Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I mean, I'm all about seeing his stuff on screen, but I'd rather film companies work with authors who can actually write at a pace of more than a book a decade.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Rothfuss should be contractually obligated to complete the third book satisfactorily before getting a dime in royalties.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
I love how Pat always falls back on, "writing a good book takes time". However he seems to have time to do a million other things rather than work on book three. After a quick look at his bio, this long wait doesn't surprise me. It will be a miracle if we ever get book three.

Needless

Toe Sucker
You can't force that shit though, specially for a final book. Do you want to end your trilogy with a pile of shit because a bunch of nerds keep telling you to just finish it? Hell no.

Apparently his Lionsgate deal is including video game(s) based on KCC, the only kind of game i can see working with that is a Telltale type games like TWD/GoT style gameplay.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I love how Pat always falls back on, "writing a good book takes time". However he seems to have time to do a million other things rather than work on book three. After a quick look at his bio, this long wait doesn't surprise me. It will be a miracle if we ever get book three.
My guess is 2017 or 2018 at the latest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
He doesn't write, at all. I honestly don't think he has any interest in doing the third book.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is he rich? I really don't know how much those books sell or what authors earn or what he was paid to write the stuff. I think as much as I liked the first book, the second one was a little more absurdist and almost like he went off the deep end with extreme ideas just to ship it and motivate himself to finish the writing.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Trying to avoid reading this thread, I just started the 1st book last night and stayed up a little to late because it was so good. I have had this on my reading list for a few years and I pretty excited to bang it out over the next few weeks when I find the time.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Trying to avoid reading this thread, I just started the 1st book last night and stayed up a little to late because it was so good. I have had this on my reading list for a few years and I pretty excited to bang it out over the next few weeks when I find the time.
I suggest you read one word a day. Rothfuss might have the third book ready by the time you finish the second book.

• 1Worf

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'm pretty sure that he's hit a block - there's no way he can take the series from where it ended in #2 up to the "present day" framing device and wrap the whole thing up in a single book, but for some reason he refuses to bite the bullet and expand the length of the series like every other fantasy author does.

It's a shame, because imo the series doesn't have much re-read value. I devoured it the first time through (admittedly, I felt #2 was a drop from #1 even then), but found it just above average on the second read of the first book, and felt no motivation to move onto the second book again. I'd just like some closure on the story, but doesn't seem to be coming any time soon.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'm pretty sure that he's hit a block - there's no way he can take the series from where it ended in #2 up to the "present day" framing device and wrap the whole thing up in a single book, but for some reason he refuses to bite the bullet and expand the length of the series like every other fantasy author does.

It's a shame, because imo the series doesn't have much re-read value. I devoured it the first time through (admittedly, I felt #2 was a drop from #1 even then), but found it just above average on the second read of the first book, and felt no motivation to move onto the second book again. I'd just like some closure on the story, but doesn't seem to be coming any time soon.
The end of the story is:
Cinder shows up at the Waystone Inn on Day 3. The Inn just so happens to be made of "Ash, and elm, and rowan too". Kvothe, Bast, and Chronicler triple team Cinder, tie him up in the basement, and burn the Waystone Inn on top of him.

With the fire raging behind them, Kvothe says "One down. Six to go."

Cue ending with three silences being about Cinder waiting to die under the burned remains of the Waystone Inn.

Acceptable alternative: During Day 3, we learn that Kvothe's spellcasting is broken and the secret to unlocking it is tied up somewhere behind the door of remembrance. By telling the story he remembers how to use his powers again, and leads Chronicler upstairs to his room where Cinder is actually hogtied inside of the thrice locked chest. They burn the Waystone Inn down like before, and Kvothe says something catchy as the fire of the Inn burns down behind them.

Cue ending with the three silences being about Cinder waiting to die under the burned remains of the Waystone Inn.

Bonus Theory: The sword "Folly" is made as a signal for when Cinder shows up. Cinder's sign is "Metal rusting" or something. Folly used to kill Cinder.

At least, that's my current "preferred" ending.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I suggest you read one word a day. Rothfuss might have the third book ready by the time you finish the second book.
Ah crap, another fantasy author with the yipps. Well the good news is after I read these two I need to reread The Wheel of Time Series, I still have not read the Sanderson contributions. I have no clue how that series ends and it has been so long since I read the series I hardly remember anything besides hair twirling and pulling.

Anyway, about 40% through The Name of the Wind and I love it!

Azrayne

It pretty much ends exactly how you'd think it would. But it's worth it for the experience, Sanderson did a top notch job wrapping it up with a bang.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Even though I am trying to avoid this thread I feel the need to ask this...

Anyone else get a major Harry Potter vibe from this book once Kvothe is accepted to the University? I feel like Kvothe is Harry and Ambrose is Malfoy, though it is written much better than Harry Potter it just really feels like a copy cat. Also, I get a strong Holden Caulfield vibe from Kvothe from time to time. Am I alone? Anyone else see those similarities?

Anyway, still enjoying it Kvothe just made Journeyman Artificer. Kindle says I am 67% done.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Even though I am trying to avoid this thread I feel the need to ask this...

Anyone else get a major Harry Potter vibe from this book once Kvothe is accepted to the University? I feel like Kvothe is Harry and Ambrose is Malfoy, though it is written much better than Harry Potter it just really feels like a copy cat. Also, I get a strong Holden Caulfield vibe from Kvothe from time to time. Am I alone? Anyone else see those similarities?

Anyway, still enjoying it Kvothe just made Journeyman Artificer. Kindle says I am 67% done.
I haven't read Harry Potter, but from the scattered pieces of the movies I've seen it doesn't seem anything similar other than superficially. Not the least of which because magic is something wholly different in the KKC series, there's a physicality and science aspect to it that I never got from HP. It was more faeries from a disney movie magic. That said, I've read book 2 day 1 when it came out so not sure if I'm adding in pieces of that as well.

Azrayne

There's definitely a bit of HP in there - a school for magic, the awesome library, mysterious tunnels, an enemy in the form of a bullying rich kid, etc.

Hell, I'd say HP handles romance and sex than Kingkiller does :/

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Finished Book One last night (stayed up way to late). I have to say I enjoyed the first 40% more than the last 60%, it went a little down hill for me once he went to The University. It was not a steep hill though, I still enjoyed all of it, I just enjoyed the first 40% more.