Pick My Last Charity for the Year

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have decided to let the community pick my last charity for the year.

I was thinking about Child's Play but I am open to any suggestions.

You people have $400 to spend for me.

This thread will be for suggestions and then I will take probably 3-5 out of here and make a poll out of it.

RULES:

1.) It needs to be a non-profit with a receipt.
2.) It needs to be slightly tasteful and something I would be interested in. No charities like "Buy a hooker for an Asian kid dying of cancer".

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Feliz Navidad, Happy Hanukkah, Festivus Greetings, Yo Kwanzaa be gud, etc..

Rime

<Donor>
rrr_img_53775.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Make a donation to Make-a-Wish in the name of every person who shit on the Batkid thread.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm partial to genetic disease related ones myself - I believe Child's Play does specialize in childhood genetic diseases primarily though, right?

Genetic ddiseases are the worst and kids should never be burdened with the costs - and are generally going to be the most aappreciative.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
GiveDirectly-- because almost all other charities are worthless and refuse to take part in proper impact evaluation to see whether anything they do actually creates value. (edit: Doctors Without Borders is a notable exception. They also have the integrity to ask people NOT to donate to them during certain crises, because there's nothing they can do with the additional money beyond what they're already doing. Unlike many other organizations that use it as fundraising opportunity.)

In terms of outcomes, simply giving people money with no strings attached seems to perform significantly better than anything else. It's the latest craze in development econ and they seem to have a very efficient way of getting money to the right people.

Also, it's unlikely an organization like this will get a big share of the charitable contribution pie. People don't trust the poor to make good choices and love paternalistic organizations that make choices for them. Something like buying a goat that forces people into a business that leads to virtually no profit and no opportunity for growth. Makes the donor feel good, but leaves the recipient worse off than if he had simply received cash.