Path of Exile

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Didnt get in until almost 730 and by then I didn't have much time. I did get another "strongest monster in the pack drops div cards" which has been amazing with exiles, but I dont understand why Ive had this mod 4-5 times / multiple chaos mods / and STILL haven't seen any version of the divine mods or Div altars yet this league.

Makes me so angry, all I want is one of either and then I'm rollin strictly exarch from then on.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can’t recall a league with this much broken shit haha. I have to imagine ggg will need to patch again soon

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Anyone know why the int stacking wild strike trickster builds on poe.ninja are using trinity? There should be no way they are ever doing more cold damage than lightning damage so wouldn't they just always have 0 lightning resonance and make it a worthless gem?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lightning min damage roll is 1, any reasonable amount of flat cold on your weapon + flat cold from wild strike will make trinity work just fine.

Also don't play that build it fucking sucks unless you can afford nimis.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea that's the main issue. You can get to maybe ~3m without too much issue, but going any further than that really requires a nimis or some truly absurd levels of investment in to INT stack.

It sure feels good to clear with though, and trickster defenses with ~10k ES is so fat.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Lancing Steel of Spraying. As a damage skill, not a trigger skill. How dumb is this idea?

I was trying to come up with a build that fit all these criteria:
  • Leap Slam or Whirling Blades with at least *some* attack speed scaling.
  • Clearing potential greater than "melee + extra strikes"
  • Tanky
  • 5-10 divines.
I had to slap a budget limit on it as money solves almost all of these. Mageblood, for example, solves the first one. And technically, so does Pathfinder but god damn are those flask slots in high competition. I want 7-8 utility flasks on every Pathfinder I POB.

Not a whole lot fits those criteria. The best I came up with was spectral shield throw but the hit box on that skill fucking blows. So, I POBd Lancing Steel of Spraying with two templates: Rakiata's Dance/Heatshiver/Champion and Ephemeral Edge/Aegis Aurora/Trickster. They aren't bad, but maybe I'm missing something?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I think the main knock against lancing steel is gonna be, does it actually do anything better enough than splitting steel? I haven't bothered to check PoB, but I suspect it's damage ceiling is far, far lower. And while it doesn't have to hump bosses to really shine like splitting does, on either of those templates you listed that really isn't an issue.

Trickster ES ephemeral stack especially. You'd have to dive in to a sirus storm or something to die on those setups.

Check out fissure of snaking. With pulverize and sand stance it pretty reliably hits normal sized bosses like an average of 2.5 times. There's a bit of a weird 'ramp' period initially as your first few fissures move around and come back, but it's pretty minor. I doubt it has the single target of something like splitting steel, but the clear is 10/10, no strike or splash fuckery needed. The only real downside is having to be on axes/maces, which really limits your weapon options sadly, but at least it should be trivial to graveyard up some ridiculous tri-ele axe?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think the main knock against lancing steel is gonna be, does it actually do anything better enough than splitting steel? I haven't bothered to check PoB, but I suspect it's damage ceiling is far, far lower. And while it doesn't have to hump bosses to really shine like splitting does, on either of those templates you listed that really isn't an issue.

Trickster ES ephemeral stack especially. You'd have to dive in to a sirus storm or something to die on those setups.

Check out fissure of snaking. With pulverize and sand stance it pretty reliably hits normal sized bosses like an average of 2.5 times. There's a bit of a weird 'ramp' period initially as your first few fissures move around and come back, but it's pretty minor. I doubt it has the single target of something like splitting steel, but the clear is 10/10, no strike or splash fuckery needed. The only real downside is having to be on axes/maces, which really limits your weapon options sadly, but at least it should be trivial to graveyard up some ridiculous tri-ele axe?
Is that where you have to aim just behind the target, kinda like tornado shot?

It's a bit annoying that I recently came to the realization that the large majority of my PoBing centers around eliminating jank. Smooth movement skills, not standing around too long, not too many skills to press, immune to ailments, tanking hits because you can't avoid them. The list goes on. This is nothing new, but I watched Josh Strife Hayes interview Jonathan Rogers. Jonathan was mentioning games he played recently that were near perfect because they had almost no jank. The lack of introspection was appalling.

Or maybe PoE2 will address all that shit, idk.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It's a bit annoying that I recently came to the realization that the large majority of my PoBing centers around eliminating jank. Smooth movement skills, not standing around too long, not too many skills to press, immune to ailments, tanking hits because you can't avoid them. The list goes on. This is nothing new, but I watched Josh Strife Hayes interview Jonathan Rogers. Jonathan was mentioning games he played recently that were near perfect because they had almost no jank. The lack of introspection was appalling.

I mean most of the shit you list are just normal mechanics, not jank. Yea they need to fix shield charge I'll give you that.

But aiming skills is not jank.
Avoiding one shots and ailments are mechanics
Ramp is not jank.

I think jank refers to bad game design especially refrrring to control.

Things I would classify as jank in poe.

Control bindings
Trade and chat
Mtx organization
Inventory management
Mass map crafting and probably crafting in general (looking at you grave barron fucker)
Amount of loot you have to pick up

Don't get me started on controller support. Every single game can seamlessly switch from kb to controller without relaunching the game. It's sad

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I mean most of the shit you list are just normal mechanics, not jank. Yea they need to fix shield charge I'll give you that.

But aiming skills is not jank.
Avoiding one shots and ailments are mechanics
Ramp is not jank.

I think jank refers to bad game design especially refrrring to control.

Things I would classify as jank in poe.

Control bindings
Trade and chat
Mtx organization
Inventory management
Mass map crafting and probably crafting in general (looking at you grave barron fucker)
Amount of loot you have to pick up

Don't get me started on controller support. Every single game can seamlessly switch from kb to controller without relaunching the game. It's sad
Maybe jank was the wrong word. I'm not sure what to call it when I'll never play a bow build unless I can get consistent +200% movement speed. The movement skills available to bow skills are deal breakers for me. I need to be doing *something* between packs besides jogging.

Once you experience leap slam or whirling blades with some attack speed investment, it certainly feels like jank. As in, why is it in this state, this is annoying.

Aiming might not be jank in itself. But when the speed of the game has pushed to point where standing around is highly discouraged, does aiming(and other mechanics) then become jank?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
1714054952390.png

I've got more scarabs than I know what to do with. Should I be selling these?

• 1Hodjing

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aiming might not be jank in itself. But when the speed of the game has pushed to point where standing around is highly discouraged, does aiming(and other mechanics) then become jank?
This is a fair point. The design choices to avoiding damage in maps via player skill and build choices are really limited. The thing that gets me the most are alot of mods/mob/league mechanic combinations are just designed to be killed off screen before mob can get to you and if it does get to you I hope you have ww/ls.

Melee should hands down have the most defense available but limit its clear. However with all the shit in the game that become a nightmare to manage design wise.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Use wealthy exile to bulk sell your scarabs if you don’t mind selling at a discount. I do 60% of value and it sells instantly, which for me is totally worth it as I know they’d otherwise rot in my stash until leagues end

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Sort of, yea. It doesn't seem like anything changes the travel time of the fissures, so it takes just a second from the first impact for it to split to a new location > back to the boss is all.

I'm playing it on a replica alberons setup currently cause they are the cheapest they've ever been. So far 10/10, clear is as good as any bow build. We'll see how the single target works out in the end.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sort of, yea. It doesn't seem like anything changes the travel time of the fissures, so it takes just a second from the first impact for it to split to a new location > back to the boss is all.

I'm playing it on a replica alberons setup currently cause they are the cheapest they've ever been. So far 10/10, clear is as good as any bow build. We'll see how the single target works out in the end.
Let me see if I have this correct. You aim behind the boss, the travel hits the target. The first eruption hits the target. It travels to some random place and erupts. Pessimistically, the second travel and eruption could hit the target, but probably won't. The third eruption targets the boss, so you will get another hit there(possibly two?). And the fourth eruption is a crap shoot that depends on where the third eruption ended up?

So, at least 3 hits with careful aiming. 2 hits if you target anywhere else, including namelock. More hits depending on where it decides to travel. Getting the gem to 40% quality bumps guaranteed hits by 1.

Since this is all area damage, there's no shotgunning rules in play?

Got a PoB? Curious to see how this clears like a bow build.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is my current scuffed still-leveling str stacking setup

The way the fissures auto-seek enemies after your initial target location leads to some truly hilarious levels of screen clear as 2-3 of them are just flowing around the screen targeting anything that's still alive. You probably don't get quite the offscreen potential that lightning arrow has, but I don't think any other gem with the melee tag could ever come close to the coverage it has.

You're roughly correct about the number of hits on the fissure>impact site and its subsequent additional fissures. My ultimate end goal is to set up an elder influenced mace with the increased AE per 50 str mod and see if I can get the explosions to be large enough to really pump up the amount of overlap that happens. Sadly this being a str stack setup there's no real way for me to mess with quality, as both the chest and amulet slots are pretty hard locked in to the str stack plan.

• 1Like