Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

bytes

Molten Core Raider
It's an Obsidian game. You can have Eder with saves in the hundreds or Kana with dozens of INT. Don't know what these guys were doing, but there's people saying the release version introduced previously fixed bugs again.

Also, why are anonymous negs allowed, this shit is no fun. If I'm being told to kill myself, I at least would like to know where it's coming from.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
List of the loading screen tips :Pillars of Eternity: Loading Screen Tips - Orcz.com, The Video Games Wiki

Guy posted this link on Reddit - 10,000 fantasy avatars :Avatars Fantasy - Drakonis -

1. Open the picture in an image editor (Photoshop or whatever does the job for you) and adjust the image size. You will need two versions of any picture, one being the size of 210x330 (width x height) and one the size of 76x96 pixels.

2. Save these, preferably as XXX_lg.png for the larger and XXX_sm.png for the smaller picture.

3. Go to ...\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portr aits

4. Select where you want to add the picture, for example in the "Player" folder if you want to be able to use it for your custom character.

Caliane

So... my one complaint so far is the scouting/hidden stash double speed necessity. Why not just make perception find hidden shit and not make me sneak everyfuckingwhere? How's about that?
I haven't really had time to sit down and play.

But, yeah, how searching works in classic inf engine games is spotty. yes, it makes sense to have "stop and search" as a function. in fact, searching should presumably be more like a metroid scan, you search a specific area, in line of sight or something. in game this ends up more tedious then anything else though. As the game generally does not feel like a real dungeon crawl. such a mechanic would feel better in a game like Thief, or tomb raider. You could then make it work and feel good if you designed more for that. And did only put hidden things in places that "make" sense, so players do not feel obligated to walk around searching every square inch of the game world. And don't feel like they might of missed something for not doing so.
and yeah, passive spotting should be like 50% of your active spot checking. with potentially more buffs for rangers with survival, theifs, etc. +spoting for lore for arcane based secrets, etc. that kind of thing.

Another problem I had with inf engine games was the main character problem. As I said before, your MC does all the talking generally. Your MC is a warrior, and fails int checks/lore checks, while the grand high wizard of your party just sits there with his mouth shut. I wish dialogues were party based more.

Rogue MC in inf engine games had a bit of a problem too.. Scouting/stealthing. Dialogue prompts, and other triggers will pull you out of stealth, often teleport you into melee with the guys you are going to have to fight after the talk.

Pillars of Eternity World Map - Walkthrough with Maps & Game Guide.
This does remind me of something that struck me during character creation.
As that one linked review states, you get just a TON of lore, etc in regards to world, and character background during creation, which means nothing to you the player. Absolutely no context at all.
I really wish they had just dropped a world map in there, so when picking home region, etc, you had at least an IDEA of context.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Im doing something wrong.

My main is a rogue bow user.
I got the wizard from outside the inn. Eder. A dwarf warrior with maxxed con. A godlike chanter. A hireling priest with maces and priest things On hard. And shades in the temple just wreck me. everything wrecks me. I have been playing bg forever and i have never got my ass kicked so hard.

radditsu

I haven't really had time to sit down and play.

But, yeah, how searching works in classic inf engine games is spotty. yes, it makes sense to have "stop and search" as a function. in fact, searching should presumably be more like a metroid scan, you search a specific area, in line of sight or something. in game this ends up more tedious then anything else though. As the game generally does not feel like a real dungeon crawl. such a mechanic would feel better in a game like Thief, or tomb raider. You could then make it work and feel good if you designed more for that. And did only put hidden things in places that "make" sense, so players do not feel obligated to walk around searching every square inch of the game world. And don't feel like they might of missed something for not doing so.
and yeah, passive spotting should be like 50% of your active spot checking. with potentially more buffs for rangers with survival, theifs, etc. +spoting for lore for arcane based secrets, etc. that kind of thing.

Another problem I had with inf engine games was the main character problem. As I said before, your MC does all the talking generally. Your MC is a warrior, and fails int checks/lore checks, while the grand high wizard of your party just sits there with his mouth shut. I wish dialogues were party based more.

Rogue MC in inf engine games had a bit of a problem too.. Scouting/stealthing. Dialogue prompts, and other triggers will pull you out of stealth, often teleport you into melee with the guys you are going to have to fight after the talk.

Pillars of Eternity World Map - Walkthrough with Maps & Game Guide.
This does remind me of something that struck me during character creation.
As that one linked review states, you get just a TON of lore, etc in regards to world, and character background during creation, which means nothing to you the player. Absolutely no context at all.
I really wish they had just dropped a world map in there, so when picking home region, etc, you had at least an IDEA of context.
3rd edition or 3.5 had elves actively searching at full ranks. that would be a good addition

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

I got the wizard from outside the inn. Eder. A dwarf warrior with maxxed con. A godlike chanter. A hireling priest with maces and priest things On hard. And shades in the temple just wreck me. everything wrecks me. I have been playing bg forever and i have never got my ass kicked so hard.
Don't go into that temple yet. Do some of the other quests in the area and shit.

radditsu

Don't go into that temple yet. Do some of the other quests in the area and shit.
Well from what im reading. the game mechanics kinda bone a rogue. Cripple doesnt work. invis is per day instead of per encounter Etc. I may reroll a cipher and replace a priest with druid.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

You need two tanks, imho. Either two legit character classes as tanks, or at least a tank + ranger pet. At early levels, 1 tank can't keep aggro on more than 2-3 mobs. So when you get in a fight with 3-4+ monsters, your casters/ranged are going to get wrecked

khalid

Unelected Mod
Shades are kinda special though, they seem to very often just warp to casters. That area pretty much sucks.

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
Boggles the mind why they thought it would be a good idea for stealth to be a party-wide toggle.

They say the whole point of being a rogue with stealth is to get in advantageous positions. Whats the point of getting in an advantageous position if the second my fucking fighter is spotted my rogue instantly loses stealth too? GG.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Has anyone had a party member leave or fight with another party member yet ? seems that whole dynamic is left out of this game ( unlike in BG1 and 2 ) .. At least I have not seen it and my party members do not seem to react to what i do at all ( i.e. good or evil choices ).

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Boggles the mind why they thought it would be a good idea for stealth to be a party-wide toggle.

They say the whole point of being a rogue with stealth is to get in advantageous positions. Whats the point of getting in an advantageous position if the second my fucking fighter is spotted my rogue instantly loses stealth too? GG.
Just separate the toons.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
You completely missed the point. Have you even played the game? If you did you would know that separating the toons isn't the solution, it's the root of the fucking problem.
1. You are a douchebag. 2. I am not sure if it is a timing or positioning thing but if i put my cypher stealthed in a spot away from mobs, and shoot a mob with fighter, Cypher does not get aggro.

try to think out of the box, maybe .

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
1. You are a douchebag. 2. I am not sure if it is a timing or positioning thing but if i put my cypher stealthed in a spot away from mobs, and shoot a mob with fighter, Cypher does not get aggro.

try to think out of the box, maybe .
Because thinking outside the box allows my rogue to get a backstab off and not get facerolled? Oh wait, it doesn't.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

I hrar ya, if my main was not cipher not sure how I would handle alot of the fIghts.

WIthout CC I would get raped.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Because thinking outside the box allows my rogue to get a backstab off and not get facerolled? Oh wait, it doesn't.
we are all learning dood chill.

Rogue must be stealth for backstabbing or just flanked? If stealth thst seems like a bug to me.

I have found it easier to use MMO pulling mechanichs with my cipher stealthed. Hit mob with bow and keep her off to the side. I do that with the Wizzy too. Or they get raped.

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
we are all learning dood chill.

Rogue must be stealth for backstabbing or just flanked? If stealth thst seems like a bug to me.

I have found it easier to use MMO pulling mechanichs with my cipher stealthed. Hit mob with bow and keep her off to the side. I do that with the Wizzy too. Or they get raped.
Unfortunately it requires you to be in stealth to backstab. Sneak attacks work out of stealth but they aren't nearly as effective. Just wish I could keep my rogue in stealth when my party engages so I can then backstab but eh, they seem to have confirmed that changes are coming.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I'm doing a melee cipher. Was rough at the start but now I'm smashing faces. The paralyze at level 2 and the AE that bounces are broken as shit. Pure glass cannon so I cast two spells at the start, go in and murder something with my giant 2her, then cast some more.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Unfortunately it requires you to be in stealth to backstab. Sneak attacks work out of stealth but they aren't nearly as effective. Just wish I could keep my rogue in stealth when my party engages so I can then backstab but eh, they seem to have confirmed that changes are coming.
Ya dood, that sucks and is broken.