Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I restarted my first game shortly after reaching kingdom management after I realized I basically wasted a lot of my BP. I'm on my second play through now and it's obviously going a lot smoother, except I realized I accidently selected the wrong sex voice for my main character. Is there a way to change it? I'm guessing I'm stuck with it for the whole playtheough, which isn't a big deal.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

nicksw

Molten Core Raider
I restarted my first game shortly after reaching kingdom management after I realized I basically wasted a lot of my BP. I'm on my second play through now and it's obviously going a lot smoother, except I realized I accidently selected the wrong sex voice for my main character. Is there a way to change it? I'm guessing I'm stuck with it for the whole playtheough, which isn't a big deal.
There is a retrain option from an NPC in the tavern in game, if that doesn't allow you to change the voice you can use this mod The mod allows you to even edit classes from your NPCs and their attributes etc.

Argarth

On the verandah
Further to my last post here , does anyone have experience with the "Kingdom Resolution" Mod over on Nexus? There are so many options, and some of them read like you need to have already played the game to understand them. I'm tempted to just set the Kingdom to Auto/Invincible and be done with it for my first run. However, even after a considerable amount of research, I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what important stuff (if any?) I'll be missing out on with regard to dialog/story/endgame state etc.

I'm just trying to avoid feeling the need to start again half way through. If the Kingdom part really boils down to nothing more than busywork, then I'm happy to skip it, I think, lol.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Further to my last post here , does anyone have experience with the "Kingdom Resolution" Mod over on Nexus? There are so many options, and some of them read like you need to have already played the game to understand them. I'm tempted to just set the Kingdom to Auto/Invincible and be done with it for my first run. However, even after a considerable amount of research, I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what important stuff (if any?) I'll be missing out on with regard to dialog/story/endgame state etc.

I'm just trying to avoid feeling the need to start again half way through. If the Kingdom part really boils down to nothing more than busywork, then I'm happy to skip it, I think, lol.
I started using that halfway through my playthrough IIRC. I wouldn't use the default auto option as that requires no input at all IIRC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really need to go back and finish this.

I have like 140 hours played and I know I'm nearing the end, but I eventually lost patience as I was a day one purchaser and endured the ridiculously bug infested release. Despite all the issues, I refused to start over. Keeping my original game forced me to download several 'cheat' programs to roll back campaign-ending bugs stemming from kingdom management.

Despite the buggy release, I still LOVED this game. It's the definitive spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I/II. I finished both Pillars of Eternity I/II and I loved them both, but this game is a considerably better, a more authentic 'D&D' experience. I cannot wait for the sequel. The Heaven vs Hell planar theme and extreme level cap of the next installment looks epic.

*edit* fixed a couple typos

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I really need to go back and finish this.

I have like 120 hours played and I know I'm nearing the end, but I eventually lost patience as I was a day one purchaser and endured the ridiculously bug infested release. Despite all the issues, I refused to start over. Keeping my original game forced me to download several 'cheat' programs to rollback campaign-ending bugs stamming kingdom management.

Despite the buggy release I still I LOVED this game. It's the definitive spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I/II. I finished both Pillars of Eternity I/II and I loved them both, but this game is a considerably better, more authentic 'D&D' experience. I cannot wait for the sequel. The Heaven vs Hell planar theme and extreme level cap of the next installment looks epic.

Also loving what I've read about the sequel (fond memories of the planar themes in NWN2). Yet another reason why I need to get off my arse soon, and get this one done =)

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I started using that halfway through my playthrough IIRC. I wouldn't use the default auto option as that requires no input at all IIRC.

Decided to read the entire forum thread on that mod. That was a slog, but feeling much more confident now about starting a run with it on.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Want to try playing this for the first time this weekend. Holy fuck, the amount of options for char creation is a bit overwhelming. Is it better to start out with one of the premades? Is there a decent guide for idiot newbs for making a first character/building out others you get along the way? Never played any form of Pathfinder, and my tabletop experience is limited to a moderate amount of 5e DnD, so I have some basics, but something comprehensive for starting out with this would be nice.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If you're not familiar with the ruleset, one thing I would recommend is playing on a lower difficulty. They ended up tuning the difficulty higher in this game than you'd normally expect--essentially, expect playing on normal in Kingmaker can often feel closer to playing on hard in something like Pillars of Eternity--and even when knowing the system reasonably well, there are still a few difficulty spikes that can feel like hard walls (fuck those Wild Hunt Monarchs, or whatever their proper name was, fuck them so very hard). Going that route will also allow you to get by fine by keeping your characters to single classes, rather than having to look up multi-class builds, and let you more or less make your character as you like. Put simply, Normal will expect familiarity with the system, Hard will expect the use of build guides, and anything above that will expect even the knowledgeable to engage in plenty of save scumming.

Another tip for playing through the game: Kingmaker really sticks to the idea of "this monster can only be defeated by X" and essentially requires that you use X in those fights. Compulsively hoard all the acid flasks, cold iron weapons, and so on that you come across while playing.

• 2Like

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
If you don't want to Google character builds you could use the pre-made ones. I've heard they are viable at least up to normal difficulty. A little searching around the net will find countless builds that will work for any of the lower difficulties, and usually when people post a build it will be viable on harder difficulties too (few people post their RP builds).

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
yeah I went straight for hard mode, figured it would be on par with hard in Pillars, but definitely felt tougher, at least the first 4-5 levels, basically chapter 1, were certainly a real challenge for an introduction, and got a bit more manageable after.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally went back and finished this. I was closer to the end than I thought; only took me ~6 hours to finish the game. ~150 hours total in my first and only playthrough (without any DLC).

This game is amazing (now that it's relatively bug-free) and I can't recommend it enough if you're an iso/Baldur's Gate fan.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoying my first playthrough. I always quit in the second section because the city stuff is kind of annoying. I still don't care for that but love the rest. Following the main character builds someone linked. I am a Mad Dog build. Its pretty great up to 7 so far. Clearing out the trol kingdom currently.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Really enjoying my first playthrough. I always quit in the second section because the city stuff is kind of annoying. I still don't care for that but love the rest. Following the main character builds someone linked. I am a Mad Dog build. Its pretty great up to 7 so far. Clearing out the trol kingdom currently.
If you haven't found them already, head over to a wiki and look up where you find the party members Jubilost and Ekun. You can only get them during Troll Trouble, and they (especially Jubilost) can be really easily missed if you don't hit the right zones during the quest.

Just tossing that out there, as missing or nearly missing one of them tends to be an almost universal experience in the game.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If you haven't found them already, head over to a wiki and look up where you find the party members Jubilost and Ekun. You can only get them during Troll Trouble, and they (especially Jubilost) can be really easily missed if you don't hit the right zones during the quest.

Just tossing that out there, as missing or nearly missing one of them tends to be an almost universal experience in the game.
I did actually find them by happenstance. Just exploring my barony.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
My playthrough of Pathfinder: Kingmaker got roughly 200% better using some of these character builds, using the Respecialization Mod to fix up some of the god-awful party members:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
So if I enjoyed DOS2 enough to play through twice in a row, will I like this?

• 1Like