Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah at least so far the casters are weak. I thought I was building them wrong or something at first, but a few re specs and it always ends up the same, buff and CC bot. So far the archer and my melee are raping the content, especially with shit like haste and all the stat buffs. The only "caster" I do like for DMG is the little gnome alchemist, if you could even call him a caster, he throws vials at shit. Right now im thinking of trimming my lineup down to a bard, since one of my meele dudes gets some CC as well and cleric basically can do it all.
Its funny because one of the chief complaints against tabletop Pathfinder is that casters are too powerful lol

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
well you have to know which spells are useful long term. learn your grease, haste, web, mass enlarge, mass bull's strength and summons.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't gamed in years but I remember tabletop generally being tuned to be much easier so that you didn't have to resort to resting after every other room.
That's the curse of adapting a tabletop system for a computer RPG. In a typical 2-3 hour game night you'd never have the sheer amount of battles going on that you have in the same timeframe in a computer game.

From a historical D&D perspective casters were always somewhat upposed to be tactical glass cannons with limited uses, trading body for magic. Cantrips and Orisons were supposed to fill around the big stuff. This is the way D&D 5e went, and from what I heard Pathfinder 2nd Edition improved their Cantrips, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
While I do enjoy the old DND computer games (BG1+2, IWD, etc), as well as PK, storywise, I am not a fan of the mechanics. And I'm a weekly DnD player. From a purely mechanical point of view I much prefer games that are made from the ground up with computers in mind, such as the Divinity games, Dragon Age and such. I only wish more of the writers for the former wrote stories for the latter.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
You shut your mouth about my beautiful girl!

Glad I'm not the only one who likes Linzi. Though I have a feeling I am the only one who likes Imoen.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
The first time I played through this, about half-way through the game, I ended up downloading a mod that made the Mission table instant. I was getting annoyed of feeling like I 'had' to go back whenever a mission was available.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Glad I'm not the only one who likes Linzi. Though I have a feeling I am the only one who likes Imoen.

I didn't dislike Linzi or Imoen, but both are rather far down the line on the favorite characters list, in their respective games.

The problem with Linzi is that I find Bards are worth less than many other characters on the hardest 2 difficulties. They are primarily a buffer/control character, but I can offload those duties onto the dps sorcerer, alchemist, and cleric/druid/paladin.

To explain further, this it how I usually build a party for the hardest difficulties:
  1. Alchemist - The, built for bomb tossing, Alchemist was one of the strongest classes in the game, so Jubi was (usually) a permanent party member.
  2. Sorcerer - Properly built Sorcerer is also incredibly strong, tossing out 100s of hard to resist fireballs (and chain lighting at higher levels), so I always had one, as the pure caster.
  3. Tank/front line melee - At least 2 party members are melee
  4. Melee front line
  5. Second line - This goes to a heavy DPS archer or third high DPS melee/caster (like making Octavia into a mean Arcane Trickster).
  6. Heals/buffs/cures/death recovery - That leaves 1 spot to try to fit a bard, which I usually give to a wis caster to give the good buffs/immunities/cures/raise dead and to reduce the number of times I need to camp.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
While I do enjoy the old DND computer games (BG1+2, IWD, etc), as well as PK, storywise, I am not a fan of the mechanics. And I'm a weekly DnD player. From a purely mechanical point of view I much prefer games that are made from the ground up with computers in mind, such as the Divinity games, Dragon Age and such. I only wish more of the writers for the former wrote stories for the latter.
Man, I could not agree more. Divinity, game play wise on PC just felt so much better than this camp every 5 min shit they got going on here.

Divinity had its own problems though, the second im talking about. Balance issues like if you had most of your characters as archers you were pretty much unstoppable.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Man, I could not agree more. Divinity, game play wise on PC just felt so much better than this camp every 5 min shit they got going on here.

Divinity had its own problems though, the second im talking about. Balance issues like if you had most of your characters as archers you were pretty much unstoppable.
Gameplay wise I'd agree that Divinity 2 was superior. The problem with Divinity's awesome gameplay is that it comes tacked onto a fucking garbage storyline.

Pathfinders storytelling/world building with Divinity's combat system would probably end up as one of my top 1-3 games of all-time.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gameplay wise I'd agree that Divinity 2 was superior. The problem with Divinity's awesome gameplay is that it comes tacked onto a fucking garbage storyline.

Pathfinders storytelling/world building with Divinity's combat system would probably end up as one of my top 1-3 games of all-time.
Agreed.

Mechanically, I loved DoS: II. And, despite finishing the game, I found much of the story terrible.

Obviously, some of the game was really dark, but the slapstick comedy and whimsical tone just aren't for me.

DoS: II with a much grittier story (and art direction) with a PF or 5E ruleset would be great.

Hopefully, BG: III hits that squarely on the head.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I only wish more of the writers for the former wrote stories for the latter.
That's because the tabletop RPGs have decades worth of lore, world building and stories/modules. Remember Plancescape: Torment? Chris Avellone did a great job with the game, but so did Zeb Cook with the original Planescape setting, which in turn expanded on the ideas from Jeff Grubb's original Manual of the Planes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I've been enjoying this with my Mad Dog build. I think I am getting near the end. I just defeated Armag. Been having a blast.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Bought this maybe a year after it's release (heard it was very buggy on launch so I held off), played it pretty much nonstop for the next 2 weeks because there's just so much game. Found that it was far more enjoyable with a fan created turn-based mod (apparently there's official turnbased support now) which also made me need to bump the difficulty up a smidge.

Only real negatives I found were that some of the class kits were very unbalanced and had elements of them not actually implemented into the game or had skills reference things not available (example barbarian totem skills).

Really looking forward to the sequel, this game pretty much offers everything I want in a CRPG, wish these devs had gotten the Baldurs Gate IP instead of Larian.

• 3Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Bought this maybe a year after it's release (heard it was very buggy on launch so I held off), played it pretty much nonstop for the next 2 weeks because there's just so much game. Found that it was far more enjoyable with a fan created turn-based mod (apparently there's official turnbased support now) which also made me need to bump the difficulty up a smidge.

Only real negatives I found were that some of the class kits were very unbalanced and had elements of them not actually implemented into the game or had skills reference things not available (example barbarian totem skills).

Really looking forward to the sequel, this game pretty much offers everything I want in a CRPG, wish these devs had gotten the Baldurs Gate IP instead of Larian.
If you liked Kingmaker you’ll like the sequel. The amount of classes and archetypes can be overwhelming but the diversity and reliability is there. Between the the 3 crpg betas(Pathfinder, BG3 and Solasta) I prefer Pathfinder right now which is currently the best one. It just feels more DnD and more enjoyable for me. For some reason I didn’t like Solasta. Something about the game just turned me off but I’m loving Pathfinder and secondly BG3.

I’ve been playing BG3 lately because of the new Druid class that was introduced in patch 4 which is very fun to play especially the Circle of Moon subclass where you can shapeshift into different animals. They are all good games in their own ways but PF is my go to crpg.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ok so im almost done with the game. Waiting for ch 6 to start ...Few thoughts...

So this game gets easier and easier as it progresses. Especially once when you figure out which skills are worth a damn and which are shit. And which buffs stack and which dont. Or if you use one of the build guides that are all over the internet. Second, the whole city management thing just gets on your nerves after a while. Yeah its cool to take it from a wicker club house to a full grown city, but over time that element of game play, at least for me, was more of a chore than adding enjoyment.

Dont get me wrong, its an excellent game. Im especially loving the character building part of it, now that im closer to lv20. But you can see the balance kind of taper off in the mid game and on. Maybe its because they expect people to build shit characters? I mean who knows.

Oh and obligatory OP as fuck wizzard build... ( its with a mod that adds a ton of caster things, so it might not be totally fair, but its fun as fuck) Now this is what I think of when I think of DnD Wizard.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok so im almost done with the game. Waiting for ch 6 to start ...Few thoughts...

So this game gets easier and easier as it progresses. Especially once when you figure out which skills are worth a damn and which are shit. And which buffs stack and which dont. Or if you use one of the build guides that are all over the internet. Second, the whole city management thing just gets on your nerves after a while. Yeah its cool to take it from a wicker club house to a full grown city, but over time that element of game play, at least for me, was more of a chore than adding enjoyment.

Dont get me wrong, its an excellent game. Im especially loving the character building part of it, now that im closer to lv20. But you can see the balance kind of taper off in the mid game and on. Maybe its because they expect people to build shit characters? I mean who knows.

Oh and obligatory OP as fuck wizzard build... ( its with a mod that adds a ton of caster things, so it might not be totally fair, but its fun as fuck) Now this is what I think of when I think of DnD Wizard.

I had an entirely different experience. The game didn't get easier for me, but I've never played Pathfinder. Despite that, I never looked up a build or investigated what I should/shouldn't prioritize. I extrapolated my 30 years of D&D experience and managed to get by.

I probably made the game harder for myself because I kept semi-useless characters in my party because I liked their narrative. Also, I never multi-classed any character in my party. I knew that would make the game more difficult, but I wanted a less min-maxed experience.

I'm confident I enjoyed the game more because it was challenging from beginning to end.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah unfortunately for me I have like 0 experience in DnD and all that nonsense so it just made sense for me to look shit up because when I looked at all the feats and skills and such, I had no clue. SO yeah youre probabaly right, by taking tips from those guides I probably did make the game way easier. I mean, sneak attack by itself, added to any build is like 100% more dmg.

Randin

Trakanon Raider

So this game gets easier and easier as it progresses. Especially once when you figure out which skills are worth a damn and which are shit. And which buffs stack and which dont. Or if you use one of the build guides that are all over the internet.
The game get's easier as it progresses, until it doesn't. Avoiding spoilers here, but you'll know you're getting to the Bad Part when you're told to head to a place west of Pitax. Someone had malice in their soul when they did the encounter design there.

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only fight in the pitax castle i had a hard time with was the one evil caster dude with like 4 ogres around him, but it wasnt because of his difficulty, he just had like 4-5 turns to buff his ass up before I even spotted him the first time. And of course enlarged melee and pets being stuck in the fucking doorway didnt help either. But usually my 2 archers with sneak attracks and 100dmg crits fuck up the casters before they even get one spell off.