Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
So my lightning witch died and i rerolled to ice and things are going much more smoothly. I'm about level 21 now. If anyone else is playing hc, hit me up. Same name as forum handle.

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
HC is the only way to play.

2hander Templar using sweep during the early levels is pretty OP.

Flank_sl

shitlord
HC is the only way to play.

2hander Templar using sweep during the early levels is pretty OP.
Can be OP in the later levels too, but it does have weaknesses (to maximise damage you will end up with 75% of your sweep damage as elemental, making elemental reflect packs impossible to sweep).

On another note: It is very easy to build a character that will not work in the highest level content. There is some useful information regarding character building, but until you actually test things for yourself you wont know what is good advice and what is not. For example: I know Kripp is popular but his builds only work because he just farms easy content over and over. My advice would be to play a few characters to high level in the default league first, before playing hardcore. Then you will know how to build characters that can actually do the highest level content.

Flank_sl

shitlord
These are the different leagues in PoE:

On a side note. I'm experimenting trying to make a witch summoner. I'm gonna pick up all the +minion skills, and also shoot for Minion Instability (the one that makes minions explode and deal aoe fire dmg when low on life). Anyone have experience with such a build and how well does it work? I've always been a pet class type person...so I wanted to create something revolving around that.
The damage from MI is scaled by both minion life and minion damage passives (and supports). MI is not improved by your spell/fire damage, although the damage dealt is fire. You want to pickup most of the minion passives. After that just add defenses, which ideally would be CI and ES passives. Personally, I would take CI somewhere between levels 45 and 65.

If you are using skeletons then put them on a spell totem. The have very little life so you end up with a totem that summons suicide bombers.

Give your zombies a life leech support as well as their minion supports. You may also want to run Vitality aura for them. Some people like rejuvenation totem for them, but I find the range is too small. Damage auras can also help your zombies.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
Can be OP in the later levels too, but it does have weaknesses (to maximise damage you will end up with 75% of your sweep damage as elemental, making elemental reflect packs impossible to sweep).

On another note: It is very easy to build a character that will not work in the highest level content. There is some useful information regarding character building, but until you actually test things for yourself you wont know what is good advice and what is not. For example: I know Kripp is popular but his builds only work because he just farms easy content over and over. My advice would be to play a few characters to high level in the default league first, before playing hardcore. Then you will know how to build characters that can actually do the highest level content.
There are ways to counter the elemental reflect packs as well using sweep. This has been done.

As you said, you can easily find many fun and different builds on the forums, but it takes playing the game to see what actually works.

As far as Kripp goes, I will come off as a fanboy with this, but he doesn't only farm easy mobs. He actually tries to break most of his builds to find the best one for end game. Which at this point is difficult to do without access to a3. I believe the highest lvl HC char right now is lvl 85 and is only able to farm lvl 65 content. So, it makes it difficult to test end game builds.

Other streamers you can watch are Kungen or TotalBiscuit (I believe that's his name). It is good to see multiple viewpoints on builds. But as you said, test them yourself.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
Figured I would post up a couple of useful links for those starting out or just anybody who wants easy access to the information. The first link is for the google doc that has the quest reward spreadsheet. The 2nd is just the vendor recipe wiki. I am still trying to find some detailed sources for stat calculations, something encompassing armor/evasion calculations as well as elemental/phys dmg calculators, and I will post it here when I do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...any=true#gid=0

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did they ever add more pets skills? I know they added totems and traps the last time I checked, which sounded pretty cool but all they had was like zombies and skeletons for summons and that was pretty dull.

Also main complaint I had about this game is animations/how smooth combat is(or well how NOT smooth it is I guess). It feels very clunky. I don't really mind that it looks kinda old but it feels pretty old too, which is sad considering how interesting the content is in comparison. I don't know how to explain it but I found even D2 played better and that says nothing of more modern games like D3 or TL2, just wish they had put a bit more effort in the gameplay. I'll check open beta out though definitely.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Died again at level ~25 in the pyramid.

Just leveled to level 7 in 30 minutes...at least it's getting faster. When I died, I saved some witch rares in my normal chest. If anyone wants them, send me a pm.

Charles_sl

shitlord
This is the first day that I got to play and it's a ton of fun. I just heard about the game last week, I knew nothing about it before then. If anyone is on the fence or hasn't given it a try (and reads this thread), check it out for sure.

I'm playing a Marauder using Sweep mainly, it's going to be a ton of fun figuring out which builds to use and what is truly viable at high levels.

Zaedius_sl

shitlord
The more I learn about this game and the way the abilities work the more interesting / addictive it gets. Got my new hardcore melee shadow to low 20's atm, doing my best to stay alive.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
This is quite an interesting game to follow for people who like action RPGs. The skill system and the leagues that Ryanz mentions are awesome. The only problem I have (had?) with this game is that the graphics were a bit lackluster, but I haven't booted it up in a while, and from what I read they are working on improving it. This could well become a classic.

Charles_sl

shitlord
I think that the graphics are fine tbh. Does it really look a lot worse to people than Diablo III or Torchlight II does? To me they all look pretty similar.

One think that I think they should work on are the controls, well it's either the controls or it's lag, or perhaps a combination of the two. Oftentimes it just feels a bit clunky to me, even when there isn't clear lag.

Anyway it's still an awesome game. I'm around level 30 (29 maybe?) and I assume near the end of Normal mode and ready to move into Nightmare. I'm playing on Hardcore as a Templar, originally I was playing a Marauder because that seemed like the Barbarian class but I ended up dying on him so I made the new character. Basically I'm still playing as a Marauder lol, all I've done is pick up the melee skills and use the same strategy which is basically run/jump into the middle of a pack and then sweep and spam potions until everything dies.

I'm torn as to what I'm going to do. I know that it's a hybrid class but from the skill gems that I've found I just don't see how most of them would be viable on the character. Firestorm was useful for a short time because I could cheese with it but the damage that it dealt fell behind quickly as I didn't focus on intelligence spheres at all.

Are you guys still playing your Templars? I'm still not sure how the elemental damage works (I assume you have to have it on the weapon itself), but I still seem to be doing fine up until this point with my Marauder-style sweep only strategy lol.

Last night I was in a place called the mansion or something like that, it's on the far right side of the Act 2 map, and it was full of casters along with totems nearby that buffed them or made them invincible. That was the hardest thing that I've run into thus far, I decided to town portal out once I went up about 3 levels because I didn't even have a quest there.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I haven't played in months, i'm a bit sad to see that act 3 is still missing, the map has not been reworked yet and the game still can't deal with more than 3 mouse buttons. The game is still fun though, kind of hilarious to think what a company like Blizzard came up with after more than 10 years, in comparison to this game, done by a pretty small indie studio.

I haven't played in months, i'm a bit sad to see that act 3 is still missing, the map has not been reworked yet and the game still can't deal with more than 3 mouse buttons. The game is still fun though, kind of hilarious to think what a company like Blizzard came up with after more than 10 years, in comparison to this game, done by a pretty small indie studio.
Ya seriously what did diablo do to make it stand out other then make their game a cashgrab with ah, so fail god im so mad i blew 60 dollars on that Pile of blizzard entertainment bs. last time I purchase anything related to their company.

Charles_sl

shitlord
^^ Wow those Spark? totems seems pretty awesome.

I'm still playing my basically pure melee Templar and about to head into nightmare. Seems like I'm probably going to die in nightmare, probably to Merveil if I had to guess lol. After I die I'm not sure what to make, totems seem really powerful and I noticed them really close to my Templar's starting area so maybe I'll give the totem thing a shot.

Bring cold resist rings to fight merivil with, the highest ones you can find or buy from the vendor, also there is a cutthroat league event monday I guess from what I heard on the stream.
We should all try to do some of these events that you can have party's in would be pretty entertaining for a few hours see who is still surviving if anyone lol.