Pathfinder v. DnD 5e

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Some friends of mine and I have a campaign which is about to wrap up. It was the Mummy's Mask AP in Pathfinder. We're looking at taking a short break then starting up a new campaign. I'm going to GM this go around.

A couple people have been saying we should switch to DnD 5e because it's an easier system and plays better. I have yet to play 5e anywhere, so I am coming here for opinions.

I have an idea for the next campaign, I was going to do a moderately modified take on the Pathfinder Jade Regent AP. I like how the story can go, was going to eliminate the caravan mechanic, and change up the story a tiny bit. If not that a modified version of the "Evil" campaign AP.

Question is if we're going to change game systems do I want to try to translate a whole AP over, write one from scratch, or what. Especially since if I'm going to GM it I need to learn 5e.

Opinions?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Switching an AP to a new system is hard to do and I don't recommend it unless you are a veteran of said system. I love 5E and I love Pathfinder I would stick with an AP you like for whatever system. That said the campaign that comes with the starter set is actually really good(get fixed version) Lost Mine of Phandelver. The updated version fixes some of the story issues.

Pathfinder was my jam for about a decade but was burning out so picked up 5th edition, it was in many ways simplified and a blast to both play and GM for. If lost mines doesn't interest you my next favorite is Princes of Apocalypse(sandbox) followed by Curse of Strahd(classic) and Out of the Abyss(just so mean and sadistic). Stay away from Hoard of the Dragon Queen as it starts really strong but turns quickly into no fun for anyone.

When my group completed Princes of Apocalypse they liked their characters so much I converted The Midnight Isles from pathfinder which took them to level 21 which was also a blast but a lot of work.

if I wasn't currently preparing a Starfinder campaign I would love to check out 5th editions Waterdeep: Dragon heist.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone made tabletop scenarios based on EQ/WoW/etc. storylines?
A friend of mine converted some of the Diablo stories into one shots. It was pretty interesting.

The barbarian story revolves around the barb having survivors guilt, basically. He took a lot of that and turned the barb into a hill giant that our party encountered and somewhat befriended. It was a really cool take on it. It was different enough to not be derivative and similar enough that if you were familiar with the story you were able to pick on Easter eggs

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
That said the campaign that comes with the starter set is actually really good(get fixed version) Lost Mine of Phandelver. The updated version fixes some of the story issues.

I recently purchased the starter set to check out with a few friends. Where can one get this fixed version?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll say I thought Lost Mine was one of the worst retail adventures I've ever played. Most purchased adventures are pretty bad, but this one was particularly terrible.

That said, 5e is the cleanest, best designed system I've seen. Played PF for many years and it filled a gap that D&D wasn't filling at the time as far as depth and versatility.

For my money, I'd go with 5e; however, I believe the new PF system is playable at this point so id be very tempted to give it a look.

Edit: For as bad as most retail adventures are, this is an example of a really good one: https://paizo.com/products/btpy8029

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'll say I thought Lost Mine was one of the worst retail adventures I've ever played. Most purchased adventures are pretty bad, but this one was particularly terrible.

Every DnD site YouTube guy raves about Lost Mine. To the point we ordered it today. Now I am second guessing myself but for 12 I guess its not a big risk.

I've played several of te Pathfinder adventures and enjoyed them but I have not played the Rise of the Runelords series.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every DnD site YouTube guy raves about Lost Mine. To the point we ordered it today. Now I am second guessing myself but for 12 I guess its not a big risk.

I've played several of te Pathfinder adventures and enjoyed them but I have not played the Rise of the Runelords series.

I can't fathom anyone raving about that adventure. At most I can see see people defending it as "not that bad." Who knows? Maybe you'll love it. Let us know

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I can't fathom anyone raving about that adventure. At most I can see see people defending it as "not that bad." Who knows? Maybe you'll love it. Let us know
Probably be a while before I get a chance to play it. I will definitely report back. We are gearing up for our first Adventures in Middle Earth game on the 1st.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

My group had an absolute blast with it and I can't recommend it enough.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Were they very new to pnp RPGs?

Not sure what there isn't to like, starts off with a dragon fight, has a cool dungeon early with goblins/traps, and some classic stuff, you fuck with a towns criminals that have some interesting stuff going on, you end up with some red herrings and oh shit moments near the middle/end and are left at level 5 with either the option to continue those characters into campaigns like temple of elemental evil and the like.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't run mines as a DM, only played it. It's possible the GM just fucked the campaign up and I came away with a bad taste for the adventure itself. What I remember from it was mind numbingly predictable with tons of hackneyed tropes and conventions stuffed into it at every turn. I remember feeling like everything in the campaign had been done a hundred times before, but better.

I dunno, maybe I'm thinking of another adventure.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone run the pathfinder 2 playtest yet? was curious about how it plays.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
There is a whole EQ pen and paper RPG.

wow... I had no idea this stuff existed. Would love to see EQ done this way. We were actually thinking about getting some old guys together because there are some people around working interested in trying it out. I'm not sure what has spiked the interest of D&D but several of us haven't played in probably a decade and for some people close to 10 years younger than us to begin asking questions on how to get started is actually pretty interesting.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
wow... I had no idea this stuff existed. Would love to see EQ done this way. We were actually thinking about getting some old guys together because there are some people around working interested in trying it out. I'm not sure what has spiked the interest of D&D but several of us haven't played in probably a decade and for some people close to 10 years younger than us to begin asking questions on how to get started is actually pretty interesting.
I bought the latest MtG DnD crossover book because I tenderly remember missing out on the EQ books.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I really wish someone would so a 5th edition release of EQ. I would buy it.