Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Argarth

On the verandah
I know that this will be a bit different, but I'll always be thankful to Obsidian for making NWN2 and MotB. God I loved those two games.

So pumped for this.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This comes out around my birthday and my favorite game of all time was Baldur's Gate II. I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Backed it with 20 dollars, I think. 90 update mails later and we're near a release date. Yay.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I updated the release date in the original post since I've been lazy about it, definitely looking forward to this, kinda wished it didn't come out at the same time as Bloodborne though. The class building shit looks fucking awesome, although it's almost guaranteed to be broken unbalanced because of all the possibilities.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I updated the release date in the original post since I've been lazy about it, definitely looking forward to this, kinda wished it didn't come out at the same time as Bloodborne though. The class building shit looks fucking awesome, although it's almost guaranteed to be broken unbalanced because of all the possibilities.
All the best RPGs are broken and unbalanced. That's part of their charm - breaking them. Everything from Fallout to Planescape and Baulder's Gate had its fair share of balance issues.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
All the best RPGs are broken and unbalanced. That's part of their charm - breaking them. Everything from Fallout to Planescape and Baulder's Gate had its fair share of balance issues.
Well there's broken and broken, I feel with this game and the way they're making the class and stats work, stacking a full group of a certain build will probably break every combat encounters, which I don't feel was necessarily the case in like Baldur's Gate. You could solo with a bunch of classes and you could kite and do weird stuff, but there wasn't really a "stack 6paladins and left click to victory" which I feel is going to happen with this. We'll see though. Oh and maybe I'm wrong about Baldur's Gate.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Well there's broken and broken, I feel with this game and the way they're making the class and stats work, stacking a full group of a certain build will probably break every combat encounters, which I don't feel was necessarily the case in like Baldur's Gate. You could solo with a bunch of classes and you could kite and do weird stuff, but there wasn't really a "stack 6paladins and left click to victory" which I feel is going to happen with this. We'll see though. Oh and maybe I'm wrong about Baldur's Gate.
You are very wrong about Baldur's gate. The shenanigans you could get up to with the main character were ridiculous. Warrior/Rogue hybrid that could one hit almost any enemy in the game with backstab being one example.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You are very wrong about Baldur's gate. The shenanigans you could get up to with the main character were ridiculous. Warrior/Rogue hybrid that could one hit almost any enemy in the game with backstab being one example.
But you had to solo to get enough xp to pull it off, though I guess yeah there were stupid shit especially if you killed Drizzt for his weapons and you could do that at lvl 1(or 2 whatever you ended up as) with the staff that summoned animals and stuff. Full party though, less so that I remember, most of the shennigans involved being solo to get way overleveled as a multiclass then wreck shit with immortal mage/fighter stuff or one shotting stealthing guy.

Anyway, this game has a lot of pretty cool classes and I like that they gave them each(or almost) unique mechanics to make them really different from each other. The "bard" looks pretty awesome in this, you can make your songs by piecing together some minor buffs then when you've sang enough you can summon undead and shit, looks really cool. Bard in BG was zzzzz.

Hardest part will be to figure out what I'm playing. I expect the first 5hours will be spent playing the char creation and starting area over and over again with a few different stuff until I'm content with my choice, which I'll regret 20hours later and reroll halfway into the game.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dude you could do so much insanely stupid shit in BGII if you were clever. The Red Dragon you could kill easily when you first encounter him by buying a few wands of cloudkill and killing him outside of the aggro range. You could kill that one necromancer by leaving the room after the fight, sleeping and all of his protections had gone away. There were COMPLETELY broken classes. But it just took a little thinking. Kensai/Wizard combo was probably the most ridiculous, but it did take some doing to reach its potential.

Last playthrough I used a Shapeshifter Druid which made you a really strong fighter while still having the high level priest skills. I'm honestly not worried about classes that are broken because that's fine. I doubt it is going to be completely stupid, if its in the same spirit as BGII it will be a good time regardless.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My bro just texted said he got me a birthday present at Pax. It's Chris's autograph on a PoE shirt.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
got real confused for a sec.

use a diff acronym for Pillars. PoE is totally Path of Exile.

its PoE all over pax and trending PoE. PoE is totally Pillers of Eternity. Lol @ paths

In a seriousness we can call it "Pills"

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
LOL someone negged me for bumping this post to voice my impatience. What a little bitch.

Anyway, less than three weeks! Hopefully Cities isn't shit and this can be there when that starts to get boring

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My bro just texted said he got me a birthday present at Pax. It's Chris's autograph on a PoE shirt.
It's even more confusing cause the lead guy in path of exile is also named Chris (Wilson) and is generally considered a pretty cool guy by the community.

I think I'll just call it Eternity.

Anyway game's has had a lot of shit released about it, if you search on youtube or check the Neogaf thread about the beta, a bunch of people have made very detailed videos about mechanics and stuff. Now interestingly, most of these mechanics are actually explained ingame in the help/lore book thingie, which is pretty cool, but it's nice to see they have pretty indepth stuff going on.

I think I'll do Chanter for my main, it's like a necro/summoner/bard all in one, it's pretty cool shit and they look insanely useful. Or well, maybe insanely OP I'm not sure yet. From a quick look at it, a priest and a tank with 4chanters look broken as all fuck with all the debuffing/buffing/summoning you do. On the other hand I'll probably use the normal companions first to see their stories and shit so I won't be making a completely broken setup.