Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah i'm curious about it too.. but wtf, $19 for a 176 page novella? c'maaaaaaaaan. it's even $13 on kindle.
I'll wait until it drops in price lol

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
So "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" starts off with a warning/apology/ransom-note from Rothfuss about how you probably aren't going to like it, with the subtext that the publishers have a gun to his head forcing him to sell it standalone for 15 bucks. This is not a good sign...

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
So "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" starts off with a warning/apology/ransom-note from Rothfuss about how you probably aren't going to like it, with the subtext that the publishers have a gun to his head forcing him to sell it standalone for 15 bucks. This is not a good sign...
I read it. I think his warning at the beginning is well merited. The most action in the book is when Auri is making soap; as he himself says it's not a traditional story and it fails at delivering anything a standard story should.

Selling it for 15 bucks is something he probably felt bad about and was probably forced on him by the publisher. I still got enough pleasure out of re-reading The Name Of The Wind recently not to feel too bad about the purchase but it's certainly not something I'd recommend.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" starts off with a warning/apology/ransom-note... This is not a good sign...
That's mainly for the benefit of those expecting a King Killer part 2 1/2 or something.

I found myself enjoying this novella quite a bit and by the end of it I had a smile on my face. His warning at the beginning was helpful if a also a bit over blown; it is not a standard story as there is no dialogue or plot but it provides some insight into the life and doings of Auri, so if you found her charming and intriguing in the novel then you may also enjoy this short story as well. Of course If you didn't then yes, of course, this isn't for you. Her mysteries aren't solved here and the rules that govern her life are still mostly perplexing to me but the author managed to bring her to life and forge a connection through her daily rituals and her emotional ups and downs... she felt very real if also very strange at the same time. At any rate I liked it and from the hints here I'm looking forward to future adventures in the Underthing.

--

Rothfuss had an ending note that was far more apt than his opening warning and I feel that it would have served far better to weed out those who would or wouldn't want to read the novella:

As part of this process, I've given this story to about three dozen beta readers, gathering feedback to help me in my endless, obsessive revisions. And one comment people have made over and over again and again, phrased many different ways, is this:

"I don't know what other people will think. They probably won't like it. But I really enjoyed it."

It's strange to me how many people have said some version of that. Hell, I just now realize I said something similar myself a page or two ago in this author's note. The truth is, I'm fond of Auri. I have a special place in my heart for this strange, sweet, shattered girl. I love her more than just a little. I think it's because we're both somewhat broken, in our own odd ways. More importantly, we're both aware of it. Auri knows she isn't all quite proper true inside, and this makes her feel very much alone. I know how she feels.

But that itself is not unusual. I am the author, after all. I'm supposed to know how the character feels. It wasn't until I started gathering feedback that I realized how common this feeling is. I've had person after person tell me that they empathize with Auri. That they know where she's coming from. I didn't expect that. I cannot help but wonder how many of us walk through our lives, day after day, feeling slightly broken and alone, surrounded all the time by others who feel exactly the same way. So. If you read this book and you didn't enjoy it, I'm sorry. It's my fault. This is a strange story. You might enjoy it more on a second reading. (Most of my stories are better the second time around.) But then again, maybe not.

If you're one of the people who found this story disconcerting, off-putting, or confusing, I apologize. The truth is, it probably just wasn't for you. The good news is that there are many other stories out there that are written just for you. Stories you will enjoy much more. This story is for all the slightly broken people out there. I am one of you. You are not alone. You are all beautiful to me."

Needless

Toe Sucker
$15 for a novella is retarded, god damn maw fucka needs to hurry up with that 3rd book.
He's pretty much GRRM Jr.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I read an interview with him a while back where he was all like, "other people just continue writing...when I'm done with this trilogy, that's it." I think it was in response to how long the WoT series got.
And this year at PAX he mentioned he has plans to write more books in the KKC world and knows which characters those books will be about. No more Kvothe stories, though.

EDIT: Halfway through the Auri book. /sigh

If you're one of the people who found this story disconcerting, off-putting, or confusing, I apologize. The truth is, it probably just wasn't for you.

-Patrick Rothfuss
You know Pat, that's kind of an asshattish position to take. You're being paid to entertain people. I'm going to write off my purchase as a donation to World Builders and go back to waiting for book 3.

Buyer beware.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Slightly OT. One of his recent posts from Facebook:

---

Patrick Rothfuss
22 mins ?

When I was in Milwaukee, doing my reading and signing, someone told me that their creative writing teacher required them to go to a reading as part of their class, but that my reading didn't count, because I wrote fantasy.

I had her record a video where I voice my opinion on the matter.

Here's the video. It isn't entirely safe for work, as I remember saying the word "Bullshit" about seven or eight times.

Patrick Rothfuss Responds to Academic Snobbery - YouTube

khalid

Unelected Mod
This author just has way too many obsessions that seem to effect his writing. Making Kvothe some sex god at 15 or whatever. Him spending endless pages obsessing about a prostitute while a bunch of much more interesting and intelligent women exist in his world. I dunno, maybe he can rein that weird shit in for his 3rd book.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I clicked on the thread without even a glimmer of hope that there might be info on the 3rd book.