Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've read Sanderson. The Hundredth Queen was really good (book 2 was okay, it kept me captivated but it wasn't anything special). Song of Edmon is a pretty interesting world. I thought The City Below was really good (another where book 2 just isn't as good).

I have a lot of trouble finding good Fantasy or Scifi that I haven't read. So much of it is just the same stories

Yeah, sadly I've read everything Sanderson put out straight after reading the wheel of time stuff. I actually haven't read any of those books yet, so thanks for the suggestions there. I tend to flip flop between Sci-Fi and Fantasy with some horror sometimes mixed in here and there. I haven't really read much Sci-Fi since going through the Ender stuff last year. The last interesting fantasy stuff I read prior to the first law series was the Emberverse stuff by S.M. Stirling, but I kinda got sick of the newer stuff that was straying further away from the roots of the series into magical stuff.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I will say I'm far less critical of books/movies than most people I know, so I might not be the best to take advice from :p

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I will say I'm far less critical of books/movies than most people I know, so I might not be the best to take advice from :p
haha no probs, I'm the same. I can handle most things that other people think are bad lol

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Shit, these two books were on my backlog and next to listen to after my current series.

I was hoping there'd be a satisfying conclusion to the series before I listened to it, so I might have to skip this for a bit.

It's so hard to find good fantasy that I haven't read now, I'm feeling a huge void after finishing everything Joe Abercrombie put out too.

Have you read the Malazan books? They are top notch, huge, and plentiful. Also, the Expanse series is solid by Corey. Not epic but great reads were Powder Mage trilogy, James Islington debut, Pierce Brown Red Rising trilogy. Those are the best of what I've read lately.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
To add to that, if you want an Indy series check out Cradle series by Will Wight. Fun reads

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Shit, these two books were on my backlog and next to listen to after my current series.

I was hoping there'd be a satisfying conclusion to the series before I listened to it, so I might have to skip this for a bit.

It's so hard to find good fantasy that I haven't read now, I'm feeling a huge void after finishing everything Joe Abercrombie put out too.

Have you read Robin Hobb? If you don't mind your fantasy being a little more character driven, then she's easily one of the best authors currently writing in the genre imo.

Another option is China Mieville, if you want something a bit more off to the left field. It's less straight fantasy than a kind of fantasy/scifi/horror/steampunk/general weirdness mashup, but his Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Iron Council) are incredible, and definitely unlike anything else being written.

There's also Dresden Files if you don't mind a 21st century/urban fantasy setting. They get a bit cheesy at times, but for the most part are really fun and engaging.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
To add to that, if you want an Indy series check out Cradle series by Will Wight. Fun reads

This man speaks the truth. Fun is definately the word I would use.

Malazan is deep and a bit...confusing at times. Nothing that an avid reader can't handle obviously, but I had to go back a couple times to wrap my head around the time lines. I also highlighted items I wanted more information on from fans. The march of Coltaine (for lack of a better description) is in my top 3 for best written chapters of ANY book ever. I'm STILL pissed! And that was what? 15 years ago?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This man speaks the truth. Fun is definately the word I would use.

Malazan is deep and a bit...confusing at times. Nothing that an avid reader can't handle obviously, but I had to go back a couple times to wrap my head around the time lines. I also highlighted items I wanted more information on from fans. The march of Coltaine (for lack of a better description) is in my top 3 for best written chapters of ANY book ever. I'm STILL pissed! And that was what? 15 years ago?
For lack of a better description??

It’s The Chain of Dogs

Malazan is a very broad series. Like multiple books cover the same timeline with different characters. First book is really hard to get into because it drops you right into a very confusing story, but definitely pays off

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Have you read Robin Hobb? If you don't mind your fantasy being a little more character driven, then she's easily one of the best authors currently writing in the genre imo.
Definitely the series that has hit me hardest in the feels of any.

The series is almost impossible to talk about without spoiling, but Fitz is probably the most shit on protagonist (some self inflicted, some not)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for all the suggestions, I've put all the mentioned series' on my wishlist, and I'll dive into one as soon as I've finished my current reads.

zzeris zzeris Azrayne Azrayne Ritley Ritley

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
For lack of a better description??

It’s The Chain of Dogs

Malazan is a very broad series. Like multiple books cover the same timeline with different characters. First book is really hard to get into because it drops you right into a very confusing story, but definitely pays off

Damn you and your knowledge!

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
+1 for Robin Hobbs Realm of the Elderlings stuff - the Liveship Traders series in particular rivals the Fitz trilogies.

Malazan is a funny one for me - it really frustrated me how some of the story lines, concurrent events and character arcs are finished by another author in a different series - never mind his timeline issues. That being said books 2 and 3 are up there with the best fantasy I've read and it's well worth diving into if you're willing to invest in 15+ books for a sense of completion.

Anyone looking for advice on the Rothfuss books - don't bother.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
+1 for Robin Hobbs Realm of the Elderlings stuff - the Liveship Traders series in particular rivals the Fitz trilogies.

Malazan is a funny one for me - it really frustrated me how some of the story lines, concurrent events and character arcs are finished by another author in a different series - never mind his timeline issues. That being said books 2 and 3 are up there with the best fantasy I've read and it's well worth diving into if you're willing to invest in 15+ books for a sense of completion.

Anyone looking for advice on the Rothfuss books - don't bother.

What other books are a part of the malazan series? Is it all under the same series name?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What other books are a part of the malazan series? Is it all under the same series name?

Erikson writes the main Malazan Book of the Fallen series of novels.

Ian Cameron Esslemont writes the companion series that follows characters and plot lines that weave in and out of MBotF. As well as some unique threads.

Esslemont’s writing varied greatly over his books and progressed quite nicely. To the point that by the end I was actually enjoying some of his work more than Erikson’s stuff.

• 1Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Two authors, Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont. They created the world as a DnD universe while they were in college, and both write books set in the world.

Erikson has The Malazan Book of the Fallen, a ten book series that is complete. He has also written a few novellas about a couple of the characters that you encounter in the series. In addition he has written two books of a three book series that is essentially an origins story about some of the more ancient characters and races in the world. He also plans to write another trilogy set after the end of the Book of the Fallen.

Esslemont has written 7 or 8 books set in the world, but I don’t know that his are really considered a “series.” His books do have characters from Erikson’s Books, and in some cases they do wrap up that character’s story arc. He also delves into some of the different groups of characters that Erikson doesn’t give much detail about (The Crimson Guard, The Seguleh, the people of Assail).

Many people seem to skip Esslemont’s work, but they are intended to all be read to get the full picture. Its a lot of reading, but worth it. I can see how some are exhausted after the book of the Fallen, another 7-8 large books can be daunting.

Edit: beaten to the punch by Intrinsic.

Last edited:

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Length is fine with me, I love getting engrossed with a long series. Thanks for the write up guys

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Two authors, Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont. They created the world as a DnD universe while they were in college, and both write books set in the world.

Erikson has The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and ten book series that is complete. He has also written a few novellas about a couple of the characters that you encounter in the series. In addition he has written two books of a three book series that is essentially an origins story about some of the more ancient characters and races in the world. He also plans to write another trilogy set after the end of the Book of the Fallen.

Esslemont has written 7 or 8 books set in the world, but I don’t know that his are really considered a “series.” His books do have characters from Erikson’s Books, and in some cases they do wrap up that character’s story arc. He also delves into some of the different groups of characters that Erikson doesn’t give much detail about (The Crimson Guard, The Seguleh, the people of Assail).

Many people seem to skip Esslemont’s work, but they are intended to all be read to get the full picture. Its a lot of reading, but worth it. I can see how some are exhausted after the book of the Fallen, another 7-8 large books can be daunting.

Edit: beaten to the punch by Intrinsic.
Esselmont starts out pretty rough, but definitely picks it up. I admit I was pretty disappointed with Assail, given how it was built up being such a badass continent where a human tyrant was destroying tlan imass armies.

But his latest trilogy is top notch, getting the backstory of Dancer and Kellenved is extremely satisfying

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
It's been a few years - I only did the first two or three of Esslemont's books so maybe it's time to do the rest. Although the conpletionist in me is already saying "reread the Book of the Fallen" as well

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
The Name of the Wind

$2 for the Kindle version. Heard a lot of good things, other than the guy will never finish the story. Picked it up and threw it in the backlog.

Ps. Amazon links always fail with the attempted [media] tag for me. Shits annoying.