Path of Exile

Xevy

Log Wizard
Half my deaths are obvious. Generally those deaths are in 150+ scourge T16 maps. It's the other deaths I scratch my head over.

Couple days ago I died after an apparent ice nova from a blue box. Can those hit that hard? I have 100% spell suppression with 53% mitigation. The corpse explosion boxes are at least kinda obvious. I don't read mods on T16 maps anymore but opening strongboxes terrifies me; and if I survive the opening the result is generally nothing that matches my lootfilter so perhaps I need to train myself to not click.

Had Sirus drop an insta-kill meteor on my head after rejoining the fight from a previous death. Zero que or warning or maze or anything just death a second after I ran up to him. I give Sirus to my friend now. Fuck that fight. It's obvious to me why I see so many Koreans playing this game: the end game boss fights are bullet hell shooters. (no offense, I <3 Koreans. thanks for selling me stuff)

Single random heist rares one-shotting me out of nowhere with 5.3hp 700 ES and steelskin on after I just waded through 20 blue/purple/yellow/unique mobs and blew them up in 2 seconds.

Explosions occurring after you kill the mobs seems to be a common phenomena in this game.

One-shot dying the same exact moment I kill a map boss seems to happen sometimes. (no apparent explosion)

Rarely I'll get a massive dot on me seemingly from nowhere. I'm running pathfinder concoction so I have infinite flasks, including perma health flasks, but if I didn't these would have killed me. Sometimes I can just sit there for many minutes using life flask repeatedly after everything is dead and the dot won't go away. Not in nightmare. Bug? (it's not a ground mod)

Catarina has this undodgeable ranged attack that was one-shotting me while she was off-screen. I'm probably geared enough now to survive it but it was aggravating. I find the boss mechanics unintuitive and confusing. Couldn't figure out what it was even after reading the wiki. 'Where is the massive a mount of damage coming from? I see nothing' is something I say playing PoE more than every other game combined.

Really really enjoying the game after having not played it in years (I highly recommend PoE and is a favorite) so I don't want be be a hater but I have to LOL at some of this. PoE really has this crazy/sexy vibe to it; the good parts are just so good. Scourge league's gimmick is brutal but also highly rewarding so I don't mind it too much. (although the corrupted scourge implicits are strangely stupid) Got a Doctor card a few days ago because div card farming is much more viable with scourge. Fun stuff.

Game is much more enjoyable if you pretend 96 is the last level.
Classic PoE. Thousands of hours and its basically the same for me. 96 is where I've "beaten the game" most leagues. A lot of people I play with get to 100 but they usually boost by buying pure breachstones and doing runs etc because actually mapping solo to 100 is rough if you die even once or twice. We do have some one who plays SSF and has been top 5 Ascendancy to 100 a few times, but it basically breaks him for the league.

Sirus is buggy. Always has been, always will be. I've had him run OUT of his own arena then DIE beam me. I was streaming when people were watching me the other day and his abilities were 2x speed when he was floating. That was a new one. The teleport into a meteor with no maze I've had before. The DIE beam BEFORE audio cues is also a classic. He's just the worst but once you get a good character for him and get to farming him it actually FEELS good. The loot, not so much anymore.

Heist is very interesting. Aura stacking rares happens a lot so you just get some extra crit/haste/extra phys mob pummel you. People are also alleging there's mobs in there with Resolute Technique so they can't be avoided. I'm not sure but playing a million Raiders through the last few leagues I would believe it. Some of the shit there is phys spells too which tend to fuck people up if they don't have endurance charges or raw phys mit.

Catarina thing: I didn't know it, but have died to it a lot as well. I was watching either Mathil or Ziz do her and what she does is she puts down her Cane, and during that time the more you RUN the bigger the damage is on you. So basically whenever the audio is called (I don't remember which) you just don't move and it won't do much damage to you. Very unintuitive and I'm sure HC players loved figuring that out first hand.

Oh and Ice Nova boxes will definitely one shot you sometimes even with 80% cold res and 6k+hp. They were the #1 murderer of HC players for a long time. They also scale with map mods so if you get increased AE you better haul ass after clicking it. I think with 75% cold res the normal box hits for like 4k damage before any modifiers. Dying to explosions could be certain Detonate Dead mobs (Stygian Revenants, the black boney spiders do it) or explode boxes. If you're on a boss that somehow gets detonated, you're dead. It does millions of damage. There's very, very few situations where that can occur anymore, thankfully.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
There is no immune to chaos mod.
I've encountered some mobs that were immune to chaos damage and were unkillable to me. Not from a map mod though. Oddly they had 'vulnerable to chaos damage' on them. I assume it's a bug. I find these from expeditions, but may have found this in delve once as well. Is there a reason to do expeditions? They seem highly unrewarding and annoying.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've encountered some mobs that were immune to chaos damage and were unkillable to me. Not from a map mod though. Oddly they had 'vulnerable to chaos damage' on them. I assume it's a bug. I find these from expeditions, but may have found this in delve once as well. Is there a reason to do expeditions? They seem highly unrewarding and annoying.

I've started skipping them

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You made the immune from one of the remnants within expedition. I guess there are some immune mods, but I guess I meant ones where you didn't have a choice.

Delve? Maybe they were far enough into the darkness to be immune.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider

Hopefully this means Scourge is not going core.

Scourge should go core though. It's one of the best in-map mechanics they've come up with. Sure, it should be tuned down. But, another layer of added mob density is nice. Scourging of maps and gear would be better if they gave us an option similar to the unveiling system. The bosses should be changed to only drop uniques with t3 scourge mods.

I really hope at least one of the TBA events skips the entire 1-70 leveling. Why would anyone want to do four fresh league start events?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Scourge should go core though. It's one of the best in-map mechanics they've come up with. Sure, it should be tuned down. But, another layer of added mob density is nice. Scourging of maps and gear would be better if they gave us an option similar to the unveiling system. The bosses should be changed to only drop uniques with t3 scourge mods.

I really hope at least one of the TBA events skips the entire 1-70 leveling. Why would anyone want to do four fresh league start events?
There's a lot of easy QoL Scourge changes they could be making right now. That they aren't makes me worried and would have me prefer they not make it go core.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
There's a lot of easy QoL Scourge changes they could be making right now. That they aren't makes me worried and would have me prefer they not make it go core.
Ya. I expected them to have a home run league with timely patches. Instead, they are focusing time and attention on the events.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

this league was built for me, and it's probably the first time i've gone long in a poe league in 3 or 4 years

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Fought Sirus for first time earlier, don't think I even managed to start the actual encounter before losing all my portals.

Apparently you're meant to unsocket all watchstones before summoning his portals, to start at a lower difficulty tier instead of Awakening-8?

Not sure if time required to keep progressing in levels is worth it - I can get some bars into 91 and then end up back at 0 from Conqueror fights, or random deaths in maps. A lot of the time I don't even know I'm fighting a boss/orange name mob because there's so much stuff on screen.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I have this helm.

1637360383866.png

And I want to keep crafting it. What would be the best way? I was thinking I could first Crusader slam for either a chance at max lightning res or phys as lightning. But wanted some input.

1637360341617.png

EDIT: Or maybe start with Harvest augment defense for chance at hybrid life, then slam Crusader Orb

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Damn it the hat enchant is area of effect? Now I gotta go get one of those. That skill has felt a little better with each jump in that stat I've been able to pick up.

Xevy

Log Wizard
So I have this helm.

View attachment 383409

And I want to keep crafting it. What would be the best way? I was thinking I could first Crusader slam for either a chance at max lightning res or phys as lightning. But wanted some input.

View attachment 383408

EDIT: Or maybe start with Harvest augment defense for chance at hybrid life, then slam Crusader Orb
Pretty much what you described. I think you'd actually aug life if they're not ridiculously overpriced and that should guarantee a hybrid life/es roll. Again, no idea what Aug prices are but I'm sure aug life is pretty expensive. After that you just slam away and your odds are probably getting max mana or phys as lightning based on weights, but you never know. Just make sure to close your eyes when you slam it.

The helmet you have seems rather unremarkable to begin with so honestly you MIGHT want to look for cheaper Crusader helms with the stat already there. I know you have the PF enchant, but depending on the lab days it's actually pretty worth it to slam a bunch of labs (with or without twice enchanted) if you bring the right base items for excess enchants. I ran like ~5-10 one day without twice enchanted and doing 0 darkshrines trying to get a boot enchant and my guildmate gave me a bunch of 86/unique bases and together we netted about 10-15 ex worth of enchanted helms. I hit Toxic Rain and Herald of Thunder reservation for the big monies.

But if you wanna just go with it, yeah. Aug life ---> slam. TBH with that base if it goes poorly just use Attack rerolls on it in Harvest and you've got a good chance at getting your helm back (depending on Crusader Suffixes) because the only inherent Attack rolls on helms are Accuracy and Global Accuracy.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're probably right in not putting too much stock in crafting it. I think a better helmet, that wouldn't be too hard to craft, trades the res for -chaos res nearby enemies on a hunter base.

Still if I get a crusader orb I'll yolo for the 50/50 on the decent slam

Xevy

Log Wizard
Mathil's Absolution build (really Kripparian's) is hilarious. A "dead" skill that is just fucking obliterating bosses. Clear looks meh, but man that single target.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I leveled with that skill all last league and it was cool and it stayed my elemental equilibrum button but the entire duration. I tried it as a main skill a couple times after and I just don't like spell echo.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Spell Echo is a noob trap most of the time. Since the repeats don't retarget like Multistrike, you're wasting time repeating a targetable skill into an already cleared area. If your skill isn't a targetable AE, maybe Spell Echo makes more sense. You still have to overcome the other downside of being locked in place for longer than without.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Scourge's density is absolutely nuts. Non-deli mirror Tower maps have upwards of 1500 mobs on each of their four floors (more than entire maps had until just a few years ago). It took less than 300 maps(rusted scarabs, sextants, 90%+IIQ) to farm all the cards for a HH. When I first farmed a HH in Harbinger one could go 300 BCs between Doctor cards.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users