Paul Allen finds lost WW2 Cruiser USS Indianapolis

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Billionaire Paul Allen Finds Lost World War II Cruiser USS Indianapolis in the Philippine Sea

I didn't know where else to put this, kinda neat though.

Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sunk cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.

Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist, led a search team, assisted by historians from the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) in Washington, D.C., to accomplish what past searches had failed to do – find Indianapolis, considered the last great naval tragedy of World War II.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cool, glad they found it finally. Given the current track record of the USN they'll likely have a few more to find over the next few years.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

If I was fuck-you rich, I would try to accomplish something like this. Not necessarily Naval, just something that was a big project that saved or gained some history in some way that a normal Joe could never afford to do. It doesn't have to be Alexander or Columbus or Einstein, but just a little something that I could add to the pile of human history.

This is a better product than if he had landed in jail for killing hookers in Thailand or something. This is the good way to spend lots of money, imo.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
*Finds USS Indianapolis*
*Raises ship from 5500 feet of water*
*Ship sees on the deck of the support ship that raised it a tranny, 2 guys kissing each other, and finds out Dukes of Hazard was yanked from TV due to flag*
*Ship slowly sinks back down to 5500 feet of water*

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users