Pets

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It seems like females are less likely to jump to their full ability. I put my male border collie in my grandmother's back yard which has a solid wood 6 foot tall fence and 30 seconds later he was sitting on her front step wanting to come in. My female border collie has to be regularly reminded that she is capable of jumping into the back of the side by side which is like 3.5 feet high.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My GSD is 12, so her fence jumping days are long gone. But I relied heavily on the fact that she just didn't know she was entirely capable of jumping it. If you don't have a rescue dog who is aware of his own capabilities, you should be totally fine with just a fence.

Furthermore, with my experience with correctional E-collars, I fucking doubt an electric fence would have any impact at all on that dog. If she was intent on doing something, nothing was stopping her.
Yeah, I wouldn't trust the wireless fence, but if you're getting a new pup, the zap could teach it that it shouldn't even be near the fence before it gets to the stage where trying to dig under it or jump it is an option. I set up some of the little wire doorway gates when my current dog was a pup, and the couple of times that he tested them, I made a big show of suddenly/violently grabbing and chasing him with the gate. It only took a couple of times, and he still respects the shit out of any barrier, no matter how flimsy, even though he's big enough that a real door probably couldn't stop him if properly motivated.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So we got a dog last year in April. She was a surrender Aussiedoodle. She's the happiest, most playful dog ever, and she loves everyone and every dog. She about 15 months old. For a while we've been talking about getting another dog because she really needs a companion.

We got a male American Shepherd from our groomer, which she breeds. He's a little older than our dog, at about a year and 9 months. The groomer basically said he hasn't been socialized at all (I guess he just stays at home and plays with his parents, siblings, and cousins all day), but is super playful.

We had them meet a week ago and they ran around the groomers yard and had a blast. We got him Sunday, and it's now Thursday evening. He's scared of everything. Every noise, everything around the house. Our dog loves bubbles and one popped near him and he got startled. He'll play fetch a little, but if there are any outside noises he's done and wants inside. And once inside, he basically sits in one 10' radius all day. He will occasionally move around the house to explore the entrances to rooms, but quickly runs back to the safe spot. We were really hoping at some point he'd get used to the new surroundings and explore, but he just seems scared of it all.

I tried doing confidence drills with him by taking food and treats to get him to explore, but it doesn't seem to help. And my wife took him on a walk yesterday that sounded like it went okay, but not much progress today. We probably pushed our luck, because she walked him again today and a school bus's air brakes went off and got scared shitless and he wanted to run back to our house.

Is this dog just forever broken? My wife was always talking about socializing our dog, and I didn't quite grasp how important it is. I'm now seeing what a broken dog looks like. My wife originally wanted to give him two weeks to acclimate, but as he's not even showing small signs of improvement we're worried he's just not going to be compatible (we travel frequently, and for a dog that's scared of everything I'm afraid that'd be torture).

If anyone has any ideas that we can try over the next couple days, I'm all ears.
So we kept that dog for a few weeks, but he really never adjusted. We had the breeder over to visit a couple times and his attitude was just a complete 180 when she was around. We offered to do short term fostering of him to work on socializing and training him until he got adopted, but she basically said she would end up just keeping him. So yeah, he went home and he's been super happy. It's sad it didn't work out because he was a super sweet dog, but he just wasn't a good fit with our dog.

Two months after this, in April, we found a litter of aussiedoodles. There were three left when we saw them, and the minute they met, one of them and ours just played and played and played. We kind of wanted a male, but he seemed like a super unhealthy underweight. Of the two females, the one that bonded best was also one of the largest of the litter. We're expecting her to be about 50-55 pounds, which is more dog than we really wanted, but oh well. Our first one is about 35 pounds.

Anyway, figured I'd post pictures. The red merle is the first one we got, and the blue merle is the new one. They go absolutely apeshit with playing. My wife had talked to someone else that had multiple Aussies and said they call them "auss-holes" because they play so rough.

I'm not big on "designer" dogs, but they're pretty awesome. Smart as hell, super energetic, very happy.

Untitled.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a corgi beagle and he’s amazing
Wife and daughter got a Puggle (Pug and Beagle). Might truly be the dumbest and most stubborn breed I have ever seen. While it is cute in a fugly kinda way with the pug underbite, avoid like the plague.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Wife and daughter got a Puggle (Pug and Beagle). Might truly be the dumbest and most stubborn breed I have ever seen. While it is cute in a fugly kinda way with the pug underbite, avoid like the plague.
My childhood dog was a beagle, I’d expect you’d be taking the worst of both breeds.

The hound dog prey drive, willfulness, and stubborn stupidity of a beagle (particularly of a hunting litter).

The terrible health issues of a Pug (brachial snub nose dog).

At least the purebred beagle has superb health. I’ll say that is seems like a more significant range with beagles, some report very intellegent trainable dogs, I have to wonder if they might be from a more refined British line, where as the American Beagle was really I think at least, brought back to its narrow focus hunting roots.

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Beagles aren’t stupid, yes stubborn, but not stupid. They are just independent thinkers and tend to hyper fixate on whatever it is they are interested in.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Beagles aren’t stupid, yes stubborn, but not stupid. They are just independent thinkers and tend to hyper fixate on whatever it is they are interested in.
Pugs certainly are. Ours got the worst traits of both.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So I was putting the floor in our newly finished patio room.. Being helped by the worlds least helpful assistant...
1691120194826.png

She one of a pair of boxer/pit mixes we own. She looks exactly like her sire (boxer) and her sister looks exactly like the bitch (pit).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I was putting the floor in our newly finished patio room.. Being helped by the worlds least helpful assistant...
View attachment 485226
She one of a pair of boxer/pit mixes we own. She looks exactly like her sire (boxer) and her sister looks exactly like the bitch (pit).
You got litter mates? Yeaaaaa...

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You got litter mates? Yeaaaaa...
Mom died in birthing. These were the only two pups that survived. We were going to just take one, the family who was lined up for Sugar (the one in the pic) backed out and my wife had the "but they only have each other!" bit.. so we ended up with both. They're almost 6 years old now and have been absolutely great dogs. This is them when they were pups the afternoon after they got fixed and weren't all too happy with the humans..
1691153303678.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user