Path of Exile

Don't waste currency rerolling 66 maps unless the mod is really terrible. At 67, only a few maps are worth rerolling, but still only to make sure the mods are decent. At 68, vaal map is worth making maze (2-3x bigger for that one), but even that can end up costing too many alts sometimes. There's a website I forget that lists all the maps and which ones are worth rolling good. I used to just apt any 69-70, then 71+ might be worth more investment in alt+regal
They removed the maze mod when they made all the maps larger was in 1.0.2 i believe , i always liked more magic/rare monsters for increased chance for higher lvl map drops due to them being +1/2 lvls added if they do drop a map and rng gods are kind that run.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
This race shit is fun. I've gotten to 40+ and died twice now but I love the shrines+nemesis mods. Can't wait til the next season of hardcore.

Graiban if anyone is in the race, I'm 40ish.

I hope they do this shit next season. Take everything from domination and nemesis, add a bunch of new shit for season 6, and go to town. This game is 100x more replayable than D3, because the trading is fucking EC tunnel bullshit where you can get awesome deals and wheel and deal, and the fact you can gamble your gear constantly makes every white you get with good sockets a lottery ticket. It's addicting as hell. This game is better than D3 in every way but the feel of combat.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I have been trying out the poe.xyz site and having no fucking luck with it. No one responds to PMs or accepts friend requests at all. Not sure what the deal is or what the best way is to contact these people, but clearly I am doing something wrong. The items I was trying to buy were around 5-8 chaos orbs, maybe these people just don't care about the little shit or something.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have been trying out the poe.xyz site and having no fucking luck with it. No one responds to PMs or accepts friend requests at all. Not sure what the deal is or what the best way is to contact these people, but clearly I am doing something wrong. The items I was trying to buy were around 5-8 chaos orbs, maybe these people just don't care about the little shit or something.
The way I was doing it before they added all those convoluted systems was to simply get the name of the seller and PM him ingame. If he wasn't online I'd just bookmark it for later but mostly I'd just try someone else with a similar item. People don't necessarily check their PMs and accepting friend invites from random people isn't something most people in general would do.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Christ, dead again. Farming docks, never getting below 80%. Then somehow I splatter in .5 seconds to a blue pack of those fire breathing dog fuckers. I dunno if I lagged or not but I had 65+ all resists and a bazillion hp nodes. I just look up and I'm dead, no named around just like 5 blue dogs.

This shit is maddening.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Extra projectile dogs are no fucking joke. Like triples or quadruples their damage. I scream and run like a little girl when I see those

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
On a more positive note I know have literally infinite leveling gear for strength based characters. I have like 3 tabs worth of deleted characters backup shit, I can't even empty out my remove only tabs from the one week race. Once a character dies in hardcore I just delete it.

Imma do this three hour race, looks like you can get points even if you're a slow bastard.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Christ, dead again. Farming docks, never getting below 80%. Then somehow I splatter in .5 seconds to a blue pack of those fire breathing dog fuckers. I dunno if I lagged or not but I had 65+ all resists and a bazillion hp nodes. I just look up and I'm dead, no named around just like 5 blue dogs.

This shit is maddening.
This game is full of scenarios like that. It's what makes HC interesting. You'll run into a rare leaper mob a dozen times without thinking much about it while you bash him down then one day it will die (on nemesis) and then fracture itself who all instantly leap attacks you = dead. There are other combinations where they are normally no big deal but sometimes when effects combine it's almost insta death if you aren't paying attention. Especially when you are mapping and the map mods amplify the negative effects eve more. It gets even worse when you get a negative map mod + a bad combination of effects + dual or triple rares next to each other.

Watch this video to hear about some of the combinations

How You Will Die In Nemesis - YouTube

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Well piss, I spent the 3 hour race leveling my new guy and now I find out it kicks you into hardcore instead of nemesis. Why wouldn't it put you into the current hardcore league? Agh. Only level 25 but still.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Fuck me, was doing Cruel Piety on Nemesis and as I ran up to her, there was also a Nemesis NPC in her room, had to deal with both of them at the same time. Swear to god it took me half an hour to kill them both. The Nemesis NPC was a 2h warrior that would just leap slam all over the room while leaving a trail of artic armor frost behind him wherever he went. Every time he leap slammed onto me, I'd lose over 1/3 of my health. That was easily the most intense encounter I've ever had, I had to cheese it and port back to town to replenish my potions at least 10 times. I probably got knocked down to 10% health or less at least a dozen times as well, that guy hit like a truck.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, just hit merciless. That's quite the step up in difficulty. That first ogre boss looking guy (Twilight Strand) almost killed me. And then the Coast area jumps all the way up to fucking level 58. That guy stomped my shit in hardcore.

Wondering if it's time to roll up a new char that isn't melee based (did ground slam marauder that was recommended here).

khalid

Unelected Mod
You should just skip Twilight Strand for awhile, it jumps way up to 58 but the Ledge for example is only 53. Basically skip all optional zones in merciless.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
recently started this game as well, like just playing Normal mode to get into it. On act 3 right now, and totally trying to figure out how to trade in stuff for better gear/orbs. There is literally so much stuff to hoard to trade to vendor for stuff it gets annoying.
I recently found this plugin for chrome (Poe Helper by njs50) which i'm sure you all know about already - which shows everything you can make based on whats in your inventory which is helping. Video of it as well hereBest Chrome App ever, Path of Exile Helper, get this now!! - YouTube

But now i'm hoarding non magic items just to do sets, this is just nuts, there has to be a better way, and then organizing it all... wtf. Any suggestions on this would be very helpful.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
recently started this game as well, like just playing Normal mode to get into it. On act 3 right now, and totally trying to figure out how to trade in stuff for better gear/orbs. There is literally so much stuff to hoard to trade to vendor for stuff it gets annoying.
I recently found this plugin for chrome (Poe Helper by njs50) which i'm sure you all know about already - which shows everything you can make based on whats in your inventory which is helping. Video of it as well hereBest Chrome App ever, Path of Exile Helper, get this now!! - YouTube

But now i'm hoarding non magic items just to do sets, this is just nuts, there has to be a better way, and then organizing it all... wtf. Any suggestions on this would be very helpful.
I'm not sure what you mean but "so much stuff to hoard". In general there are thecurrencyitems which should only take 1 tab especially since you are new to the game. There are items that can be used forrecipesto get more currency but generally for a new player this isn't worth bothering with. You can if you really want to min/max but you would probably burn yourself out VERY fast as there is a lot you can do for very little reward in terms of recipes early on.

My suggestion is just stick all currency items you find on one tab in your bank and try to spend them as rarely as is possible. Stack item rarity early on to increase your currency drops for when you do learn what to spend them on later on. Make 3 tabs (one of each color gem) and put all of the gems you find into their appropriate tabs. This is to build up a base of gems for when you inevitably branch out and play more characters.

When it comes to picking items up you can avoid anything below rare if you have stacked a bit of item rarity as you'll have plenty of rare drops to keep you full. Some exceptions include flasks and whatever weapon you are aiming to use for that character.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My suggestion is just stick all currency items you find on one tab in your bank and try to spend them as rarely as is possible. Stack item rarity early on to increase your currency drops for when you do learn what to spend them on later on.
This is misleading. Item rarity doesn't affect the currency drops, just items.