Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I'm doing a melee cipher. Was rough at the start but now I'm smashing faces. The paralyze at level 2 and the AE that bounces are broken as shit. Pure glass cannon so I cast two spells at the start, go in and murder something with my giant 2her, then cast some more.
Yes ! I learned that Cipher has to hit shit. I use a fast weapon so they hit alot and took a bonus of +2 focus per hit. Now I always have enough focus to cast that AE Hold, that saves me most fights as long as she doesn't get aggro. Without that, i would be raped.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rogues get skills later that allow you to disengage from combat and or go invisible mid combat, this allows them to backstab. Early levels they are a weak fighter with blind instead of knockdown.

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya dood, that sucks and is broken.
Yup, right now the best(only) way to deal with fights on hard+ is just to pull things to a choke-point and have the tank(s) block it. Unfortunately, that means your rogues have to stay in the back and auto-attack with ranged. Now how I envisaged playing mine. Disappointing.

Rogues get skills later that allow you to disengage from combat and or go invisible mid combat, this allows them to backstab. Early levels they are a weak fighter with blind instead of knockdown.
Currently not working.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Also, does the game take your reputation as a factor further in? Right now none of my companions banter with each other at all and I can't tell dick all is being changed by my actions, other than the page on the character sheet. Not to the first city yet but that and the sneaking are where the game feels like it falls short right now.

In BG half the fun was listening to your idiots tell each other who was the bigger idiot. It was like a game a solo queue in LOL.

ili_sl

shitlord
Has anyone had a party member leave or fight with another party member yet ? seems that whole dynamic is left out of this game ( unlike in BG1 and 2 ) .. At least I have not seen it and my party members do not seem to react to what i do at all ( i.e. good or evil choices ).
At the start of the game where the warrior wants to go and the rogue(if you let him get injured) wants to make camp. If you camp she runs off. Seems like the only place where something like that happens. It obvious the game was rushed so much stuff got left out.

ili_sl

shitlord
The ai and pathing are crap. Half the time your characters will stick on another unless you manually move them around, even if they have a clear path. Mobs can be pulled/split by pulling from a far with one character / pet(pets work the best). Half the mobs will go back other half will keep chasing or they will get stuck on wall/ect. Mobs have leashing.

Act 3 was a joke. I thought maybe the game had another map or something, but no. Game was to short. feel sorry for people who paid / kick-started for more the $30. I guess it should be expected from a kick-started game.. half assed and rushed.

Story was okay.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I've played through on hard without any generated characters, I picked a PC ranger. I have Eder, Durance, Kana, Aloth, and Sagani (barely). I did all of chapter 1 with just those 5, strategically I put a shield on edur and stuck him in defensive stance the whole time. When indoors or in a dungeon of any kind I would stick him to the right or left edge of a door frame, pull with a ranger. Run back through - he's enough to bodyblock the enemies (and out side of the teleporting shades) the enemies more or less queue up. Take Aloth stick him on the opposide side of the door, cast fan of flames. You can rotate the cone until Eder turns green, then barely back off it. Cast a couple fire cones, + his on encounter use stuff. I always open every fight of note with Blessing.

If you are out of doors, trapping or the spell equivalent can simulate control relative to corridors. Durance has a tier 2 spell called Repulsing Seal, you can cast it, set your tank in it - or go agro with your tank then run him right back into that spot. It will likely give you enough time to open the fight and get numbers down to keep him alive. Circle of Healing (priest tier 2 radiate area heal) seemed to be the most efficient heal assuming you don't need the spike, It is ae - but you must have the priest by the person who needs healed - which is fine, his staff hits decently hard as long as he isn't the focus of his attack target. Traps also work great in doorways you have your tank setup to hold in. Can slow down that initial spike damage to get enough rounds off.

If you haven't you should definitely set some auto pause features, Low endurance probably saves you more time than anything. I try to be as stingy with my spells as possible giving the camping restriction, but I prioritize using all of my per encounter abilities across all the characters.

Flanking really works and matters, if you can use the terrain to rotate fights your melee damage output will go up a lot. out of doors - its easy to flank wide, in a cooridoor make your tank hug a wall let agro settle around him then come up the with the rogue. If you have a second offtank option you can place them on the opposite wall to be a body block to keep the rogue free.

Spell wise, I have prioritized the debuff system quite a bit. The wizard spells I cast often are, Curse of the Blackened Sight, Expose Vulnerabilities, and Arcane Dampener. The first provides an AE blindness - its a circular ranged spell - easy to hit from safe positions. The second does -DR as that a priority stat for me. Arcane Dampener I use to deal with any encounter that has a lot of enemy spells. Anything to spike down casters. There are 16 Afflictions in the game, I'm sure there are easily other combinations that work. If you can inflict a few specific afflictions you can disengage without being attacked. Its a really useful tool to break your characters out of melee range when they are low health.

Another very good spell - if you lose control of a fight and need to save someone is the priest spell Withdraw. Its a invulnerability bubble and as far as my experience goes the character will regenerate to 100% before popping out.

I'm pretty sure rogue gets sneak attack damage on anything that's afflicted by an ailment or flanked - but I'm not 100% on that. The custom formations you can create are very useful. Speeds up combat a lot as my default formation is effectively how I want my characters spaced for any general fight.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Also, does the game take your reputation as a factor further in? Right now none of my companions banter with each other at all and I can't tell dick all is being changed by my actions, other than the page on the character sheet. Not to the first city yet but that and the sneaking are where the game feels like it falls short right now.

In BG half the fun was listening to your idiots tell each other who was the bigger idiot. It was like a game a solo queue in LOL.
The banter begins inside the first city, after I had a full party. Eder has my favorite dialog so far.

Edit: Reading this thread makes this game sound like a piece of shit, which I can hardly believe people are suggesting. The game offers heavy micro management autopausing combat. It seems like a lot of people don't want to pause and use skills and control the game. They want to just click two buttons. People have said you must use generated characters - you don't. Sure its not perfect, but the games its being compared to aren't either. I read absolutely nothing about the game.

Edit: My reputation has definitely created situations where NPCS act a bit differently to me. If you really want to see what's behind the hood of the writing, turn on show personality/reputation. Inside the game options. It will tell you what the intent of each answer is and even show if it has a reputation effect on the communities at large. Being honest has had quest givers or other npc's trust me with objects immediately, and I believe there are some options that would have been hidden without prior tendencies but I couldn't say that for certain as I haven't seen the game more than once.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
The banter begins inside the first city, after I had a full party. Eder has my favorite dialog so far.

Edit: Reading this thread makes this game sound like a piece of shit, which I can hardly believe people are suggesting. The game offers heavy micro management autopausing combat. It seems like a lot of people don't want to pause and use skills and control the game. They want to just click two buttons. People have said you must use generated characters - you don't. Sure its not perfect, but the games its being compared to aren't either. I read absolutely nothing about the game.

Edit: My reputation has definitely created situations where NPCS act a bit differently to me. If you really want to see what's behind the hood of the writing, turn on show personality/reputation. Inside the game options. It will tell you what the intent of each answer is and even show if it has a reputation effect on the communities at large. Being honest has had quest givers or other npc's trust me with objects immediately, and I believe there are some options that would have been hidden without prior tendencies but I couldn't say that for certain as I haven't seen the game more than once.
Turning that shit on ( personality / rep ). ty sir.

ili_sl

shitlord
I'm at 26 hours and still on act 1. Not sure I agree.
Well I played on hard, did most of the quest, read the story, cleared the endless place and finished in about 30 hours.. I think two rangers + one chanter using arbalest( with ranged chant ) is op. I had no problem with anything(even the final boss). Ranger crit'ing for over 100 sometimes with prone/knock down ranged weapons. Plus you get two extra tanks from the Rangers & Chanter summoning ogres. I think a lot of people ignore their quick slots for pots and food buffs.. etc. it makes the game a lot easier. Plus crafting/enchanting and putting traps down in combat. I think people just don't know how to play these games and it takes them forever.

Shit got boring near the end with everything dying so fast. Once Rangers get arrow bounce its ogre.

I feel it would have been even faster if the ai and pathing weren't complete crap.

iannis

Musty Nester
I probably needed a 4man party for the temple instead of a 3man. All up in your defiled temple, camping out and shit.

Just playing on normal first run. I don't understand people who select hardcore nightmare and then complain that the game is too hard.

It's purdy good so far, not that I've had time to play much.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I probably needed a 4man party for the temple instead of a 3man. All up in your defiled temple, camping out and shit.

Just playing on normal first run. I don't understand people who select hardcore nightmare and then complain that the game is too hard.

It's purdy good so far, not that I've had time to play much.
It honestly feels too easy on hard right now. Once I got to level 3 and got 5 companions it seems pretty simple.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I skipped doing Raedric's castle for awhile, went back to do it. Ended up getting stuck. No matter how I tried to zone out, would crash me. Tried the multiple ways to get out of the keep, nothing.

In case anyone has had a similar problem, finally found a fix with this mod...

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity

One of its options is to autosave before an area transition (rather than after by default) and that fixed in it.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Really enjoy the developer commentary but I wish they'd wait a minute to talk when you enter an instance, it always spoils shit 5 seconds before you find it. So glad I went into this blind.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Re: Shades - Kill them with fire.

No,really. Even just giving your melees a torch for offhand makes a noticeable difference.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Re: Shades - Kill them with fire.

No,really. Even just giving your melees a torch for offhand makes a noticeable difference.
I had the wizard pick the scorching ray equivalent as a level 2 spell and it just ruins my tank. maybe i should give the burning hands equivalent a try. I must be in a bg mindframe and its killing me. But i will restart anyway. The rogue stuff is just too broken right now.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Is the XP bugged? The rate at which my characters gain XP seems completely randomized. Sometimes I'll kill level appropriate mobs and get absolutely no XP at all (ie. just killed a group of 5 guards in Raedric's Castle at level 3 and didn't get a single point of XP), sometimes some mobs in fights will give me XP and some of them won't, or sometimes it just throws out completely random numbers that don't match what the log says (ie. I undid a trap and it says I gained 30 XP. Check character sheet and my XP there has gone up by... 2).

So yeah, what the fuck?

Otherwise enjoying the game, although the combat and the animations are a bit clunky and the setting isn't really doing it for me (I get that GRIMDARK is all the rage in fantasy these days, but I was hoping for a bit more of the old classic BG feel. Sure the BG story was rather dark, especially if you went balls to the wall evil, but the world was bright and colorful and engaging, not just greys/browns/blacks and huge dead trees with dozens of fucking corpses hanging off them). I find it kinda ironic that the IE spiritual successor has a darker atmosphere than D3 did.

I had the wizard pick the scorching ray equivalent as a level 2 spell and it just ruins my tank. maybe i should give the burning hands equivalent a try. I must be in a bg mindframe and its killing me. But i will restart anyway. The rogue stuff is just too broken right now.
Burning Hands (or whatever it's called so the D&D peeps don't sue them) wrecks shit, highly recommend it. One of the advantages of the slightly clunkier combat (and the targeting markers) is that it's much easier to throw around AOE spells without raping your own party.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
You only get XP for killing mobs when you're still learning about them - once you've capped that, they stop giving xp.