Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Ruthless was never, ever going to be for me but as implemented I'm not sure it's really for anyone. Reading through the announcement you can plainly identify a number of changes that boil down to artificial time sinks relabeled as difficulty increases. Trying to cobble together a character with scraps and scotch tape would appeal to some but a scaling exp penalty from 68 onward combined with slower gem exp sounds awful.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Ruthless is basically closed beta PoE. No crafting, gems were all dropped, currency was rare as fuck, maps only went to like level 71 and were rare as fuck, 6 links unheard of, 5 links nearly unheard of, and uniques had downsides because the sheer amount of power you got with each one. It's just basically a return to what this started as and seeing if people really want it (no) compared to the mega loot fest that it is now and people still bitch out when they see a 11% decrease in drops or something.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Kinda reads like sadistic april fools day patch notes.

Like, I know it's not taking much resources and it's completely isolated from the main game. But the same people that are passionate about this are also making decisions about the main game. How is not going to at least color expectation and reactions?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that's bashing your dick in a car door weird/dumb. For a second I thought that was the next league concept and went noooooope.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really looking forward to Ruthless. A game where you don't just filter out 99.9% of the drops. PoE was a lot better in the old days before speed and efficiency became the only things that mattered.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm really looking forward to Ruthless. A game where you don't just filter out 99.9% of the drops. PoE was a lot better in the old days before speed and efficiency became the only things that mattered.

Yep, it'll be like playing back before fun mattered, too.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, it'll be like playing back before fun mattered, too.

Different strokes for different folks. Current PoE, and basically everything since Harvest league, is shit to me. It's an ARPG where the loot doesn't matter anymore outside of currency dropped so you can craft your gear. Defeats the entire basis of the ARPG genre. If Ruthless returns to those foundations, I'm all for it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, those are fair points, but baby and bath water, you know.

Progression is going to be so slow it will lead to hyper burnout.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Why would you want to play a game with a significant pillar of gameplay/progression/fun based around LOOT..........with severely limited loot?

There is a fine line between needing a loot filter to get rid of the 1000 worthless items that drop because PoE has no idea how to toe a line of quality versus quality......and not being able to use a filter because those whites may be your best drops.

Again, this mode is streamer niche and for masochists like Byr (love you!)......or the few who are looking for some sort of fresh challenge. It is not made for 99.999% of the player base.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Almost as if part of the game if not the entire game is being tailored around poeple that play the game for a living.

• 1Truth!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone happen to have a forbidden flesh pair sitting around for Blitz?

Decided I wanna do some more challenges but holy god is it dead and I can't even find them for sale currently.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks to a rapid decline in player retention and the crutch that is the player economy, PoE leagues now come with the exciting pressure to achieve your goals before it collapses.

I wonder if they realized this and that's why 38 was easier than 36 in most previous leagues.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heh I only need to do like 2 more challenges but yea it's looking rough.

Someone give me all their divines so I can pay the 50 divine pricetag this fag wants for the only forbidden flesh for sale that I need.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's a lot of good in these notes. Life, crit multi, and some ailment stat from a rare jewel will be good. Get three(?) and now you're shock immune. I see that being worthwhile investment.

However, what I don't see mentioned is the flipside of "there's a lot of shit unique jewels". Yes, there sure are. Relative to the amount of jewel sockets a typical build gets, there's also far too many good ones. Small cluster jewels, what are those?

Watcher's Eye
Thread of Hope
Impossible Escape
Forbidden Flame/Flesh
Threshold Jewels(going away?)
Timeless Keystone Jewels
Grand Spectrums added just this patch

Those jewels fit easily into most builds. A good portion still use Melding of the Flesh or Inspired Learning.

• 1Truth!

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
There's a lot of good in these notes. Life, crit multi, and some ailment stat from a rare jewel will be good. Get three(?) and now you're shock immune. I see that being worthwhile investment.

However, what I don't see mentioned is the flipside of "there's a lot of shit unique jewels". Yes, there sure are. Relative to the amount of jewel sockets a typical build gets, there's also far too many good ones. Small cluster jewels, what are those?

Watcher's Eye
Thread of Hope
Impossible Escape
Forbidden Flame/Flesh
Threshold Jewels(going away?)
Timeless Keystone Jewels
Grand Spectrums added just this patch

Those jewels fit easily into most builds. A good portion still use Melding of the Flesh or Inspired Learning.
Excellent point.

This new crop has to be at least on that power level with all of the competition for jewel slots there is, without even counting rares/abysses just for stats.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well at the end-end game people were all about buying levels 98-100 to get that extra jewel socket to get that 45% crit multi jewel with life or whatever that ended up giving like 25% dps for some builds. So there's always been room for exceptional jewels. Harvest made them brain-dead to make, too.

I read these notes and think "hmm, interesting" but know deep, deep down Reddit is going to lose their shit because that one dumb motherfucker uses Static Electricity in their shit 50 divine 4m dps build and they remove it and then unleash the torrent of 6,000 word essays on how GGG ruined "their experience" because they were balancing for "racers, streamers, and the elite" or some dumb shit.

I also know for sure that there going to be some oversight and they're going to remove some fairly important shit on accident like clear mind or fevered mind or some shit that has like 0.001% use on PoE Ninja but is crucial in leveling/starting some builds.