Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Servers don't seem too bad now compared to earlier but I'm on Ship 3 not 2. I heard 2 just absolutely crashed earlier today.

I'm streaming this on discord in the foh room atm

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I'm on Ship 2. Played all day, no server crash, but lots and lots of lag. Hit lvl9/6 with Gunner/Force with power lvl of 952. I guess you can't have a Ranger/Gunner combo using Rifles for some reason. I had wanted to use Blight Rounds, but I guess its a Main class skill.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I got this on the Xbox Series X, and played about 2 hours. I didn't get hooked at all. Combat and setting just didn't do much for me.

I'll give it another try, but I feel this isn't going to appeal to me.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
This game looks like what would happen if someone told you to make an MMO that you could only play by going to The Sega Arcade in Akihabara.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’ve never played any pso game before but have been to Japan, and holy shit this game transcends peak weab and enters Japan only territory. Everything about it, the over the top style and animations, the insane sound effects, the music, it’s all just a bit too much and feels somehow to me like being in a crowded pachinko parlor. The poster above nailed it, the game is like akihabara distilled into mmo form. Going to try keep playing but it’s just jarring beyond belief for me

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm confused. Do armor upgrades not have a visual component? Reason why I ask is why does the character creator have so many options for clothing only for it to get covered up later?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm confused. Do armor upgrades not have a visual component? Reason why I ask is why does the character creator have so many options for clothing only for it to get covered up later?
Armor has no visual effect at all. You get a base outfit based on class, anything else comes from RNG cash shop or maybe the Auction house afaik.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Armor has no visual effect at all. You get a base outfit based on class, anything else comes from RNG cash shop or maybe the Auction house afaik.

It's worth noting that ANYTHING from the AC cash shop if it's not used can be sold for meseta. Once you use the ticket once, then it unlocks for that character. If you use two tickets, it unlocks for the account as a whole.

So in short, to be clear, you can still get the paid only cosmetics while still being free to play.

SG scratch tickets in PSO2G were not tradeable at all -- I am not sure if NGS follows that but I think it will. Sega has also said that everyone will get 1 free SG scratch per day upon logon when there's a SG scratch for sale. Additional SG scratches iirc will be 50SG each.

Edit: To be clear I mean anything from an AC scratch card. I didn't mean to imply things like your premium tickets and such were tradeable for meseta. But all the cosmetics are.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I’ve never played any pso game before but have been to Japan, and holy shit this game transcends peak weab and enters Japan only territory. Everything about it, the over the top style and animations, the insane sound effects, the music, it’s all just a bit too much and feels somehow to me like being in a crowded pachinko parlor. The poster above nailed it, the game is like akihabara distilled into mmo form. Going to try keep playing but it’s just jarring beyond belief for me

Yeah that weab shit is fucking awful. Loved the old Genesis Phantasy Star games and enjoyed PS Universe, but this shit is just too much

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
All that grinding in PSO2 had its payday today.

1624458261852.png

1,800 star gems for getting every class to level 100 before NGS launch in normal PSO.

Kinda disappointed in NGS. Pretty content dry, and they are taking the same approach as PSO2, which was to release a barebones game, and trickle in content over the years. It'll eventually be awesome but atm I log on, do some stuff, and then done for the day. Already have everything 20, 4* +40 units, and 4* +40 Lv4 potential weapons.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
NGS Has been a shitshow content wise, and there's been nothing to do since release other than leveling to 20, but early tomorrow morning at 3AM central, they go back online with the next update with a LOT of new content. Still no new region (December) but they are adding the mission pass (everyone including free to play will get a gold ticket for the first one), free to play shop passes so they can sell items not, bouncer class, new quest types, and many other enhancements.

They also fell on their sword about the lack of content and owned up to the fact that launch was less than great.

Either way, if you were on the fence about this, it might be a decent idea to check out the new stuff coming in the next patch. Timestamped video here to the new stuff coming tomorrow --- these are the same video but two different timestamps!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I was really excited about this, tried it on release, and noped out pretty early - not sure how with 8 (?) years more tech they managed to make it clunkier than pso2.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I was really excited about this, tried it on release, and noped out pretty early - not sure how with 8 (?) years more tech they managed to make it clunkier than pso2.

Game is really fun as you're going through the content, though its probably honestly not going to give you the good pso2 vibes until the next few years. Sega has mismanaged NGS really, really badly. But they have publicly acknowledged it so hopefully things get better in the future. But they are gonna have to pull out a NMS type situation to really turn it around, and that sucks.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
New NGS Headline from 5am today going over some of the updates coming on the 14th.