Pets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hosix

All labs matter!
E41050B1-0C22-434C-AFEB-820747D87126.jpeg

A French bulldog has joined my clan. The yellow lab is not amused.
5A2B1B0D-27F8-40FF-981E-ED7A20C31C77.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Tbf sleeping with one of those longboyes is like sleeping with a bicycle."
"A bag of furry elbows."

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Spent the night at animal hospital for my eight year old dauschund finding out he has CHF. My previous dog died in her sleep at 14 and was always healthy. I dread to make these decisions when emotionally involved. I don't want to watch my dog slowly suffocate to death but putting him down feels like I'm giving up on him. Any advice on how to weigh the decision from those who have been thru this?

they showed me the on the xray fluid in his lung but didn't give me a scale, his heart was quite enlarged but they did tell me his murmur was only 2/6 which seemed like good news. The one medicine L something really seemed to help with the breathing getting rid of the fluid he was up to 60 reps min last night, but this morning is much closer to normal but he wouldn't eat or drink. Just in the last 15 mins he perked up and I got him to take medicine and and drink.

My wife is an RN and is so much better suited to this but this her slam weekend of 39hrs of work so kind kind of my own for now. Shocking how fast his health changed has been so healthy. I think I've been spoiled in this regard I know people go through a lot with their pets that are sometime chronically ill. Just hate that feeling of being powerless to fix it, do I try to give him CPR if he stops breathing or do you just let them go?

His breathing has been much better last few days have a follow up appt soon, he is responding well to the meds so I think we have bought him more time and a quality of life level that's worth living.

My main question is going to be is how do I know when to end it prior to it getting really shitty. It's hard to pick a threshold, at this point I'm thinking that if his breathing starts to worsen while still on the meds that will probably have to put him down not going to wait till he is gasping for air as there is really nothing else that can be done.

Sitting with my doge this morning and remembered when I posted this, well 4 years later he's still going. He has been on three medications twice daily this entire time and it seems to have really helped him. He is certainly getting older now has been blind since shortly after this event but he's a happy dog. I don't know how long he has but I'm happy he's been with us well past what I thinking would happen after leaving that hospital.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Seems like being blind isn't nearly as big a deal for dogs as it is for humans. As long as their nose works, the can get by pretty well without their eyes. They do sometimes fall in holes and such, but if there aren't any unexpected falls around, they seem to get by just fine. My brother's beagle went blind and you could hardly tell except in certain situations. For the most part she acted like a normal dog.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Karen Allen refused to perform in that scene with all of the snakes so they put a stuntman in a dress to get the shot of “her” jumping into the pit, nevermind that they couldn’t get enough snakes for the scene, so they had to buy up all the glass lizards they could find to fill out the set.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like being blind isn't nearly as big a deal for dogs as it is for humans. As long as their nose works, the can get by pretty well without their eyes. They do sometimes fall in holes and such, but if there aren't any unexpected falls around, they seem to get by just fine. My brother's beagle went blind and you could hardly tell except in certain situations. For the most part she acted like a normal dog.
Yeah we had some family with a blind dog and he walked around and hung out just like a normal dog. He was pretty much an indoor dog other than going to the bathroom so nothing for him to fall into. The only time he had issues is when they’d rearrange furniture. He’d bump into stuff for a week before learning the new placement. Pretty wild that he knew the amount of steps he could take before hitting stuff and knew where he was within the room.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My bother's dog found us working on some fences 4 miles from the house once. I guess she just followed our scent (she was a beagle). When he was building his house though he cut the hole in the floor for the stairs to the basement and she walked in and fell 10 feet onto the concrete which was pretty hard on her. Luckily she didn't break anything.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Went to meet someone today at their house. Dude introduced me to his dog. Its called a Leonberger (or German Mountain Dog). Bastard was 180 pounds. Not Great Dane skinny big. This thing was a german tank. Random stock pictures of the breed below to show the size and scale of this monster. Nice as could be and very well behaved. I had never heard of these dogs before.

1614984255012.png

1614984372274.png

• 1WTF

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Went to meet someone today at their house. Dude introduced me to his dog. Its called a Leonberger (or German Mountain Dog). Bastard was 180 pounds. Not Great Dane skinny big. This thing was a german tank. Random stock pictures of the breed below to show the size and scale of this monster. Nice as could be and very well behaved. I had never heard of these dogs before.

View attachment 339904

View attachment 339905
Figure if you have something this big it better be trained well. Your 30 lb dog doesn’t listen to you oh well...your 180 lb monster doesn’t listen and jumps on someone or something RIP

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
I mean, it is somewhat cute, but if that was a child with the scarf or a stranger, then yeah... that would be real bad.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We have a dog like that. You do any kind of stretching she is crawling under you or on top of you or dropping a dog toy on your face. It’s like asshole cat behavior. She doesn’t have any personal bubble sensitivity.

The black one.

4A4B894E-D6A0-4C1E-AC7D-502EAA69359C.jpeg

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 339904

View attachment 339905

had to look them up, my guess before looking was they were bread to hunt bears, I was wrong, they were meant to be Clydesdales that can sleep in your house.

Leonbergers were kept as farm dogs and were much praised for their abilities in watchdog and draft work. They were frequently seen pulling carts around the villages of Bavaria and surrounding districts

Leonberger_09-650x437-608x409.jpg

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
had to look them up, my guess before looking was they were bread to hunt bears, I was wrong, they were meant to be Clydesdales that can sleep in your house.

Leonberger_09-650x437-608x409.jpg
Its hard to express just how big they are. Its not just the size, but the mass.