Pig (2021)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Pig

Tagline: We don't get a lot of things to really care about.

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Michael Sarnoski

Cast: Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin, Nina Belforte, Gretchen Corbett, Dalene Young, Darius Pierce, Elijah Ungvary, Brian Sutherland, David Knell, Sean Tarjyoto, Tom Walton, Dana Millican, October Moore

Release: 2021-07-16

Runtime: 92

Plot: A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 362105

Title:
Pig (2020)

Genre: Mystery & Thriller, Drama

Director: Michael Sarnoski

Cast: Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin, Nina Belforte, Gretchen Corbett, Julia Bray, Darius Pierce, Elijah Ungvary

Release: 2021-07-16

Plot: A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do you think he seeks out these screenplays with weird ass plots or do people actively seek him out for them?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
He's had more hits than misses recently so I'm in for this one

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Chances this hits torrents same day of release?

I see its getting some type of theatrical run in select theaters. But what about web distribution?

Any web distributor carrying this movie? That'd make it available same day.

spronk

FPS noob
It is theatrical release only at release, so don't expect any decent torrents for a while. The production company has an exclusive distribution deal with Hulu so expect it on there within a fairly short window, probably 30 or 45 days, similar to Palm Springs (which went straight to Hulu).

Pretty much most movies that are not Warner Bros at this point are going into a theatrical only 30,45, or 90 day window at this point so expect a return to "wait a few months for a good torrent". WB is sticking to HBO Max on day and date for the rest of 2021. Jungle Cruise is the last $30 D+ Premiere, Shang Chi and Eternals are theatrical only.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Watched it, pretty surprised. Expected some semi-entertaining crap like most of his movies lately have been, but this was a legitimately good movie.

Hard to say why it worked for me exactly. I feel like the director tossed all the pitfalls of modern movies in front of the main character, and he danced around them in a way that made the movie a unique/enjoyable experience.

I'd say the movie reminded me in a way of one hour photo, but that's completely not what I expected going in.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As a native Oregonian I've known a few mushroom hunters. Unsurprisingly they are weird, weird motherfuckers. In Coos Bay there was a mushroom shack next to a local produce market for as long as I could remember. The local mushroom dudes would come there with their haul every few days or so and get paid cash for it. None of them had pigs though.

Being a small town with little else to do I went out looking with them sometimes. This is how I learned about safely navigating the forests in the area and identifying mushrooms. They quickly showed me how to find magic mushrooms and they clearly did a fucking lot of them. Which was how I started doing them.

I'm going to watch this.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Good movie, and surprisignly good acting from Cage. Not that I thought that he was a bad actor, but the last movies where I saw him were Color Out of Space, Jiu Jistsu, and Mandy (which was glorious ; most Metal movie ever ; but he is full insane there), so it was nice to see him play a more "serious" role again.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Decent flick.

Only part I thought it was missing.

1627328651490.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched it, pretty surprised. Expected some semi-entertaining crap like most of his movies lately have been, but this was a legitimately good movie.

Hard to say why it worked for me exactly. I feel like the director tossed all the pitfalls of modern movies in front of the main character, and he danced around them in a way that made the movie a unique/enjoyable experience.

I'd say the movie reminded me in a way of one hour photo, but that's completely not what I expected going in.
Yeah, I was telling my coworker that I watched this over my time off, as I had shown him the trailer right before I left, and I had a hard time saying why I liked it. I mean, I can point out some fairly ridiculous moments easily, but they somehow worked. No idea why. Partly due to his acting, sure, but the absolutely ridiculous premise and events somehow all came together and made a movie that, when I was done with it, I thought "Huh, not bad."

My only nitpicks:
He sure took that dude's word about the fate of the pig at face value, and damn quick too. I guess he had no reason to doubt him, but if someone steals your bike and you track them down and their like, "Oh, I lost it," you're gonna want a little more proof than that, right? Not sure what proof someone that legitimately lost it could give to make you believe them, but still.

I did also feel it was a little silly that the way the dad got back at his son for "stepping on his toes" in the business was to steal that one fucking pig. Were those couple of truffles a week literally the son's entire business empire? Even with truffles being potentially worth thousands, you don't "threaten" the business of a big deal like his father with just those in your portfolio. Granted, I am not sure they showed anything else the son was into, but there had to be easier things, like failing inspections with a health inspector perhaps. I'm sure the dad could have done that if he wanted. But no, let's steal one fucking pig!

Even with those, still somehow really enjoyed the movie. Can't put it into words though.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Even with those, still somehow really enjoyed the movie. Can't put it into words though.

Having thought about it more, I definitely think this is a case of good synergy between the script/actors and director. Nothing about the movie is spectacular, in a way I'd say it's even a simple movie despite how bizarre the story is at face value, but that also is part of why it worked so well for me. Just one of those movies where everyone is on the same wavelength.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database