Path of Exile

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol this is some prime rustling. What have we done.

All the guys who couldn't finish red maps have come out the woodwork. All because we dared mention this game in a different thread. What a bunch of faggots.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The price of currency in PoE is controlled by it's value in crafting items. Divines price is dictated not only by their drop rate but also their function within the game, and it is that exact function that keeps them from rocketing to an unaffordable nonsense number. This is true of all the various currencies to one degree or another.

Despite people just throwing up their hands and going "lol its just gambling" that is fortunately and demonstrably not true and underpins the entire trade economy and keeps it (relatively) healthy.

I can't believe I'm actually trying to explain this to fucking wizardhawk AND lumie holy shit i need to go touch some grass

Xevy

Log Wizard
I mean, he's kind of right in that the inherit use of chaos is more or less gambling except no blue/unique outcome. But he's wrong in the fact that it's also used as the B tier crafting mat and people can go through dozens, even hundreds trying to get something like a 8/8 life/mana roll on their chest.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or.... you just sell your chaos for divines as needed (or the reverse), and you can fit... pages of divines in the trade window.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I mean, even EQ had to create Nobles, a giga-currency to convert their massive amounts of platinum into a single item because the game literally couldn't store/trade it. And Krono is a similar idea to a lesser extent.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
The price of currency in PoE is controlled by it's value in crafting items. Divines price is dictated not only by their drop rate but also their function within the game, and it is that exact function that keeps them from rocketing to an unaffordable nonsense number. This is true of all the various currencies to one degree or another.

Despite people just throwing up their hands and going "lol its just gambling" that is fortunately and demonstrably not true and underpins the entire trade economy and keeps it (relatively) healthy.

I can't believe I'm actually trying to explain this to fucking wizardhawk AND lumie holy shit i need to go touch some grass
My point was, can you trade chaos for anything in the game? Because with gold you can without needing to up trade shit.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My point was, can you trade chaos for anything in the game? Because with gold you can without needing to up trade shit.
Except value is only tied to one thing, and statically.

Supply and demand is non existant because everything comes from a vendor.

Thus means the market is controlled heavily by the developers.

How can you be this stupid. You could explain this to 8th grade economics student. Your gold system is far away from the fiat system the world uses. The PoE barter system is much more dynamic and fluid then static gold systems used in Blizzard games. You're basically using commie bucks.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Lol this is some prime rustling. What have we done.

All the guys who couldn't finish red maps have come out the woodwork. All because we dared mention this game in a different thread. What a bunch of faggots.
Lol finishing red maps is an accomplishment? My bad, I didn't realize that PoE was like the special Olympics of video games where trivial tasks are considered momentous achievements.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry I forgot your a fucking master at the game. You came into this during syndicate and did everything you could in end game without following a single guide.

Blizzard games are much more challenging and fulfilling.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I mean, he's kind of right in that the inherit use of chaos is more or less gambling except no blue/unique outcome. But he's wrong in the fact that it's also used as the B tier crafting mat and people can go through dozens, even hundreds trying to get something like a 8/8 life/mana roll on their chest.

Which also kind of supports the point that the intial "vision" of the currencies is no longer valid and even the PoE devs feel that way. All the crafting in the game now is not done by using the currencies for their original purposes, they're just "gold" that you use on the crafting bench to buy the item you want. When's the last time anyone but me ever exalt slammed? Years ago people were making fun of me in the guild for being stupid enough to do it and that was before crafting became even more deterministic and easy because even back then it was "just use those 20 exalts to buy your perfect set instead of slamming 20 bricks and having nothing" and now it's "Just use harvest bench and master bench to craft an item that is only beat by a 1 in 10,000,000,000 roll".

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I mean, even EQ had to create Nobles, a giga-currency to convert their massive amounts of platinum into a single item because the game literally couldn't store/trade it. And Krono is a similar idea to a lesser extent.
I'd be willing to be there are people with probably millions of chaos/exalts/divines sitting in 10s of thousands of extract only stash tabs in standard league by this point in time. I feel like there might have been some mention of issues relating to moving everything to standard in the past in PoE and all the bloat too but maybe not, definitely don't take this as a statement of fact.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which also kind of supports the point that the intial "vision" of the currencies is no longer valid and even the PoE devs feel that way. All the crafting in the game now is not done by using the currencies for their original purposes, they're just "gold" that you use on the crafting bench to buy the item you want. When's the last time anyone but me ever exalt slammed? Years ago people were making fun of me in the guild for being stupid enough to do it and that was before crafting became even more deterministic and easy because even back then it was "just use those 20 exalts to buy your perfect set instead of slamming 20 bricks and having nothing" and now it's "Just use harvest bench and master bench to craft an item that is only beat by a 1 in 10,000,000,000 roll".
Every currency is used for its intended purpose for crafting. Chaos spamming is a totally valid way of getting good affixes on a base to start crafting. Chaos is mainly dumped via the map device and crafting bench. I probably spend way more chaos on my map device then I do trading. Which is why you will see chaos prices fluctuate based on the map device options of the league.

Also exalt slams are a thing. They didn't used to be, their value was determined by meta crafting.

Keep proving how much you don't know though.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Exalt slams were a thing, but not for poors. Now divine rolling uniques with Divines is a much, much, MUCH lesser thing, but still a thing for non-poors. Most players would never exalt slam anything, but most players never had more than 5 exalts at once.

Interestingly enough, with the rotation of exalts out and divines in to the top currency people slam shit like crazy now. So many 3 prop jewels/clusters getting slammed now that would have just remained 3 prop forever for most people.

But again the currency is worth using as currency under the right circumstances, but the likelihood of that happening only goes up with knowledge and already accumulated wealth. There's probably a near exact bell curve where the 10% clueless noobs divine uniques and then 80% don't and then the other 10% of top players use them.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yes, exalts and divines switching places makes exalt slams a lot more common, agreed. It only took 9 years or a bit more (not sure when exactly the divine/exalt swap happened) for exalts to be considered for use by any significant amount of players. Even then, as you mentioned jewels, i'd agree that's where the vast majority of them are probably going as opposed to gear slots.

Yes, there have always been a few players in PoE that use currency for its effect, but the vast majority have always just saved it up as "gold" and used it to buy the things they want, whether that's map device options or crafting bench options or just buying items from trade, and often those players said anyone who actually used the currency was an idiot for doing so.

Is it really a great and innovative system if its only worth using for the top 1% and for everyone else they should just treat it as gold?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The last time I saw wizardhawk online in PoE was before the divine/exalt swap and he raw dog slammed some stupid 2h staff with maybe a 1/500 success chance and when it failed he reee'd out of existence and vaal'd all his gear never to be seen again.

• 2Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Sorry I forgot your a fucking master at the game. You came into this during syndicate and did everything you could in end game without following a single guide.

Blizzard games are much more challenging and fulfilling.
I hit masters in LoL and GM many seasons in HoTS. Do you have any fucking idea how much harder that is than any content PoE has to offer? PoE isn't hard to someone that actually plays a fuck ton of games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
The last league I played before sanctum I was playing stone golems and I cleared 100% of content many times over and had hundreds of exalts worth of gear sitting in my stash on top of what I was wearing.

I always vaaled all my stuff when I was done with any league. So do lots of people. Are you trying to prove some sort of point or something?

Xevy

Log Wizard
I hit masters in LoL and GM many seasons in HoTS. Do you have any fucking idea how much harder that is than any content PoE has to offer? PoE isn't hard to someone that actually plays a fuck ton of games.
Lul.