hard? I have 100% spell suppression with 53% mitigation. The corpse explosion boxes are at least kinda obvious. I don't read mods on T16 maps anymore but opening strongboxes terrifies me; and if I survive the opening the result is generally nothing that matches my lootfilter so perhaps I need to train myself to not click.

Had Sirus drop an insta-kill meteor on my head after rejoining the fight from a previous death. Zero que or warning or maze or anything just death a second after I ran up to him. I give Sirus to my friend now. Fuck that fight. It's obvious to me why I see so many Koreans playing this game: the end game boss fights are bullet hell shooters. (no offense, I <3 Koreans. thanks for selling me stuff)

Single random heist rares one-shotting me out of nowhere with 5.3hp 700 ES and steelskin on after I just waded through 20 blue/purple/yellow/unique mobs and blew them up in 2 seconds.

Explosions occurring after you kill the mobs seems to be a common phenomena in this game.

One-shot dying the same exact moment I kill a map boss seems to happen sometimes. (no apparent explosion)

Rarely I'll get a massive dot on me seemingly from nowhere. I'm running pathfinder concoction so I have infinite flasks, including perma health flasks, but if I didn't these would have killed me. Sometimes I can just sit there for many minutes using life flask repeatedly after everything is dead and the dot won't go away. Not in nightmare. Bug? (it's not a ground mod)

Catarina has this undodgeable ranged attack that was one-shotting me while she was off-screen. I'm probably geared enough now to survive it but it was aggravating. I find the boss mechanics unintuitive and confusing. Couldn't figure out what it was even after reading the wiki. 'Where is the massive a mount of damage coming from? I see nothing' is something I say playing PoE more than every other game combined.

Really really enjoying the game after having not played it in years (I highly recommend PoE and is a favorite) so I don't want be be a hater but I have to LOL at some of this. PoE really has this crazy/sexy vibe to it; the good parts are just so good. Scourge league's gimmick is brutal but also highly rewarding so I don't mind it too much. (although the corrupted scourge implicits are strangely stupid) Got a Doctor card a few days ago because div card farming is much more viable with scourge. Fun stuff.

Game is much more enjoyable if you pretend 96 is the last level.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Being lazy is a big one. Toxic rain and not notice I rolled a map immune to chaos or whatever.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Half my deaths are obvious. Generally those deaths are in 150+ scourge T16 maps. It's the other deaths I scratch my head over.

Couple days ago I died after an apparent ice nova from a blue box. Can those hit that hard? I have 100% spell suppression with 53% mitigation. The corpse explosion boxes are at least kinda obvious. I don't read mods on T16 maps anymore but opening strongboxes terrifies me; and if I survive the opening the result is generally nothing that matches my lootfilter so perhaps I need to train myself to not click.

Had Sirus drop an insta-kill meteor on my head after rejoining the fight from a previous death. Zero que or warning or maze or anything just death a second after I ran up to him. I give Sirus to my friend now. Fuck that fight. It's obvious to me why I see so many Koreans playing this game: the end game boss fights are bullet hell shooters. (no offense, I <3 Koreans. thanks for selling me stuff)

Single random heist rares one-shotting me out of nowhere with 5.3hp 700 ES and steelskin on after I just waded through 20 blue/purple/yellow/unique mobs and blew them up in 2 seconds.

Explosions occurring after you kill the mobs seems to be a common phenomena in this game.

One-shot dying the same exact moment I kill a map boss seems to happen sometimes. (no apparent explosion)

Rarely I'll get a massive dot on me seemingly from nowhere. I'm running pathfinder concoction so I have infinite flasks, including perma health flasks, but if I didn't these would have killed me. Sometimes I can just sit there for many minutes using life flask repeatedly after everything is dead and the dot won't go away. Not in nightmare. Bug? (it's not a ground mod)

Catarina has this undodgeable ranged attack that was one-shotting me while she was off-screen. I'm probably geared enough now to survive it but it was aggravating. I find the boss mechanics unintuitive and confusing. Couldn't figure out what it was even after reading the wiki. 'Where is the massive a mount of damage coming from? I see nothing' is something I say playing PoE more than every other game combined.

Really really enjoying the game after having not played it in years (I highly recommend PoE and is a favorite) so I don't want be be a hater but I have to LOL at some of this. PoE really has this crazy/sexy vibe to it; the good parts are just so good. Scourge league's gimmick is brutal but also highly rewarding so I don't mind it too much. (although the corrupted scourge implicits are strangely stupid) Got a Doctor card a few days ago because div card farming is much more viable with scourge. Fun stuff.

Game is much more enjoyable if you pretend 96 is the last level.
My last couple of deaths I can only attribute to miniscule lag.

I have 7,000 hps and middling armor and block. I have a ton of leech and hp regen. 78-80% resists, some damage conversion to fire. When I die I look at the screen and think to myself there isn't enough there to kill me, even if it overlaps. I can only attribute that to some buffered damage adding up on me or something.

I dunno, I've lost the will to min/max so maybe it is just shit defenses. Me being lazy is a probably a perfect excuse for my every death.